Help please - Last couple of weeks & finishing off

Jimboswood

Hi
Wondering if anyone can help with a definitive answer ... I've searched a few times and am getting mixed messages.

I'm growing a Northern Lights Auto in Coco ... all-in she's about 11/12 weeks, and six and a half weeks from start of flowering. She's advertised as a 10 week finish.

I scoped her up, everything had gone cloudy and the first few amber trics had started to appear (1-2% maybe). So I thought time for a flush and just feed her with plain Ph'd water.

The next day, a few bumps had started to appear, I thought maybe the start of foxtails, and left her for a day; then had a proper look ... and happy to say it was the calyxes swelling. Not a good picture, but the bud in the foreground, lump on the RHS is the beginning of the swelling

Question is: do I go ahead with the flush and just feed her water from now on - or carry on with current feeding schedule until the swelling's finished, and then flush ... or flush and feed with water & molasses?

:thanks:
IMG_055752.JPG

re: Help please - Last couple of weeks & finishing off

Just go a head and flush. Depending on what you want with trics, you can flush up to 2 weeks without problem.

Thanks AngryBird
I was concerned she might run out of nutes before the end, hampering growth.
She'll definitely be done in two weeks ....
I'll get flushing shortly ...
Cheers
Jimbo

At the end of flower, you want the plants to consume stored nutrients, this gives the clean burn that you're looking for. If you feed them too long/too much, no matter how good the plant looks/cures it'll still burn & taste like . in the end. NL can go as long as 70 days but judging from that picture I think 14 days from now, about day 60 by your count, will be about exactly right. So yeah, flush away with ph 6.0-6.2 water and the first time you do it DTW (drain to waste, i.e. Feed through) if possible and don't sweat the yellowing that'll occur that's just the plant converting stored energy to flowers-which in turn gives you smooooth smoking goodness! Nice run man! ..

Sent from my iPad using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Thanks !

Started flushing a few days ago ... am on two autopot systems and growing 8 different plants (each a diff strain) in a 4 x 2. So picked the four most ready and now four days into pure water.

Happy to report swelling's still going ahead on the four plain water and molasses. The Northern Lights Autos are noticeably bigger ... like green warts popping up (probably on about 50% of the flower so far) ... I had to finish my previous grow early, so missed out on this calyx development.

The other four are getting standard nutes as they're less ready ... two of them still have mostly white hairs (Critical and Critical Kush - wish I knew which was which as one of them has some crazy bud development - buds which are right at the bottom of the plant and have come off spindly side shoots are six inches long, about 75% of the size of the main colas .... and lots of them. Better get some more yoyos!).

I damaged two of the colas when I was moving the plants :( ... and couldn't be arsed to tape them, splint them and didn't have the spare yo-yos to support them ... still, they were both almost done (NL auto and OG Kush) so I cut them, quick dried them (boiler room at about 37C, in an open brown paper envelope for 36 hours with micro fan drawing air thru envelope) and they taste surprisingly good ...

Now you might understand why I'm rabbiting on a lot ...

Not long to go now ...

did you do anything with these? top them or anything? got some that are nearly 3 weeks and would love them to get the colas like this

This is what I did. Whether it was right or wrong, I dunno ... but I quite like the results. This is my second grow ... so still learning all the time. I have SOOOO much more to learn about plant training ... I figure I could at least double my yield from better plant training combined with longer vegetation

During Vegetation:
I topped at node three; and fimmed two nodes up from this (on all growth). Next grow I will fim only; I will be using training to "grow the structure of the plant I want to harvest" incl. much more tying down; supper-cropping; mainlining & strategic defoliation during vegetation
During Flowering:
I lightly defoliated fan leaves at week 2 (at top to expose bud sites) - next time I will tie colas out of the way first to minimise amount of defoliation.
At week 5, I tied colas to create space for as many as I could. I heavily defoliated fan leaves after this to expose bud sites - next time I will still do this, but reduce the amount ... and delay final defoliation until later.
I lollypopped at weeks 3 & 5 (weeks 3 removing mostly bud sites & week 5 mostly removing all lower leaves)
I pinched the stems (monster-cropping?) every couple of weeks (but only when the plant wasn't under stress ...)

What made this grow better than my first was (I think?) making sure that the conditions that the plants were growing in much better. My first grow during the Summer, temps were up to 110 and humidity hit 90%, all over the place!
This grow is during the Winter and daytimes, the plants are in 70-75 with 40-50% humidity .... night times 54-65, 40-50%.

Oh - and don't forget the Ph levels .... super important. First grow - I didn't even Ph my tap water. Fortunately it was in soil so not as important ... I'm in coco now, so it's been at 5.9 all the way through ... other than varying a point or two either way to assist with certain nutrient uptakes. Next time, I'm going to use reverse osmosis water ... see if it makes a difference as my Ph'd tap water is already at 300 ppm.

I also have better/enough lighting - 65w/ft2 up from 30w/ft2 (For HPS not LED)

And I've also learnt that nutrients are better in smaller quantities. Think "how little does my plant need to grow" ... rather than "how much can I feed it".

Ha ha .... you asked a simple question and I'm writing an essay. Sorry. One of the OG Kush stems broke off a couple of day ago and I'm beyond baked ...

iv never fimmed, iv topped feminised before but never an auto, iv got 9 in a 4x4ft that were planted on the 19/12/16, i just want the most out of them and not have to do another grow continuesly, thanks for all that i will have a good read and maby try it, i have 4 northern lights lst trained and im the same im hoping for a great yeild, both under 600w hps

My eight are growing under 2 x 600w - so four under 600w sounds perfect.

I didn't know this was an auto until it started showing buds under 18/6 (the seed company chucked in one as a freebie and I didn't read the packet thoroughly enough!) ... so it got the same treatment as the 7 photos. It didn't seem to mind the topping and fimming at all ... and maintained a short, stout plant with loads of bud sites.

Just to clarify ... I don't think I could double the yield of an auto through good training ... only the photos.

It also got moved to a 12 / 12 light schedule when it started flowering, to accommodate the other photos - which could be why it's taking a few weeks longer. If I was just growing autos, I'd have stuck at 18/6 ...

Pics would help ... but 6 inches at 3 weeks seems fine.

Didn't realise you were growing 9. Either you live in the UK, or you're hoping for a 3 x 3 plant footprint ...

Either way, I think you'll struggle to grow 9 under a 600w ... 4 plants FILL the footprint of my 600w at its effective height. a 4x4 footprint from a 1000w would have been better ...

Don't sweat it ... the tent is the size it is. 600w will finish the grow. Your yield will be OK.

It's just you're growing 9 autos ... my auto covers a footprint of c 2ft x 2ft, much bigger than it's pot ... I might be able to squash it into 18x18 ... but 12 x 12?

You don't really need to train them at all .... your grow room will be packed ... too packed.

I think 5 plants will absolutely fill that space !!!

Back
Top Bottom