Gardenfaerie Auto Fem - CFL to Greenhouse

When do you think you'll move the cannabis outside? For some reason I thought you were from our area when you mentioned the hot summers (+100 F days, 70 degree nights), I can't wait to see you grow and partake in your adventures. I would also enjoy seeing your regular garden photos, perhaps if you get the time you could make an off-topic thread for them :) It's been in the 80s around here lately, so it's like summer is almost here already, gonna be a hot one we got coming! :surf:

I'll post some garden photos for you here in my journal. This journal is basically done. I cut the final plants a few days ago. I just ran out of steam with the autos. They were okay, I guess.

I did move plants into the greenhouse back in March. The seedlings succumbed to a massive and unexplained infestation of aphids and spider mites. My vision is very poor and I didn't see them until the damage was done. Two of six survived and they are back in my closet with their 4 cousins which I started from seed last month, also. No autos.

The night temps have been dropping into the high 40s even though we have 80 degree days and have for over a month now. I am completely land locked where I live. I live in a region which has 4 corridors intersecting. It's a very dynamic place. That said, when it is dry the night temps have been cooler than I think cannabis likes. I do have the greenhouse, but I don't trust it any more this year. Nothing is in it any more. All my plants I started from seed for the garden, ornamentals are all either planted in the ground or in flats on the deck hardening off. I gauge by my tomatoes. If they don't like the temps, cannabis won't either.

I watched the weather tonight and though it will be 60 and above all next week at night, next Tuesday they are calling again for 45. VERY freaky and unusual for here. Stay here, I'll put the photos up of the garden last year.

A little update on my seedlings in the closet awaiting the great outdoors:

Remember this dead thing?

rrr2.jpg

Well, look at her now.

4-12-7.jpg

Here is what the Lemon Kush looked like:

IMG_0661251.JPG

And now:

4-12-5.jpg

The next photos are all new from seed:

4-12-6.jpg

4-12-2.jpg

4-12-4.jpg

Almost enough nodes to get started. Then I'll start my new journal. Thoughts?

Glorious!

Yes, my thoughts are this: I know you think 48 degrees is a little cold for them babies, but the warm days are WELL worth it. You may not see a 70 degree night until June! (if thats what your waiting for), I think they would be fine even outside of the greenhouse, the sooner they get adapted, the better. I use a white material by Agribon, it is mainly used for frost prevention of tender seedlings, it forms the main foundation of my outdoor tent, so even though its 50-60 degrees at night, its still about 70-75 inside the tent. Also I have had seedlings outside of the tent since January in 45-60 degree night time temperatures. Looks to me they are ready to see the Sun! :cheer:

Glorious!

Yes, my thoughts are this: I know you think 48 degrees is a little cold for them babies, but the warm days are WELL worth it. You may not see a 70 degree night until June! (if thats what your waiting for), I think they would be fine even outside of the greenhouse, the sooner they get adapted, the better. I use a white material by Agribon, it is mainly used for frost prevention of tender seedlings, it forms the main foundation of my outdoor tent, so even though its 50-60 degrees at night, its still about 70-75 inside the tent. Also I have had seedlings outside of the tent since January in 45-60 degree night time temperatures. Looks to me they are ready to see the Sun! :cheer:

I live in Zone 8b. It is never this cool at night in April. This is a freak thing. I do agree they definitely are craving sun. I think once you grow in the great outdoors, nothing can compare to it. I enjoyed the autos I grew because of all the fussing, but I can't WAIT to grow some real plants this winter inside. OR, I also considered buying another greenhouse just for the pot. Just another 6x8 footer. I can then fit both the small house I have now and the one I would buy inside the larger greenhouse. I can supplement the light when it gets dark early...but I'd have to figure out a way to darken the house so nobody sees the lights on all the time. That would definitely stick out.

I also have a huge bolt of the floating row cover you are talking about. Maybe tomorrow I will build a little box and cover it with the fabric, and uncover it during the day. I still think 40s and they even said it may be down to 38!!!!!!!! is way too cold for these tender babies. Fifty is the coolest I'd be comfortable with. I don't want any more set backs.

HERE I AM THINKING U R STILL IN NY. did not know the zone chart thing, thanks GF:thanks:, learned something more here today! The moth you might see in my latest post was from before, you came here to 420 and blessed me w/ the fact that these monsters DO NOT like cannabis. That was a beautiful day for me that brought my pursuit of, "the fastest moth in the world" to an end. thousands of calories burned to catch one moth for nothing, but the picture!

i'll save u the click, I was very proud of this kill, until that day you told me "they are harmless to my girls" lol

so glad we have you:circle-of-love:

Sphinx moth aka Hawk moth aka Tomato moth aka Hummingbird moth
hawkmoth.jpg

Hay there GF

Can't believe i never saw this thread... i love that cfl setup you have, if i may ask (i did look but could not find) what W rating of those CFL globes you use?

Well i am subed up and will be following closely as i too have built a sort of greenhouse for the winter grow and i am learning allot.

Best and Blessed to you and your Plants :Namaste:

:adore: :circle-of-love: & :420:

Hay there GF

Can't believe i never saw this thread... i love that cfl setup you have, if i may ask (i did look but could not find) what W rating of those CFL globes you use?

Well i am subed up and will be following closely as i too have built a sort of greenhouse for the winter grow and i am learning allot.

Best and Blessed to you and your Plants :Namaste:

:adore: :circle-of-love: & :420:

Sorry, I didn't answer you. The CFL's are 42 watt or 150 incandescent equal and there are also a bunch of 40 watt CFL's also.

I measured the lumens with the light meter and they are at 2200, consistently. Thank you for your many lovely blessings. Namaste

which light meter are you using?

It's a cheap three in one. Even if it is off by 30% I am satisfied with the light output for seedlings. Actually, I grew four autos under those CFLs and the weed was pretty good. If I continue to use CFLs I plan to make up a fixture for them and have it a lot more evenly lit. They way it is now is willie nilly.

GF, you reminded me of the best butter, story I ever heard, this true & I had to share this, before you try your crockpot spread!

Short true story about a guy running into the store for a minute.

I wish I could tell you how much cannabudder, to use for with your first meal. But I can tell you, that your question can be answered by Jay233 or LA, one of them (can't believe I forgot which), but upon trying out how much budder to use, he went into the local store after spreading, too muck budder on some toast. He wound up in the freezer aisle, staring at frozen pizza for over 20 minutes, just looking and wishing he did not eat that 2nd slice of toast, hiis wife was left in the car the whole time, wondering how long could take to run in the store for some milk. He eventually found his way out of the store, with nothing in his hands. true story (almost all of it).

Lesson learned GF, stay home after you try out your cannabudder!

It's a cheap three in one. Even if it is off by 30% I am satisfied with the light output for seedlings. Actually, I grew four autos under those CFLs and the weed was pretty good. If I continue to use CFLs I plan to make up a fixture for them and have it a lot more evenly lit. They way it is now is willie nilly.

right, but which one is it? can you get the reading from an incandescent bulb, then a reading from the the "same" wattage cfl?

right, but which one is it? can you get the reading from an incandescent bulb, then a reading from the the "same" wattage cfl?

If I had an incandescent bulb I'd experiment for you. I just looked at the meter again and it is not marked with any brand, anywhere. If I remember, I bought it at Home Depot for under 10. It's probably not accurate, but I bough it more for the pH and moisture.

I can go dig out my 35mm camera. It has a light meter in it. Let me see if I can find it in the room of doom.

lol I use a phone app and 2200 lux? that sounds correct. incandescent are regular bulbs you probably have some in lamps? my phone app went off the charts for incandescent but not my cfls. i was disappointed. i think a 150 watt hid would set that thing through the roof

Sorry, I didn't answer you. The CFL's are 42 watt or 150 incandescent equal and there are also a bunch of 40 watt CFL's also.

I measured the lumens with the light meter and they are at 2200, consistently. Thank you for your many lovely blessings. Namaste

OH THIS IS GREAT NEWS...

My local hardware has a special on 40w Phillips CFL globes, they are going for 1/2 price so i was wondering if they would work now i know i was thinking of getting 20 of them for use in a single canopy and if you are already getting 2200 from yours this make me happy !!!

I am currently using 80w Phillips CFL globes and they Work VERY well but they are on the pricey side so if i cam go with the 40w then that will be a major cost save as i worked out i can get 20 40w's for the same price as 6 80w's now in any given book that is a much better deal!

Best and Blessed!!

:adore: :circle-of-love:

OH THIS IS GREAT NEWS...

My local hardware has a special on 40w Phillips CFL globes, they are going for 1/2 price so i was wondering if they would work now i know i was thinking of getting 20 of them for use in a single canopy and if you are already getting 2200 from yours this make me happy !!!

I am currently using 80w Phillips CFL globes and they Work VERY well but they are on the pricey side so if i cam go with the 40w then that will be a major cost save as i worked out i can get 20 40w's for the same price as 6 80w's now in any given book that is a much better deal!

Best and Blessed!!

:adore: :circle-of-love:

The more CFLs you can use, the better. I've seen some interesting set ups. One guy attached a bunch of power strips to a piece of plywood and plugged in bulb sockets, then screwed bulbs into the sockets and plugged them all together and into the timer. Very inexpensive and it will work. I don't think anything lower than 40W CFL would be too effective. LA knows much more about this than I do. It definitely is a huge difference than sun. THAT, I know.

Rooster, here is a view of the plants from the side with all the CFL array! I need to get it set up if I'm to grow indoors. Right now it is only set up to keep my seedlings going till outside. Today it is windy, 40mph sustained winds, pouring, very cold under 50. I think that is somewhere around 11C. Tonight they predict a light frost. WHAT ???????

cfl42watt1.jpg

So you just bend the leaves away and down from the tip growth?

I'm fluxing the Lemon Kush and Money Maker, not the WW x BB. Those will go in the ground with the screen. I think I am reallllly close to pinching the tip.

please share w me your mention above RE "I am reallllly close to pinching the tip" :thanks:

what tip (center/top?), when, where n why, u pinch the plant tip? are u referring to my post subject today,

on keeping nodes close together? :thanks: I replied to yr question,

thanks again, for stopping by & I hope you can benefit from the TIP of the Day post!:circle-of-love:

Back
Top Bottom