First Ever Attempt - Indoor Closet - Done A Lot Of Reading & Welcome Advice!

Re: First ever attempt, done a lot of reading and welcome help! Indoor closet!

jesus christ, you could go crazy on that herbies website!!

you sure could, theirs way to many seeds on their to even look at yet alone buy, he is uk based shipping is very quick, prices are cheaper than all other seed banks, plus they sell single seeds, they have always done good by me, all seeds sprouted, andd growing so i have had no problems, they wont discuss germination with you due to the problems we have with growing here so they are sold as collection and preserving the strain for future use should it become extinct, but thats the only way they can legally sell, theirs load of cheap seeds on their, but some of them look amazing for their price, even if it is only £1.24 each seed, plus last time one of the free seeds was selling for £10.25 and i only spend £3.00 on a single auto so i was very pleased with the free seeds, so im keeping them in stock till i can start a grow from seed again and give it some veg time, i got about 5 different strains in reserve for the next full grow from seed,

quality. yeah i saw they're giving away big bud seeds! very nice i think i've just about got £4 burning a hole in the bank.!! whats the crack with auto flowerers? do you just put them on 12/12 or what?

no with auto flowers it means they flower under any lighting schedule, so you dont need to flip them to 12-12 to flower, but remember you go to add postage on when you order the seed so check out the final price first, its still cheap and all seed banks charge postage and herbies is the cheapest postage as well, plus it signed for,

growers say autos will flower under 24-0 so they will flower under constant light and needs no dark, but others say they need some dark to flower so use 20 on and 4 hours off for complete grow, thats what ive been using for mine, the growth was very slow at first and after 7 weeks it was less than 2 inches high, but it went into flower last week and its not stopped growing since.

auto flower is a normal plant that has been crossed with the ruderalis strain of cannabis as its this that gives it the auto flower gene, but rude plants have very little thc so they crossed it with normal indica and sativa strains to get them to auto flower and produce a good smoke, some people get an 1/8th of a auto and others have got 5oz off one auto so it just depends what strain and how its grown, im not expecting much off mine but i bought 2 to find out how much i would get, the first auto that is in flower now is not very tall, id say 4 inches at most but its growing more and more since it started to flower, now my 2nd auto is growing like a normal seed so im hoping its going to be a good size auto, basically their meant to flower due to age and not lighting schedule, so should flower under any light, thats why they can be grown outdoors in most places as they are not guided by hours of daylight, but i just wanted to give them a try, but unless you buy femenised you wont know if you got male or female till it flowers, i bought one normal and it turned out fem and i got a fem auto and its not shown sex yet but its still in seedling or newly sprouted stage,

the problem is you could buy 1 seed and it be male, but the way i look at it is this, buy 1 seed from herbie and it turns out male, well then you got 2 x big bud#2 which i think would of been an amazing plant if it never went hermie but the other freebie is always going to be a femenised seed or an auto fem, so its well worth taking the risk with the 1 seed just to get the free seeds

so to flower an auto it can be flowered under 20-4 from day one, so it could in theory stay in veg room and flower, or it would flower on window sill with little light source, so they pretty much grow anywhere and under any lighting schedule, so for out part of the world we could have them outside without having to wait till sept to flower, so you could start one inside and put it outside in summer to flower off, they usually take around 50 to 60 days to flower from the day you plant it till its finished so not long at all, some people dont get good yields but others get ounces off each plant, theirs to many to choose from , i mean how do you pick which one to buy, theirs 2 many strains to try so im just ordering what i think looks good and illl try it and take clones and if i dont like it then i wont mother the clones just flower them off and move onto something else, but i have got 5 or 6 different strains in seeds so i can plant them when ive got all these sorted,

Quick update with some photos.

Can anyone recommend a cheap but accurate temperature and humidity sensor display? Also I put a mystery seed into water last night to further hedge my bets!

I moved the extraction fan to the top of the cupboard to remove more heat. Its not quite finished so please forgive the messy appearance.

12334.jpg

Number 2

Untitled-178.jpg

Number 1

Untitled-234.jpg

Good going man, ill be watching this with interest as my grow space (first grow also) is similar to yours, also with a 400w hps. I've managed to just squeeze a normal 3 speed, 12 inch desk fan in mine pointing at the wall and it seems to keep the temperature down quite well. I've slowly been lowering my light closer to my plant (which is 2 weeks into flower) and its now roughly 30 inches from the top of it and looks like its handling it quite well. For ventilation I have a 4 inch diameter hole high in one wall ready for a proper inline fan etc when I can afford one and 2 grilled vents in my door one high, one low. One thing a friend does keep drilling into me is humidity in such a small space, and how I should keep some wet/moist towels in my cupboard if I can't afford a humidifier. Something you might also want to consider in such a small space is doing a 2 liter hempy bucket grow, which is what ill be doing when my 'practice plant' is done. I'd never seen such a thing till I came to this forum and it definitely looks like the way to go if you're short on space. Good luck man.

Thanks, can you go from a soil start like I have to hempy? It looks like a good way to go actually!

hi, great journal so far, i also grew with cfls and went into flower with them, but i ended up using nearly 400 watts actual with cfls so i just switched to 400watt dual spectrum hps to flower them off with, when i was using up to 15 cfls around 30 actual watts each i struggled to keep the temps high enough in a 3ft by 3ft grow cupboard that is floor to ceiling high, but since switching to hps i struggle to keep them temps down now, so have to leave the door slightly open when the lights on, so im thinking its going to get pretty toasted in that cupboard very quick and it will push the temps right up, you may need to add more fans to remove the hot air from the room.....

.....feel free to check my journal out and have a read, some great pics and tips on their and you can see how my plants turned out and how they look like their under a scrog,

but look forward to watching your grow mate

Thanks I will look definately, and Ive moved the fan and will monitor.

love the baby pictures:) thats half the battle getting those little buggers to come out of their shell. very nice set up also. I think you will do well:cheer: lots of good help here so keep us updated. cheers mate:peace:

Cheers, wish the little things would grow faster!

looking good mate, them 12v computer fans come in very handy, i use a phone charger to power mine, it is powerful enough to power 2 fans so one fan blows the air around inside the grow room and the other removed air through my home made carbon filter then its vented out the grow room, but its not wired up at the minute, the smell really isnt that bad, my plants are well into flower and it dont smell that bad yet, but chances are it will, as soon as i touch the plants it starts to stink, so im sure its gona start stinking the place out very soon.

your sprout looks good and healthy as well,

all im using is an old analogue clock, in the middle is the clock on the left is an temp gauge and on the right is humidity gauge, cost me £1, works perfect, checked it againts a digital gauge and temp and humidity where the same in both environments, tried it in cold and hot conditions and they both read the same, so all i use is a pretty basic alarm clock, not digital, but works great, im sure you can pick them up from pretty much anywhere, if i was going to buy one id probably buy digital, but i only had this as an alarm clock a few years ago and never really used, then i started growing and when cleaning out the cupboard i came across that alarm clock and used it ever since, for me its works perfect, a temp gauge would be slightly more acurate to read, but this does me ok and has been checked to make sure its acurate enough and it is so thats what i use, but digital would be the way to go, try and get something that gives you temp and humidity in one unit, most of these come with a clock and some tell you what the weather is going to be like, their all pretty cheap to buy,

Ya man any hydro store or gardening/hardware store will carry a pretty solid hygrometer/thermometer combos for cheap and I wouldn't worry about your temps getting too high, I am growing in a very similar size tent (2' x 4' x 5'3") with a 400w HPS and temps never get above 82 with lights on and one small oscillating fan, I have a link to the thread in my sig if you want to check it out. I think the hottest its gotten with the 400 and 4 23 w CFL's, co2 running etc is around 84.

hi bluesky, the top ling in your signature dont work it wont let me click on it else id also come over and have a look, the 2 that say complete work but the blue highlighted link dont work, just thought id let you know mate

im not using anything in my grow yet, but it is starting to smell, i made my own carbon filter out of an old plastic tub and some activated carbon that i got from a pet shop, and it has a 12v computer fan mounted in it, so ill be using that, ill vent back into my hall, i do have a vent in the grow room but i think the vent is attatched to everybody elses flat so i dont really want to take the risk of the filter not working and stinking all the other flats or apartments as you call them in the usa, so ill vent it back into my flat and see how it goes, i may need to make a bigger filter as time goes on, but for now i leave the grow door open and all the windows and smell is minimul, even with the windows shut i only really get a wiff when i open the grow door after its been shut for 12 hours, apart from that its not as bad as lighting a spliff up, so for now ill use my carbon filter,

ona is also a good thing to use, not used it myself but i may get some off the auction site if it gets a lot worse, you can also get ozone generators, but these are expensive, they work well but very expensive, their are guides to make them but id stay away from them unless you know what your doing, plus making one invlolves destroying a type of grow bulb so would end up costing more than a carbon filter, as it would need a balast and broken bulb to get it to work, so either a carbon filter or ONA gel to mask any smells,

yeah bro you need to remember that you can get used to the smell to the point that you dont even think about it. hope this is not the case tho. I saw a hoopty set up where a guy filled a 5 gallon bucket9 14 15 liters) half way with crbon and then put a box fan blowing in it he claimed it helped.:peace: so just take this with a grain of salt

i hear ya mate, my carbon filter works the same as the ones you buy, its like a big fish food tub, and the lid is wider than the bottom, so i cut the bottom off and fitted a 12v fan in and made it air tight around the fan, the i got some chicken wire and made an inner tube so their was a gap between the plastic of the tub and the chicken wire, i put a piece of chicken wire over the fan to stop carbon bits going into the fan, then i covered the chicken wire in a pair or tights and then secured it inside the tub against the fan, then between the chicken wire mesh and the outer plastic tub i filled with a couple of packs of activated carbon, then i drilled holes around the outside of the tub all the way round and fitted the lid on the tub making it air tight, so when i switch it on the fan is sucking the air through the air holes and through the activated carbon before blowing it out where the fan is, im hoping this will be enough for now to keep it smelling fresher.

but i have got to agree, when i have been here all day i really dont think it smells unless i touch the plants or move them in anyway, but then when i go out for the day and come back i can smell it slightly then when i open the door i can smell it a bit more, so i know it smells but its nothing major yet, most people round here smoke it so people can always smell it and it smells worse then my plants do, in my flat i use plug in air fresheners and light incent sticks, i also take some of the air freshener thats in the plug in fresheners and drip a few drops on a towel in the grow room, this then makes the grow room smell of oranges or what ever else is in the air fresheners.

but i know i get use to the air fresheners and as soon as i change the insert to a different smell then you can smell it again but after a day or 2 you cant smell it, but its because you get used to it, so it does me good when im out all day and come back and i can then smell and check if its stinks the place out, but if i stayed in all the time i was only out say walking the dog then i dont really notice the smell, so thats a great bit of advice,

easiest, cheapest odor control I have found is ona buckets. My Agent Orange is very stinky and the Blue cheese isn't odorless by a long shot and I never have any smells anywhere in my house. Here is a link to an easy and cheap ona bucket.

DIY Odor Control Bucket

My fan isn't an exact fit to the bucket size and I didn't tape up the fan and it works great. I'm sure if you find the right fit and tape it up it will work even better.

Back
Top Bottom