Flytier's CKS Candy Cane Organic Closet Grow - Fall Of 2017

Well I thought that too. All part of trial and error.

Just finished pressure washing in the waste bldg. Now I stink like all hell.
Don't wash it all away, you should bottle that stuff...... call it Fly's fish fertilizer LMAO. I'd buy it instead, purely based on its origin.

I'm pretty sure now that the problem with the leaves was light burn. The new growth is coming out in pretty good shape, although I think I dialed back the growth on it quite a bit. Also, when I mixed up the soil for my final pots, I forgot that I had no perlite/vermiculite; I may stop into the Co-Op today and pick up some for a remix. I don't know if I'll do the transplant this weekend though; I think I'll let the girls recover a bit. I have a busy morning coming up but I'll try to get some pics up between today and tomorrow.

On a more positive note, it's egg season once again for salmon and we're starting to fill the hatchery for another year. We have maybe 2/3 of a million eggs now (only 9 1/3 million to go), with overtime the last two nights with another load coming tonight. Bring 'er on! Unfortunately, being back on the concrete floor, bending over the tanks taking care of them has my back wrecked after only two days of it. Only eight more months to go.

I feel your pain dude. With winter coming, get some of the tough stuff done niw....no? Hey how many hatcheries are there like yours along the east coast..... Is it the only reason that the salmon are coming back?

I feel your pain dude. With winter coming, get some of the tough stuff done niw....no? Hey how many hatcheries are there like yours along the east coast..... Is it the only reason that the salmon are coming back?

Well, getting the eggs in is only one of the tough steps, in that it's generally a night thing. I'll save the later steps for when we get to them. There are loads of hatcheries, both stocking and commercial, down this way. NB is the east coast hotspot for aquaculture, since the company I work for is based down here and it's one of the world leaders in the industry.

As for the salmon coming back, there are divided opinions on that one. My personal opinion is yes, but there are a lot of people who claim that it's ruining the wild stocks with disease and pollutants and stuff. But like almost all issues, it's not as simple as a pure yes or no, as much as the activists like to think it is. I can point out a documentary (mockumentary?) on YouTube, if you're interested, that's extremely one-sided and full of propaganda, selective omission and loaded terminology to the point of making one sick. I'd only recommend it to someone that's not gullible and has a good ability to think critically for oneself.

Well, getting the eggs in is only one of the tough steps, in that it's generally a night thing. I'll save the later steps for when we get to them. There are loads of hatcheries, both stocking and commercial, down this way. NB is the east coast hotspot for aquaculture, since the company I work for is based down here and it's one of the world leaders in the industry.

As for the salmon coming back, there are divided opinions on that one. My personal opinion is yes, but there are a lot of people who claim that it's ruining the wild stocks with disease and pollutants and stuff. But like almost all issues, it's not as simple as a pure yes or no, as much as the activists like to think it is. I can point out a documentary (mockumentary?) on YouTube, if you're interested, that's extremely one-sided and full of propaganda, selective omission and loaded terminology to the point of making one sick. I'd only recommend it to someone that's not gullible and has a good ability to think critically for oneself.
Yeah I would totally be interested in seeing that and also there are very similar opinions about what happens in the Great Lakes. Obviously we don't have any sort of fish farming going on but there is the argument that if stocking stopped that the Great Lakes would dry up and no commercial fishing would be viable. I'm sure the wild stocks of fish like white fish would still be fine but the trout and salmonoids would definitely disappear in my opinion. Overfishing is still a large problem on the Great Lakes. All of them have large commercial fishing operations.

Yeah I would totally be interested in seeing that and also there are very similar opinions about what happens in the Great Lakes. Obviously we don't have any sort of fish farming going on but there is the argument that if stocking stopped that the Great Lakes would dry up and no commercial fishing would be viable. I'm sure the wild stocks of fish like white fish would still be fine but the trout and salmonoids would definitely disappear in my opinion. Overfishing is still a large problem on the Great Lakes. All of them have large commercial fishing operations.
You know, being from the saltwater i have difficulty picturing commercial fishing in lakes, even the Great Lakes.

I'm waiting for my massage now so I'll find it for you and post the link when i get home.

Have a great time at the massage, LOL..... And you have to remember that the square area of Lake Superior is bigger than the square area of New Brunswick LOL.

Have a great time at the massage, LOL..... And you have to remember that the square area of Lake Superior is bigger than the square area of New Brunswick LOL.

I guess, putting it that way. It's like the Bay of Fundy. People around here can work their whole lives on the water and never leave the bay.

November 03, 2017
Day 20

The two larger girls came back pretty good and the growth is picking up on them and one of the smaller ones is coming around as well, but the other smaller one is still on the mend. I'm pretty sure it was the light that fried the leaves. So now my autos are about a week behind and that's not really a good thing.

Here is one of the large ones. They're getting some nice foliage back but I won't be transplanting them this week like I hoped.
aDSCI1399.jpg

And a small one. This poor thing has seen better days.
aDSCI1403.jpg

So anyway, CFLs should be kept a bit above the plants, but I do have about 300W of lights on them too. Chalk up another one to experience.

Hey Flytier! Girls are coming around... you are probably right about the light burn... quick question for you also... when you water do you water to runoff (if so how much?) or how do you gauge it? btw... I'm going out Sunday morning for some Bows! Watched a guy this morning pull in a 12lb'r!

Hey Flytier! Girls are coming around... you are probably right about the light burn... quick question for you also... when you water do you water to runoff (if so how much?) or how do you gauge it? btw... I’m going out Sunday morning for some Bows! Watched a guy this morning pull in a 12lb’r!

Hey man! I just got the last of the flies put together tonight. It's a nice variety of some of my favorites for catching a number of species, from salmonids to panfish to bass or whatever. I got lots of flies in there that can handle 12 pounders. I'd love to get at some of that fishing.

I water to runoff, but not a lot. No point of flushing out the good stuff. And even then I leave the water for the soil to take up over time. I don't use any chemical salts or anything - the closest I come in that respect is a bit of potash - the rest is pretty much organic based.

Hey man! I just got the last of the flies put together tonight. It's a nice variety of some of my favorites for catching a number of species, from salmonids to panfish to bass or whatever. I got lots of flies in there that can handle 12 pounders. I'd love to get at some of that fishing.

I water to runoff, but not a lot. No point of flushing out the good stuff. And even then I leave the water for the soil to take up over time. I don't use any chemical salts or anything - the closest I come in that respect is a bit of potash - the rest is pretty much organic based.

So here's a preview of this year's fall lineup. I try to get a variety of types on the go; that way you're quite likely to get a bunch that you'll be extra pleased with.
aDSCI1408.jpg

Those look awesome! I can't wait to try them out! It was +15 today... we may get away with a few more nice days on the river!

Thanks for the flush answer. I'm growing in organic soil but nothing like what you do... that's my next step... better dirt! But that will be next season. Right now I'm going to pack in my grow stuff once my current grow finishes until next year. My plan is that I am going to push these girls to pack on some weight. I'm using organic nutes and don't want to lock them up at this point. Thought I would get your thoughts. Right now I'm thinking a half feed every third feed and keep an eye on the girls and see if they show any nite issues! Love following along Flytier and learning from u! Keep it Green! ..

Those look awesome! I can't wait to try them out! It was +15 today... we may get away with a few more nice days on the river!

Thanks for the flush answer. I'm growing in organic soil but nothing like what you do... that's my next step... better dirt! But that will be next season. Right now I'm going to pack in my grow stuff once my current grow finishes until next year. My plan is that I am going to push these girls to pack on some weight. I'm using organic nutes and don't want to lock them up at this point. Thought I would get your thoughts. Right now I'm thinking a half feed every third feed and keep an eye on the girls and see if they show any nite issues! Love following along Flytier and learning from u! Keep it Green! ..

Right on, glad you like the flies. When does your fishing season close out your way? Ours was over on the 15th of October, I think. You can shoot me your address via PM and I'll ship them out later the week when I get a day off.

WRT the flush, that was something I read somewhere. Organic nutes are much easier on the plants than chemical salts and they don't need to be flushed out, not even near the end of budding, from what I understand. I've rarely fed my plants while they were in that stuff too, although I'll probably give them a bit more next year and try to get a feel for what they like. What stage are your plants at now? As they grow they can take more, especially in bud, but I'd ask first somebody with more experience than me.

Got a bit of good news today. The mother-in-law is going to be boarding with friends so I don't have to worry about my grow room and her bigmouth friend. It's all systems go again.
A bit of good news? For a guy considering not falling of the wagon, but jumping head first.... Id say awesome news bud!

A bit of good news? For a guy considering not falling of the wagon, but jumping head first.... Id say awesome news bud!

Ok, so my initial reaction was to almost get up and dance a jig, but I'm back to working on a concrete floor and my back won't let me make too many fast moves. But you get the idea...

Got a bit of good news today. The mother-in-law is going to be boarding with friends so I don't have to worry about my grow room and her bigmouth friend. It's all systems go again.
Congrats man that's the most positivity I've seen in a while XD

Cheers man way better than smoking crack XD

Back
Top Bottom