First Grow-Nirvana Snow White, Attic XXX

I say go for it!

A couple of cute babies if ya ask me. :smokin:
This stage of their growth and life can be so delicate with the care they need, but just remember they are babies and when babies are first born or sprouted from the soil, they are mainly just looking for the LIGHT. Their opening their eyes and seeing the light and the world for the first time heh and this stage can take days or weeks(depending on nature of course) which is insteresting in your grow using LEDs! That pink light is intense, you need sun glasses to even look at it. Is it that bright up close or is it the camera?
...but what struck me more than that was that you said you were leaving for 3 weeks...I say go for it!! I think you can do it, but to do it stick to 1/4 nutrients for when your gone if leaving in july, they will still be fairly young and sprouting :cool: I dont think pumping a gallon a day would need though, I dont think they drink quite that much until later in their lives, a lesser amount would aid you better at this point.
...This is an awsome grow, hope good growin for ya. Keep checking back, people on here have infinite amount of knowledge to share with hobby gardeners who are interested. :reading420magazine:

Keep growin GooD:rollit:

Re: First Grow-Nirvana Snow White, Attic Hydro LED grow

Thanks for the support Hydro.
Yes, the LEDs really are that bright, I can't look at the panel head on, its brighter than most CFLs

The funny thing is since it has red/blue/orange lights when you step out of the light everything seems green for a few minutes. Made adjusting my pH a little tricky.

Also since it has no green light, thats why I sometimes turn off the LED and photograph using the CFL or my camera, so you can see how green the plants are.

I'm setting up the reservoir right now (so far no problems, knock on wood) and should post some more pictures later today

also the reason I'm doing a gallon a day is because I'm worried they will get too big by the end of the trip. I installed an overflow chute so the worst thing that happens is they are topped up to 6 gallons every day and the excess leaks back into the reservoir(not so bad is it?)

also the reason I'm doing a gallon a day is because I'm worried they will get too big by the end of the trip. I installed an overflow chute so the worst thing that happens is they are topped up to 6 gallons every day and the excess leaks back into the reservoir(not so bad is it?)[/QUOTE]

AHhh ok, any excess recycles back into the reservoir! I didnt understand at first, I gotcha now, sounds like a good idea! Im looking forward for the comparison pics from before you leave to 3 weeks later! I hope you do that with the pictures, it would be coo to see the difference.

Keep growin GooD!

LOOOOONG POST, get ready:
Finished the reservoir, it works.

Right now it is sitting under my Deep Water Culture unit:
IMG_4054.JPG

wrapped it in duct tape and used a trash bag just in case.

Inside is a Sunterra 130gph fountain pump fitted to some 1/4" black tubing with a button dripper (1gph) on the end

I measured how long it took to move 500mL of water from the reservoir to a bottle at the same height as my Deep Water Culture system

It took 24 minutes for 500 mL so this means I will set the timer for the pump for 3 hours every day I am away in order to add one gallon ( I guess 1gph dripper does not necessarily mean 1gph)

Next I added nutrients. It holds a little over 12 gallons and I put in 3/4 strength nutes (1 and 1/2 packets of micro and bloom) as well as 3 teaspoons of Epsom Salt(~1/4 tsp to a gallon)

I will put in the Cannazym later as I don't want the enzymes to die while they are not feeding

I refilled my regular reservoir and added 1/8 strength nutes and a teaspoon of epsom salt(I figure the babies can take weak nutes, if they can't TOO BAD for them) and foliar fed the older guys with 1/8 str solution (just took it from the reservoir, I have no idea how to divide the nute packet into 1/48th) and the babies with plain pH water.

My diy Co2 generator is working great, though it smells a bit yeasty
Only sad thing is I still don't see roots on the bottom of my netcups and my leaves with the nute deficiency haven't gotten better yet

Everything else is going smooth :smokin:

More Pics:
IMG_4042.JPG
IMG_4050.JPG
IMG_4053.JPG
IMG_40553.JPG
IMG_4056.JPG
IMG_4057.JPG
IMG_40611.JPG

Real ingenuity. Looks good, can't wait to see how well it performs. How much longer before you leave for vacation?

I believe they make a resevoir add on?Or you can make one by purchaseing another storage bucket at wallmart for 6 bucks and add a drain valve to the bottom and then just connect a hose between the 2 drain valves and let gravity handle the rest.Not sure how long your going on vacation but I wouldnt feel right with out saying simplicity is key.This would add more water with out worries of leakage.Your plants still just babys there not going to drink much there not in veg stage just yet still seadling.I think just the one Deep Water Culture would have been good.I would set a recycle timer on your drip pump or run constant and a timer on your lights and your good.The only thing i would be worried about is ph.But they also make an auto ph res.Spendy?But if you set ph with no nutes to about 5.8 steady you should be fine.I would not add no nutes.No roots nutes?ph water.If you would like a pic of my set up let me know I would happily give a detailed visual lay out.:peace:

Looking good, they should start a growth spurt soon.

Real ingenuity. Looks good, can't wait to see how well it performs. How much longer before you leave for vacation?

Thanks!
I'm leaving in 2 days. They have really been exploding these past few days. Too bad I won't really get the whole growth spurt of the veg phase. Should I put in veg nutes in the Deep Water Culture before I go (the reservoir has flower nutes) so they get some stretching the first few days?

I believe they make a resevoir add on?Or you can make one by purchaseing another storage bucket at wallmart for 6 bucks and add a drain valve to the bottom and then just connect a hose between the 2 drain valves and let gravity handle the rest.Not sure how long your going on vacation but I wouldnt feel right with out saying simplicity is key.This would add more water with out worries of leakage.Your plants still just babys there not going to drink much there not in veg stage just yet still seadling.I think just the one Deep Water Culture would have been good.I would set a recycle timer on your drip pump or run constant and a timer on your lights and your good.The only thing i would be worried about is ph.But they also make an auto ph res.Spendy?But if you set ph with no nutes to about 5.8 steady you should be fine.I would not add no nutes.No roots nutes?ph water.If you would like a pic of my set up let me know I would happily give a detailed visual lay out.

I saw the reservoir add-on but it was way too expensive to be worth it. My current one cost about $20 for the dripline, button drippers, and pump (I had the container already)The pH one would have been nice but that was also $200. My pH seems to be pretty consistent in this system after I adjust it once. Also I'm not worried about over watering; remember I added an overflow valve? My system is pretty simple, its essentially a modified ebb and flow, it was only difficult to put it into practice.

Pics coming in the next post, Thanks for all the comments guys, they are really helpful and it's nice to know I'm not alone here.

Good News: pH is 6, plants are doing well, CO2 generator is still working, and no signs of overfeeding on the tinier ones.

Bad News: still some yellowing on the primary leaves of the first 2 plants, I'm not sure if its nitrogen deficiency anymore. It can't be overfeeding can it? I mean it appeared before I started using nutes (besides that mishap the first day)

Anyways Pics: (If any of you think you know what is causing the yellowing [see pics] please let me know!)
IMG_4064.JPG
IMG_4065.JPG

********Ahhhh^^^^^^
IMG_4067.JPG
IMG_4068.JPG

^^Those are just cotyledons no worries :smokin:

Also should I trim off the yellow spots???
Thanks

Thanks!
I'm leaving in 2 days. Too bad I won't really get the whole growth spurt of the veg phase. Should I put in veg nutes in the Deep Water Culture before I go (the reservoir has flower nutes) so they get some stretching the first few days?

I saw the reservoir add-on but it was way too expensive to be worth it. My current one cost about $20 for the dripline, button drippers, and pump (I had the container already)The pH one would have been nice but that was also $200. My pH seems to be pretty consistent in this system after I adjust it once. Also I'm not worried about over watering; remember I added an overflow valve? My system is pretty simple, its essentially a modified ebb and flow, it was only difficult to put it into practice.

Pics coming in the next post, Thanks for all the comments guys, they are really helpful and it's nice to know I'm not alone here.
Ebb and Flow.Aw I see now...Looking good:peace:

Sure
I based it off of this recipe: Aquatic Eden: DIY CO2 Recipe: Duration vs. Intensity - Freshwater Planted Aquarium Blog
which was intended for plants in aquariums but works fine in my situation too

I took a 1 Liter seltzer bottle and followed the recipe with half the ingredients(because I knew I would just replace it before I left in July; the full recipe lasts 2-3 weeks)

Then I shook it gently, poked a hole in the top of the cap with a thumtack, and voila

it takes a few hours to get going, you can tell if it works if when your shake it with your finger over the hole the pressure increases (like shaking a bottle of soda)

I shake it every day before I close up the tent to release the built up carbonation

Don't worry about those bottom leaves. When the plants are young all kinds of weird things happen to the leaves as they get established in their new surroundings. Sort of like babies with an upset stomach. The top of the plant is growing normally. In this case I think it just robbed a little nute stored in that leaf to build the next set. It doesn't mean your nute level is too low. It just means that you are the proper amount of cautious in giving them what they want. On nutes, too little is just too little but too much is a problem.

Using flower nutes at this stage? I'd switch to veg nutes. That may have contributed to the yellowing leaf but no harm done.

Good News: pH is 6, plants are doing well, CO2 generator is still working, and no signs of overfeeding on the tinier ones.

Bad News: still some yellowing on the primary leaves of the first 2 plants, I'm not sure if its nitrogen deficiency anymore. It can't be overfeeding can it? I mean it appeared before I started using nutes (besides that mishap the first day)

Anyways Pics: (If any of you think you know what is causing the yellowing [see pics] please let me know!)
IMG_4064.JPG
IMG_4065.JPG

********Ahhhh^^^^^^
IMG_4067.JPG
IMG_4068.JPG

^^Those are just cotyledons no worries :smokin:

Also should I trim off the yellow spots???
Thanks

No I wouldnt trim it will be ok.This may be caused by to much ph or flux if no nutes are added.A lack of N your plant will turn lime green.To much N your plant will be real dark green with burnt tips.:peace:(What m.c. posted Seems to be more accurate in this case)

Hey nice grow man how do i post pics on my grow? anybody, please help out.

Go to your profile click on pics then click on ad pics.You may half to resize there is a link on this web sight that will direct you.Then just resize save to your pc and repost.......I have a newby question if any one knows.What are these 420 points.I have no clue as to what there purpose is.dur dur durrrr.lol

Back
Top Bottom