Herbshuttles Indoor Coco Coir Purple Kush Grow

Ok so I have good and bad news. During today's watering I noticed some interested white specs in the water. They seemed to move to their own beat and not the current of the water. I then looked at the smart pots and noticed hundreds of more similar specs. Some appeared to be moving ever so slightly. I wiped my finger along the side and then used a jewel loupe to get a closer look. Mites. Alive and well. They are milky white, maybe slightly translucent. They ARE visible with the naked eye, it's just hard to distinguish them as a living being without the loupe. With the loupe you can easily see them moving about ; creepy. But they were in the side of the smart pot as if they were in the soil and maybe the water drove them out? What type of mites might these be (no pun intended)? How can I eradicate them whilest I'm in flowering ? (On the second week)

Pests. Ugh. I sprayed neem oil on the surface of my outdoor coco grow for gnats. (It smells just a little funky but it's organic.) Mites might be a little hardier than gnats. The key to pest management in my experience it to hit him them hard, hit them often, hit them for a long time, and hit them consistently--daily sprayings over and over and over. Unless you're seeing 'em on the plant itself, spraying just the coco should do. Maybe someone else will have some suggestions. (One thing that did NOT work for me was soapy water spray. I think it just washed the bugs. ;))

Horrible pic I know. You can't see any details really, like the two long hairs in the back, the legs etc. but at least you can see the shape and color. I've only found this on the smart pots. My guess is they are in the coco, and the water washed a bunch out. I'm still trying to diagnose the type because most mites in soil/coco are supposed to be beneficial but these guys aren't fast like the predatory mites. If they are broad or cyclamen I'm confused as to why they'd be in the coco and not on the leaves

How many legs do they have? Mites have eight. It's conceivable I suppose that they won't affect your plant. If it was my grow, I'd be spritzing neem oil or some other organic insecticide/miticide. You still have quite a while until harvest, so I would think that keeping them under control until then would be worthwhile...

How many legs do they have? Mites have eight. It's conceivable I suppose that they won't affect your plant. If it was my grow, I'd be spritzing neem oil or some other organic insecticide/miticide. You still have quite a while until harvest, so I would think that keeping them under control until then would be worthwhile...
I'm going to check again tomorrow during the light hours to try and get a better look. They look like mites for sure, seemed to have at least 8 legs and 2 long hairs coming from its butt. I definitely want to get them under control

My guess is it's some type of soil/coco coir /compost mite. Although it does look like a dust mite. I want to be absolutely sure I know what it is and does

Well I guess most mites look alike? Dust mites principally eat skin is my understanding, so I doubt they'd be thriving in coco--more like your pillowcase. (I'm allergic to the damned things so I have studied their ways.) I kind of like the idea of coconut mites. ;)

If they aren't bad than I won't mind them at all but unless they are trying to eat the bad mites I don't see how they could be good

I was just doing some reading about mites and found an electron micrograph of a white fly with half a dozen russet mites hitchhiking by holding on to its legs! I have seen flower mites hitchhike on the bills of hummingbirds (they sometimes jump off at my feeder). Fiendish wee beasties, the mites.

I hate them with a passion lol. I'm a clean person this shouldn't happen to me!!! Ahhhh haha. Here's some pics of my smart pots. One shows the weird blotches I initially thought was salt deposits, and the other shows the hundreds of mites visible with the naked eye as white dots. Then I have another pic I grabbed online of an unidentified mite that looks almost identical

They don't look like any scale bugs either to me it looks like part of the plant

Yep mine look the same and were treated young with fertiligene. Think with time the trunk adopt a more and more woody shape and aspect. Old plants have strong wood trunks and it s the same for big cannabis plants (which seems logical as big and tall also means old)

So it's been almost a week since I drenched and sprayed azamax. Mites are back along the outside of the pots like before however this time they don't seem to move as much. I was going to wait another week before another drench and was also thinking about avoiding another spray because I'm about to start week 4 of flowering. Should I add another formula to the azamax mix this time? Or should I just do another formula altogether? Suggestions? Thoughts?

Mites are very hardy little critters so will probably need continuous treatment through harvest just to keep them under control. Is weekly application what's recommended? (FWIW, I used to spray my coco with neem oil every day to control fungus gnats outside.) Hit 'em hard, hit long, and hit 'em continuously.

I've been waiting for a snapshot of your flowers...

Back
Top Bottom