Grand Daddy Black Grows A Stack

Hello growers.

Today I'm going to take a stab at explaining the condition of my GOG clones.

If you've been looking in you know that over about the past month they have been afflicted with lots of yellowing leaves and I've been unable to figure out why. Some of the the kind folks here at 420 suggested that I do a slurry test on the soil, which I did. The soil PH was at 5.8, a little low (but I may have mucked up the test by flushing the plants prior to doing it).

So I tried to raised the PH of the soil by putting in some fast-acting lime. That seemed to help one of the plants but not the other. And today, even the plant that had shown some improvement is back to mostly yellow again!

Through out this time, the plants have continued to pack weight on buds. Today the buds are quite dense, heavy and have a smattering of amber trichomes. So there's that. :)

Here they are this morning:
GOG clones 10-7-21.JPG

I am not displeased with their current state but I still wonder WHY?

And now I think I may have an answer (or at least a partial one)!

The soil in the plants is compacted, making nutrient uptake a lot more difficult than it should be.

I noticed this Harvest Organics soil I used comes with very little perlite, especially compared to the Fox Farms soils that I had been using.

I don't typically add perlite to FFOF and I guess through force of habit I didn't add any to the HO soil either. But it needed some more, badly. In fact, I believe the HO soil might even work better with some vermiculite rather than perlite. (That is my opinion only. I like the properties of vermiculite a little more because it's supposed to have superior moisture retention properties and it provides silica.)

At this late stage I'm not going to try to resolve the compaction issue. The plants are almost done.

So that's my theory for what it's worth.

Please chime in if it sounds flakier than a box of Kellogs (inside joke for @InTheShed).

On to the Freebie + 1 grow.

They're on day 30 and plugging along. I got the training started on the Original Glue and the THC Bomb will be next. I will try to get some @CarcassSticks® on her within the next few days.

The Alien Rock Candy, after staying the tiniest of the bunch for some time has started to show her stuff. She now has the biggest fan leaves in the tent. The Fast Banana - meh! :Rasta:

Freebie + 1 Grow 10-7-21 Day30 labels.jpg

I didn't have time to get down to the FAST tent before lights out. I'll just say that all the Fast strains are nearly done. I could probably take the Bubblegums now but I'm not up for it today.

The Borg (spider mites) that had been on one of the Bubblegums jumped on the C Banana clone and started munching on her. I knew they would but was helpless to stop them with all the plants being in late-flower.

I'll tried to get some pics posted on that tent tomorrow.

As always, thanks for looking in.

Peace.
I was also questioning if I had packed my soil in too tightly this time around as I'm not having as much vertical growth as I did at the same time my last go. I read that the compact soil, as you noted, prohibits the distribution of nutrients to the roots therefore decreasing the overall amount of nutrients the plant is able to take in, accept, and synthesize.

Your girls are getting there though, despite their yellowing-they look fantastic. Thanks for letting me troll you when I do

I was also questioning if I had packed my soil in too tightly this time around as I'm not having as much vertical growth as I did at the same time my last go. I read that the compact soil, as you noted, prohibits the distribution of nutrients to the roots therefore decreasing the overall amount of nutrients the plant is able to take in, accept, and synthesize.

Your girls are getting there though, despite their yellowing-they look fantastic. Thanks for letting me troll you when I do
Thanks @Krissi1982.

You're welcome here anytime! :Rasta:

I like how this thread was revived :). Earlier, I used to buy my cbd hemp flower from the store even though I was experimenting with growing my own. I never imagined that growing a good plant could be so tedious. Thanks to this thread, I have finally figured out the correct way of getting the plant I wanted without even knowing it. I don't mean to brag. I am not a professional herbologist. And maybe it's just my subconscious, but I like the effect my plants have, a lot more than those I used to buy.
@JanRobertson, I am glad you found some help here if that is the case. I have to admit, however, when I first read your post I thought, "He must have meant to post this somewhere else." :Rasta:

But then I thought, one can learn a lot from stumbling growers as well as from the real hotshot growers.

So thank you Jan for your kind words!

@JanRobertson, I am glad you found some help here if that is the case. I have to admit, however, when I first read your post I thought, "He must have meant to post this somewhere else." :Rasta:

But then I thought, one can learn a lot from stumbling growers as well as from the real hotshot growers.

So thank you Jan for your kind words!
Yeah but we only stumble after the first couple hits . :rofl:

Hello again growers.

When I posted earlier I forgot that I wanted to tell you about the outdoor grow my buddy and I are doing in his backyard.

We (mostly he) took down the Grand Daddy Purple on Monday the 4th.

I was stopping by just to look in on the plant and was more than surprised (actually shocked) to see him butchering it already. The plant had no amber trichs and still had some clear ones. I had just told him on the phone the day before that the long-term weather forecast was favorable for her to finish strong (overnight lows in the 50s-60s F for the next two weeks).

My buddy, hell let me just call him Rick 'cause that's his name. Rick is one of the few people I get along with that has a skull that's thicker than mine. You can't tell him anything.

That was my challenge. To try and guide this newbie who believes he knows it all through his first few grows! :Rasta:

That being the case, I failed miserably in trying to get him to let the plant grow to maturity. Shit happens. At least we got it close.
Ricks harvest.jpg

So there's a lot of weed laying around when I come in the yard and I'm like, "What the hell are you doing?"

Long story short, the deed is done. We washed everything and I was left feeling a little down. I think he'll get about 10 ozs of some "kinda uplifting" weed. I got a few of the large branches and went home to dry them.

But that's not all.

Rick called me that evening (Monday) to let me know that he had hung the plant in his 4x4 tent, including small circulation fans inside and the tent's exhaust fan on full blast! I told him to turn the exhaust fan off and just use passive exhaust for them. (I don't know if he did or not.)

He sent me this pic:
Ricks hang job.jpeg

But that's not all either!

Rick called me on Wednesday evening (2 days after hanging) and said that he had taken the plants down and jarred them. Yikes! :eek:

By this time he had taken the buds from the stems and had two big serving trays full.

Here's one of them:
Ricks tray.jpeg

I told him there was no way in this universe that those plants were dry enough to be jarred. He insisted they were. I told him they would mold. He said they were dry. I told him that the branches I had taken were still quite moist. He said his must have dried fast because he had the exhaust fan on. Sheesh! :lot-o-toke:

But even that's not all (and thankfully this will be it for this post).

Rick called me this morning sounding humble and showering me with thanks. He said he checked his jars this morning and found the weed to be nearly wet and starting to smell a little off.

No shit!

He said he was going to put them back in the serving trays and just sit them in the tent to "air out." He obviously forgot that he has one of those multi-tiered mesh hangers that he can use (he's bought every gadget under the sun).

I told him to use that instead because the trays would not work with buds piled on top of buds. He was too happy! "Oh yeah. I forgot about that. It's perfect."

I hope for his sake it is.

Peace.

Jesus that is one stubborn fellow! Maybe reverse psychology for the next one, if you ever want to go through that again. :eek:

On the plus side, it grew well and turned out to be a great harvest...if he can make it through the dry!
The soil in the plants is compacted, making nutrient uptake a lot more difficult than it should be.
Compacted soil probably shows similar problems to root bound plants, so it's a good thought. It's probably too late now but if it happens again (or to anyone else), you could try @Derbybud's root coring technique.

Please chime in if it sounds flakier than a box of Kellogs
LOL! That made me wonder what that the pH of the soil was out of the bag. :hmmmm:

And when I heard that Kelloggs was on strike I first thought maybe it was because they fired the guy in charge of lime!

Jesus that is one stubborn fellow! Maybe reverse psychology for the next one, if you ever want to go through that again. :eek:
I'll be going through for as long as we're both doing this. He just needs to learn to be more patient! I know he will after he mucks up enough plants. :laughtwo:

Couldn't bring yourself to let his mold then. ;)
No way I would do that without at least trying to help.

Now, getting through my own thick head is another issue. I rely on you all to help me with that! :Rasta:

Hello growers.

I made it down to the 4x4 today so here's an update.

First, let me admit that I am less than enthusiastic about what's going on in the Fast tent. For the most part, the Fast ones have given me nothing but lackluster growth. At one time I was thinking it was the "Fast" part of them that was to blame. But @HashGirl blew that theory out of the water with her Fast Big Devils, which were some "big" devils! :Rasta:

So I can only look in the mirror for the cause.

Anyway, on with the update!

All of them are on day 74 and (I predict) all got their last top-feed of GF Bloom yesterday.

The Bubblegums are ready. Both are loaded with amber (about 40%). I'm pushing them to until they're about 75% just because I've never done it before with any plant and, I figure this is as good a time to try it as any other time. I figure how ever it hits me will be interesting. And I like to make bud cocktails using a strain or two, so I can always adjust it.

BB#1
Fast Bubblegum#1 10-8-21 Day74.jpg

BB#2
Fast Bubblegum#2 10-8-21 Day74.jpg

The Critical Poison is "critical." I'll give her that. She looks like some crap and I'm not sure why. She will be used for pain balm.
Fast Critical Poison 10-8-21 Day74.jpg

The Bruce Banner looks fairly decent, I guess.
Fast Bruce Banner 10-8-21 Day74.jpg

And finally, the sloppy CB clone! She recently had more bud sites on or near the tent floor than up near the light. In this pic is my somewhat pathetic attempt at a remedy. I used a milk crate to set a bunch of the buds on. The ones that wouldn't fit on the crate, I attempted to tie up using a trellis net. Unfortunately, I am not a man of invention! :laughtwo:
CB clone 10-8-21 pathetic trellis.jpg

Thank goodness that's it for this update. :Rasta:

And in this case, I really, really thank you for looking in!

Peace.

Hello growers.

I made it down to the 4x4 today so here's an update.

First, let me admit that I am less than enthusiastic about what's going on in the Fast tent. For the most part, the Fast ones have given me nothing but lackluster growth. At one time I was thinking it was the "Fast" part of them that was to blame. But @HashGirl blew that theory out of the water with her Fast Big Devils, which were some "big" devils! :Rasta:

So I can only look in the mirror for the cause.

Since you tagged me, GDP, I'm going to start following your journal. Now, that there aren't so many GSC journals to follow, I'm going to try to start following some journals of the 420 members that I like that I don't have much interaction with, like you. :battingeyelashes:

The Bubblegums are ready. Both are loaded with amber (about 40%). I'm pushing them to until they're about 75% just because I've never done it before with any plant and, I figure this is as good a time to try it as any other time. I figure how ever it hits me will be interesting. And I like to make bud cocktails using a strain or two, so I can always adjust it.
Great gardening GDB. I'll be really interested to hear what you reckon with about 75% amber, good to try these things to help find our best harvest windows, I have seen others who say they like higher amounts. I'll be looking out for your post cure thoughts! All the best.

Hello growers!

It's a lovely Saturday morning here in the Mid-Atlantic area. Slightly overcast, low 70s and a mild breeze! Perfect golfing weather. And my fav course is closed today for aeration of the greens. :straightface:

No matter, I have an update on the Freebie + 1 Grow!

It's day 32 for the youngsters and things are starting to happen. They got their first dose of @Prescription Blend Week3 three days ago on the 6th. I've been following the PB grow of @Virgin Ground, and was aware of the "possibility" of a mag deficiency at this stage. So on that first Week3 feed I mixed in some epsom salts (at half dosage: 1/2 tblsp per gallon).

I gave them another light watering today, this time using 1/4 tblsp of epsom. I think for now, that's gonna' be it for the epsom until I see what develops.

Lets start with the official runt of the tent, the Fast Banana. She has some sort of early leaf discoloration. It's going to have to be a little more pronounced for my old eyes to take a stab at what it might be. If you have any thoughts please weigh in.

If she starts acting out up she'll be skating on thin ice because "Fast" strains aren't sitting so well with me right now. :Rasta:
F Banana 10-9-21 Day32.JPG

F Banana#2 10-9-21 Day32.JPG

Next up the Alien Rock Candy. She's really gotten sturdier after a slow beginning but now her top leaves are curling. I think she might not like being the closet to the light. And, the temps in the 2x2 tent always run high in the summer, averaging about 85F. The only thing available to fix that is Autumn. So I moved the light up about 6 inches and now I need to get some books to go under all the other plants who were enjoying themselves under it where it was. :straightface:
ARC#2 10-9-21 Day32.JPG

She's pushing out growth at the node junctures now, waaay behind all the others.
ARC 10-9-21 Day32.jpg

Last for the @Prescription Blend feeders, the THC Bomb. She's doing her thing, getting ready to drop a few lower leaves in the near future. I will get started on her training when the smoke clears. :ganjamon:
THC Bomb 10-9-21 Day32.JPG

THC Bomb#2 10-9-21 Day32.JPG

On to the Original Glue in the Roots Organics Lush soil. She's growing well on just aged (at least 48 hours) tap water.
I started her @CarcassStick® training a few days back. I've had to double up on the sticks for the top node because a single stick kept getting pulled out of the medium. This Lush soil is so porous that it doesn't hold the sticks as firmly as typical soil does. I'll have to tie these down as they strengthen. (The Lush also retains moisture like nothing I've ever used before. It takes many days before any discernable difference in pot weight.)
OG 10-9-21 Day32.JPG

OG#2 10-9-21 Day32.JPG

That's a wrap for the Freebie + 1 update.

On to the @Weed Seeds Express Godfather OG clones.

I've trained myself to ignore the leaves and focus on the rock hard buds and that has made me a happy grower!
GOG clone (left) bud 10-9-21.JPG

GOG clone (right) bud 10-9-21.JPG

As always, thanks so much for looking in.

Peace.

Just ductape the dirt in, and lay that pot on it's side...easy-peasy :)
Huh? You've obviously never tried securing a fabric pot with duct tape. :laughtwo:
I'm going to try to start following some journals of the 420 members that I like that I don't have much interaction with, like you. :battingeyelashes:
Ooh La La, @HashGirl! Are you flirting with me? :)

You're welcome here anytime! :Rasta:
Great gardening GDB. I'll be really interested to hear what you reckon with about 75% amber, good to try these things to help find our best harvest windows, I have seen others who say they like higher amounts. I'll be looking out for your post cure thoughts! All the best.
Thanks @Stunger.

With any luck, I'll have no coherent thoughts after smoking it! :ganjamon:

If we all compare our grows to Otter's we would give up growing!
With that beast that Stone has grown, we could give it up for a awhile and just go hang out at his place! :woohoo:

That Lush plant is living up to its name! Happiest of the bunch. :thumb: I'm sure the others will get with the program eventually.

Obviously the scheduling was done by someone who gets Monday and Tuesday off. Who closes a golf course on the busiest day of the week?
The guys who run my course - Moe, Larry and Curly.

Back
Top Bottom