Hempy Headquarters

Tead, I think you’re half right, but I don’t think that you’re exactly right in this case.

You are correct in that I’m not exactly flushing with every water. I’m watering to overflow of a certain amount, but since my girls are pretty dry when I feed, there really isn’t any liquid left to flush out. I don’t think it’s root rot. I haven’t had any odor or discoloration, and post harvest, my root balls all looked very healthy.

What I suspect more is a salt build up. Since I allow the pots to get pretty dry, that could mean a concentration of nutes and over-concentration in my media. And since I also don’t overwater as much, it’s the flushing of that concentrate that isn’t happening, which leads to higher concentration each time.

Or it could be something else entirely. Lol

No... I think you've got a good handle on it. Flush more... no need for salt build up.
Tead jumped hard because he knows rot well.... way too well. He saw the first signs and just couldn't help but ring the bell hard.

Humm!, I also only water to a runoff. With my small Solo Cup sized Hempy Cups it's really easy as they require almost daily feeding because the reservoir is so small verses the demand. My other larger 1gal bucket has a similar sized plant as the smaller ones so it doesn't require feeding as much. So I typically tilt and pour off remaining after a few days and refill to overflow. Thanks for the reminding of the idea that I need to make sure enough Oxygen gets into the process.

I have an interesting question and subject for the Hempy Crowd. I recently ran across these PVC Grow Bags. 1 Gallon Grow Bags | Grow Bags | Growace.com They come in 10packs and come in 1,2,3 &5 gallon sizes. Very inexpensive. I'm wondering if they might work for Hempy??? Thoughts? Might even be able to use a paper hole punch up on top to make holes for pipe cleaners to LST with?

I haven't tried the OSMO+ yet but, I also generally let my reservoirs mostly dry up before watering again. To compensate, every 4th or 5th watering, I try to plug the hole and drench with plain water until the perlite floats, let it sit for a minute or two, then drain and refill with regular nutes.

I've also had the hempy hole get clogged and not noticed, causing very slow or no drainage at all. I think that can cause major root problems too. I now keep a metal chopstick nearby and poke the holes regularly.

Oh Man, I'm so excited. I received my 420 order today. 10days after ordering over the 4/20 weekend.
30 seeds. Purchased 10 Super Lemon Haze and received 10 additional free. They also had a 50% off on their Golden Leaf which I believe is one of their signature strains. So 10 of those for $69. All Fem and Photos. Oh, I'm itching to drop some seeds in water. Most likely tomorrow after I get some additional label supplies. Don't want to mix anything up.

I haven't tried the OSMO+ yet but, I also generally let my reservoirs mostly dry up before watering again. To compensate, every 4th or 5th watering, I try to plug the hole and drench with plain water until the perlite floats, let it sit for a minute or two, then drain and refill with regular nutes.

I've also had the hempy hole get clogged and not noticed, causing very slow or no drainage at all. I think that can cause major root problems too. I now keep a metal chopstick nearby and poke the holes regularly.

I kinda do the same float thing, but a just little differently.

I often use 5 gallon BPA grade food bucket as my perlite plant containers, filled to about 2 inches below the rim. About twice a week I mix the liquid fertilizers pH'd to 5.8, plug the drain hole, float the plant in the solution for about five minutes, pull the plug while jostling the bottom roots with a 1/4 wood dowel while it drains. A flush of sorts for salts. I do reuse the runoff on other houseplants (Diluted and pH adjusted) , so I don't waste much if any of my liquid nutes. Flushing with water then feeding works well too. Mostly I'm reinvigorating the mass of circular roots and fine perlite particles that always seem to collect and compact in the bottom inch of my Hempy pots.

I have NOTHING growing and I'm jonesing! I am planning a whole new setup in a dedicated detached building, just need to finish unpacking first.

Many ways to skin a cat ...oops ... that's probably not PC anymore!
:laugh:

Peace
Keith

I play fast and loose, and don't concern myself much with flushing. Hmmm.....I think I'd do well to start paying more attention, but with RX Technologies nutrients I simply don't have any concerns pop up.

I know how much water to mix when I drench so I get a shooting stream from the hole. I dump from above on the opposite side of the pot until the water starts to stream freely, then walk away to do something else while it settles. I used to be more diligent with flushing before I discovered this nutrient line. It's made me even lazier. Lol!

I don't flush.... not with clean water... I just dump the feed water in until I get a good flow out the hole, then follow Sue out the door and walk away while it finishes draining. Every watering/feeding is designed to push the old water out.
I like how Sue has naturally picked up on watering on the other side of the pot to get max flow thru the nutrients. Completely logical and exactly what I've done all these moons, tho I start with a loop around the top, then settle on watering in on the opposite side as the hole. While a minor tweak at best, I do appreciate when others discover fine points I've discovered as well.

Great minds and all that. :hug:

I don't flush.... not with clean water... I just dump the feed water in until I get a good flow out the hole, then follow Sue out the door and walk away while it finishes draining. Every watering/feeding is designed to push the old water out.
I like how Sue has naturally picked up on watering on the other side of the pot to get max flow thru the nutrients. Completely logical and exactly what I've done all these moons, tho I start with a loop around the top, then settle on watering in on the opposite side as the hole. While a minor tweak at best, I do appreciate when others discover fine points I've discovered as well.

Most container watering situations end up over time with only a few paths from the watering point (surface) to the exit point (drain), IMHO. Water always takes the easiest path available, lol. In light of this fact, the hempy-grower who covers the drain hole for a time during the watering event before releasing the liquid (uncovering the hole) is probably one up on those who merely pour and go, even if they do so to - and past - the point of runoff. Again, "IMHO."

I have a hopefully little problem. Yesterday while pouring off runoff I found that my larger Hempy Basket had some green in the runoff. The container is completely black plastic and if I hold it up toward intense light and put my face inside the opening I see no light coming through. I do understand that the plant is small in a large bucket with a large reservior, that it doesn't use as much liquid and nutes as quickly as other situations.

So, Back to the original issue, is a little bit of algae harmful to the plant? I appreciate that Algae grows on itself, so I'm guessing it's only a question of time before there will be more. I'm also guessing that the Algae eats up my nutes that feeding? I don't think I have more than about 3-4 weeks remaining before harvest of this one plant. Advice, Please?

One last bit, I was hoping to use this plant as a pollination experiment, which would cause it to remain in the bucket until the seeds have matured. Is that still possible?

Most container watering situations end up over time with only a few paths from the watering point (surface) to the exit point (drain), IMHO. Water always takes the easiest path available, lol. In light of this fact, the hempy-grower who covers the drain hole for a time during the watering event before releasing the liquid (uncovering the hole) is probably one up on those who merely pour and go, even if they do so to - and past - the point of runoff. Again, "IMHO."

Sounds like good advice between nutrient changes. Hmmm..... I keep forgetting I work with good nutrients. I haven’t seen any evidence of any excessive salt buildup in my pots.

I have a hopefully little problem. Yesterday while pouring off runoff I found that my larger Hempy Basket had some green in the runoff. The container is completely black plastic and if I hold it up toward intense light and put my face inside the opening I see no light coming through. I do understand that the plant is small in a large bucket with a large reservior, that it doesn't use as much liquid and nutes as quickly as other situations.

So, Back to the original issue, is a little bit of algae harmful to the plant? I appreciate that Algae grows on itself, so I'm guessing it's only a question of time before there will be more. I'm also guessing that the Algae eats up my nutes that feeding? I don't think I have more than about 3-4 weeks remaining before harvest of this one plant. Advice, Please?

One last bit, I was hoping to use this plant as a pollination experiment, which would cause it to remain in the bucket until the seeds have matured. Is that still possible?

I’d do good runoff at each watering and wouldn’t worry about it. The algae shares the nutrient dose, but you’re so close. Any way to set it into another black plastic container of the same size to increase light blockage? Cut the light and the algae die off.

I can put the current waste basket into another matching one. Won't hurt any to try, don't have a need for the second one in the moment. Other than I was hoping to use these baskets for future hempy grows. I really don't see any light through the plastic even when held up to the sun. Weird, to say the least. In part, I have to take lots of responsibility on this. Since I know it's not using a lot of liquid I should be pouring out and flushing a bit more with fresh. Lessons learned!

The algae may be from the hole. You won’t know until you harvest and check the roots.

I don't look at minor algal growth as a big, significant danger. Although, yes, it consumes a bit of nutrients, excretes a bit of waste products, and might affect pH in a minor way. I try to avoid it if possible, but haven't gone to "heroic lengths" to do so in years.

The above is in regards to the green type. The brown type (aka "brown slime," lol), that stuff is a danger to the root zone. Doesn't require light, IIRC, so it's harder to stop than just covering the reservoir. Best to not have it in the first place.

Hi 420 Friends!

Hempy is so forgiving, it allows growers to be lazy and loose with several important factors and still obtain good results. I don't think green algae hurts anything in passive hydro, it might even help reduce excess nutrients. Light must be part of the equation though, no light, no green algae.

My parents made me the gardener I am today, mostly my Mom. I will offer that my yields are directly proportional to the amount of detail and fussing I put into the grow. When I'm not fussing over the details, my yields are never up to their potential, but the quality is nearly identical. When I follow every little detail I've learned over the decades, I'm rewarded with significantly increased yields. I've side by side tested my laziest method and my most anal method, clones with identical environments, and the difference in the end is always quantity, not quality. I go with my lazy method most of the time since my produce volume requirements are rather meager :laugh: Really I go with lazy because I always seem to have 10 irons in the fire.

Peace
Keith

Back
Top Bottom