First Timer Hoping For Magic With CFLs - DWC & Bag Seeds

Re: First Timer hoping for magic with CFLs, DWC and bag seeds

i know what you mean, ive seen plants that are 2 weeks old bigger than both of ours, and at a month some plants are over a foot tall, i was hopin it would veg for 30days and be a foot tall. but im short of that taget, its difficult to say what it is, maybe its better their less tall and nodes are close hopefully it means bigger buds as they will all be together instead of different bud sites along the branch, been short they should all grow into 1 bud and with the lower branches growing the same height as the plant it should mean we have more top buds.

its just to difficult to say what the problem is, or is not a problem, i thought it was just my plants growing slow and staying short but been as we both got it i just wonder if its the strain, indica are shorter but others ive seen are bigger than ours at 2 weeks, so its hard to say, maybe the cfls make bushier plants,

from what i see my indicas are short and bushy, but if it was the lights then my nl xbb which looks more sativa would also have stunted growth, well it sort of has, it has not grown as much as the indica plants its growing taller and not very bushy, the only thing im concerned about is if the plants i am growing that are staying short are male, only time will tell, at this rate the veg stage is going to take a while, i wanted the plants 1 foot so i ended up with 2ft plants at finish, id say my tallest is 7 to 8 inches, ill measure it tomorrow and let you know, its 1:34am here so chilling on sofa watching tv while my insomnia pisses me off, but hey at least i got peeps on here to talk to.

Some pics from this afternoon

Foliage

IMG-20120402-00087.jpg
IMG-20120402-00088.jpg
IMG-20120402-00091.jpg

Root shots ;) ( 6" net pot)

IMG-20120402-00090.jpg

IMG-20120402-00089.jpg

are you using any nutes yet, im growing in soil so slightly different, your plants seem very close to the stem like their not getting a lot wider, before mine started getting taller the first leaves had reached the edges of my pot, but ive still got the height issue like you have, also yours should start spreading out now the roots are out like that, we will just have to see how things go, im hoping bushy is good, ive lowered my lights to within an inch of the plant to see how much growth that gives me, guess ill find out in the morning

Yeah i changed out the res today and I'm running half nutes now. Yeah if i had a better camera id show you closer but yeah that's what I'm saying its super tight. Yeah I have 4 cfls surrounding the plant at the moment so it gets a good amount of light and each lights only a few inches away.

my nycd in a dwc bubbler has nodes really close

my nycd in a dwc bubbler has nodes really close

Yeah i just read through your journal. They did stay pretty tight with close nodes, hopefully I'll be able to just tie down my top like you did. seemed simple and efficient.

i raised my cfls yesterday and rasied them about 7 or 8 inches above the plants, within 24 hours i noticed loads of upwards growth, so im thinking the plants stopped stretching as the light was right by them so they didnt need to stretch to reach it, ill keep my lights raised for a few days or a week and see what happens, its just my plants had stopped growing and the lower branches that came out the stem had reached the top of the plant and had new growth at all the nodes along the branches, so i raised the light to try and get the plants slightly taller, i want to flower at about 1ft tall, but as all the branches are nearly level with the top of the plant i should get loads of top buds, the lower branches ive pulled down and trained them to the edge of the pot and the new growth at the nodes is now growing up so im hopin my plants will be nice and bushy and have loads of places for buds, ill have to pack the cfls in when i come to flower ill have them above the plants and around the plants so i should be ok

i raised my cfls yesterday and rasied them about 7 or 8 inches above the plants, within 24 hours i noticed loads of upwards growth, so im thinking the plants stopped stretching as the light was right by them so they didnt need to stretch to reach it, ill keep my lights raised for a few days or a week and see what happens, its just my plants had stopped growing and the lower branches that came out the stem had reached the top of the plant and had new growth at all the nodes along the branches, so i raised the light to try and get the plants slightly taller, i want to flower at about 1ft tall, but as all the branches are nearly level with the top of the plant i should get loads of top buds, the lower branches ive pulled down and trained them to the edge of the pot and the new growth at the nodes is now growing up so im hopin my plants will be nice and bushy and have loads of places for buds, ill have to pack the cfls in when i come to flower ill have them above the plants and around the plants so i should be ok

I thought about doing that, because I'm hitting the node point to where i would want to train it. but the node growth is blowing up and so are the other branches so I'm going to leave it for now. Yeah I'm going to flower around a foot too. I think I'm going to get some of those sticky hooks and put them on my lid so i can LST it with those and some thread. (I saw it on here somewhere but forgot where). Your plants are looking good I;m sad my other one died it would have been fun to compare the two mystery's while they grew. worst part is I had 4 others hanging out in seedling mode I just let go :( I wasn't expecting 5/5 germination rate.

im not trying to make the plants have loads of stretch, my plants stopped growing when they reached 6 inches, all the lower branches caught up with the top of the plant and stopped growing, all the side branches i pulled down and then the branches at the nodes started growing upwards as well, i didnt want to flower my plant at 6inches as the buds would only be small, but by raising the lights slightly im going to have slightly taller and still bushy plants, they wont look like they have stretched like you see some plants, but if i didnt raise the lights my plant would still be 6 inches tall and the buds would be small, i want it about a foot high so i end up with 2 ft plant when harvested,

so im not stretching the plant to make it look stretched or to hurry it up, but i just had no growth for about 2 weeks due to me keep lowering the light, and when it was about an inch away from the top of the plant the main shoot totally stopped growing on both my plants, so all i am trying to do is get my plant to be slightly taller as well as bushy, otherwise it would of been bushy but only 6inches tall, which wouldnt of got me any big buds, but now i have raised the lights all the branches that reached level with the top of the plant are all growing at the same speed as the top of the plant, if i think it looks like its stretching to much ill just lower the lights, but i wanst happy with the lack of growth and how the plant looked my stem was just getting thicker and thicker and no growth, so i lst all the side branches and pulled them down so the nodes on them branches started growing upwards and thats what their doing, i raised the lights as my plants had reached the maximum height due to the lights been to low to the plant.

so i know what you mean when i dont want stretching but the plants have had no stretch from day one they are just bushing out nice now and im pleased with the groth, its not stretching as such but more filling out now,

what i used for training my plants is pipe cleaners, i poked holes all around the top of my pot, then i use pipe cleaners to hook the branches with then i poke the other end through the holes and pull the branches to where i want them, it allows me to pull the branches down and pull them in what ever direction i want, it also allows me to pull big leaves out the way of lower branches as well, the pipe cleaners where dirt cheap off amazon and i can use them over and over again, i got the 30cm ones as the shorter ones i think would be to short, i got the idea off another grower and its been the best thing i have bought so far to help train the plants

I don't understand about the deliberate stretching... don't you want the buds compact?

Yeah I have a hard time just raising my lights. There are growth sites at every node a few leaves deep. So I decided to keep the lights low and trim off some fan leaves to allow more light to be able to reach inside the canopy. I'm really not a fan of cutting the fan leaves because of their high photosynthesis and nutrient storage. However, they were clawing over and blocking so much light. My goal is that the growth sites will grow out and towards the light and thus increasing and focusing on those branches. If all goes well it would have 9 bud sites already so Im not sure if ill even train it this go. Only time will tell, its not getting tall enough for me to LST it lol, and i really dont want to top it unless i feel i need to. I made a solution of nutes/water to add back to the tank each day after the plant drinks. Its been 2 days and its drinks nearly a quarter gallon of water already.

Ill try to get some pics of the haircut up, After a few hours i could see the plant switching over to those growth sites from the fan leaves.

Yeah I have a hard time just raising my lights. There are growth sites at every node a few leaves deep. So I decided to keep the lights low and trim off some fan leaves to allow more light to be able to reach inside the canopy. I'm really not a fan of cutting the fan leaves because of their high photosynthesis and nutrient storage. However, they were clawing over and blocking so much light. My goal is that the growth sites will grow out and towards the light and thus increasing and focusing on those branches. If all goes well it would have 9 bud sites already so Im not sure if ill even train it this go. Only time will tell, its not getting tall enough for me to LST it lol, and i really dont want to top it unless i feel i need to. I made a solution of nutes/water to add back to the tank each day after the plant drinks. Its been 2 days and its drinks nearly a quarter gallon of water already.

Ill try to get some pics of the haircut up, After a few hours i could see the plant switching over to those growth sites from the fan leaves.

If you don't want to cut the leaves, what about pinning them back to the main stock with some of that pipe cleaner? That way they're more out of the way and still catching some light...

9 Bud sites!@ Awwlright!

Looking forward to the pics

thats what im using, pipe cleaners their soft enough not to cut into the leaves or branches yet flexible enough to bend into any place you like, either tie the leaves back to the stem or poke holes around the rim of the pot and push the pipe cleaners through the holes and hook the other end around the plant your trying to get out of the way,

what ive been doing is pulling the leaves in a direction that allows the light to reach the lower branches, i was going to lst mine but i left it to long and plus my stem is nearly half an inch thick so it wont lst, but what i have done is since raising the lights the side branches have really started growing so each day i tie them down so their running level with the pot, a sort of lst with the side branches, im gettig between an inch and an inch and half of new growth on these lower branches so i keep pulling them back down, this has lot all the new shoots that are growing along these branches grow up towards the light, so im getting loads of shoots that will be bud sites, so far ive got 6 shoots on each branch and their all starting to grow upwards, and everyday i check i find the branches have grown and need tying down again, im not getting much upwards growth even now the lights have been raised, so im hoping coreys products will give them the boos they need, or maybe the plants are just bred to be small and bushy, but i did fim them so it could be that the plants dont take to well to being fimd and have got stressed to much, but the new growth is coming through so ill give it a while to recover and start growing again

Nice its a girl!! im wondering how long the plant has to be before seeing the sex? mines about a mother or so, i havent seen any or i can see them cuz i have no magifine glass

the usually show sex after about 6 weeks under veg not sure outdoors though, they wont show sex till their mature enough unless you force a cutting into flower just to find out, it would save growing it for ages only to find out its male, so you could take the cutting and put it under 12-12 and get the sex then throw the cutting out or try and put it back into veg or just plant it outside and see what it does

In most cases they won't show any sign till they reach a level of maturity. This is normally indicated by alternated nodes. In the beginning the opposing branches are opposite each other. They will stagger and become alternating, then look for pre-flower signs. The time it takes for a plant to reach this stage varies.

mine showed 10th day of flower. Had to toss one of the buggers out! Damn men in my convent!

That sounds about right, in my travels it occurs within 14 days normally. The Indica will tend to mature sooner as well. I have had some that show in veg before I get to flower. They all will if vegged long enough. Forcing it into 12/12 is exactly that, forcing it. When they are mature they burst into flower, not until then.

just as i thought so in veg when the plant stops growing the same both sides and the nodes start spacing out and not even to each other then thats when it shows signs of sex, so when you put a plant early into 12-12 do you still have to wait for this uneven node growth before it shows sex or does it show sex under any growth under 12-12

this is a good question, i would like to know as well cuz i want to know if Unknown is a lady or not some time cuz if she is a male ill prob end up ordering soem Jock horror or northern light fem autos

Back
Top Bottom