Help! What is this?

415friendly

I am about 30 days into flowering with a feminized indica strain (Purple Kush).

I was checking my plants this morning, and under the purple LED light, these yellow tips were quite noticeable right at the tips of several of my colas. I was not able to get a good picture using my jewelers loupe, but did manage to get this one with the LED light off.

Photo_2016-06-06_7_04_20_AM.jpg

I snipped one off and looked at it under a dissecting scope:

At first, I thought they might be pollen sacs, but they're right at the very tip of the cola. Then I was concerned they might be developing seed pods, but they are not located anywhere else on the lateral bud sites and do not even appear to be anywhere else on the cola except for the tip. I don't think they are just swollen calyxes, and in fact, the highest magnification photo makes it look to me like the green marks that I thought were striations might be more calyxes that are forming around the yellowish mass at the tip.

Is this just the growth tip of the plant stem?

Any help would be appreciated.

It looks a bit like nanners, but too blurry to tell for sure. Might be something else. Don't stress. Just keep an eye on them and try to get a clear photo if you find more. Also double check that there are no light leaks in the flowering room during lights out. It must be completely dark in there with no cracks or interruptions of the dark cycle.

it looks like the beginning of bleech but dont even know if led can do that?

LEDs absolutely can bleach tops but that doesn't look like it to me. More likely nanners - or nothing. Time will tell...

10" is way close for most LEDs. Typically they are kept more like 24" away. What kind of light is it?

Mars Hydro Reflector-96. The canopy top is about 3-4 inches from top to bottom, so I thought that 10" to the top would be a minimum to allow decent penetration to the middle and lower part of the upper canopy where the tops are.

I think you want about double the distance you have currently. Don't sacrifice the top buds in hopes of getting more light to the bottom of the canopy. Some LEDs use lenses that won't blend the spectrums correctly when too close. IIRC, Mars recommends 24"+ for their mid-sized LEDs.

Their EBay add recommended 12-18" for flowering, 18"-24" for veg and 24"+ for seedlings.

Odd. I checked the MH website and it says 24" - 30", but I've never used that model.

Mars Reflector-96 Specifications:
LED Diode Brand:Epistar (HI-LED) High Intensity
Power Consumption:120V:207W±5%, 240V: 203W±5%
Operating Requirements:Input voltage: 85v-265v Amperage: 1.746@ 120v | 0.9@ 240v
Coverage Area:2' x 3' (60cm x 90cm)
Hanging Distance:24" - 30" (60cm - 76cm) from the top of your canopy
Product Dimensions:23" x 10" x 2" (56cm x 26cm x 6cm)
Product Weight:11lb. 4.5Kg.
Operating Temperature:80°F -100°F (30°C - 40°C)
BTU:467Decible Value:58
Plug Type:EU,UK,AU,USA,Japan
Ships From:UK,USA,Canada, Australia, Germany,China
Warranty:2 years
Compare to HPS/MH/HID:250 watt
LED Lens Degree:90°-120°
LED Diode Count:96 Pieces
Spectrum:440nm, 460nm, 630nm ,660nm,730nm(IR), 2700k-3000kProduct Model Number:Reflector-96

Right, I saw that, but I also saw this on their Amazon page:

Hanging Distance: Germination: 60-76cm(24''-30''); Veg:45-60cm(18''-24''); Flowering:30-45cm(12''-18'') from plants
Recommended Lighting Time:
Vegetative Stage: 14-18 hours on .Flowering Stage: 10-12 hours

Unfortunately, I'm height limited. I can maybe raise it another 4 inches maximum for this grow. Should I maybe switch half the lights off? I can do that but the fans are tied in to the veg lights, so I would have to turn off the bloom spectrum.

I'm all about more light. I'd let it run with both switches as long as it isn't burning the tops. I can't tell if that is what's happening, or not.

I raised my lights as high as I could, now have 14" to the very top of the highest cola, and then tied all the rest down to give a bit more distance. I'll update in my grow journal with some pics later.

Thanks!

I had no idea you are running ten gallon smartpots in such a small space!

Oh...I downgraded to 5's. Had originally planned on 10's to fill the entire width of the cabinet, but found that 5 was sufficient. I think that with the ebb/flow table, I can run 2's or 3's because I don't need the water retention of the larger pot

Back
Top Bottom