FINALLY Got it Rollin!

Re: FINALLY got it rollin'!

Couple days ago it was droopy as hell....
IMG_24393.JPG

Followed Roseman's 8 step recovery and it's looking better today. Whew!! Absolutely it still looks horrible, but it was worse by far....
IMG_24832.JPG

Oh yeh, there are all kinds of yellowing going on from my mistakes over the last week or so.

Here are some brand new roots, even from the one that was droopy. These came about sometime today!
IMG_24915.JPG

I see that green on the net pot, that's just from the iphone camera. No slime or bad stuff going on. I triple checked.
Now because I damn near killed the plants I am nervous to screw them up any further. Kinda' gun shy now. So looking at those numbers i just posted is all ok? Obviously the yellowed leaves will not return to green again.

Also, I have read that someone pulls the tubes out once the root hit deep water? is this advisable? i didn't see reference to this in Roseman's tutorial yet. Oh, this is the new roots coming off the droopy one, which by the way was a victim to the slime issue.
IMG_24923.JPG

Don't get discouraged myfriend. Your grow is very much like my first grow! I ended up bailing and starting over bc she was very stressed and I had learned so much and just applied needed changed..but you still have time to recover.

You seem to have the right attitude about it, and the plants are starting to look significantly more healthy. Good luck sir!!

Don't get discouraged myfriend. Your grow is very much like my first grow! I ended up bailing and starting over bc she was very stressed and I had learned so much and just applied needed changed..but you still have time to recover.

You seem to have the right attitude about it, and the plants are starting to look significantly more healthy. Good luck sir!!

Thx Testdrive. I am not giving up...too much time, money & desire!! :rollit:

I added pulling the hub, tubes and pump to the Tutorial yesterday.

I will be reading it over here shortly. :thanks:Roseman
From the looks of my numbers and the plants recover the last 24 hours I am feeling confident again. Lots of stuff to learn and know.

MORE ROOTS!! YIPPIE! I am so glad to see more roots this morning. these were def' not there in the last picks... damn these new roots grew quick!
IMG_24931.JPG

They weren't there last night!

Also Ph is NOT jumping all around any longer. I have the numbers from a few minutes ago as compared to earlier....

Bucket #3:
Ph 6.13
PPM 554

Last night it was...
Ph 6.15
PPm 542
(about a quart of water gone, only 2.5 gallons in there)

Bucket #2:
Ph 6.05
PPM 731

Last night....
Ph 5.98
PPM 733
(no water really gone here??)

Bucket #1:
Ph 5.88
PPM 662

Last night....
Ph 5.72
PPM 656
(about 1 quart of water gone)

So the way I am reading this buckets 3 & 1 are doing good but bucket 2 isn't doing anything....and as it would stand i would just add more ph balanced water back in but no nutes just yet.

I added pulling the hub, tubes and pump to the Tutorial yesterday.

So if i am understanding this correctly it is OK to pull them once everything is established, but not necessary if things are fine, don't fix if it ain't broken?
Thx Rose.

So if i am understanding this correctly it is OK to pull them once everything is established, but not necessary if things are fine, don't fix if it ain't broken?
Thx Rose.

It takes 4 or 5 weeks for the filter in the water pump to get yukey and it takes about 4 weeks for the tubes to get all yukey too. And at 3 weeks, sometiems 4, is when the roots should be in the deep water..........so most growers pull it all out at 4 to 5 weeks..or they battle the pH problems that the "yukey" causes.

It takes 4 or 5 weeks for the filter in the water pump to get yukey and it takes about 4 weeks for the tubes to get all yukey too. And at 3 weeks, sometiems 4, is when the roots should be in the deep water..........so most growers pull it all out at 4 to 5 weeks..or they battle the pH problems that the "yukey" causes.

Got it! :) Thanks for the clarification. I guess at that time I'll be pullin' them out and cleaning them up for the next crew.

I'd say you and your grow are right on track and doing great.

Thx Roseman. Always those moments of doubt that come by during a tough start up, so knowing ya' looked and I am on pace again means a lot. Checked this morning and the roots look like fish bones instead of just long and stringy.

Here is a stupid noob mistake.... shouldn't say it but maybe someone might be more aware after reading this....
Had Ph up and PH down sitting out with the caps full. After getting everything blanced out and such i go to clean up, pick up the cap full of Ph down and dumped it into the Up!!! DAMN IT!! Off to the hydro store again! It's so damn hard to walk in with just one thing in mind and not leave with more than intended.... with that said I picked up a bottle of "Spray and Grow". GH version is big $$$! Yikes!

Damn! Checked the roots and they now have fish bones overnight. I pray to the herbal God's I don't fudge this up again. I seemed like it took forever to get roots back after cutting them. Plants still look homely, BUT I am getting happy again.
IMG_25181.JPG

IMG_25161.JPG

Well, us stoners are going to make a mistake. I 've gotten stoned and done things I am too embarrrassed to tell. Like when I used the UP instead of the DOWN.

I hear ya' Roseman..... yet it brings me pleasure to know I am not alone!!! :laughtwo:

On another note...HOLY CRAP that SS led is a bright azz mofo!! I feel so special I wanna keep it in the bed with me tonight all warm and snuggly!! I honestly think I will have to wear the raybans when I am poking around in flower cab. :smokin: I will post pics in a few.

OMG this led is the brightest thing I have stood beside! I am almost scared to stand near it! Geezus!

On the bed turned off.....
IMG_25222.JPG

and with it on....
IMG_25211.JPG

:smokin:

...and yes that is an old school Dog Town deck above the bath door, never used....my wifey collects old school skate decks, especially looks for OG Dog Town wood.

wait on second look, is that the LED light shining threw the actual mattress in the last pic, wow!

Man it is the brightest thing I have ever stood beside! I am finishing up on the flower cab today. Will post pics of it tonight or in morn.
On another note, my plants have started to revive back nicely. The blue tubes I had on the side of the buckets to see water depth/consumption was not a good idea as the light was causing some sort of algea/slime. I'll post pics later of them as well.

Alrighty, back for an update and some pics, nothing too special.
So far along the way what have I learned that sticks out right away in my mind, trivial to some, but lessons learned for me.

*Water quality! Sure some might grow in less than desirable water but NOT ME. I have to use RO water, as what comes out my faucet is over 200ppm and 7.8 to 8.0 Ph!! It is just easier for me to use RO water regarding the numbers chase too. Didn't realize I would still have to adjust Ph levels though. As a new guy I thought RO water was already perfect in every aspect. But I am getting the hang of how much it needs to get pretty much close to where it needs to be Ph wise.

*Cleanliness! As some know from following I got slime really bad. I know it wasn't root rot as it really didn't fit the full descriptions. What i figured it to be was a form of algea breeding because of light hitting on the blue tubing I used to monitor water levels in the buckets. The tube itself was full of it, all lines had it, (BUT THE PLANTS "LOOKED" HEALTHY). OR IT COULD BE from the frozen blue ice blocks i was using, perhaps they picked up something out of the freezer, I dunno'. None the less I heard this algea clings to the roots and deprives it of oxygen. Looks just like snot/mucus.
The first time it happened it was bad, had to cut roots off young plants, redid everything basically. Had 2 plants total die as a result of ME and slime. I cleaned and sterilized the best I could, 8 step remedy and all is back on track. I think the slime WILL be back but I will contend with it as it happens. So far so good. No I did not use the Physan-20 but read that is works really well for algea. H2O2 is doing fine for now. (I feel weird with 8 bottles of H2O2 and 5-6 2.5 gallon jugs of water when in line at Publix. Lady is looking at me up and down for injuries like I should be scraped up and battered.

*Micro-managing! Oh boy, thank goodness my plants are in 24/24! I, as most noobs, can not seem to stay out of the cabinet. Touching, smelling, checking shit over and over. OMG the first 2 weeks i couldn't sit still. did it grow, was that leaf that shape before, was that yellow that bright yesterday, OMG there is a spot on the leaf!!! Not every little discoloration or flaw on the plant means something is wrong! Don't try to jump at every little spot. Of course monitor, just keep level headed.
I am finally figuring out how to enjoy this process instead of let it consume me. Not working doesn't help any! Long days!!!

*PLAN AHEAD for your grow. Get an idea of what you wanna do and how you plan to reach it. Although you could do it in haste, you will waste time money and energy if you wing it. I thought I had a solid path but still wound up changing, which in this case worked to my benefit as I discovered Deep Water Culture, but try and plan thoroughly.

*Journals! Log it down. If you think you are going to remember when you changed out the res and what you did at that time, all the numbers, etc....WRONG! Go smoke another bowl Chief. I am sure experienced growers can just go for it and make it happen after years of doing such, but I'll be damn if I can remember it all. Shit, I am a stoner and can't remember where I left my car keys half the time! With that said, my journal is not the best kept or a model to follow, but it helps me still and I am learning what is important to note. Right now it is more for my benefit, perhaps with time and experience they will become something others can learn from as well. But hey, learn from mistakes as well as successes.

Anyhow, onward with my grow.....

*24 days into the grow, bit over 3 weeks. Still veggin' under a 200w CFL. Still not happy with it. Would rather have a few smaller bulbs instead of one big honkin' ass light! This actually puts out a bit of warmth, in the Fl. summer this will need a remedy. If the PPF-800 led works for flowering I will get a smaller unit for veggin'. True enough I can just stick with CFL but I like the "tech" side of things....and I love making things harder on myself than need be! lol

Starting about day 4 I half-assed began the journal and taking pics....
Started with these from some good bag seed I had germ'ed and was strickly DWC at that time...had yet to read about Deep Water Culture, well actually I was under the assumption I WAS growing in Deep Water Culture with just airstones only...anyhow, started 3 weeks ago with these...
IMG_22961.JPG

...now during this germ time I was reading like a bat out of hell. Staying up till 3-4 in the morn and back up at 8-9, to the point that I was taking in too much info and beginning to doubt/question EVERYTHING. Numbers and math are a very weak point for me and i was making it very difficult on myself trying to learn Ph and PPMs etc...
Very shortly the plants were at this point, growth was pretty quick...
IMG_24162.JPG

Back
Top Bottom