Grateful Bud's Backyard Outdoor Grow - SFV OG

So I checked trichomes with a magnifier this morning and I'm seeing mostly white cloudy - very few amber. Kinda surprised me. I was going to chop two plants tomorrow but after viewing the trichs I though I'd wait a few more days. That may have. been a mistake.

Last week I chopped off quite a bit of rot infected buds - but I also was able to salvage a few nuggets. I put those nuggets in a paper bag in the fridge for 7 days. Yesterday I removed them and placed into jars to see if they would cure into something tasty. Right now they still smell grassy. Probably dried too fast and won't amount to much.

But.

I smoked 2 bong hits of it about 90 minutes ago, and I gotta say I like it. It did not hit hard at all - no head rush or anything sudden, it just kinda crept up on me. Not heavy, uplifting in a way but you know you are stoned.

My problem is this was cut off a week ago. This morning I fed nutes because it was past time and thought I wasn't going to chop - trichomes were hardly any amber. I think I can go another week or so maybe.

But after chilling out for the past 90 minutes my mind has wandered into "chop it" territory. Would it be bad if I harvested one plant tomorrow - a day after giving nutes? Or should I wait 2-3 days of just water?

Yeah I may have goofed.

Preharvest flushing is a myth. I wouldn't worry about feeding plain water unless you're doing it to save nutrients.
I feed right up until the chop and the buds are always great after being cured properly. None of that sparkle and pop bs that people love to reference and there's no discernable difference. If you're liking the buzz she's giving you then I'd say there's no harm taking her early. She'll amber a bit more during the cure process.

Preharvest flushing is a myth. I wouldn't worry about feeding plain water unless you're doing it to save nutrients.
I feed right up until the chop and the buds are always great after being cured properly. None of that sparkle and pop bs that people love to reference and there's no discernable difference. If you're liking the buzz she's giving you then I'd say there's no harm taking her early. She'll amber a bit more during the cure process.
I think you are correct - I've read others say no real need to flush before harvest. This rot has got me nervous.
I know that outdoors you cannot always go off of the amber trichs, especially in the heat we've had the past week - over 100˚. I'm happy with the early smoke test tho. Very pleasant effect. The early tester buds taste like crap but that should change if I cure it right.

I think I'd go for the slightly early harvest- bud rot is scary stuff...
If you're happy with the smoke, close enough!

I think I'd go for the slightly early harvest- bud rot is scary stuff...
If you're happy with the smoke, close enough!
I’m with ya.
I like more amber but I gotta get some buds in the jar. The taster bud surprised me a little. I’ll probably chop one or two tomorrow then go from there.

But after chilling out for the past 90 minutes my mind has wandered into "chop it" territory. Would it be bad if I harvested one plant tomorrow - a day after giving nutes? Or should I wait 2-3 days of just water?
Like the rest have said there's no reason for plain water. I just nuted my Trainwreck and it's coming down Sunday when my trimming crew will be available!

Like the rest have said there's no reason for plain water. I just nuted my Trainwreck and it's coming down Sunday when my trimming crew will be available!
I"m all set to start choppin' tomorrow am.

GET TO THE CHOPPIN'!
- Dutch

Dawn got chopped today.
A few pics:

Here is what I got hanging - looks to be about 3-4oz maybe.

I did a 4 bucket wash.
Bucket 1 = one gallon 3% hydrogen peroxide plus 4 gallons hose water.
Bucket 2 = 5 gallons water plus half cup baking soda plus half cup concentrated lemon juice.
Buckets 3 and 4 = 5 gallons hose water.

I dipped each cola into a bucket and swirled around for about 30 seconds. Dip and swish, dip and swish. Then next bucket. Last two buckets were plain water to rinse, then hang on a string for a few hours.

I then trimmed the colas down to nice sized smaller buds and placed about 120 grams into each bag. 475 grams total. That may end up being close to 4oz when it's all dried.

If I get that far. . . .

I did not see any caterpillars or other crawling bugs. Minimal rot which is good - I trashed a few nice buds but that was it. But - as I'm chopping I see several of these little buggers attached to stems.

I thought it was poop but no it's harder. A few looked old and dry, while others appeared to be wet but still hard. While chopping I ignored them but cut them out and discarded the whole stem.

When I was done I picked one off of a stem (off a washed cola) and it appeared to be dry inside or dead. A little white haze left on the stem. To my horror I looked at it under a scope - it was moving.

Looking a lot like tiny mites to me.

WTH is this thing?

Do I just trash this harvest or leave it in the fridge to dry and hope any remaining critters die from the cold ?
It's about 40˚F inside the fridge.

Always friggin' something.

Here I was about to congratulate you on the harvest when BOOM you hit me with who knows what? Are the tan things what you're talking about? The white things? I've never seen anything like that here and would want them dead.

Is that the only place you found it? I'd cut it off and start by spraying it with undiluted 3% H2O2 and see if that kills them. If not, try some Safers after the peroxide dries.

Here I was about to congratulate you on the harvest when BOOM you hit me with who knows what? Are the tan things what you're talking about? The white things? I've never seen anything like that here and would want them dead.

Is that the only place you found it? I'd cut it off and start by spraying it with undiluted 3% H2O2 and see if that kills them. If not, try some Safers after the peroxide dries.
The little brown dots appear to be mites. The fuzzy white is visible but you need a scope to see them. I just checked a few others that look older / drier and it seems like they fly? I swear a few flew away when I broke off the hard part from a stem. Heck I have no idea what these aliens are. Whitefly larva?

They only survived the peroxide wash because they were protected.

BRB gonna call FEMA for the hazmat team. :rofl: :laugh::laughtwo:

I was planning on chopping at least TWO plants today. This one plant took me almost all day to chop, trim, wash, hang, trim into smaller buds, then place into paper bags. All freakin day!

The others are gonna hafta wait. I gotta figure out how to eliminate this new pest. Fire maybe? Radiation?

Back
Top Bottom