Harvestright freeze dryer for weed? Done and cured in a day!

I recently received a small batch of Amnesia Auto a friend processed for me.

He used the lowest drying temp of 45 degrees.

44g wet in, 11g out. This small a batch only took 12 hours. The other 130g took just over 24 hours to process.

Straight out of the machine the buds will crumble into something similar to what you get from grinding, If you are careful !

The smell was completely preserved with NO loss and the colors and size remained like that of the fresh wet buds.

Smoke is smooth. I think I have a good handle on drying/curing but these buds are significantly smoother in a bong.

I decided to rehydrate (just for ease of handling) by placed them in a container with a small bud from my low and slow dry in the frig.

The next morning they were @ 60% so into a mason jar they went for long(ish) term storage.
003 D.jpg

006 D.jpg

Cheers

Forgot to mention...

I wasn't able to get over to my friends place for a few days so I placed the buds in a single layer in a plastic container and put it in the freezer. A couple of hours later I gave the container a gentle shake to loosen the buds from the container.

That way he didn't have to defrost them to separate them before putting them into the machine...

Cheers

Congrats on the purchase from a fellow medium size owner. I think the dry time varies from situation to situation but I’m usually between 12.5-14.5 daytime. The biggest issue I have is that if my tent grow has no issues, I don’t wash my buds. All my outside plants get the wash but depending on how big/dense the top cola are, I’m going longer dry time. I also think 55f is my sweet spot, as the 40f setting didn’t seem to cure the weed as well as the 55f temp. The weed I did at 40f was my Golden Tiger, but has cured nicely in the jar a week or 2 later (psst. . . I’m on it right now) I dump my buds into a paper bag and leave in my basement overnight (12-16hrs) and jar. The last 2 harvests I did, I took my fingers around the dryer outer ring too collect some water and brushed it around the outside of the paper bag. I find this method very useful in regaining moisture too the bud, as I’m not soaking the bag, just sort of misting. (Do-Si-Dos and Golden Tiger below)
6E427B6A-11C9-44ED-BE0B-FC0AFD9214FD.jpeg
F8E872B1-3AED-4A3B-88A1-A45978605F8B.jpeg

What would you recommend if a batch was run in the freeze dryer and it comes out too wet?

Dry the rest of the way on racks in a normal air dry room?

Run again somehow in the freeze dryer?

Thanks!

I’ve had a few times where my bigger nuggs hadn’t completely dried on the inside. I throw them in paper bag for 2-3 days and jar. Check them a day or 2 later because sometimes they will need another day in the bag before jarring again.

Hey guys. I can only find a few guys online who have had access to the right equipment to try this and those few who do have said that freeze drying their bud is not only done in a day but preserves and makes the terpenes just crazy strong. They say that not only that but the bud breaks up perfectly, retains it's fresh cut colors and is the only way to go. The articles I can find are several years old.

Now, I do own a $3200 freeze dryer and love what it does to my food. I make MRE's from left overs several times a week.
Has any of you ever done this with a good freeze dryer??? I'm getting ready for a large harvest in a few weeks and am thinking of putting a few ounces in there to try. I'm curious if any of you have actually done this yourself? I would love your input.
I know
Ed Rosenthal recomends freeze drying.

420-magazine-mobile1226962834.jpg

hello my name is Thierry, I am French I am looking for data on freeze-drying settings. I froze the live flowers with dry ice. I will do a test soon, do you have any advice on the numbers to respect. I take any advice from anyone who knows the process. Thanks in advance

hello my name is Thierry, I am French I am looking for data on freeze-drying settings. I froze the live flowers with dry ice. I will do a test soon, do you have any advice on the numbers to respect. I take any advice from anyone who knows the process. Thanks in advance

I have a medium size harvest right and have found that 55f is the tray temp setting that works best for the process. Time wise it all depends on the bud density, size and amount being dried on the trays. I will adjust my final dry time by a few hours and I’m usually on average between 12.5-16hrs for everything. If you have more questions, feel free to ask.

J'ai une récolte de taille moyenne et j'ai trouvé que 55f est le réglage de température du plateau qui convient le mieux au processus. En ce qui concerne le temps, tout dépend de la densité, de la taille et de la quantité de têtes séchées sur les plateaux. Je vais ajuster mon temps de séchage final de quelques heures et je suis généralement en moyenne entre 12,5 et 16 heures pour tout. Si vous avez plus de questions, n'hésitez pas à demander.
Thank you

EhCndGrower-
Just purchased unit and was looking for some advice to help my upcoming harvest.

congrats on the purchase. Pretty much what I posted a few post back is what I would repeat here. If you have a full 4 racks of tightly packed buds, go the longer time. If the trays are pretty well spaced for your buds, go lower with your time. Better circulation and not as much moisture for the FD to work against.

Thanks for the feedback really appreciate it. I do have a few questions but will not hit you all at once with them.
My question for the day- When you finish a batch frozen and cured. Would you need to place product out to thaw if you wanted to use it after process?

Thanks for the feedback really appreciate it. I do have a few questions but will not hit you all at once with them.
My question for the day- When you finish a batch frozen and cured. Would you need to place product out to thaw if you wanted to use it after process?

I usually will dump them into a paper bag and regain some moisture. I try for at least 6hrs, have gone 24hrs in the bag and then into a mason jar with boveda/integra pack. No need to burp.

Back
Top Bottom