Icemud's LED Grow - The Tangie Pheno Hunt

So sorry to hear about the pesky mites. I don't like being against another species, but this one needs to learn to be more cooperative and stay away from the cannabis!!! Such a man of action though Icemud. May you wipe them out quickly and efficiently.

sorry bout the troubles Brotha the healthy looking plants look good on the Bright side :thumb:

So sorry to hear about the pesky mites. I don't like being against another species, but this one needs to learn to be more cooperative and stay away from the cannabis!!! Such a man of action though Icemud. May you wipe them out quickly and efficiently.

Hey Sweetsue... yea Mites are definitely not my favorite to deal with, but so far been successful at erradicating them, so its a long process but I am so lucky that I caught it in veg, and not in flowering, which is much harder to treat with flowers that I wouldn't want to spray :) Got my fingers crossed and just in case my sprayer locked and loaded :) lol

Hey everyone, hope you all are having a great day!

The Tangie Tent:

So far the Tangies are coming along nicely and I haven't watered them since I returned from my trip about a week ago. The pots are getting much lighter but still have another 2 days or so to go before they need a watering so I am going to hold off, and will be brewing up a nice compost tea probably tomorrow :) I still am waiting for their side branches to develop more, and considering doing another topping to really bush the girls out, but still to be determined :) There are a couple smaller branches that I could grab some clones from, but I would like to see the plants even more bushy so most likely I will top them in a few days to really encourage more branching :)
Other than that the Tangie tent is looking good, and even though I haven't seen any spider mites in this tent, I have been treating it anyways just to make sure none want to much on my plants :)

The Veg/Mother tent.

After I removed the 2 worst plants (black diamond Og, area 51) and put them in my 3rd tent I have been inspecting each plant every single day. I removed all the worst leaves, which hosted a lot of damage and eggs, and have sprayed the plants every single day rotating between my mite products. I don't want to give these little suckers a chance to repopulate so I have been rather vigorous on my treatments. Each day I pull off a couple leaves, check to see if there are mites, and if there are, are they alive. So far I have found mostly dead mites, with just 1 or 2 that managed to survive, so I will continue treatments for the next month, but now I am spacing out the sprayings about every 3 days which is the time it takes for an egg to develop into a young mite. I figure if I can take them out as soon as they become mature, this will prevent new eggs from being laid, hence cutting their cycle to null :) I haven't seen any new damage on any of my plants over the last week, and so the treatments must be working decently :)

I also noticed my blue dream has been hit by them as well, but not bad like the other 2, so I removed any damaged leaves and have been spraying all the plants daily. So far so good and I think within the month I should be miteless, but if not, my next step will be to clone each plant, wash the leaves prior and start the strains out from clones that are healthy. I don't think I will need to go this route but I will stay proactive and know its an option if all else fails. But things are looking good :)

Other than that, not much else to report. My GSC clones I took seem to be hanging in there so hopefully 1 will pop and I will be able to keep these genetics. This really tells me that I need to make seeds ASAP of all my strains so that I need not worry if a plant doesn't survive in veg... I can then just pop some seeds and find the pheno I like :)

Well here are some photos :)

Tangie Tent

IMG_20150922_094959.jpg
IMG_20150922_095009.jpg
IMG_20150922_095019.jpg
IMG_20150922_095044.jpg
IMG_20150922_095102.jpg
IMG_20150922_095159.jpg

IMG_20150922_095110.jpg

IMG_20150922_095114.jpg

IMG_20150922_095120.jpg

IMG_20150922_095124.jpg

IMG_20150922_095130.jpg

IMG_20150922_095135.jpg

IMG_20150922_095142.jpg

IMG_20150922_095148.jpg

VEG/Mother Tent/and 3rd tent:

IMG_20150922_095447.jpg
IMG_20150922_095509.jpg

Blue Dream
IMG_20150922_095522.jpg

Ogiesel
IMG_20150922_095514.jpg

Harlequin
IMG_20150922_095519.jpg

Black Cherry Soda
IMG_20150922_095532.jpg

Fire OG
IMG_20150922_095527.jpg

Black Diamond OG
IMG_20150922_095628.jpg

Area 51
IMG_20150922_095624.jpg

hope your gsc pulls through it sucks finding something good especially if your keeping a mother and
have trouble keeping it
all good vibes your way Brotha :thumb: :circle-of-love:

hope your gsc pulls through it sucks finding something good especially if your keeping a mother and
have trouble keeping it
all good vibes your way Brotha :thumb: :circle-of-love:

Hey Cronic! Thanks for the best wishes on the GSC... Yea GSC has been a really funny plant to keep. It hates topping which is where I made my first mistake, because it seems after being topped it loses its sense of up/down and grows like a vine. Such a weird plant. I do think that 2 of the clones may root, 2 aren't looking too good so I have been giving them a daily spray of some b-vitamins and very light 1-1-1 foliar feedings. (thrive alive organic)

I hope she pulls through... and as soon as I am done with the pheno hunt, the GSC will be the first that gets seeded. I would much rather not have to worry about keeping mothers since it takes up room and sort of messes up my perpetual grow, so I think that after the tangie hunt is done, I will be doing a seed project. That is unless I get another LED offer to test a product. Have had a couple amazing offers however since they aren't sponsors on 420 mag, I had to turn them down. Bummer too because I really wanted to try those Optic LED's which use Vero LES chips and meanwell drivers.. oh well. Still love the advanced panels, but always eager to try the new technologies to get a broad range of experience with LED. :) Probably best for my personal interest though is just getting my seed project done..LOL I've been putting it off for a long time.

yea I got the cali connection one just almost about to go into bloom once medi bomb1 comes out
gonna take a few cuttings off of it
I also have a gsc bagseed I think I'm gonna pop that real soon so I can get it going and possibly
use some pollen if its male or cs it if its female and use it on the cali connection one
just a thought now I gotta go throw it in a paper towel :thumb:

yea I got the cali connection one just almost about to go into bloom once medi bomb1 comes out
gonna take a few cuttings off of it
I also have a gsc bagseed I think I'm gonna pop that real soon so I can get it going and possibly
use some pollen if its male or cs it if its female and use it on the cali connection one
just a thought now I gotta go throw it in a paper towel :thumb:

One of the clone suppliers that I've used in the past used to run a lot of cali connection seeds and I gotta say, very legit genetics :) Medi bomb sounds great!

ohhh GSC bagseed, sounds fun! Well 2 of my clones aren't looking too good but 2 are still holding up, no roots yet but should be any day :) I hope :)

i bought some cc gsc seeds. only one of them germinated, the other 5 all died without germinating. i tried to rejuvinate with rhizo and humic and fulvic acid but no luck.

the one seed that survived was a real pita. ugly leaves and very very nute sensitive. i took clones from her which rooted very good. next plant i still had problems, calmag def. grow after that i finally got the hang of it. Best plant i had so far. Super potent and superb taste, but with a low yield.

CC also has now LA Cookies. i think i buy one at a picknmix store. But even if i lost 5 seeds and it took me 7 months or 3 grows to get it dialed in it is my fav plant.

never had topping issues though. but shes a stretcher in bloom. easy 3x height increase

i bought some cc gsc seeds. only one of them germinated, the other 5 all died without germinating. i tried to rejuvinate with rhizo and humic and fulvic acid but no luck.

the one seed that survived was a real pita. ugly leaves and very very nute sensitive. i took clones from her which rooted very good. next plant i still had problems, calmag def. grow after that i finally got the hang of it. Best plant i had so far. Super potent and superb taste, but with a low yield.

CC also has now LA Cookies. i think i buy one at a picknmix store. But even if i lost 5 seeds and it took me 7 months or 3 grows to get it dialed in it is my fav plant.

never had topping issues though. but shes a stretcher in bloom. easy 3x height increase

The Ogiesel cut I have had for about 2 years now is also a CC strain. I swear its one of the best genetics I have had, very hardy plant, grows with little to no problems and is accepting of pretty much any soil and nutrients. Very very strong. Warning with Ogiesel though, as you may frequently take naps after smoking her...haha. Very heavy stone :)

Great to hear good things about cc seeds
ill be looking forwards to smoking this one
ill even fem seed the fem seed just to keep the genetics till I can find something
worthy or a regular seed to cross it with

Update time:

Hey everyone!

Todays Tangie report is brought to you by.......

Me... LOL

So the Tangies are doing well and growing fairly fast now. Over the last few weeks with the preventive sprays for pests I think I may have had the solution too strong because the tangies had some leaf damage on the lower younger leaves, but now has been corrected and they are going strong :)

My last feeding was an amendment feeding with just some cal/mag by humboldt, hygrozyme and some microbe life grow. I also added a little potassium sulfate due to my soil being low in K and seeing slight K deficiencies in some of the plants.

Not much else to report with the Tangies at this time, I will be taking clones of all of them during the next week and as soon as they root I will be flipping to flowering :)

Full Tent pics:
IMG_20151001_095541.jpg
IMG_20151001_095548.jpg
IMG_20151001_095607.jpg

IMG_20151001_095627.jpg

IMG_20151001_095632.jpg

IMG_20151001_095637.jpg

IMG_20151001_095641.jpg

IMG_20151001_095646.jpg

IMG_20151001_095651.jpg

IMG_20151001_095656.jpg

IMG_20151001_095702.jpg

I see the mosquito dunks in your pest prevention array....do you just crumble those and top dress? Just wondering what the most effective way to use them to combat fungus gnats. The tangies look great! :goodjob:

Yea, for fungus gnats I would take between 1/4 and 1/2 dunk, crumble it between my fingers into my feeding water. I would do this every feeding until the gnats were gone, generally about 30 days is their life cycle. Also used with Yellow sticky cards works very well.

Icemud, how old are the Tangies? I only ask because you mentioned you were taking cuttings and would be flipping after they rooted. A bell went off in my head about a scheduling I hadn't really paid attention to: when to take cuttings and still stay on track.

So,
- At what age do you typically take cuttings?
- How long do you plan them to take to root?
- How consistent has your success rate been with cloning? What's your back-up plan?
- Do you consistently flip at a particular time? By that I mean.... Graytail used to flip his around day 100, give or take. With his current Land 'O Light that's been cut down by almost 20 days. I was wondering if you'd noticed anything similar as you've improved your lighting?

You opened up a whole lot of little windows in my mind tonight Icemud. Hope I didn't overload you. :battingeyelashes:

Icemud, how old are the Tangies? I only ask because you mentioned you were taking cuttings and would be flipping after they rooted. A bell went off in my head about a scheduling I hadn't really paid attention to: when to take cuttings and still stay on track.

So,
- At what age do you typically take cuttings?
- How long do you plan them to take to root?
- How consistent has your success rate been with cloning? What's your back-up plan?
- Do you consistently flip at a particular time? By that I mean.... Graytail used to flip his around day 100, give or take. With his current Land 'O Light that's been cut down by almost 20 days. I was wondering if you'd noticed anything similar as you've improved your lighting?

You opened up a whole lot of little windows in my mind tonight Icemud. Hope I didn't overload you. :battingeyelashes:

Hey SweetSue!

I don't have a "typical age" that I take the cuttings, I usually wait until there is some nicely developed lower branches. I read somewhere a while back that when cloning the lower branches contain slightly higher amounts of the hormone that causes rooting, not sure how accurate it is but been doing it that way for a while. I usually try to find the branches with slightly thicker stems, and sometimes "woody" stems.

Usually I plan on the clones taking anywhere from 1-3 weeks to root, as it seems to be strain dependent. For instance the black cherry soda strain I have roots very very quickly as same as the ogiesel, but then strains like my GSC take pretty much the full 3 weeks to root, so I think it is strain dependant.

My success rate usually is fairly good when the plants I take the clones from are vibrant and happy, I would say about 90% success, however when the plant I take them from is weak or ill like my GSC I just recently grew, the success rate is probably closer to 25-50%. I generally don't have a back up plan, but try to take 2-3 cuts of each plant which should guarantee that at least 1 roots based on my success rates. If for some reason they don't root, then I just take more cuts and try again. One thing I have noticed is that my clones seem to root better under a 6500K CFL than they do under LED. I have much worse success rates with clones rooting under LED for some reason, not sure why.

As for flipping to flowering, its really grow dependant. I typically go at least 2 months and wait until the plants are over 2' tall before the flip, however on this grow since I'm really more concerned with picking the right phenotype over a hardy yield, I probably will flip once I know that all the clones rooted, so 2 weeks probably. I don't really have an indicator when to flip. Usually its dependent on other things such as, how much meds I have left from last grow, how many other plants will need to use the space or are overgrowing their spaces, for my past couple grows it has been determined by light testing, when the lights arrive, and things related to my light tests... Really I don't have a set of rules persay, but I did read somewhere that after your plants reach 24", each inch after this has an exponential yield amount that grows larger with each inch before flowering. I haven't tested this theory but makes sense.

I know my answers in regards to this are non specific, which is kind of not like me... LOL but hope that it helps ya out :)

You made me proud Icemud. I knew I was asking a lot of questions that required more subjective answers than you're used to having to deal with. I figured you'd give it all your best shot and you didn't dissapoint.

So taking extra cuts is kind of a backup plan all on its own, wouldn't you agree?

I was intrigued by your statement about exponential yield after 24" prior to flowering. I think I'd have a hard time holding off that long. LOL! New cultivators are usually eager to get on with it. After a couple more grows I should settle in more comfortably. I was trying to copy Graytail with my Carnival and flipped her today at around 14" I think. Didn't bother to measure. :oops:

When I read that I thought "Drat! Should have waited!" :laughtwo: I don't yet have the lights to grow like that. I was smart to toss her in there today. My first flip Icemud. Hahaha! I've been giggly about it all day. :battingeyelashes:

Thank you for the dedication to conquer my list. You're one of my :420: heroes. :hug: :kisstwo:

You made me proud Icemud. I knew I was asking a lot of questions that required more subjective answers than you're used to having to deal with. I figured you'd give it all your best shot and you didn't dissapoint.

So taking extra cuts is kind of a backup plan all on its own, wouldn't you agree?

I was intrigued by your statement about exponential yield after 24" prior to flowering. I think I'd have a hard time holding off that long. LOL! New cultivators are usually eager to get on with it. After a couple more grows I should settle in more comfortably. I was trying to copy Graytail with my Carnival and flipped her today at around 14" I think. Didn't bother to measure. :oops:

When I read that I thought "Drat! Should have waited!" :laughtwo: I don't yet have the lights to grow like that. I was smart to toss her in there today. My first flip Icemud. Hahaha! I've been giggly about it all day. :battingeyelashes:

Thank you for the dedication to conquer my list. You're one of my :420: heroes. :hug: :kisstwo:

Yep, the extra cuts is the backup plan for sure :) usually I always get more rooted then needed so then I just give the extra's away to friends.

I can't remember where I read that about the exponential yield after 24", but I think it was here at 420 magazine, but was at least 3 or 4 years ago so I can't remember the source or the legitimacy of it. It was always some knowledge that just stuck and I accepted without questioning it or researching it much. Fortunately and unfortunately most of my research is done in lighting, so I'm more "up" on the research with that, then with other things... (which I should be)haha...

It will be interested to see how the tangies react, being that currently they are only about 16" tall. I'm wondering if they will do just as well because when I grow the larger plants in the 5 gallon pots, it seems that late in flowering then need supplemental nutrients, so maybe with them being shorter, they may be able to get by on limited nutrient supplementation... will be interesting :)

Thank you for your sweetness Sue! always much appreciated :)

Back
Top Bottom