Homer's Legal 4-Plant Max Perpetual Minimalist Garden In Ontario

I saw that mentioned and thought that DE was an odd choice, since I keep hearing that it adds soluble silica to water. That and it's so incredibly fine that you would need an incredibly fine filter to keep out the particles that didn't dissolve!

Coffee filters seemed perfect to me.
Yes, I know from my endless workplace safety meetings silica is not something you want in your body. And yes DE does sound like some pretty nasty stuff; I was leaning more towards the charcoal but now neither appeal.

Yes, I think using just coffee filters is great for tinctures. This picture with the eyedropper is full of tincture that was distilled down from the 16 ounces I washed 1 ounce of ganja with to only 1 ounce of final product so it is pretty potent and still fairly clean and translucent.

IMG_5631.JPG

So it was surprising to see how dark the same mixture became when all the alcohol was evaporated leaving just the oil. To me it's all good stuff though and I'm quite happy with the results.

I was surprised the resin I got from it wasn't more honey-like but it's all usable to me so I'm happy with it.

IMG_5677.JPG

Homer...wrinkle ranch...I am chuckling pretty hard right now.
That's not my original. There used to be a bar in the area that was frequented by almost exclusively senior citizens and that's where I heard the name first applied. I don't mean to be insensitive but in my defence I'm not long for the wrinkle ranch myself. :oops:

Since I like my tinctures so much today I rigged up an alcohol recovery system. I gave it a little test run with 4 ounces of isopropyl alcohol and it worked pretty well. That should also clean out any flux in the system. By having a higher water level I got a faster distillate flow so I think the sides of the jar out of the water are acting as a condenser so I think I will use a shorter jar that is mostly submerged in future. And nothing makes me happier than being able to make something with just the junk I have around the house like I could with this project.

IMG_5463.JPG

I figure I can clear up a lot of space in the freezer by turning the bud into oil, D'oh!

I found a pretty interesting article by some filtration company who sells filtration equipment to the cannabis industry. It says," This process freezes the lipids and fats in the crude product, and is not required with an ethanol solvent. The reason that other solvents need winterization is that butane, or BHO, unlike ethanol, is non-polar and therefore dissolves excessive plant material, which is removed via winterization."

I always thought ethanol has the wrong charge so that it breaks down chlorophyll more than most solvents but apparently it's just the opposite. Now that I have my recovery system I may be using more ethanol. Here's that article if anybody wants to read it.

Morning Homer, slowly catching up on some journals, hard to keep up with them all now that I am back to work but seen this and wanted to weigh in.

The article talks about ethanol extraction not needing to be winterized. This is true at the temperatures they are quoting (-80 to -40C) but if you are like most home extractors and using a home freezer, these only go to -18 which is not cold enough to freeze the lipids. If you are using the extract for smoking/vaping, it should still be winterized as there will be plant waxes in the wash.

If after filtering your wash, it is at all cloudy, then it’s has waxes in there and should be winterized.

Morning Homer, slowly catching up on some journals, hard to keep up with them all now that I am back to work but seen this and wanted to weigh in.

The article talks about ethanol extraction not needing to be winterized. This is true at the temperatures they are quoting (-80 to -40C) but if you are like most home extractors and using a home freezer, these only go to -18 which is not cold enough to freeze the lipids. If you are using the extract for smoking/vaping, it should still be winterized as there will be plant waxes in the wash.

If after filtering your wash, it is at all cloudy, then it’s has waxes in there and should be winterized.
Interesting post, Celt. Since I am taking mine orally I am pretty happy with the clarity I am getting with just using coffee filters but I appreciate the info.

My Gorilla Glue isn't monkeying around anymore but instead is really going ape growing buds. She is now on week eight day three of flower so she has still another week and a half to bulk up even more. Very happy with her.

IMG_5775.JPG

She's a beauty eh! Nicely done Homer. Big fatties!
Thank you Mr. S., eh. I think all I did was just not screw it up because this thing had great genetics. I didn't think it would beat my 10-ounce Northern Lights plant but now I'm not sure. Before I harvest I will put a split-screen so people can guess. That Sensi Seeds Northern Lights was pretty impressive because it was only in a 5-gallon container and didn't veg as long, eh.

I have the weights in from my latest alcohol extraction. It's kind of confusing because I did a primary and then a secondary wash both of 16 ounces but to get my weights I only used half of the first extraction because I wanted to try using it as a tincture right away. But the results are totally valid if confusing.

I am trying to make graphics that tell the entire story for some darn reason. I have to plan better in the future so they don't have confusing hitches like this one. I got a good return though of 4.07 g resin from an ounce of bud dried to 60% which is 14.5% by weight. That's a deceiving number though because once that ounce of bud is de-carbed and has almost all of its moisture re-moved it goes from weighing 28 g two only 22 g which means when the plant is dry I'm really removing 18.5% resin by weight. Either way you calibrate it, I'm pretty happy with my return.

exract test .jpg

I will be posting some pics on clarity differences of the premium 5 min wash's resin vs the more contaminated 24 hr's resin.

Looks like it’ll yield well.
Yes, she has really come into her own in the stretch. Curious to see is she surpasses the NL for the record. Will post side by side pics before I harvest. The NL though was only in a five-gallon and didn't veg as long. I can see why NL is a ledgend.

Could be a difference in bud density as well.
Very good point. I remember my NL being pretty dense but these GG buds are just as dense if not more so. Strong plant all around with most of its branches supporting the heavy buds not needing support unlike most of mine at this stage.

Nice, my GG4 is kinda leggy at this point.
I am surprised to read that because mine has been pretty squat like what's described as the typical Indica even though it's mostly Sativa. My Bruce Banner isn't as tall as I thought it would be but it is such a fighter. With my Gorilla Glue, it's as though all the tips wanted to stay the same height but with Bruce Banner, it's like every one is fighting for dominance so it's nonstop super cropping.

Mines from S1 so a lot of genetic variation. Will be interesting to pop more of them.
That makes it more fun! Are they from Grandpa Tokin because I think I have heard he has some strain of his own or something?

Yes they’re made from GT’s cut, it’s a cut from the original mother that Joesy Whales held. Hopefully I can make more seeds soon.
Cool... I don't know those guys but I do know what original mother means so that is awesome. Be cool to see how she buds.

Back
Top Bottom