Herbshuttles Indoor Coco Coir Purple Kush Grow

I'm taking it easy on the lollipoping. Only the dead looking leaves are getting pulled. I've read that lollipopping is unnecessary with LED lights and I also accidentally snapped off a branch on the sick looking plant and all the leaves died ahaha. Pictures to come tn

Photos at last! I'm trying to decide if that's just the natural lightening of the leaves that you see at flower or if you have a little deficiency starting there? What to you think? Everything sure looks good in the top photo...

In the sick plant I definitely agree but idk exactly what. They both get the same feed. I noticed calcium deficiency on a few leaves but I think it's because the pH was 5.8, so I watered at 6.1 to raise it (calcium gets locked out under 6.0 apparantly

I noticed calcium deficiency on a few leaves but I think it's because the pH was 5.8, so I watered at 6.1 to raise it (calcium gets locked out under 6.0 apparantly

A difference of .3 pH is not significant at all, and people get WAY to worked up about nutrients getting "locked out" at magic pH numbers. If you're really seeing a Ca deficiency, just add more Cal/Mag.

In the sick plant I definitely agree but idk exactly what.

It doesn't look like N and chances are it's a macronutrient so if it is in fact a deficiency, just increasing the fertilizer a little should take care of it. No need for any drastic measures...

<edit> Hey HS-- I looked more closely at that shot and that is definitely a deficiency. I have been over at Nebula Haze's site, looking at her sick plant diagnosis chart, and what I came up with is iron deficiency. Or maybe zinc. I also found this:
"While iron deficiency can occur in all grow medium, it occurs most frequently in coco coir. This is mostly because this medium lacks organic iron and naturally contains a high amount of salt, making iron less available for the roots."

Anyway, if you get your pH right (have you calibrated your pen recently) and give it the recommended fertilizers, that should not be a problem. Weird, especially since it's just one plant...

Me, I'm transitioning from twice daily 2 minute waterings to once daily for one minute (trying to lower the humidity), and that has actually had a significant effect. I have tip burn. You can see it in the photo. I guess I got the daily mid-bloom nutes a little too hot (at 400 PPM, 200 of which is cal/mag) and reduced flow is causing it to build up in the coco? Not to worry, I diluted it a little and increased the pump time from one minute to two. My buds are starting to fill in and get sticky! :)

Hey HS -- Man, you are definitely not lollipopping! It looks like a damn jungle down there. I'm at the other end of the spectrum--my whole understory is completely cleaned out, but I'm SCORGing this time, so that seems appropriate. If I remember or you're curious, I''ll take a snapshot of it when the lights come back on. (Lately I've been at work pretty much the whole time the lights are on, but that's gotta stop.) :p

Dude your plants look beautiful, definitely doing a great job. And I've also thought iron and zinc deficiency in the pst. Maybe I need a higher quality pH pen. Idk either way Im going to continue this until the end and hope for the best

Dude your plants look beautiful, definitely doing a great job. And I've also thought iron and zinc deficiency in the pst. Maybe I need a higher quality pH pen. Idk either way Im going to continue this until the end and hope for the best
Thanks! I love coco. It's so easy and works so well.

A cheap pH pen that is carefully calibrated with calibration fluid is better than an expensive one that's not calibrated. They're pretty simple devices, but they need care.

How far into flower are you? 3 weeks ?
I actually flipped from 24 hours of light a day in veg to 14 hours of light a day six and a half weeks ago!

I have read that at 14 hours it just takes a week or two longer for flowering to start, but I wasn't seeing any sign of flowering at all so I chickened out and decided to got to 12 hours and have been there ever since. (I'm always experimenting with different ideas, and sometimes my new ideas are duds. But it's fun to push the envelope...)

I had a long training period in veg to get her all trained out for SCROG, so the plant is 82 days from seed. The autos I used to grow would be on their second week of curing by now! ;)

I just remembered I said I was going to take a picture of the lollipopping underneath my SCROG screen. Here it is. That's about a foot of stalks under the screen. The growth in the canopy pretty much blocks any direct light from getting below the screen. The white clip fan on the left has a pretty easy time pushing air up through the stalks and into the canopy. I really have no idea if this is the best way to do things, it's just a mix of what I've seen and how things just kind of evolved in my first SCROG.

Looking good bro! I'm too scared to lollipop this run after what I did to the one branch on the sick plant. For now I'm sticking with just the dead leaves but seeing yours makes me want to reconsider. And yeah after I said 3 weeks I figured it actually looks more like 4-5 so that makes sense

Looking good bro! I'm too scared to lollipop this run after what I did to the one branch on the sick plant. For now I'm sticking with just the dead leaves but seeing yours makes me want to reconsider. And yeah after I said 3 weeks I figured it actually looks more like 4-5 so that makes sense

Like I said, I really don't know if lollipopping helps or hurt or does nothing.

I started defoliating on an earlier grow when I had growth that was so dense that water was condensing on the leaves in droplets. Removing some leaves opened up the air flow and also got rid of leaf shade on flowers. Those two I know really help.

I think that defoliation helps, as they say, by limiting the plant's resources to the areas where it's actually doing some good (the sunny spots), but you could just as well argue that once the leaves are there, why not leave them alone?

Well I'll try an experiment. I defoliated the healthy plant a good amount yesterday. The unhealthy one will stay. Only problem is idk if we could tribute the success of the healthy plant to defoliation or if it will just perform better because of its superior health.

That's always the case with cannabis experiments. We never have controls or any of that stuff.

I do know that topping a plant makes a big difference, but I'm not so sure about bottoming. (Ooh, that sounds kinda bad.)

Back
Top Bottom