Icemud's LED Grow - The Tangie Pheno Hunt

Update time....

The Tangie Tent.... 3T!!!!!

The tangies are doing pretty good and all of the budsites are growing leaves pretty fast as it only has been 3 days since they were topped :) I did make one slight mistake before topping them as I watered them slightly more than they should, so the soil is still pretty moist and may not need to be watered for another week. I really want those roots to develop so I've been just giving them a very very mild foliar feeding every other day to assist them, mostly bvitamins, some calcium, fish fertz and some potassium silicate and micronutrients, but in very very low doses.

I'm actually surprised how fast they are reacting and growing all the nodes and shouldn't be long before I have some nice bushes in there, and can take some clones :) I'm thinking probably when I get back from my vacation mid month I will clone them but it will really be determined when I'm ready to flower and how large they get in the next 2 weeks.

I am running my lights right now with the white/blue channel on full, and the red channel at about 1/4 power, which gives me anywhere from 350umol in the very corners to around 550 in the middle which is more than is needed for veg. I have the lights as far up as I can get them so I get a good blend of the different wavelength diodes as well as a more even coverage then when the lights are close up. I will let the plants decide how they want to respond :)

Most likely on this grow I am not going to grow them as tall as I normally do which usually exceeds 22" before flowering, I am just going to get them large enough to clone, make sure the clones all root and then flower them. I am doing this for 2 reasons... I don't want this grow to take very long with an extended veg period as my main concern is getting a clone of each and getting buds to compare so I can select a pheno... also I still don't know the sexes of them so I will most likely be removing at least a couple of the plants.. not sure exactly what strain it is so I don't know how good the success with the seeds are.. the guy I get them from knows the guys from DNA genetics fairly well, so I am guessing this is where he got the seeds, as he has given me other DNA "test" seeds in the past.. (still in my vault) I do know they are tangie something...haha

Well on to the photos...

I tried to include the plant number in each photo and will try to always take the photos in the same order so we all can compare as they grow and mature...

So far I love the leaves on plant number 5... I've never seen any leaves like that on anything I have grown before...very thin and spiky...cool looking pheno... :) also very branchy :) I hope that one turns out to be female... cause I love the look and structure already :)

IMG_20150902_003743.jpg
IMG_20150902_003810.jpg
IMG_20150902_003822.jpg
IMG_20150902_003835.jpg
IMG_20150902_003848.jpg
IMG_20150902_003854.jpg
IMG_20150902_003904.jpg
IMG_20150902_003909.jpg
IMG_20150902_003914.jpg
IMG_20150902_003918.jpg
IMG_20150902_003923.jpg

As far as my other 2 tents... a few things to update...

So I decided that since right now I am not doing anything with the black cherry soda, and I have to large mothers, I decided to cull one of them to make room for the other strains I have going. I want to slowly condense most of the strains to my all blue tent/mother tent so that it will leave room in my tangie clones that I will be taking in a few weeks. So since I had 2 of the newer strains in 5 gallon pots I took the blue dream and the fire og and placed them into the all blue/mother tent as well as 1 of the 2 GDP seedlings I have slowly coming along. I wanted to see if the extra blue light would speed up the seedling and since I have 2 which are closely the same in size and leaf mass I decided I would try it to see what happens.

In my mother/all blue tent (even though its not all blue anymore, I still will call it that) I noticed that the black cherry soda, harlequin, ogiesel and one of the GSC (thin mint) were all getting pretty tall so I gave them a good trimming, taking about 1' off some of the plants. I left the purple pheno GSC alone because it is struggling as it is and I am trying to let the soil dry out with it so that the roots can re-establish and it can thrive... I may have to clone it though it it gets any worse because its not looking too happy. All the others with some minor exceptions are looking really good :)

IMG_20150902_011017.jpg
IMG_20150902_011056.jpg
IMG_20150902_011106.jpg
IMG_20150902_011112.jpg
IMG_20150902_011117.jpg
IMG_20150902_011122.jpg
IMG_20150902_011129.jpg
IMG_20150902_011133.jpg
IMG_20150902_011137.jpg
IMG_20150902_011143.jpg

In my 3rd tent, I only have 3 plants now, the black diamond og, the area 51 and the seedling of the GDP. (and my aloe). I will be repotting the BD og and area 51 most likely tomorrow and putting them into 5 gallon pots. The GDP I will leave in the 3gallons until they grow large and establish good roots.

IMG_20150902_011403.jpg
IMG_20150902_011414.jpg
IMG_20150902_011418.jpg
IMG_20150902_011422.jpg

Nice aloe plant. Do you ever use aloe to root?

That #5 jumps right out of the group shot. So, you're looking for pleasing structure, vigor, color, growing temperament and the determinant, of course, is going to be quality of buds. Am I on the right course? Anything else I've missed?

It's a long, drawn-out treasure hunt. :laughtwo:

Nice aloe plant. Do you ever use aloe to root?

That #5 jumps right out of the group shot. So, you're looking for pleasing structure, vigor, color, growing temperament and the determinant, of course, is going to be quality of buds. Am I on the right course? Anything else I've missed?

It's a long, drawn-out treasure hunt. :laughtwo:

I havent used it yet but it will be on my to-do list for the next clones I take, well maybe not the next clones cause I want to go with my tried and true method with the clonex since I wont have a lot of branches to work with, but after this tangie grow, absolutely I will be trying it :) I know I have used it on myself before, great for cuts and burns :)

Yea pretty much you nailed it for what I will be looking for, mainly the buds will be the key, but also like you mentioned overall structure, ease of growth/temperament, speed of growth, speed of flowering, terpene/fragrance will be big for me...

Definitely #5 is sticking out at me as I love the look of the leaves, and the structure, #4 also has a very similar structure, but different leaves so its a very close 2nd place. :) watch them both be male..LOL

You just keep rolling along........Beautiful!:cheer::thumb:

Thanks OldMedMan!!!! Trying to keep it all organized :) lol I almost need 1 more tent :) lol... if only I can find room..haha

Quick update:

Since I culled 1 of my black cherry soda's yesterday I had 1 5 gallon square pot, so I transplanted my Area 51 into the 5 gallon pot, adding mycos to the roots before filling the pot in with the soil. I still have to get 3 more 5 gallon plastics from the hydro store, so I will most likely do that tomorrow since I will have the time. The only plant currently that needs to be transplanted is my Black Diamond OG so tomorrow I will be getting her into some better soil.

So my landlord is refinishing our storage units/carports and so I cleaned mine out and noticed that I had a 1/4 back of Promix HP still left. So I decided to dump all of it in my soil bin which was only about 1/3 full to give some new soil to the blend. I then amended it to cook with: crab shell meal (for the high calcium and chitin), alfalfa meal (for the N and K and for the PGRS), greensand which is for slow release K, gypsum (calcium sulfate), and added biominerals which is an excellent product from TandJ enterprises. Yesterday when I culled my black cherry soda, all of the leaves were also added to the soil bin for composting. I also added 4 cups of water to help give a little moisture to the soil and mixed in some biovam which is mycos and bacterias.

I'm also debating about culling my GSC cut (the purple mystery one) since I already have a GSC (thin mint pheno) which I like slightly better because it has more of an OG flavor to it. This would make room for my Black Diamond OG in my blue/mother tent, and since the 2 versions of GSC I have are so similar, there really isn't a point of having both since I favor the thin mints more. I think I will not make a quick decision on it and will make the call by next week. If the plant health gets worse then I will just cull it, but if it gets better I may keep it...

I also gave all the plants in all 3 tents a foliar feeding today... even though I don't like the MSDS on the Amaze product, it does work wonders, and since my plants are in veg still I figured I will use some...

So I filled up a old SNS spray bottle with R/O water and added (in very small amounts <5ml): vitamino (vitamins and aminos), carboload (6 chain sugars), Amaze, PGR, potassium silicate, potassium sulfate, epsom salt, earth juice micro...

All the girls got a good soaking.

I also had some pure r/o water bubbling and yesterday added some epsom salts as some of the plants had a slight Mg deficiency. I also noticed from my past grows that my soil is pretty much void of K, so I also added potassium sulfate (terpenator) to the water, and gave a 1/4 dose of dogget/simpson synthetics to help boost available nutrients. In the low amounts I am using I don't think it will harm my soil microlife, and I will be adding a compost tea before I leave for vacation next week which will replace any lost microbes anyways..

No photos today since I just took them yesterday but wanted to update on the changes I did today :)

all my cuttings that I used the aloe as a rooting gel has roots now
but
I will say
I have thrown in cuts without anything just plain water and got them to root
just takes awhile

all my cuttings that I used the aloe as a rooting gel has roots now
but
I will say
I have thrown in cuts without anything just plain water and got them to root
just takes awhile

That's good to know :)

I need to give that aloe more soil to sprall :)

Happy Labor Day Weekend Everyone!!!!

I hope everyone is out enjoying sun, fun, family, friends, greens and more! Make it a safe and happy holiday weekend!!!

I will be updating my journal later tonight with updated photos :)

I'll look forward to it. :battingeyelashes:

The audience is gathering Icemud. :cheesygrinsmiley:

Update time!!!!!

The Tangie Tent:

So everything is going great in the tangie tent, and the new growth on all the lower nodes is really starting to build and get larger which is good :) I've noticed a few leaves have a little bit of discoloration on a few of the plants but I think this is due to my overwatering when I topped them. I haven't watered them since my last update so today most of the pots were pretty dry. Since I leave for a vacation mid next week I gave them a light watering for now and will give them a heavy watering before I leave for my vacation. When I leave I also will be turning down the lights to the white/blue spectrum only to slow their uptake of water while I am gone and to keep the temps down in the grow area because I will not leave my windows open while gone. I'm not sure if I will have time before I leave to update again, but if I have the time I will :)

IMG_20150906_201523.jpg
IMG_20150906_201541.jpg
IMG_20150906_201553.jpg
IMG_20150906_201556.jpg
IMG_20150906_201605.jpg
IMG_20150906_201609.jpg
IMG_20150906_201617.jpg
IMG_20150906_201621.jpg
IMG_20150906_201625.jpg
IMG_20150906_201629.jpg

So I picked up a couple new bottle nutrients that I needed. I ran out of Earthjuice Catalyst which is an amazing product to add to teas, I also picked up some Meta K by earth juice as they were out of it last time I went to the store. I noticed that since my soil is very low in K, the plants have shown some K deficiency in mid flowering in my recycled soil so I think with this product plus a couple others I have on hand including terpenator and humbold nutrients duece duece I will be all good :)

I also wanted to try out a different Cal/mag product since I don't want to support General Hydroponics anymore after there merger with Miracle Gro, so I found a product by Humboldt Nutrients that is awesome... since I still try to focus on organic high brix growing, I was looking for a cal/mag with at least a 6:1 ratio of Ca:Mg.... well this product has it at 12% Ca and 2%Mg :) its also made of the same ingredients I use for my high brix soil which is soft rock phosphate and calcium carbonate....how cool is that to have it bottled :)

So my VEG/mothers tent:

Things in here are looking good from the harsh pruning I did last week. My GSC still is looking pretty beat up, but I did notice some new growth on her so I think she is recovering, just needs some TLC and for the soil to dry out. I gave all the girls a nice feeding today, but again only a low volume feeding because I will increase the amount right before I leave for vacation.

In this tent when I leave I will be turning off the Igro LED because, well I don't trust it and I don't want to come home to ashes... I will leave the 2 all blue lights on for the week I am gone, and the plants should be fine :)

IMG_20150906_201718.jpg
IMG_20150906_201725.jpg
IMG_20150906_201731.jpg
IMG_20150906_201745.jpg
IMG_20150906_201750.jpg
IMG_20150906_201755.jpg
IMG_20150906_201801.jpg
IMG_20150906_201807.jpg
IMG_20150906_201811.jpg
IMG_20150906_201817.jpg
IMG_20150906_201822.jpg

My 3rd tent...
Well in here I have my Black Diamond OG and my 2 GDP's... The GDP's are struggling as their soil has been very saturated for the past 2 weeks, and wasn't drying out, so I placed the 2 GDP's into my Tangie tent for a few days which runs hotter and also has circulation fans which my 3rd tent doesn't. Just 2 days dried out the soil really well so I think they will take off now that the roots aren't getting choked out. I'm just happy they are growing since I searched for so long to find GDP... and by the looks of the leaves forming, it seems to be the real deal from other photos I found.

IMG_20150906_2014261.jpg
IMG_20150906_2014441.jpg
IMG_20150906_2014341.jpg
IMG_20150906_2014381.jpg

Great update Icemud. Worth the wait with baited breath. Haha!

The #6 Tangie has beautiful leaves. They stood out to me as definitely more delightful than all the others.

I'm glad you're turning that light off. It's a trust your instinct thing. If we don't hear from you before, let me say now have a splendid vacation. :battingeyelashes: :love:

Looking good Ice. I have a question about lights if you don't mind. I have the diamond 350 xml's from advanced. There are two switches. One for white light and one for the blue/red light. I am only running the white one right now because I am in veg. Should I also run the blue/red one? I was under the impression that you run both during flower but only the white during veg. Sorry if you already have answered this in the previous journals.

Great update Icemud. Worth the wait with baited breath. Haha!

The #6 Tangie has beautiful leaves. They stood out to me as din timely more delightful than all th others.

I'm glad you're turning that light off. It's a trust your instinct thing. If we don't hear from you before, let me say now have a splendid vacation. :battingeyelashes: :love:

Thanks SweetSue!!! I probably will be on before I leave, but just not sure if I will have enough time to do a full blown update...but we will see... would be nice to have before/after photos to compare the growth while I'm gone :)

It will be a fun trip, back to sweet home Chicago :)

Yea so far #4, #5 and #6 look amazing to me, all different looking but all have nice features... :) I can't wait to see which ones turn out the best buds :) and also males..LOL

Looking good Ice. I have a question about lights if you don't mind. I have the diamond 350 xml's from advanced. There are two switches. One for white light and one for the blue/red light. I am only running the white one right now because I am in veg. Should I also run the blue/red one? I was under the impression that you run both during flower but only the white during veg. Sorry if you already have answered this in the previous journals.

Thanks Bamalabrat........! Well to answer your question... I'm not too sure... I mean if they are growing fine under just the white light I would leave them for now... If you notice that the plants are getting large and you need more light to the lower parts of the plant then you may want to turn on the red/blue. It wont hurt though if you do it now either. The more photons the light produces, the faster the photosynthesis rate.

There really isn't a right/wrong answer and you could do either... typically the more light the better :)

Definitely in flowering you want to run both at 100%, but for veg it really doesn't matter too much....

I'm leavin, on a jet plane, don't know when Ill be back again.....LOL

(actually I do) but the song popped into my head...

Well 1/2 hour till my taxi comes... wanted to do a quick hello and update...

Well I watered all the plants pretty thoroughly yesterday in prep for my 6 day trip. I dimmed all my LED lights, in the flowering tent I completely turned off the red so only the blue/white is on, (the blue white seems to produce less immediate waste heat, but more absorption heat) and in my blue tent I have only the blue led's going right now (don't trust those Igrows).

Other than that its going to be a hot 2 days here in Socal while I'm gone, up in the 90s, so hopefully the grow will stay cool enough not to freak out the plants. I'm really glad they are in veg and not flowering right now.

All the plants are looking really good though, new green growth, and nice leaf posture (didn't have time to get photos before I leave)

Other than that the GDP's are growing, but very very slow. Not sure if 1 of the 2 will make it as it seems to be a little hot of soil for the plants liking, but the other one seems to be thriving. I did see some white spots on the one GDP which looked as though a few little spider mites might have made it through the treatment (i didn't go overboard on the GDP because they were so young and delicate) so 2 days ago I doused them with Mite X and we will see what happens when I get back. I also took care of all the other plants in the tent with a spray so most likely that should do the trick :) none of the other plants showed any damage or any mites, so it may have just been previous damage I never noticed...

Anyhow... I can't wait to be back home in Chicago, and will see everyone next week!

Back
Top Bottom