Grateful Bud's Backyard Outdoor Grow - SFV OG

Question:
I do not have enough jars to cure and burp properly.
I am debating whether to buy more jars (gallon wide mouth), or Grove Bags (damn expensive), or just use simple oven turkey bags for my upcoming cure. I'm guessing 4-5 oz per plant more or less. I currently only have enough containers for about 14oz. I may end up with more than that (if all goes well).

1664477510775.png

Any thoughts?

I'm thinking I got another week or two at least before I chop the first 2 plants. Getting my supplies ready.
I'll do a 4 bucket wash (wet trim after first bucket), hang for a few hours, then dry low and slow in paper bags in the outdoor fridge (for hopefully more than 15 days). Then into cure jars / bags.

Grove bags aren't that expensive when you consider the fact you can reuse them.
That's the route I went with my last harvest and just grabbed some QP bags.
Our local grow shop sells them individually for a few bucks a piece.

But be careful not to bag too early and / or be ready to burp for a few weeks like you would normally do with jars.
I had a bag go moldy on me from bagging too early and it's a kick in the pants to lose a plants worth of bud all at once.
I dried it out and the mold stopped spreading but the terpene profile never recovered.
It's been in the freezer since. I don't know if it's salvageable or not...
I thought maybe edibles but know some people would advise against it.

Even the bags I filled at lower rh and burped properly for a few weeks had a few buds with a touch of mold.
I mean, just a white spot here and there, so really minimal in comparison and you really need to know what you're looking for to notice it. But just a heads up not to rely too heavy on the claim of no burping needed. I'd still recommend them or turkey bags as a way to get away from having to burp a million jars and if you're careful you won't have the issues I had.

Grove bags aren't that expensive when you consider the fact you can reuse them.
That's the route I went with my last harvest and just grabbed some QP bags.
Our local grow shop sells them individually for a few bucks a piece.

But be careful not to bag too early and / or be ready to burp for a few weeks like you would normally do with jars.
I had a bag go moldy on me from bagging too early and it's a kick in the pants to lose a plants worth of bud all at once.
I dried it out and the mold stopped spreading but the terpene profile never recovered.
It's been in the freezer since. I don't know if it's salvageable or not...
I thought maybe edibles but know some people would advise against it.

Even the bags I filled at lower rh and burped properly for a few weeks had a few buds with a touch of mold.
I mean, just a white spot here and there, so really minimal in comparison and you really need to know what you're looking for to notice it. But just a heads up not to rely too heavy on the claim of no burping needed. I'd still recommend them or turkey bags as a way to get away from having to burp a million jars and if you're careful you won't have the issues I had.
Thanks Regrowth!

I've been researching this site and the net to see what my options are. I also have a bunch of plastic containers with screw on lids. May not be fully air tight tho. I'm leaning towards turkey bags but will see.

Question:
I do not have enough jars to cure and burp properly.
I am debating whether to buy more jars (gallon wide mouth), or Grove Bags (damn expensive), or just use simple oven turkey bags for my upcoming cure. I'm guessing 4-5 oz per plant more or less. I currently only have enough containers for about 14oz. I may end up with more than that (if all goes well).

Any thoughts?

I'm thinking I got another week or two at least before I chop the first 2 plants. Getting my supplies ready.
I'll do a 4 bucket wash (wet trim after first bucket), hang for a few hours, then dry low and slow in paper bags in the outdoor fridge (for hopefully more than 15 days). Then into cure jars / bags.

If you are shooting for a good cure quality... I would suggest not wet trimming, even if dipping. Just do a few whips of the branch in the air to get excess moisture out. Cutting down the sugar leaves at all during or before the drying process disturbs the plants natural movement of all the things that make the smell, taste, and color groovy. I even keep on water leaves, at it is a natural protector of the trichomes during the wash and dry. keeps dust and particles off the beautiful buds that way when you are ready to trim and jar, underneath those water leaves are super clean frosty buds. A lot of the taste and smell preservation comes out of what you do after harvest.
I try to dry around 60-60 degrees at 45-60% humidity. almost 2 weeks. I run fans hard for the first 3-5 days and that's it. Afterwards, in my situation, the dehums and AC's create enough air movement.
I use turkey bags for production, jars for personal. Jars are the way to go, a few half gallons. They hold stable temperatures and moisture levels better than Turkey bags do.

Isn't it a good feeling getting so close to chopping time? Wishing you a great harvest, Grateful.

If you are shooting for a good cure quality... I would suggest not wet trimming, even if dipping. Just do a few whips of the branch in the air to get excess moisture out. Cutting down the sugar leaves at all during or before the drying process disturbs the plants natural movement of all the things that make the smell, taste, and color groovy. I even keep on water leaves, at it is a natural protector of the trichomes during the wash and dry. keeps dust and particles off the beautiful buds that way when you are ready to trim and jar, underneath those water leaves are super clean frosty buds. A lot of the taste and smell preservation comes out of what you after harvest.
I try to dry around 60-60 degrees at 45-60% humidity. Thanksalmost 2 weeks. I run fans hard for the first 3-5 days and that's it. Afterwards, in my situation, the dehums and AC's create enough air movement.
I use turkey bags for production, jars for personal. Jars are the way to go, a few half gallons. They hold stable temperatures and moisture levels better than Turkey bags do.

Isn't it a good feeling getting so close to chopping time? Wishing you a great harvest, Grateful.
Thanks for your comments - I'd been thinking some Glad boxes (kept in a cool, dark cellar) but my first harvest (auto period) I'm not expecting to be overly large, either mass, or size of bud. Clearly, monster colas like he's showing will need a larger solution.. Turkey bags, burped, seems like a good option (to one who has NO clue!)

Gave filtered water with CalMag to all today.

I defoliated the dead leaves off of Julie and Janice, then sprayed both with Safer™. Hose wash about 30 mins later. Getting frustrated with these two. All of them to be honest. Next year if I act like I'm going to grow more than 3-4 plants someone punch me. Not sure how Bill does it.

Anyway . . .

The OG ladies look good except for a few scraggly leaves. Gonna spray Safer again in a day or two.
Hope you are having a great Tuesday (or whatever it is on your planet)!
Those are some chunky leafy girls! I can see why you would want to pre-de-leaf.
Thanks for your comments - I'd been thinking some Glad boxes (kept in a cool, dark cellar) but my first harvest (auto period) I'm not expecting to be overly large, either mass, or size of bud. Clearly, monster colas like he's showing will need a larger solution.. Turkey bags, burped, seems like a good option (to one who has NO clue!)
no problem.

Yea, if one didn't want to break the cola down a different container would be more suitable, that's logical.. good point. maybe a turkey bag would be easier in that case?

My personal smoke, I do what we call 'Farm Cut' in Humboldt. Just remove the water leaves after drying, keep majority of sugar leaf and keep buds on branches... minimal breakdown of the plant, but enough to work with storage containers. hand trim off the sugar leaf right before smoking.

What's your wash process like, @Mycelium Farmer.
I don't wash. One year we had to wash 1500 lbs (after drying and trimming) of weed. The whole crop was smoked out for months from the August Complex fire in 2020. We tried a lot of different methods. It came down to the most efficient and practical for the scale we were doing was soaking a tote full of branches into a peroxide solution for 30-45 seconds. Then removing from soak, doing an air whip of each branch and placing in another tote of clean water, then same process with an additional tote of clean water.
A lot of people up here washed their weed that year. A lot of new teks were tried and tested. People had a lot of success with lemon and baking soda too. Some people browned all their weed by not washing out peroxide enough. Some people dipped and washed and had no change in smell. Some people experience losing the whole nose of the bud trying to get the smoke smell out. It was rough for everyone.
If we ran into this situation again, we would simply use kangen water now. Probably would just do heavy sprays before harvest and only dip if I really felt it was necessary. But can dip in the 2.5 and then 11.5 kangen water... or just the 11.5 is really effective for smoke and pm removal.

too top it all off we were experiencing a really dry year, and after the fires and even during the fires I was having to use our old 4,000 gallons water tender, Orange thunder, to deliver water to the farm to even have enough to wash the crops, aside from having enough water to finish them out and still shower after work.

Got to give you credit. That's a lot of weed to process lol.
And that kangen water sounds awesome, it seems like it's pretty much an all in 1 solution to most issues.
I remember hearing about the fires... know it messed a lot of grows up. Glad you got through it.

If you are shooting for a good cure quality... I would suggest not wet trimming, even if dipping. Just do a few whips of the branch in the air to get excess moisture out. Cutting down the sugar leaves at all during or before the drying process disturbs the plants natural movement of all the things that make the smell, taste, and color groovy. I even keep on water leaves, at it is a natural protector of the trichomes during the wash and dry. keeps dust and particles off the beautiful buds that way when you are ready to trim and jar, underneath those water leaves are super clean frosty buds. A lot of the taste and smell preservation comes out of what you do after harvest.
I try to dry around 60-60 degrees at 45-60% humidity. almost 2 weeks. I run fans hard for the first 3-5 days and that's it. Afterwards, in my situation, the dehums and AC's create enough air movement.

Thanks MF!

Last two grows I washed and wet trimmed - quite a bit - before placing in paper bags to go in the fridge. Seems to me they could have cured better. Not much skunky smell. Still a bit grassy. I was thinking of leaving on a lot more sugar leaves this time. You have convinced me - thanks!

Appreciate your advice!

If I can get all of these plants to the finish line I will have plenty to experiment with. I may take one plant and not wash at all - just place in paper bags in the fridge. Leave lots of sugar leaves on and trim after they are dry.

One year I had lots of ash from a nearby fire. Washing was definitely the way to go for that harvest.

If I can get all of these plants to the finish line I will have plenty to experiment with. I may take one plant and not wash at all - just place in paper bags in the fridge. Leave lots of sugar leaves on and trim after they are dry.

One year I had lots of ash from a nearby fire. Washing was definitely the way to go for that harvest.
A paper bag in the fridge? I missed something in class last week. Are you processing herb for concentrate? What's the idea behind the fridge tek?

A paper bag in the fridge? I missed something in class last week. Are you processing herb for concentrate? What's the idea behind the fridge tek?
So for us small timers we’ve discovered a low and slow refrigerator dry process. In my case I cannot hang dry inside the house (wife HATES the smell). It’s way too hot outside or in the garage. Drying in the fridge works great for me!

This thread has lots of details.

From what I’ve read I think these are the ideal conditions to dry cannabis - 60F at 60% humidity with a fan blowing a slight breeze. I wish I had a room with these controlled conditions.

I’m so proud you take bowel health seriously!

Go you super pooper!
LMAO!
I've had stomach / digestive issues for years. Even before I started toking again. Cannabis helps with that and the migraines. The fiber powder keeps the trains running on time. LOL!

LMAO!
I've had stomach / digestive issues for years. Even before I started toking again. Cannabis helps with that and the migraines. The fiber powder keeps the trains running on time. LOL!
Hey GB :ciao: sorry about your issues, may I make a suggestion?
I've had digestive issues for years as well, with no diagnosis from doctors.
It was feken hell, then I started using RSO.
Lots at first, but I'm on a maintenance dose once a day now.
Changed my life completely.
I go like a normal human now, not 30 x a day.
Many health benefits to it.
I also take CBD daily so that might help you too.
Rick Simpson Oil, R.S.O. check it out I think it would help. :thumb:
Have a great weekend Amigo.

Stay safe
Bill284 :cool:

Unfortunately the San Fernando Valley wasn't in the list of places to go!

Any thoughts?
I would go with the turkey bags for burping and then drop them in an airtight bucket for curing.

I recommend you wash everything you harvest. There are still bugs (dead and alive) along with all the remaining residue left from spraying. Not to mention all the dust and pollen.

Also, washing is step one for low and slow.

And I wet trim all my harvests. I want to go through each flower before they're hung dry to check for anything that might ruin the harvest while they hang, like pests or rot.

Trimmed sugar leaves can get turned into dry ice hash or edibles.

Back
Top Bottom