First Time Growing & Using Grow Box - Advice Welcome

They all appear to be hybrids. So you won't know the effects until you smoke them.

Also notice your LST, To prevent root damage, you might want to use something to hold the stem in place before bending them over.

Hard and dark leaves sounds like a phosphorous deficiency, or a PH that's too high/too low causing lockout. And there's always a possibility of excess Calcium causing Phosphorous lockout.

Check PH first. Verify 6.5 for water/nutes, and check PH of runoff as well. If all is well, then I just increase feeding slightly.

NUTES: Once a week is perfect. Basically, I mix my water and nutes, water them till I see a little runoff, then that plant is done until the soil is real dry again, and the pot is light.
Cannabis grows best when you water it in like a flood/dry pattern. It forces roots to grow insane in search for water, so each subsequent watering, the plant's ability to intake water/nutes is increased.

To increase comments, it helps to visit other growers journals. Since you have your journal linked in your signature, people will see it and come visit. I'll toss a link up in my journal as well, so a few folks that are in my journal can come pop over and say hello.

And if you're interested in seeing my newbie journal with only 1 year growing experience, all learned here at 420, here's a link for you Antics Perpetual Learning Experience

And Hi Dutty! Thanks for the support :thumb:

I top a lot. Lst is not for me. As for nutes when funds are available get away from the miracle grow, there's cheap good fertilizer available online.

Best advice I can say is expect nothing from your first grow. It's more about the experience building. Everything will eventually click.

Another thing. I use a self watering pot. Is that okay and also I use miracle grow all purpose fertilizer. I know it's probably not the best but all I have. Please let me know, I've only fertilized twice so far..

If self watering plants interests you, you should stop by this thread when you have a little spare time. Its an interesting technique for watering. SWICK Watering System

I think your plants are adorable. :blushsmile: Are you feeding them full strength according the MG instructions or are you using less?

I wish you lots of luck and good fortune and really fat nugs. :)

20150528_192258.jpg
Thanks. I use 3/4 of the recommended amount. Should I use the amount the container says? Also, could you give me your opinion of what may be wrong with my sativa? I think it's a sativa anyway.

Im really not one to ask whats wrong. Im a nooblet, but since you are using a self watered pot, overwatering would be my first guess. Even if the top of the pot seems dry, the soil in the center and all the way to the bottom could be saturated with water, thus waterlogging the roots and your plant.

I am unfamiliar with Miracle Grow nutrients, but I think if I were you, Id use 1/2 strength and it might take care of your slightly yellowed tips, too.

Again, I am no expert. You might find this link useful throughout your grow. :blushsmile:

Problem Solver/Pictorial

Whats up T! Congrats on taking the plunge and planting your own. Ask a ton of questions and you will learn lots. The people on this site are amazingly helpful and friendly. It really is a DOPE community. Kinda looks like nitrogen toxicity. Prob from the MG nutes you got. Ill repeat what Mr Dutty said and see about getting some other kind of nutrients there are some really inexpensive ones out there. To fix your issue just lay off the MG for a while and give your plants a good flush with water to try and rinse out all that MG thats in there. DO you have a gardening store in your area?? You can find some good stuff there if you do. Im subbed up for the ride if you need some help just holla!!!

Hey T, been reading up and you seem to be doing well. As Dutty said, don't expect much from your first grow it's a learning experience.

I'm still a noob but will try to help as best I can. For a flush you want to use ph'ed water (6.5) and if the plant is in a 1 gal pot you want to use 4-5 gal of water. Make sure you are by a drain because water will come pouring out the bottom.

I also started with MG soil, it's all a learning curve. I would suggest you not rush to change anything right now but if you are going to transplant into a bigger pot, I would choose a different soil. I currently use Happy Frog but that is going to change when I need to buy more soil. Always changing, always trying to improve, always learning but more than anything....it's fun to grow.

Thanks so much raisingcane. I know there is a nursery in my area and home depot. Someone said for me to flush? How do i do that. Just water?

Before flushing, what type of nutrients are you using?

Do you mix it in water, and water the plant like that? Or are they balls/pellets/granules, that you sprinkle on the soil?
If you mix it in water, then you can flush without any issues.
If you're using balls/pellets/granules, otherwise known as time release, you absolutely do NOT want to flush, doing so will cause a massive quantity of nutrients to be released all at once, and will in all likelihood kill some plants.

EDIT: I was just thinking things over with the self watering. If the MG nutrients are salt-based, you'll want to top water until runoff, and dispose of the runoff water. Salts can collect in the bottom tray, becoming more and more concentrated as time goes on, and can be potentially deadly to plants. If the MG nutes are ORGANIC in composition, there should be no issues using the self watering pots, SWICK,, or any other self watering/bottom watering methods.

Carry on with the growing! I'll look into the issue of the plant you believe is Sativa a little more as I have time today, and I'll share if I can find anything.

That might be the problem. The very first time I used nutes it was the little nugget ones. That next week I used the foam and the last time I used the liquid that you mix with water. I still see the little nuggets so maybe no nutes until I don't see them anymore? I'm about to post an individual pic of each one. Not 100% sure what strain they are. Can't tell the difference. Thanks again

You got it Teedy! I think that's the whole problem. Those pellets, or nuggets are time release. So each time you water, the plant gets fed. When you fed the other two times, it was basically like 2 feedings at a time, so that's likely the cause of the burned tips that Sorenna mentioned above.

I'd relax with the other nutrients until those pellets are gone. But you also might see some deficiencies appear, so that'll be the plant tell you that it's ready for more nutrients, so you can mix up a batch then :)

Can you make the question multiple choice? :laughtwo:

I have no idea the strain, but I think its a hybrid, indica dominant by the fatness of the leaves and the darker color. Very pretty. :blushsmile:

Impossible to tell what strain a plant is by appearance. 100% Impossible, and until a laboratory exists that catalogs the terpene profile of each strain, you'll never know.

As for Sativa/Indica, you need to smoke them to know that. The Sativa/Indica dominance of a plant typically dictates the effects. The appearances of the plant can go either way, since there are often several plants genes involved in the current pheno, so the plants you're growing will usually exhibit traits from both parents, as well as some from grandparents and beyond.

Hi T glad to have you here this is the place to be if you want to grow. There are tons of good threads with loads of info you can pretty much find anything you could ever want or need to know. This is just the first grow so don't get down over any of it no matter what happens. Honestly the more mistakes you make the more you will learn and progress. Plus lucky for you your growing in soil and it is a very forgiving medium. So when mistakes are made you have time to assess the problem and fix it unlike hydro where you could have minutes to fix your problem. My recommendation for you doing LST is to put a tie at the base of your stem and then tie over the top with another tie so you don't hurt with your root system at all. Like said before a couple times you should definitely get some better nutes especially for bloom cuz MG is high in nitrogen and will create really airy stringy buds. If you don't have a local hydro shop or garden store I recommend amazon you can get them much cheaper from there anyway. Keep up the good work .

Thanks yall. I was talking about sativa or indica. Thought you can tell by the leaves but they all look the same to me. The plant on the first pic I thought was sativa because the leaves are a slimmer but it may be that way because it's cupping and what not. Plus I was doing 24 Hour light the past week. I don't think they like that much so I'm going back to 18 on 6 off.

Thanks yall. I was talking about sativa or indica. Thought you can tell by the leaves but they all look the same to me. The plant on the first pic I thought was sativa because the leaves are a slimmer but it may be that way because it's cupping and what not. Plus I was doing 24 Hour light the past week. I don't think they like that much so I'm going back to 18 on 6 off.

Won't really be able to tell that 100% either. The effects when smoked could be Sativa, with leaves that look Indica, and vice versa. But none of the plants exhibit true Sativa leaves, or true Indica leaves. They're all hybrids.

I hope one is sativa. I don't like to much of a sleepy high. Would like to be able to still have some energy. Thanks. I'll post more pics tomorrow to see how they are doing from the lst I did today. And I LST'd from the main stem because I don't want them to grow to tall. The box is only a little over 3ft tall.

You can also harvest with fewer ambers to keep the level of couch lock in check.

For the LST and height issues, you can top the plants, and just LST the branches.

Just to give you an idea, this plant I'm doing is only 16" tall:

Keeping the light closer during Veg also helps prevent the plant from stretching too much, and helps keep things short and compact as well.

When you have some time,, look this page over: How to Grow Marijuana Everything You Need to Know
It's a huge collection of topics that covers everything from setting up a first grow, to nutrients, training, cloning, lighting, watering information, etc... it's a must have page for anyone that's growing.

Back
Top Bottom