Grateful Bud's Backyard Outdoor Grow - SFV OG

For your plant sizes, the netting over the tomato cages is probably your best bet. It sounds like you had pretty good success last year. :goodluck:
Yeah I kinda had this plan in the back of my head, which is why I didn’t top all of them. I wanted them to fit under the netting. That’s my story and I’m sticking to it. LOL!

Without topping won't they outgrow the height of the nets?

There's a bug spray called bind torture kill?
I think they get too wide. And I’d need a pool donut or something sitting on top of the tomato cage to keep the netting off the colas. But yeah these girls are gonna get tall for sure. Already as tall as last years Wedding Cake. I may use netting on a few - definitely the two JH as they are short. Bonsai plants.

Btw the two Jack Herer look like they went back to veg. Not much pistils and lots of new leaves. The others look to be in preflower. Gonna be a long summer.

Last year I grew two Wedding Cake and one LA Pop Rocks. The two Wedding Cake did NOT like the heat. Anything over 92˚ and they threw a little hissy-fit. I gotta say these OG plants seem to be doing better with the heat. They looked only slightly droopy this am and when I lifted the pots they were all very light, so they got plain water. Was 97˚F again today and these ladies are still looking good this evening!

The two Jack Herer in the background don't seem to mind the heat either.

Still looking like preflower to me - kinda pistils kinda not.

Hello fellow growers!
Not much has been going on. Just watching grass grow. I put a few tomato cages on so I can place the netting. I’ve been kinda busy lately so it’s taking a while. Tweaking how I did it last year.
Note to self: place the tomato cages when the plants are still small.
I added a wire loop on top to keep netting off the colas.

The girls are looking healthy and happy for now.

Enjoy your day!

Hello fellow growers!
Not much has been going on. Just watching grass grow. I put a few tomato cages on so I can place the netting. I’ve been kinda busy lately so it’s taking a while. Tweaking how I did it last year.
Note to self: place the tomato cages when the plants are still small.
I added a wire loop on top to keep netting off the colas.

The girls are looking healthy and happy for now.

Enjoy your day!
They look great Grateful I can only imagine that struggle it was to put those cages in with the girls that big lol I struggled with just getting mine in one and she was small then haha

Can you make the nets out of shade cloth and kill two birds with one stone?
I thought about that. The insect netting does provide some shading. These plants seem to be doing much better with the heat. Especially the two Jacks - heat does not seem to bother them at all.

They look great.

I have found a few caterpillars in my grow during the warmer months but thankfully no real damage was done. I’d just pick the fat little bugger off and throw them in my garden.

Do you inspect them daily? I’m really finding maintaining a closer inspection of my girls is holding me in good stead.

They look great.

I have found a few caterpillars in my grow during the warmer months but thankfully no real damage was done. I’d just pick the fat little bugger off and throw them in my garden.

Do you inspect them daily? I’m really finding maintaining a closer inspection of my girls is holding me in good stead.
Hi Tra!

Yeah I inspect daily for pests. No caterpillars yet but I have found a bunch of tiny grasshoppers. Those little pricks can eat a lot in a short period of time. The weird thing is they seem to show up the day AFTER I spray Safer. Like I wash off the plant and it seems to attract them. Weird. I also get what looks like brown ladybugs - but they are not ladybugs at all. They are eucalyptus beetles and they eat the leaves.

I go out several times a day and shake the plants. I see several critters flying away when I do this - which is why I'm putting the netting on now. Once I have all plants netted I'll buy a container of beneficial ladybugs and place them on the plants under the netting (at night so they don't immediately try to escape). Last year I did this and several hung out all the way to harvest. They will help with the tiny bugs. The netting should keep the larger critters away.

That's my plan!

Grasshoppers can for sure mess things up in no time at all. One managed to get inside here last summer and found it's way to my clone cabinet. Honestly, wondered if one of my cousins did it as a joke... didn't want to ask and seem accusative but can't see it getting inside otherwise. Glad I found it when I did cuz it made a meal of my plants...

I'm kinda liking my modification to the Net Cage™

I had some thick metal wire so I measured a length to fit beyond the widest branches and bent the ends so it does not scrape the netting, then zip-tied it down to secure it in place. Yes I will remove the tags and clean it up a little but I'm experimenting right now. Lab coat and everything. Honest.

Hard to see but it actually works pretty good! Keeps the netting off the leaves / flowers. I. can move the plants around as needed. If it gets devils-balls hot - which it frequently gets in August - I move them under the patio in shade. Same if it gets really windy - which it does here. Very easy to remove the netting to water or inspect.

I like it. Will probably do the remaining plants as well.

That's gonna work like a charm!
Grate idea!..( See what I did there ..) :cheesygrinsmiley:

I gave all nutes today - CalMag + FFBB, FFGB, FF Open Sesame.
The 5 OG girls:

Dawn is definitely showing flower:

Julie JH:

Hey does this look like hermie to you?
Janice JH:

I'm seeing what looks like swollen calyxes on the two Jack Herer. A few weeks ago there was lots of pistils and looked like she was going into flower (about a month early). Then there was new leaf growth so I figured she went back into veg. Now I'm seeing odd flower growth - lots of frost leaves but no real buds or pistils. Like scraggly flowers but with balls.

I've never had one go hermie - what should I look out for?
@InTheShed @Carcass @StoneOtter @BeezLuiz - appreciate any advice.

Thanks for the tag, Grateful!

That does look a bit "funny" but it doesn't look like male parts to me...(could she be trying to re-veg?)
Male parts won't have any trichomes on 'em, so if you see trichomes, its girl stuff...

I've never had one hermie on me, but I know you'll just start finding male parts, probably a lot of them, on a previously female plant ...
Sometimes, toward the end of flower, you may see a few nanners popping out, but that's not a hermie- that's something they'll do as a last-ditch effort to make some seeds before they die- I've had that happen 3 or 4 times, and you don't need to worry about those- they usually appear too late to do any harm anyway..

But I don't think you need to worry, just give her some time to figure it out...

Thanks for the tag, Grateful!

That does look a bit "funny" but it doesn't look like male parts to me...(could she be trying to re-veg?)
Male parts won't have any trichomes on 'em, so if you see trichomes, its girl stuff...

I've never had one hermie on me, but I know you'll just start finding male parts, probably a lot of them, on a previously female plant ...
Sometimes, toward the end of flower, you may see a few nanners popping out, but that's not a hermie- that's something they'll do as a last-ditch effort to make some seeds before they die- I've had that happen 3 or 4 times, and you don't need to worry about those- they usually appear too late to do any harm anyway..

But I don't think you need to worry, just give her some time to figure it out...
Thanks Carcass! I appreciate your advice.
I'll keep an eye on em for now. My fingers got very sticky just moving a few leaves around to get pics. So lots of trichs.

Back
Top Bottom