Grateful Bud's Backyard Outdoor Grow - SFV OG

Damn it's a season of rot. :eek:

Let that be the end of it!

I sure hope so.

I lost an ounce or so from my Auto yesterday.
The whole top cola, gone.
And a few others.
Hope my SNS kicks in soon.
Sorry about the damage my friend.
Hope you had a nice weekend.
Take care.

Stay safe
Bill284 :cool:

The risk of growing outdoors I guess. More pests and more problems.

But nominally bigger yields?
Appreciate your concerns, no signs of the fuzzy shit yet, thankfully!
Most people get bigger yields outdoors. I intentionally keep my plants a little smaller, more manageable because of my experience with pests. There are several growers here that are absolutely killing it indoors. Good to hear you have no rot. I’m watching my girls very close now.

Current plan is to harvest Sunny and Dawn Friday morning. I think those two are ready. Not drinking as much, no new pistils in the past 2 weeks. Red hairs are curling down towards the swollen calyxes.

Inspected both and not seeing any new rot or damage. Knock wood.
I have not been bothering with trichome pics as outdoors the heat will turn them Amber and fool you into thinking they are done.

Looks like there's some meat on those bones!
Indeed. Still bummed about losing the top colas. My mistake. Sunny was impressive. I may still end up with 3 or 4oz from each. Will see.

Oh man Sunny smells very much like pine. No cat piss detected. She smells just like the OG my buddy bought at a dispensary recently.

I may still end up with 3 or 4oz from each. Will see.
Even with the missing colas, those will be some productive girls!
Those look like some very solid buds, too- gonna be a lot of weight there...
Fingers crossed for no more rot before harvest time!...🤞

Even with the missing colas, those will be some productive girls!
Those look like some very solid buds, too- gonna be a lot of weight there...
Fingers crossed for no more rot before harvest time!...🤞
Thanks Carcass!
I'm doing a silly dance as we speak to try and ward off the rot. Hope it works.

Sounds like a solution d lan Scoobs.

Even without the top Coca-Cola’s your jars will be full :)
Thanks Tra!

I should have several full jars in a few weeks if all goes well. I just need to crack the fridge dry method so the terpene aroma comes back. I think my mistake last time was not burping the jars long enough to let the grassy odors escape. I'll try to jar (actually turkey bag) when the buds are around 65% RH, then burp for about 30 mins twice per day first few days, then once per day for 30 mins next 7 days. That should allow the grassiness to go away and the skunky-piney aroma to come thru. If they end up drying to 58% RH that should be fine as long as it tastes good.

Sounds like a solution d lan Scoobs.

Even without the top Coca-Cola’s your jars will be full :)
Omg what are those random extra letters in my reply?!

Did I have a mini stroke mid way?

Wtf happened?

Omg I have zero idea how you guys understand a word I fucking say!

Are you doing low and slow and turkey bags?
Yes that was my plan.
Low and slow in paper bags in the fridge for about 10-15 days or whenever they get under 68% RH.
Then I'll dump several paper bags into one turkey bag for the cure (burping as above).
Then into jars with Boveda packs for storage.

Yes that was my plan.
Low and slow in paper bags in the fridge for about 10-15 days or whenever they get under 68% RH.
Then I'll dump several paper bags into one turkey bag for the cure (burping as above).
Then into jars with Boveda packs for storage.
I have to ask: are you doing low and slow because you don't want them to overdry in the SFV heat? Otherwise burping completely negates the idea behind low and slow.

I have to ask: are you doing low and slow because you don't want them to overdry in the SFV heat? Otherwise burping completely negates the idea behind low and slow.
Say what now?
I thought you still needed to burp after drying low and slow.

And yeah I cannot dry inside the house, and outside it is hotter than hell. Although next week will be nice - mid 80's.

Say what now?
I thought you still needed to burp after drying low and slow.
Not at all. The point of low and slow from the outset was terpene retention, and a side effect of burping is terpenes flying away.

Rice balls (link in my sig) is the preferred method of quickly lowering the RH in the flowers once they come out of the bags and go into jars. You want as little air exchange as possible in low and slow.

You can read Sue's posts on it here as well:
* At 2 weeks stabilize with rice balls and jar up
My harvests most often take 2-3 weeks, in bags, and I most often pulled them at two weeks and used rice balls to get them quickly to 62-65%.

Not at all. The point of low and slow from the outset was terpene retention, and a side effect of burping is terpenes flying away.

Rice balls (link in my sig) is the preferred method of quickly lowering the RH in the flowers once they come out of the bags and go into jars. You want as little air exchange as possible in low and slow.

You can read Sue's posts on it here as well:
Well sonofabitch. No burp.
How could I miss that one?

I've done low and slow several times now and never got the nice terpene aroma to stick around. I burped for a few mins once per day for 4-5 days, then maybe once every other day but for no more than 5 mins each time unless I was trying to reduce RH.

Rethinking my whole process now. Thnx

It's a long thread and most of the original folks have left, so the process kinda got diluted over the time and became just about the fridge part and not about the reason behind it. No one goes back to read the first few pages!
I read that whole thread 2 years ago. I took a ton of notes. I even summarized my notes and posted that. I mentioned burping afterwards and several posters said they used a similar process. I don't recall seeing "no need to burp" *slaps forehead* but I recall someone said they move buds to Grove bags and don't burp them. I think that is Grove bag specific tho? I'm reviewing that thread again to gleen useful nuggets. I'm determined to produce higher quality stinky buds using low and slow.

Back
Top Bottom