Grateful Bud's Backyard Outdoor Grow - SFV OG

Oh that’s cool I’m assuming the thickness will make it so the cold doesn’t completely penetrate giving it a nice medium temperature for curing?
I think it's more about being air tight. A jar is the best way to cure (I think) but it's a hassle burping 15 jars. If I put 5-6 oz in each bag it's much easier to burp.

Place washed lightly trimmed buds (~120 grams per bag) into paper bags in the fridge for about two weeks or so. Then when the outer frost leaves get crunchy I'll move some to a jar for several hours to check RH. If over 68% they go back into the paper bags. If under 68% they go into the turkey bags for twice daily burp. After 2 days go to once daily burp, then once every 3-4 days. After 3-4 weeks move to gallon mason jars.
Low and slow was designed to preserve terpenes, so burping isn't part of that process in it's ideal form. Once your buds are down in the mid to high 60s, they go in jars with rice balls (link in my sig) to quickly lower the RH in a sealed jar. Then they're ready for the cure.

Burping will lower the RH as well but it allows the terpenes to off-gas while you do it, making the 2 weeks in the fridge less useful.

Burping will lower the RH as well but it allows the terpenes to off-gas while you do it, making the 2 weeks in the fridge less useful.
I think my challenge is how to preserve the terpenes while off-gassing the the grassy flavors. I may place more content in the bags this time to try to slow the fridge dry.

Previous attempts turned out just ok, not great. Last year it went around 14 days in the fridge.
Still seeking the 'OMG this smells great!' jar smell after cure.

Maybe longer in the fridge would help?
That's what I'm trying to accomplish - more time in the fridge.
Last year I think I was putting 90-100 grams wet (after wash and 3 hour hang dry) in each paper bag. This year I'll up that to maybe 120-130, and not open to take a peak as much.

Isn't it 28g/bag in the instructions?
I thought it was what will eventually be around 28g (after dried).
Oh fer farts sake! Don't tell me I've been doing this wrong too?!?
LOL!

Seriously I've been putting close to 100g in each paper bag. After 14 days it's about 28g.

Hotter than hell here today - 110˚F with very little breeze. RH 17%
I soaked all the plants yesterday, and today all pots were still heavy so I did not water. That may be a mistake as I think they do better with water every day, just not a whole lot.

I dried some larf on a plate in the fridge this spring but I only got a few days of drying before having to jar it.
I guess that's the reason for the bags? To slow it down a bit?
It worked well though I'll probably give it another try this winter.

Hotter than hell here today - 110˚F with very little breeze. RH 17%
I soaked all the plants yesterday, and today all pots were still heavy so I did not water. That may be a mistake as I think they do better with water every day, just not a whole lot.

I thought that was dependent on the size of the bag? I use large paper grocery bags. If you use smaller lunch bags you use less. Yes?
I think the main reasoning for the 1oz/lunch bag guideline is to reduce the risk if mold. If you haven't gotten mold on your buds using your method, then what you're doing is probably fine. 14 days in the fridge is about how long it takes for my buds as well.

That's true! But I think bigger bags with more bud is less effective because there's a lot more moisture in a big bag.

Try sandwich bags, or cut the big bags down to size.
I may experiment a little more this harvest. I'll use a few smaller bags, a few larger grocery bags with less, and maybe a few with more.
I'm gonna have more weed than I know what to do with. Seriously.

Man, I can not WAIT until I get a grocery sack of bud..
as opposed to 10 3gr nuggss...
Hi Pete!
Last year I ended up with about 13oz from 3 plants. With a little effort and lots of patience you can easily get 3-4 oz from a plant. Good luck man!

Back
Top Bottom