First Grow and Boy Am I Excited

Biggest tip I have for ya about PH is DON'T CHASE IT. Get it between 5.6-6.5 and let it fluctuate between those levels but don't try and keep it RIGHT at 5.8 at all times. My favorite info on this stuff comes from Rosemans tutorial, he puts it in plain English, so here are a few permalinks to his posts about PH and PPM (Give your browser a sec to take you right to the post):

PH: Deep Water Culture Tutorial, SH Kit & DIY

PPM:

I love that tent. I am jealous of that divider. Mine is the same size w/ no divider. Great setup. About the scales. It is perfectly legal to own scales, they only become paraphernalia when they are used in the commission of a crime.

Thanks for the info on Rosemans thread. He is a valuable member to this community for sure. Lots of good info broken down for the common man.

Also, thanks for the heads up on the scale. If anything ever happened, I would rather err on the safe side, so I don't think I'll keep one around. Maybe have one at a friends house.

Some pics for ya'll.

RCBS (Random Chronic Bag Seed) germinating in between two damp paper towels.
Set_Up_025.jpg

When they popped I stuck them in pre-moistened Rapidrooters. I put them in a propagation tray with a humidity dome and water in the bottom of the tray (not touching rapidrooters as they soak up tons of moisture) and kept my T5 right on top of humidity dome.
Set_Up_001.jpg

Day one in Rapidrooters (starting to emerge).
Set_Up_005.jpg

Day 3-5 in Rapidrooters.
Set_Up_036.jpg

Day 6-9 in Rapidrooters (added a about 1ml of water to each rapidrooter as they had started to lose the moisture).
Set_Up_010.jpg

Roots!
Set_Up_028.jpg

Smoke Break!:bongrip:
Set_Up_0401.jpg

420Magazine.com Break as well.
P10003322.JPG

Well, those breaks have me in a different place mentaly now, so I will have to post more tomorrow. Everyone have a wonderful evening and "I" am going to appreciate the fact that I can't feel (or am unaware due to level of relaxation) muscles spasming in my back. My back was bothering me at work, but i'm not one to complain. Got home and now the meds have kicked in real nice. Might watch a movie to end the night.:popcorn::bongrip:

Thanks for the info on Rosemans thread. He is a valuable member to this community for sure. Lots of good info broken down for the common man.

Also, thanks for the heads up on the scale. If anything ever happened, I would rather err on the safe side, so I don't think I'll keep one around. Maybe have one at a friends house.

nice setup bigdeal, as far as the scale go's don't trip on that just keep the scale in the kitchen, people on diets and good chefs weigh there food,:welldone:
rnwy29erclr

So, I'm broke. But I am excited as hell to be starting on the way to providing my own meds. I'm really looking forward to this learning process and the benefit that I will reap from it.

Here are some more pics of what's happening!

Bubbles from my new Micro Pore Air Diffuser.
P1000355.JPG

My 6" ValuLine fan exhausting out top of tent.
P1000360.JPG

Exhaust ducting coming out top of tent.
P1000363.JPG

Fill level indicator (I wrapped gorilla tape around it so there is only a small clear thread of tubing that I can see the water level through).
P1000358.JPG

6" under 600w HPS it is 80F and the ambient room temp is 78F w/ relative humidity at 40%.
P10003692.JPG

Did some reorganizing the other night.
P1000371.JPG

Some various stuff I use. I really like the air stone from DWI. They put out some good bubbles for sure!
P10003821.JPG

My RCBS in veg. Leaves seem to be staying healthy.
P1000323.JPG

Roots. Bubbles. Happiness.
P1000271.jpg

So right now I am just vegging some seed out, waiting for some lovely ladies to show their sex (hopefully soon as it has been about 4 weeks from seed). As soon as sex is determined, I am going to take cuttings, root them, and introduce them into the flowering room after a week or two of veg.

Right now I am sitting at 6.0-6.2 Ph and 700-900 ppm. At lower levels of ppm, my plant was showing signs of deficiencies.
P10003082.JPG
P1000309.JPG

P10003073.JPG

I increased the amount of nutrients/ppm from 500-600 up to 700-900 and it seems to be helping, as all new growth is nice and healthy. Anyone able to identify those deficiencies from looking at those leaves? I am just using AN's recommended amounts for the 1: 1 :1 ratio

Thanks for your time folks, and keep your fingers crossed that I may find a great female among these RCBS.:smokin:

My best guess from thoise pics would be calcium defficiency or magnesium defficiency. Both start with yellow spots or bloches and then get brown/rusty areas.

You can add calcium by applying a liquid lime fertilliser such as a calcium nitrate solution.

For Magnesium, spray with epsom salts, about 2% every 4 or 5 days for a cple o weeks.

Are those the older fan leaves or medium aged?

My best guess from thoise pics would be calcium defficiency or magnesium defficiency. Both start with yellow spots or bloches and then get brown/rusty areas.

You can add calcium by applying a liquid lime fertilliser such as a calcium nitrate solution.

For Magnesium, spray with epsom salts, about 2% every 4 or 5 days for a cple o weeks.

I agree...looks like magnesium to me. Even if it was calcium either one could be taken care of by adding calmag to the res

Great setup BD. I found your like and came by. You are doing it right. I've got my chair pulled up, seat belt on, and ready for the ride. + rep man great plan. :peace:

My best guess from those pics would be calcium deficiency or magnesium deficiency. Both start with yellow spots or blotches and then get brown/rusty areas.

You can add calcium by applying a liquid lime fertilizer such as a calcium nitrate solution.

For Magnesium, spray with Epsom salts, about 2% every 4 or 5 days for a couple o weeks.

Thanks 3lions and Wowtestdrive. Those are older fan leaves. I looked up nutrient deficiencies in my grow book, and from pictures and descriptions it definitely looks like magnesium/calcium. I am broke right now, but I get paid next week and that means a trip to the hydro store to get some form of cal/mag. I pumped my Ppm up to 900-1000 and the plants are loving it. All of the new growth is nice and green, but a few of the top leaves are looking a little jagged and are "praying" (I think I read about this as a sign of magnesium deficiency?). My Ph is drifting between 5.8-6.2 (slowly over a few days).

I am really just using this grow as a learning process and my expectations are low. I want some hands on experience before I buy genetics or pop some of my SCRBS (Super Chronic Random Bag Seed). The reason I want to wait with my SCRBS is because I would love to collect pollen from any males I produce from them (as all of these seeds are taken from the best weed I've gotten) and use them to pollinate lower buds of hand selected females. The seeds I am vegging right now are just some everyday smoke, so no loss if all turn male (i'll just feed them to my chinchillas).:grinjoint:

I would try and get your PH range a bit lower before you start with supplements for the cal. def. I keep mine 5.2 - 6.0 and only see problems when it goes over 6.0

Nice start - looks like you have everything you need for a great grow! :goodjob:

You can pick up a fogger with float, definitely get the float, for $30 including shipping from mainlandmart.com. I love my DIY cloner!

what is/are foggers and floats?

Cant you germinate in those cubes thenbigdeal amigo? I germinated straight in the soil this time around without a hitch.

I agree...looks like magnesium to me. Even if it was calcium either one could be taken care of by adding calmag to the res

I concur, it is mag def, not so much cal, they would be rust colored if it was cal. And more spotty than splotchy.

Thanks 3lions and Wowtestdrive. Those are older fan leaves. I looked up nutrient deficiencies in my grow book, and from pictures and descriptions it definitely looks like magnesium/calcium. I am broke right now, but I get paid next week and that means a trip to the hydro store to get some form of cal/mag. I pumped my Ppm up to 900-1000 and the plants are loving it. All of the new growth is nice and green, but a few of the top leaves are looking a little jagged and are "praying" (I think I read about this as a sign of magnesium deficiency?). My Ph is drifting between 5.8-6.2 (slowly over a few days).

I am really just using this grow as a learning process and my expectations are low. I want some hands on experience before I buy genetics or pop some of my SCRBS (Super Chronic Random Bag Seed). The reason I want to wait with my SCRBS is because I would love to collect pollen from any males I produce from them (as all of these seeds are taken from the best weed I've gotten) and use them to pollinate lower buds of hand selected females. The seeds I am vegging right now are just some everyday smoke, so no loss if all turn male (i'll just feed them to my chinchillas).:grinjoint:

Plant is looking good, your PH seems fine. I wouldn't go over 6.5. You will see a big increase in growth with the Cal-Mag supplement. You got hella bubbles in that bucket, pretty sweet.:roorrip:

Last time I used epsom salts in my res..... I locked out Ca. Also, keep your pH around or higher than 5.8 if you have a Mg problem.

So now I use calmag plus to fix a Mg def, because they need to be in a certain ratio to not lock each other out. The N is nice to complement my flowering nutes which have too little, the Fe replaces what binds to my airstone, but I'm not quite sure how that works.

(A disclaimer on the bottle says mag drive pumps and airstones remove Fe from suspension)

nice grow you got going so far bro. I am going to use the same method of DWC in a 5gallon bucket. Just bought some air pumps and a bunch of other stuff from walmart. Where do you live? I am asking because hydro stores are scarce up north, seems like i might have to order my ph down and nutes from the net. Plus i noticed it said the south and my mom lives in GA. I am book marking this for reference :) got to love the jorge cerventes vids and im buying his book tomorrow

Here is a pic of the babies in their home.
Set_Up_043.jpg

I found out later that this was a bad idea, putting 5 seedlings in a single bucket, for several reasons. 1: If one has a problem, they all have a problem. 2: When sexing comes along, I was left with roots from the males, still intertwined with the ladies' roots. This made the rez smell foul and roots turn brownish and slimy. 3: Can't move them without damaging roots.

Here's some more pics.
P10002892.JPG

Just a little crowded....
P10002882.JPG

P1000286.JPG

P1000310.JPG

I will update with some more photos as the week comes to an end. I had 3 of the 5 become male, so I am left with 2 plants.

Back
Top Bottom