FINALLY Got it Rollin!

Re: FINALLY got it rollin'!

I hope for room temps to. If it is not room temps what pumps are you running in the bucket? I have had pump overkill in buckets before where the pumps are too big, circulating the water way to much in an hour and warming the water up to the pumps temp.
Check temps of your fresh water, get it to 60 before you even put it in the buckets.
If it is the room causing issues you need to get it cooler, do you have an intake fan or intake opening? If not that little computer fan won't suck any air out and that big bulb will just keep heating air up until it gets vented, it's like sucking air out of a bottle. I just see the exhaust fan you have but can't make out any fresh air intakes.

So what water pumps?
Fresh water temps? before it goes in buckets.
Fresh air intake?

The water temp issue is discouraging but not a deal breaker for me. Too much $$$, talking wife in to things and time invested, plus i am stubborn! How is everyone else maintaining water temps aside from the tips provided earlier? Ya' guys just keep the house ambient air cold as ever?
I mean out of the tap it is 74.6, sometimes 73 ish.

To get the temp down and the humidity up, try these:

You need a fan pulling heat out and a fan pulling cool air in.
You have to have an oscilating fan on the plants 24/7.
Lay wet rolled up like a cigar wash rags everywhere.
Hang a soaking wet bath towel on a cloths hanger and let it drip into a pan or bucket.
Put a frozen milk jug of water in front of a fan or let it drip into something by putting a pin hole in it.
Get a bucket, put ice in it or frozen water and blow a fan into the bucket, blowing cool air everywhere. And you can put Pine Sol or ONA in the bucket for Odor Control.
Put saucers and cups and pans of water everywhere.
Mist the plants with plain pH water.
Put Frozen cups of water on the lids and everywhere around the plants.
Insulate the reservoir with towels or blankets.
Cover the lid with something wet.
Put the air pumps where the Lights do not shine on them or heat them.

To get the temp down and the humidity up, try these:

You need a fan pulling heat out and a fan pulling cool air in.
You have to have an oscilating fan on the plants 24/7.
Lay wet rolled up like a cigar wash rags everywhere.
Hang a soaking wet bath towel on a cloths hanger and let it drip into a pan or bucket.
Put a frozen milk jug of water in front of a fan or let it drip into something by putting a pin hole in it.
Get a bucket, put ice in it or frozen water and blow a fan into the bucket, blowing cool air everywhere. And you can put Pine Sol or ONA in the bucket for Odor Control.
Put saucers and cups and pans of water everywhere.
Mist the plants with plain pH water.
Put Frozen cups of water on the lids and everywhere around the plants.
Insulate the reservoir with towels or blankets.
Cover the lid with something wet.
Put the air pumps where the Lights do not shine on them or heat them.
Will start working on these today Rose. Thx

I am also thinking that this 200w cfl is too much for the space?

I hope for room temps to. If it is not room temps what pumps are you running in the bucket? I have had pump overkill in buckets before where the pumps are too big, circulating the water way to much in an hour and warming the water up to the pumps temp.
Check temps of your fresh water, get it to 60 before you even put it in the buckets.
If it is the room causing issues you need to get it cooler, do you have an intake fan or intake opening? If not that little computer fan won't suck any air out and that big bulb will just keep heating air up until it gets vented, it's like sucking air out of a bottle. I just see the exhaust fan you have but can't make out any fresh air intakes.

So what water pumps?
Fresh water temps? before it goes in buckets.
Fresh air intake?

Out of my kitchen sink water is 73.4* 219 ppm and 7.97 ph
Pumps in buckets are Eco-plus 185
I have a 4"fan near top of door sucking hot air out. The passive intake I think is too restrictive and i will make it larger. I included pics of that set up...
IMG_23291.JPG

That 200w gets a bit warm too
That cab is 27" x 27" X 34"

edit: wow, looking at this older pics makes me appreciate how far the plants have come even though they are hurting right now!

Hey guys, i went back thru my log and even when i did not have a pump in the water i ran high 70's, somedays 77!!!
This house is older and there is no AC in the bath, only one vent in the master bedroom, it gets hot as a witches tit in there during summer!!!

You just need airflow to keep that bulb at room temp, being the main house temp.
If normal temps are 65 there let you water sit a day or two to cool off from the faucet. Put some in the refrigerator and mix it with tap water to get 60-65 degree water. Roseman covered the ice in the grow space.

I know from my setup that, if I keep it closed it will get to 80-83, over it's 12 hour run everything will heat up to 80-83. If I crack open a vent it drops down to low 70's, and if I open a window to get outside air it drops to the 60's. So I know my setup has 2 stages of cooling. I could add another by running straight through airflow on the light bulb.

I'm just not seeing a fresh air intake on your setup. If it doesn't have one work on that first, and try to put it where it will get the coolest air. I'd say at the bottom, but It looks like your going to flower below creating heat at the bottom of your veg cab, so go for the coolest spot. Heck simple thing just leave you grow room door open instead of tightly sealed up. Cost no money.

Ok I can see your intake vent. Can you move your bucket on the left to the back and put a fan right by the intake?

Defiantly refrig some water an make a cooler water mix to the 60-65 range.

If that area your using to grow in now is just the veg cab, then pull that elbow off the exhaust and put the fan on the door. Every bend restricts airflow significantly.
Leave the whole door open with the fan in back blowing out. Just cheap/free things to do and try.

You just need airflow to keep that bulb at room temp, being the main house temp.
If normal temps are 65 there let you water sit a day or two to cool off from the faucet. Put some in the refrigerator and mix it with tap water to get 60-65 degree water. Roseman covered the ice in the grow space.

I know from my setup that, if I keep it closed it will get to 80-83, over it's 12 hour run everything will heat up to 80-83. If I crack open a vent it drops down to low 70's, and if I open a window to get outside air it drops to the 60's. So I know my setup has 2 stages of cooling. I could add another by running straight through airflow on the light bulb.

I'm just not seeing a fresh air intake on your setup. If it doesn't have one work on that first, and try to put it where it will get the coolest air. I'd say at the bottom, but It looks like your going to flower below creating heat at the bottom of your veg cab, so go for the coolest spot. Heck simple thing just leave you grow room door open instead of tightly sealed up. Cost no money.

Frosty, see that grate on the bottom of the door? Thats the light trap/passive intake. I used a 6" square and built that trap to fit in.... but i think it is too restrictive.

If that area your using to grow in now is just the veg cab, then pull that elbow off the exhaust and put the fan on the door. Every bend restricts airflow significantly.
Leave the whole door open with the fan in back blowing out. Just cheap/free things to do and try.

Ok, sounds good Frosty, i will do it. I had made the veg cab thinking i would do 18/6 for light and would darkness BUT wound up 24/24 just cause i like to be in there so much. So I suppose the fan directly to the door but light still getting in won't hurt it any.
Will also move that one bucket back to the wall and put a fan near the intake, SECONDLY i have 3 buckets in there, the third is just to prop things up high on.... I am thinking of taking that 3 gal bucket, freeze it full of water, set it inside another bucket and put it back in with the net pot lid back on, place the fan on it so the cool air coming out of the pot holes gets moved around. Thanks guys for the input.

And although i love cheap and easy, diy and such, i still see a water chiller in my future! :Rasta:

3 gallons freezing right now as we speak!

"73.4* 219 ppm and 7.97 ph"

I'd be afraid to drink that, man , you got some aweful water.

Even a chiller is not going to help that pH and ppm. Maybe a faucet filter???

Just tested it again Rose and it is 7.62 Ph 228 ppm and 70.8*

So should I go back to RO water?

Well a bit of an update since last word the plants were looking haggard from the slime issue I had. Cut off the roots and went from there....
I suppose I am learning the same way I have for the last 41 years...THE HARD WAY!! But all is good, I'll sure as hell know what i am doing by the end of it all! lol

First let me say that I have beat these little plants nine ways from Sunday. I have had leaves curl up, curl down, cup, get yellow, rust spots, droopy, purple stems, crispy ends, bruising from the net cups falling thru lid, twisting and praying and even one finally gave up the ghost!! I even switched up growing methods about a week or so into the grow. These plants have seen it all! All in my first 3 WEEKS!!

Roseman, your tutorial has been invaluable, everyday I check to see if more has been added. Frostybuds, C5Rftw, your information has been a tremendous help also, as well as everyone else offering input. :thanks:

I switched back to RO water also. MUCH easier to contend with. Here soon enough I will get a RO filter. ALSO am getting a portable AC for the bathroom to take control of temps.

Now I started this project around January 21st and I SHOULD BE A LOT FURTHER than I am currently, but once again, had a really bad slime issue, stressed plants from switching over systems, bad FIMMing, etc.....

Anyhow, the plants are starting to slowly come back around, I am taking it easy on introducing nutes back to them. New roots coming out, no slime yet. Yes they still look worn but its all part of my learning process. I am glad i started with just bag seed.

These numbers are from yesterday.....
Bucket #3:
Ph 5.73
PPM 520

Bucket #2:
Ph 5.78
PPM 707

Gonna' go check right now and will post up current numbers to see a comparison.

Just checked the numbers a few minutes ago and they are:

Bucket #3:
Yesterday: Ph 5.73 Today: Ph 6.15
PPM 520 PPM 542

Bucket #2:
Yesterday: Ph 5.78 Today: Ph 5.98
PPM 707 PPM 733

Bucket #1:
Yesterday: Ph 5.50 Today: Ph 5.72
PPM 641 PPM 656

I have not added anything, just got on here and posted it up.

Back
Top Bottom