Homer's Legal 4-Plant Max Perpetual Minimalist Garden In Ontario

My Chemdawg is looking like a happy little pup today!

IMG_6695.JPG

Although I posted this pic yesterday I was kind of hesitant because although it is kind of a nice pic, technically it is a piece of crap because I screwed up one of the most important things and that is the focus. The eye is drawn to whatever is in focus in a photograph or is brighter so you want your subject to be both but unfortunately in this photograph, the focal plane is at the very back of the rear leaf of the plant so I focus too far behind.

IMG_6695.JPG

In this photograph I took today, the focus is bang on so the seedling I want to emphasize pops right out and seizes the attention of your eye.

IMG_6701.JPG

The only way to focus with an iPhone is to tap the screen so the camera can automatically focus on your subject but unfortunately, this method doesn't always work properly especially with thin small subjects such as a seedling. So I went online and I found an app for $5.99 Canadian in the app store that lets you take full control of all the settings in your camera that Apple doesn't let you access.

First is the focus; with this app there is a sliding bar so you can move the focal plane in and out just like on any camera with a manual focus like an SLR camera. That way I was able to focus in on the seedling perfectly.

Also when I use the timer on my iPhone so that the camera is steady by the time the picture is taken when I use a tripod the default setting for the iPhone with a timer forces you to take 10 pictures which is a total pain in the butt. This app lets you use the timer and just take one pic.

You can also control the shutter speed which is pretty handy because that means I can use lower the shutter speed so the camera will use a higher ISO rating which means higher quality.

It also does lots of other things so if you have time to kill and want more control over your iPhone I would highly suggest this app or one like it but this one seems to be pretty highly rated.

I’ll look for a free version if there is one.
I don't think there is a free version of this app but there are a few out there so you may find a free one. In Canada, it was $5.99 but in the states, it is only $4.99 I think.

Ok cool I’ll look around
Actually there were a few free ones but I didn't check into them but they are out there.

Bruce is getting pretty frosty on her sugar leaves, not @Dutchman1990 Sluricane frosty but pretty good for me.

I was able to focus in with my new app. :)

IMG_6708.JPG

I learned a few interesting things when I bought my new camera app because it shows all the controls Apple hides from you controlling your camera like the shutter speed and ISO settings.

When cameras had film the sensitivity of the film varied and that was called the ISO rating. Kodachrome 64 which was a really iconic slide film had an ASA of 64 meaning it was for outdoors because it needed a lot of light and at the other end of the scale a 1000 ASA film was considered very fast and would be used in low light conditions.
("ASA is a scale created by the American Standards Association, but it is no longer widely used. ... Now, most film is labeled by ISO, which was created in 1987 by the International Organization for Standardization. There is no difference in the film itself.")

Older cameras of any quality often you could change the shutter speed and aperture for different effects. Shutter speed is pretty obvious; the amount of time the shutter is open and the film is exposed to light. Aperture is a diaphragm with a variable diameter within the camera that when adjusted can vary the amount of light that comes into the camera striking the film.

Changing the aperture makes the depth of field deeper or shallower but also it is used to maintain the proper exposure when the shutter speed is changed for example if you make your shutter speed half as fast you are letting in half as much light so if the aperture is made twice as big you still have a proper exposure.

I know from this new program though that iPhones don’t have apertures that can be adjusted but the camera must be able to compensate for the changing amount of light entering the camera by changing the shutter speed so they do it by changing the ISO rating of the light sensor in the digital camera as the shutter speed changes. In film cameras, you would have to change your film to change your ISO.

And apparently just like old film ISO ratings the lower the rating number meaning the less sensitive it is to light, the higher quality of the picture. So to make a short story very long that is why using longer exposures with an iPhone will give you a better quality picture in some light conditions.

Yes she’s looking healthy but she’s a little bit on the small side. I’m sure she will be okay but back 20 years ago when I used to smoke a lot it seems to me I remember seeds being about twice the size of the seeds I buy now? Maybe I’m just misremembering and or delusional but I was wondering are S1 seeds generally smaller than regular seeds made from a male and female plant instead of reversed?
Homer...new to growing...again. Recent seeds Ive purchased are about 50% or less than the size of the Columbian seeds I grew up with...kind of my ingrained gauge of seed size. The first skunk that came around in 1980 was besides amazing the seeds were 2x the size of the Santa Marta Gold...equally strange. I was skeptical about the puny seeds but have been very happy 3 grows in. Im sure there are plenty of strains around that have fatter seeds. Congrats on the ChemD and the new grow space is shaping up.

Homer...new to growing...again. Recent seeds Ive purchased are about 50% or less than the size of the Columbian seeds I grew up with...kind of my ingrained gauge of seed size. The first skunk that came around in 1980 was besides amazing the seeds were 2x the size of the Santa Marta Gold...equally strange. I was skeptical about the puny seeds but have been very happy 3 grows in. Im sure there are plenty of strains around that have fatter seeds. Congrats on the ChemD and the new grow space is shaping up.
Thanks for the post, cr8grow. I was starting to doubt my sanity being the only one thinking seeds got smaller, lol. Yes, very happy the ChemD is alive and well! Thanks.

Looking good for sure Homer! Hope your well my man! My slurricane is getting close again and man you should see her this round! Absolute stunner!

All the best for you and the fam jam as well been a bit cause I’m so busy with work... no time for anything anymore

Looking good for sure Homer! Hope your well my man! My slurricane is getting close again and man you should see her this round! Absolute stunner!

All the best for you and the fam jam as well been a bit cause I’m so busy with work... no time for anything anymore
Hey Dutch. Nice to have you drop by. I am well buddy and hope you are too. I will definitely be checking out your latest Slurricane masterpiece; hard to imagine better than the last crop.

I have no idea how you manage to keep that beautiful garden going and work at all. :thumb:

Hey Dutch. Nice to have you drop by. I am well buddy and hope you are too. I will definitely be checking out your latest Slurricane masterpiece; hard to imagine better than the last crop.

I have no idea how you manage to keep that beautiful garden going and work at all. :thumb:
It’s a challenge but automation love for the plant helps a lot! Glad to hear your well pal

Great Grows Homer! Been following for a while....GG will be in my next grow!!!
I have a question that maybe some one can answer with all this Sativa/Indica talk. I have 3 Sativa growing now almost ready... looking at trichs the very top has some amber, but the rest of the plant and lower on mains is still clear to slightly cloudy, all are still producing new white pistols, Strains are Power Plant, Duban Poison and Trainwreck. Anyone got ideas how long they will go on...

Thx, NA

Great Grows Homer! Been following for a while....GG will be in my next grow!!!
I have a question that maybe some one can answer with all this Sativa/Indica talk. I have 3 Sativa growing now almost ready... looking at trichs the very top has some amber, but the rest of the plant and lower on mains is still clear to slightly cloudy, all are still producing new white pistols, Strains are Power Plant, Duban Poison and Trainwreck. Anyone got ideas how long they will go on...

Thx, NA
Good luck with the GG.

I am anything but an expert on Sativas. I actually haven’t even grown a pure one yet even though that will be my next grow so with that in mind here are my two cents.

Usually, I want a fair bit of amber and lots of cloudy with almost no clear but that’s what I’ve been trying to do with Indicas because the more amber and cloudy the more sedative they are but since the whole idea of a Sativa is that it is more stimulating than sedative I’m not really sure if you would want as much amber with your Sativas. As they say always on this site it’s personal preference. But I would think the less amber you have with your Sativa the less sedating it will be.

But if you are getting new pistols it is way too early because that means you are getting new growth so I would definitely hang on until you stop getting new pistols. And @Pennywise has been telling me ridiculous bloom times with some Sativas like 14, 16 and I think even 18 weeks. He is the man to ask really; everything I’m regurgitating to you came from him pretty much.

Besides, a while back one of my Northern lights harvests I did three separate harvests of one plant two weeks apart at something like 8, 10, and 12 weeks and I couldn’t tell any difference but then again I don’t smoke mine I use tinctures so your mileage may vary.

Back
Top Bottom