Fluffy's Got The Golden Ticket

After reading so much about it and seeing BIDs results, I'm a believer that has switched to GLR and DLS for my grow.:cheesygrinsmiley:
I know for a fact that GLR reduces internodal spacing in veg and also speeds up flower onset when switched to 12/12. Which is why I use that schedule.

So I have a question. lets just say auto seeds cost about 14 usd and they all freeze to death what kind of savings does the gas lantern routine give you? or even if they didn't die and they grew so slow from the cold they added a couple extra week's veg to get them were you wanted them before the 12/12 switch. Just my logic on the matter. Ok Giga I'm ready mate, got my hard hat on brother hammer away..:green_heart:

See Fluffster I swam only half way across the pond before I got me knickers (what do they call guy's underwear over there? not trying to say I wear panties lol) out of me bottom. Thanks for jumping in and braving the shark's to get me back Fluffy I know how you fear them.

Hi Fluff!
read in tony's journal you're interested in making a CO2 bubbler??
IMHO a bigger one like my carboy version would be perfect for your little spaces..

here's a recipe that was posted in my first journal with a few pictures I took..

I got the idea from another forum, but I expanded on it a bit. I use that same recipe. 15ml yeast (I just got a bunch of champagne yeast packets and it seems to be the best yeast to use, as well as 4.5 gallon carboy at a wine supply shop.) It's really important to have a thermometer to make sure the water isn't too warm. If its too warm it will kill the yeast, then it's all a waste. I just got some mini porous sprinkler hoses and a "T" connector. So I can make a loop around the canapy, and the CO2 will just cascade down through the leaves. I'll post photos of it later.
Oh yeah it's not coco, it's just dry Sunshine mix just before I gave them a good drink.

Here's his recipe and directions to make a DIY CO2 bubbler..
Stuff that you need...
- 2L pop bottle +2caps
- 3" of 1 1/4" Clear Vinyl Tubing (something with a bit of stretch)
- 1.5m of 5mm tubing
- 15ml Yeast (I used dry baker’s yeast but apparently Champaign yeast is the best)/ 480ml Sugar/ 2L Water
- drill with bits
- epoxy (waterproof)

To make the Bubbler on top:
-cut the 1 1/4" tubing to about 2.5" in length.
-Drill 5-6 super tiny holes (1/32" - 1/16") through one cap and one 5mm or 7/32" hole through the other, clean them all out and set aside.
-Soak the Tube in boiling water for 2-3 minutes, so it will have a little stretch to fit around the bottle caps.
-Push the bottle caps into the tube and stretch the tube around until flush with the bottom of the base of the cap.
-Let harden for couple hrs...
-Fin. Set aside...

To Make the Fermentation Mixture:
-Warm the 2l in a pot on the stove and dissolve the 480ml sugar, stirring constantly, as soon as all of the sugar is dissolved take it off the heat. Stick a thermometer in the sugar-water solution and let it cool to 38° C, this is the optimal temperature for yeast to activate, too hot will kill the yeast!
-Add the 15ml of yeast, stirring constantly, until it mostly looks dissolved.
-Let the mixture activate for half-hour to an hour before poured into the bottle.

Clean up a pop bottle with soap and water, bleach if you really want and make sure it is really well rinsed out. Add the fermentation solution to your newly cleaned out pop bottle almost to the top, probably 1.8L total, fill the bubbler from the bigger holed side and quickly screw it on to the top of the 2L without squeezing the bottle (it will suck all of the water out of your bubbler) you should notice small bubbles start to come through, that is the CO2, stick your 5mm hose through the hole, not into the water, just above the surface of the water; and wrap the other end (poked with small holes) around your plants. Now you have CO2! CHEAP!
***This Solution will last about 1week at optimal production, after that you can choose to either add more sugar to keep the yeast going or replace the fermentation mixture; if no more bubbles appear after the sugar has been added a second time then the yeast has been killed by the by-product of the co2 production, alcohol.
***THE FIRST MIXTURE does not need to be re-warmed for the addition of extra sugar!

But I find just attaching the hose to the back of a oscolating fan works best.
Make sure its either at plant level blowing upwards.
Or have it attached to a fan blowing between canopy and light, but you have to have another fan at floor level blowing upwards towards plants. They uptake the CO2 from the underside of the leaves hence the upward blowing fan..
In a bigger carboy like the one in my photo should enrich your little space to about 700-800 PPM.
You WILL see a big difference using one of these things Fluff, and I totally suggest you try it..
Plants will look super dark green and healthy, and they grow so fast. with 2 of these little bubblers in my small space I was seeing my plants grow 2-3 inches a day in veg.
hope this helps!:)

cfl_123_co2_1.jpg

cfl_123_co2_2.jpg

So I have a question. lets just say auto seeds cost about 14 usd and they all freeze to death what kind of savings does the gas lantern routine give you?

firstly :rofl:

secondly, they are unlikely to freeze to death in fluffys place, small (fairly well insulated?) appartment with two full adults and a doggy, below 10c shouldnt be overly common.

besides, all the heart warming fluffy hugs our fluffy gives out...she only needs to make eye contact with them and they will go up a couple of degrees :rofl:

So I have a question. lets just say auto seeds cost about 14 usd and they all freeze to death what kind of savings does the gas lantern routine give you? or even if they didn't die and they grew so slow from the cold they added a couple extra week's veg to get them were you wanted them before the 12/12 switch. Just my logic on the matter. Ok Giga I'm ready mate, got my hard hat on brother hammer away..:green_heart:

See Fluffster I swam only half way across the pond before I got me knickers (what do they call guy's underwear over there? not trying to say I wear panties lol) out of me bottom. Thanks for jumping in and braving the shark's to get me back Fluffy I know how you fear them.
i guess the right veg schedule solely depends on your grow room.if cold night temps is an issue maybe glr isnt for you.it also depends on if it cost more to run your lights at 18/6 or run a little ceramic heater at its lowest setting.nighttime temps can go as low as 65 degrees without stunting growth does your room get colder than that? my dehumidifiers keep the room at around 75 degrees lights off and its winter here.I actually have to run the a/c to get it any cooler than that near the end to get the pretty colours:)Ive vegged pretty much every way you can over the years and they all work great.the thing I like about glr is they are alot closer to flower.I flipped my lights 2 days ago and they are already starting to show sex.so not only do you save money on hydro but you save time in transition which shortens the whole round by at least a week and this saves you more money:)

firstly :rofl:

secondly, they are unlikely to freeze to death in fluffys place, small (fairly well insulated?) appartment with two full adults and a doggy, below 10c shouldnt be overly common.

besides, all the heart warming fluffy hugs our fluffy gives out...she only needs to make eye contact with them and they will go up a couple of degrees :rofl:

I know that but with seedlings they can be so fragile I even keep a very low wattage light bulb in a tin pie pan and then insert that in a
single ply cardboard box and place my newly hatched plants on top of it. (Poor mans heating pad) I also use an old shirt to regulate the ( this also how I get my clones to root faster)temps to keep from cooking them. We are talking about seedlings right? oh crap I better go back and look lol. Fluffeeee you need to camp out next to them until they get strong!

yeah what gittergreen and GiG said:)

very cool DIY Vick:bravo: couple of those would be perfect for a closet or 4x8 tent! tell ya one thing brewers yeast and sugar are a hell of alot cheaper than filling co2 tanks at 65 bucks a pop.I just hooked up the 5th tank this round with 2 more tanks to go.

you gotta make one of these Fluffster! the benefits will blow you away.its not uncommon to get 2-3 inches a day of new growth in veg and 20 to 40% increase in yield:)

Bingo Bango!
:amen:

what hozona said:)

I know that but with seedlings they can be so fragile I even keep a very low wattage light bulb in a tin pie pan and then insert that in a
single ply cardboard box and place my newly hatched plants on top of it. (Poor mans heating pad) I also use an old shirt to regulate the ( this also how I get my clones to root faster)temps to keep from cooking them. We are talking about seedlings right? oh crap I better go back and look lol. Fluffeeee you need to camp out next to them until they get strong!

Gittergreen, I think that seedlings are much sturdier than that actually.

I used to use heat under them but I don't anymore, and honestly I think that there are more potential perils with heat vs. benefits, as the heat can dry the medium/paper-towel/whatever a little quicker, cooking the roots/seedling (if you're not careful enough, obviously you take smart precautions). I realize that you are adding very little, and controlled warmth. I used to do similar with towels over the heating pad for subtle heat.

I stopped the practice of any heat under seedlings after reading an article/post by Subcool on germinating, in which he called heating pads the biggest enemy to seed germination. In it, he also talked about some seeds he spilled near his BBQ grill when sorting them. He eventually forgot about them until he noticed them growing up through the gravel near his grill, in 40-50f temperatures outside (something like that). Healthy as ever, and he had pics to prove it. Also, seeds sprout all the time outside in temps that are very low compared to what we ever give them.

Since letting go of the idea myself (warmth/heat for seedlings), I've since germinated seeds primarily in a room that is about 67f, with no heat added at all. No probs, and they germinated just as quickly. Granted, once they are up and going, I move them to another room with more optimal warmth/light. But... think about nature and the brutal unpredictable environments they've faced for generations. Me offering up 67f with no heat under is paradise in comparison, ya know?

I worry more about temps/consistency for cloning, personally, though maybe that's not as big of an issue as I think, either. That's the biggest reason that I do some flouros 24/0, for a consistent cloning environment.

Please don't think I was trying to disrespect your opinion, I just wanted to add some food for thought, as I believe that seedlings aren't nearly as fragile as we make them out to be. :)

I'm with X here. No use babying your babies when they can handle fairly harsh environments. Energy saved is energy made IMO. Both electrical energy and physical energy spent on over controlling some aspects of your grow could be better spent in other areas.

Just dropped by to say hello Fluffitus:cheesygrinsmiley: Lots of advice...ALL I CAN SAY is WHATEVER XLR8 said....we have been having a clone/germination discussion in a couple of places...from what I can decifer, there are lots of ways to germinate..I have had the best luck with the damp paper towel method, then rockwool or rooting plugs. BID says crack 'em, drop them into rooting plugs and watch 'em grow.
He sprouts a lot more seeds than I do. Hope this helps....hugs:circle-of-love:

there are lots of things that can easily kill a seedling. i keep my plants at a pretty much constant 25c from the moment they enter water,then in new soil in unused pots and very lightly spraying a couple of times a day and i still get a 3-5 out of 20 fail rate.
some dont crack, some crack but give up, some fail to crack their shell in time, some get unexplained damping off, some taps dry suddenly, some sorta drown, some a born mutated enough to die from malfunction and some have an adverse reaction to your medium....and that all before they even open their first set of true leaves, lol

lmao even with those problems i still go seeds.
even with taking clones from clones. the amount of plants you can spawn per year is a fraction of seeds.

1 single breeding pair can produce more ready to smoke plants per year than could a dozen clones and their decendants.

same again with preparing to make a sow and go outdoor stealth crop...virtually pointless with clones compared to a nice 50 day auto breeding pair at home to make a few thousand plants...from 2 seeds to a thousand plants in a single year...yes pls =D

Gittergreen, I think that seedlings are much sturdier than that actually.

I used to use heat under them but I don't anymore, and honestly I think that there are more potential perils with heat vs. benefits, as the heat can dry the medium/paper-towel/whatever a little quicker, cooking the roots/seedling (if you're not careful enough, obviously you take smart precautions). I realize that you are adding very little, and controlled warmth. I used to do similar with towels over the heating pad for subtle heat.

I stopped the practice of any heat under seedlings after reading an article/post by Subcool on germinating, in which he called heating pads the biggest enemy to seed germination. In it, he also talked about some seeds he spilled near his BBQ grill when sorting them. He eventually forgot about them until he noticed them growing up through the gravel near his grill, in 40-50f temperatures outside (something like that). Healthy as ever, and he had pics to prove it. Also, seeds sprout all the time outside in temps that are very low compared to what we ever give them.

Since letting go of the idea myself (warmth/heat for seedlings), I've since germinated seeds primarily in a room that is about 67f, with no heat added at all. No probs, and they germinated just as quickly. Granted, once they are up and going, I move them to another room with more optimal warmth/light. But... think about nature and the brutal unpredictable environments they've faced for generations. Me offering up 67f with no heat under is paradise in comparison, ya know?

I worry more about temps/consistency for cloning, personally, though maybe that's not as big of an issue as I think, either. That's the biggest reason that I do some flouros 24/0, for a consistent cloning environment.

Please don't think I was trying to disrespect your opinion, I just wanted to add some food for thought, as I believe that seedlings aren't nearly as fragile as we make them out to be. :)

MMM that was good! You know now that you mention it I remember last winter finding a seedling in a container outdoors that had fell out of a hermied plant that I had grown months earlier. I couldn't bare to kill it since it wanted to survive so bad. So I brought it indoors and
gave it a nice place to live haha It would of been better off outdoors it never amounted to anything regardless of my best efforts.
I don't know if it had anything to do with it's cold birth or not hard to tell with unknown genetics and newbie taking care of it.
I do know what I do when I'm in cold water shrinky dinky no kinky!:yikes:
They are tough little critters aren't they to survive our menacing little fingers!:thanks:

Back
Top Bottom