First Timer Hoping For Magic With CFLs - DWC & Bag Seeds

Re: First Timer hoping for magic with CFLs, DWC and bag seeds

cool setup hope it works out
about pumps I recently added an airstone to my resvoir in my waterfarm and had to get another pump thought it would cost me around 20 to 30 but general hydro makes a simple one that cost only 7 bucks plus the price of piping which I thought was a steal and it's pretty quiet don't know if you have any good hydro shops around u but they would probably carry it

Thanks, yeah we have an alright one, but we have a few fish stores that carry decent stuff like that. I also think my pump may be on the way out so i may look into that.

the plant looks like it starting to get their now, im also using cfls to grow with and its the first time using them, at first i was watering to much but im using compost so slightly different, i didnt expect to get the growth i have got using cfls as a lot of growers say their no good, but from my experience my plants have not stretched at all and node spacing at stem is very tight, im going to try fim technique tomorrow and see what happens, but you seem to have got yours back on track and the new growth is looking ok so looks like you got it sorted in time,

Yeah Im going to add some pictures of a one day difference in the plants, I looked into a MH or HPS but its just too hot for my liking, maybe LEDs one day but for now im satisfied with the CFLS

Lots of new growth over night, The other seedling just kept getting beat up and it wasn't looking so good. Changed some things up
New bucket and drip line
IMG-20120323-00054.jpg

Yesterday
IMG-20120323-00056.jpg

Today
IMG-20120325-00059.jpg
IMG-20120325-00060.jpg

Time for an update: Changed the res out on Tuesday and added 1/4 tbs of Micro,bloom and flower. I also added 2 tsp of cal/mag and 2 tsp of h202. Things really seem to be taking off. Temps are a little higher this week L70-76, H 78-84; Rez temps are doing alright for now I've been putting ice in another bucket up to where the outer lip stops it. Its been dropping the rez temps down pretty good. Really tight nodes so far i hope it continues to do so.

Nute shot
IMG-20120329-00075.jpg

Just got a light misting
IMG-20120329-00070.jpg

IMG-20120329-00071.jpg

Finally roots came through over night!!
IMG-20120329-00074.jpg

There coming around Im using the same nutes as u

Right now I'm at 3 grow 2 micro 1 bloom 1 calimagic 3/4 rapid rooter tsp per gallon

Got to say I'm pretty happy with the GH flora series and the price is great

Hey Alba, tagging along here. I like the idea of aerating the feed line... I might have to try that. I've got a little different setup, but with 1/2" irrigation tubing on the water pump with 1/4" barbs already coming off it to the plants. I could just add one more (or if one looks like it's not going to make it, just take that port...

Hey Alba, tagging along here. I like the idea of aerating the feed line... I might have to try that. I've got a little different setup, but with 1/2" irrigation tubing on the water pump with 1/4" barbs already coming off it to the plants. I could just add one more (or if one looks like it's not going to make it, just take that port...

Sounds good man! welcome

Yeah after i made it i had some problems with my pump, but once the roots hit the water i took it out anyways. The shop by me sells a general hydroponics premade one thats pretty neat with a good drip line, my store is way overpriced and it was 15 bucks so maybe you could pick it up cheaper. If i didn't have all the hoses and fittings it probably would have cost me close to that.

The growth is extremely tight so far. Really deep green color. There is a lot of sets of leaves emerging however only two nodes are visibly obvious and are only maybe a half an inch long. They also already have new growth from the total of those 4 nodes (ill try to get a picture but my camera sucks). Not to shabby CFLs.

The roots are nearly doubling everyday and are looking pretty white and spectacular if I do say so myself. Drinking some but not too much I'm letting the water drop some anyways so I'm not replacing it a the moment. It's drinking about 1/4" a day.

According to the ppm converter on here I am currently running about 52ppm calmag and 78ppm flora series. For around 130ppm total. Should I up it next week? It doesn't seem to be getting too much N cause its not stretching or looking succulent. Should i stay safe and run it again at the same nutes another week?

I think I am going to top it, then tie down the new branches as well as the two below it. Using a bucket I feel this may be the most efficient way of using all the space i have available and i get a clone out of it. Feedback and input is always welcome and encouraged thanks

Alba

Nitrogen toxicity as far as I know cause the plant to slow it's growth. I'm going to be following the GH feeding chart online instead of the back of the bottle I was using 3 tsp per gallon of grow and the website says to use 2 tsp per gallon which would explain my nitrogen problem I've been having. Also i picked up floralicious plus to add to my lineup along with humboldt honey hydro so we will see how those help out.

Plants are looking great really had my doubts also the root shots are always appreciated

I went and checked up on the plant and I am quite confused. It has only been in veg for a few days over 3 weeks and its not very big, yet there are female pistils on each branched node. I used this to double check What are preflowers? and its exactly what it looks like just smaller. I only increased the lighting from 18/6 to 20/4 over a few day period so I am pretty sure I didn't stress them. My phone camera sucks and they are too small to take pictures of at the moment. Im not sure what to do, ill be lurking in auto flower grows please stop by and have some input if you know whats going on thanks.

I'm guessing i have an auto flowering strain of some kind. I guess i need to start training the plant soon.. help!! i wasn't expecting an auto flower strain or for it to show me flowers this early. What growth should I expect over the next few weeks? typical 2-3 times larger or does it vary with auto flowers?

Thanks
alba

so is your plant showing the white hair like things that come out at the nodes on the stem or is it just the 2 green spikes where the white hairs do come out of when flowering,

yep thats it mate, you sure do have a girl, the little white stipules are the signs its a girl, the males sprout little balls around them 2 green bit sticking up but you have got the 2 white preflowers which is a sure sign you have a very sexy girl on your hands, lets hope she is a gooden and produces a fine lot of smoke for ya

and these pre flowers showed during the beg stage and not before switching the lights to 12-12, it seems very early to get pre flowers at this stage, i dont even think auto show sex that early, mine are under cfls and are a month old and have no signs of preflower yet, not really sure why yours are, possibly auto or early flowering but with the lights still set to veg its to hard to say, maybe someone else can give you a better idea on what is causing this, what lighting schedule are you using, if they flower now you wont end up with very much of a yield so unless its an auto you need to stop it flowering if its started and put it back in veg.

i switched my lights to 24-0 and my plants seem to be growing a lot quicker and seem a lot healthier, so as long as the plants are not autos then you could try 24-0 and you should notice more growth and healthier plants, i switched from 20-4 to 24-0 and my plants shot up and prefered the 24 hours of light, i always thought plants needed a dark period but after reading a load of journals and studies done and even in books by top growers i soon changed my mind and switched to 24-0 and i think my plants are all the better for it,

but each to their own, do what you want to do, but id try and find out why its showing signs of preflower, it may just stay with the pre flower as plants that reach maturity will show preflowers until they are switched to 12-12, so you may find they will stay in veg till their switched to 12-12.

Yeah i realized i was looking at the stipules, not the pre flowers..high people problems :(

Haha It isn't my pic i got it from the How to Sex guide. Anyways i didnt think the stipules showed up this early.

Yeah i debated running 24/0 but I'm running 20/4. Since I'm running a dwc in a box my rez temps need the 4 hours off so the temps wont run too high and to reset the ambient air temp back down to 70 (it raises to about 80 during the day)

Hey don how tight are your nodes? My petiole and stems are only elongating like 5cm and then the node is already growing out another stem from the auxiliary bud. I haven't seen many strains with this type of growth habit yet, especially considering I'm not very far along or much height/girth to my plant. Its just really compact i guess is the best word for it. From what Ive read its good but i guess I'm wondering if its the CFLs or the Strain or a perhaps both.

same here mate, my plants are small in height but all the new branches that are growing out of the nodes are nearly as high as the top of the plant, even though these new branches hav only got small first leaves on them, the indica plants of mine seem to be having slow upwards growth and everything below the top of the plant seems to be growing and catching up with the top of the plant, so instead of having one main cola it seems these lower branches are going to be level with the top of the plant,

how ever on my big bud cross northern lights femenised this seems to be growing as normal and is getting taller and the growth below is keeping where it is and is growing the same speed as the plant itself.

but all my indica plants the special kush and the big bud seem to have very little vertical growth and all the new branches below the top of the plant seem to be growing very quick and have caught up with the top of the plant, so the next node from the tip has 2 shoots that have grown and are level with the top of the plant.

like you im hoping this is a good thing, it looks as if the plants wont have 1 main cola and they seem to be growing more main colas due to the lower branches catching up with the top of the plant, i guess this would mean you dont need to top the plant.
my big bud at the moment has got the main stem growth and the 2 branches at next node are level with the top of the plant, so far this means i have 3 growth tips that are level, and the 2 branches below them 3 are nearly catching up as well, so it looks like its going to be a very bushy plant with little height, im just hoping this is a good thing and saves us topping to get more main cola.

you may be able to see my plants under my journal, i took a video of my plants and the quality is poor due to using my fone but you might be able to see the branches im on about,

as we have both got similar traits does this mean its down to the lights or is it down to genes in the plants such as strain or how the mother plants where grown, it would be nice to find out why,

but im thinking if it was the lights then surely the lower branches would have slow growth as well so im leaning towards it been a gene in the plant, so lets hope its all good and where going to get a great return, it seems we will have several top branches at the same height so we should then have more than one main cola

Don
Im sure its a mix of both. Each of my petioles have an aidditonal node point coming out so i have 3 clear leaf sets, then growth in each node which would be 6, plus the ones on top that are too hard/no point to count. Im pretty sure mine is some kind of indica im just not sure which type yet. Hopefully it will be more obvious when it starts flowering. Im sure its the cfls too, since our plants aren't the large and the plants dont need to stretch to get adequate lighting im sure that's why its so tight even for an indica. Some of the indicas grown under HIDs look leggier than ours do at this point but who knows. My goal is to keep about 200w on them after veg.

Back
Top Bottom