Grateful Bud's Backyard Outdoor Grow - SFV OG

Thanks for the tag,GB!
Thrip poop will leave black dots on the leaves, but, you'll usually see thrips if that's the case...
This is from Google:
Black, varnish-like specks of excrement are a distinguishing feature of thrips activity. Feces may remain on leaves or fruit long after thrips have left. Thrips are poor fliers; damage may first appear in one location then slowly spread over the plant.

If it is thrip poop, I hope they were just passing through...
Interesting.
Ladybugs eat thrips!
Although I tried to rub a black dot off and it seems. more like inside the leaf rather than on it.

The second is Sunny. She is a Gorilla SFV OG.
She was first to really show flower - July 4th.
Looking good, however I may have a problem.

I'm seeing tiny black dots on her (and her sisters) leaves.
Could be worm poop - which I'd be surprised if they got thru the netting.
Or I could have a bunch of ladybugs shitting all over my plants.
Or ?

I'm a little concerned. Any thoughts?

@InTheShed @Carcass @Trala @Bill284 @Regrowth @HashGirl @StoneOtter

Please tell me it's not worm poop. Not seeing any bud damage or browning / drying flowers. Just black dots on ugly leaves. I did not spray citric spray on the SFV / OG girls.

Thanks!
Black dots are ringing a bell GB. My first outdoor plant got some that I never really identified. They were living creatures that appear and never move. I learned they were called galls. They never did anything but stay on the leaves. I plucked the leaves off some and left others. Maybe they're similar.
1661765438126.png

Black dots are ringing a bell GB. My first outdoor plant got some that I never really identified. They were living creatures that appear and never move. I learned they were called galls. They never did anything but stay on the leaves. I plucked the leaves off some and left others. Maybe they're similar.
1661765438126.png
Hi SO!
That looks similar. I’ll post a few pics I took this am. The black dots I see don’t rub off.

Here are a few pics of Sunny. I’m seeing black dots that don’t rub off. Also seeing nits. Dammit.

Note to self - stick with the plan!
Safer at least once every 4 days. bt at first sign of caterpillars or once per week just in case.
I went with just ladybugs ths past week thinking that could get me to the end.

Does anyone know what nits taste like when smoked?
Ask me in a month and I’ll tell you.

From that very first pic with the black dots you can see the leaves are being completely eaten by thrips or mites (I can never remember the difference in the spots). Whatever it is is sucking the life out of the leaves.

I would recommend spraying them before the sun is on them or it's hot out and completely saturating the plant with the Safers Insect Killing Soap spray, which will be tough because of how leafy they are. You have to hit the underside of every single leaf because it only kills on contact which means you will be pulling branches and flowers apart and doing most of the spraying upside down. This 1 gallon sprayer is the best tool for the job since it will spray at any angle and reach anywhere:

hdx-pump-sprayers-1501hdxa-64_1000.jpg

Once that dries you can hose rinse them off in the shade. Repeat that every 4 days for the next three weeks.

In terms of the yellowing after the citric acid spray, I've never seen that happen on any of my plants, and I use it on everything from unrooted cuttings to plants in full flower. Even if you sprayed at noon in the sun only a few leaves are doing the yellowing thing rather than all of them, so I'd say it's unrelated.

As long at your citric acid is 100% food grade citric acid with nothing added in because it's for plants rather than baking, it should be fine, though probably more expensive because of the fancy label.

From that very first pic with the black dots you can see the leaves are being completely eaten by thrips or mites (I can never remember the difference in the spots). Whatever it is is sucking the life out of the leaves.

I would recommend spraying them before the sun is on them or it's hot out and completely saturating the plant with the Safers Insect Killing Soap spray, which will be tough because of how leafy they are. You have to hit the underside of every single leaf because it only kills on contact which means you will be pulling branches and flowers apart and doing most of the spraying upside down. This 1 gallon sprayer is the best tool for the job since it will spray at any angle and reach anywhere:

hdx-pump-sprayers-1501hdxa-64_1000.jpg

Once that dries you can hose rinse them off in the shade. Repeat that every 4 days for the next three weeks.

In terms of the yellowing after the citric acid spray, I've never seen that happen on any of my plants, and I use it on everything from unrooted cuttings to plants in full flower. Even if you sprayed at noon in the sun only a few leaves are doing the yellowing thing rather than all of them, so I'd say it's unrelated.

As long at your citric acid is 100% food grade citric acid with nothing added in because it's for plants rather than baking, it should be fine, though probably more expensive because of the fancy label.
Hey Shed!
I appreciate your advice!
I have a similar sprayer. My dumbass thought no need to spray now that I have ladybugs. I had not seen any signs of mites for a few weeks.
I need to keep spraying.
Sorry ladybugs.

It takes 3 weeks of regular (every 3-4 days) of spraying to get rid of what's on your plants, and that's assuming that you're in a closed in environment!
Yep I was doing that regularly. Had not seen any mites so thought I could ride ladybugs to the finish.
Sigh.

If they're only on the badly eaten leaves I'd consider them part of the bug problem. And I never found H2O2 sprays to accomplish anything on my plants in terms of PM or bud rot.
Cool.
I’d rather not spray anything else at this point.
Man these buds look so fine - better than anything I’ve grown yet. Large chunky and thick. Sweet smelling too. Ok sweet like diabetic cat piss. I sure hope I can salvage these plants.

Appreciate your help!

Cool.
I’d rather not spray anything else at this point.
Man these buds look so fine - better than anything I’ve grown yet. Large chunky and thick. Sweet smelling too. Ok sweet like diabetic cat piss. I sure hope I can salvage these plants.

Appreciate your help!
I wouldn't spray either... I've had minimal luck trying to fix bug problems late late in flower... usually more hassle than what it is worth.
I would suggest investing in ionized water... a kangen machine. PH adjusted water is fine to spray late in flower comparatively to anything else. I use intervals of 2.5 ph water and 11.5ph water to treat bugs, pm, smoke damage (wildfire's in CA) etc...

Omg Scoobs!

I have done some research and it’s DEFINITELY monkey pox!

🙊🙊🙊

Lolling!

Omg these fucking plants are so stressful! You feed them, water them, love them, mollycoddle them and they are just constantly bringing us stress and anxiety! I have no idea how they survive in the wild! As you know I’m about to embark on a summer grow, and I’m so scared to once again start my War on Bugs 🐜 🐛 🦗

I hope it’s an easy fix.

I wouldn't spray either... I've had minimal luck trying to fix bug problems late late in flower... usually more hassle than what it is worth.
I would suggest investing in ionized water... a kangen machine. PH adjusted water is fine to spray late in flower comparatively to anything else. I use intervals of 2.5 ph water and 11.5ph water to treat bugs, pm, smoke damage (wildfire's in CA) etc...
Interesting!

I really wanted to finish without spraying. But if I have to so be it. I'll rinse the Safer spray off with hose water. I spray around 4pm when they are in the shade. Should dry off completely by dark (8pm). I'm thinking these plants have 3 more weeks to go. But every time I say that I see a bunch more new pistils, so who knows? I may end up harvesting mid October at this rate.

Back
Top Bottom