Ilikebike's Pure Power Plant Soil Grow!

any advice on how to keep the water in the tub regulated? Do you think i could still use a humidity dome, because i dont think that the clones will be warm enough with out it, the ambient temperature of the room is relatively low so i need some way to boost up the temp. Could i just use a space heater set on low? or put a heat mat underneath the tub to warm the water up slightly.
CAN I RUN THE PUMP 24/7? some people say its ok, other people say use a timer. any help would be great thanks!

A few people run cloners on timers but 24/7 works as well. I'd say 24/7 first few days then like 1on 5off after someone with cloner knowledge would be a better candidate to answer that but 24/7 is fine. As for heating, If you use a space heater make sure not to point it at plants. Have it raise the ambient temp not direct heat. You should be fine if you do that .

ok so i got a 15mintue interval timer today. i have it set for 15 minutes on, 15 minutes off every half hour.

i saw the clones yesterday they were wilted, no discoloring (which might be a bad sign, doesn't that mean that the roots aren't pulling any nutrients from the leaves?)

I think i may have seen a tiny possible sign of roots when i took a few of the clones out of the peat moss pods, but it also may have just been a piece of stalk fiber.

Question

Im thinking about gettin a small 5gal aquarium tank heater for the inside of the clone chamber, it regulates the water temp at a constant 78*F, is this temperature too warm? will it form algae easier? the water in the clone machine will be changed every time we put a new batch of clones in, and the clones will only be in there for up to 7 days if everything works right.So do you think algae would build up that fast if the temp was a constant 78*F? i feel like that would be the perfect temp, but it may be a little to high, tell me what you think

Question 2
Im thinkin of buyin a 600nm 90watt ufo led light to flower, could i flower both my mother plants with that one led ufo? or should i buy 2?

Ideally, you will wanna keep it at about 75degrees. Algae needs two things. Warms temps and light to form so try not to peak too much into it. As for the wilting, that is caused when the plant isn't getting enough water or it isn't humid enough. Was it wilted before or after you put it into the cloner? If before the cloner should fix your will problem but giving enough moisture to the plant stem. If it was after, the plant isn't getting enough water and the on cycle should be longer to correct this problem. You want as much water and humidity as possible the first 3-5 days when root spikes are barely forming at the base. After that you can cut the humidity back a bit because you don't want to risk mold or stem rot.

There are plenty of variable you need to take into consideration by try to control things as best as possible. As long as the water is being moved constantly and doesn't have a chance to get stagnant you should be fine but changing the res once a week wouldn't be a bad Idea.

they were definatly gettin enough water, humidity was the problem, in the old clone chamber the humidity didnt get over 35* (i know not good) But now we got the 6 clones in the cloner, i havent seen them since last night but we put a humidity dome over the top, left the pump on 24/7 and put 2 15watt florecnet strip lights on a 18/6 time schedule, will have some updates soon....what do you think about that light?

The light is more than enough . clones don't need much light so minimal is fine. Some people don't even keep cloners in there clone room, they let the ambient light that comes from the grow root to catch the clones slightly and that's enough for clones to survive.

I think those UFO lights are just too small to get decent coverage and penetration that is needed. Like I was looking into the bigger LED's but really, I'm not the best choice to talk to when choosing LED lighting. I think SteveHman has a blog or a post on comparison of different LED. So you might wanna pm SteveHman or Mr.Krip to get the best info on that. I'm plenty more know about LED lighting its just they are the first that come to mind.

Just found your journal. nice going and I am really interested in PPP. As for your present cloning experiment. I like air temps around 80, even up to 84 or so. I dome my cuts for 4 days only. I spray then hardly at all and often I might not spray a run of cuts at all. I take cuttings just like you did though I tend to cut more leaf off than you did. I haven't used peat pods lately because I have been using straight vermiculite and getting 90% but have used the peat pellets. They can be kept overwet, I don't like to keep them in standing water. I will let them sit after I soak em and then drain the tray. My humidity stays under 40%. The reason for not spraying them much is that the coating of water slows transpiration down and we want the cut to be making every effort to establish roots, not absorb water thru the leaves. I use a Y connector and 2 26 watt CFL's to clone with and I begin with them 6-8 inches off the cuts. I want no air circulation other than what happens when I open the door. Oh yeah I run 16 hours of light, I feel the darkness eases the stress on the cutting. PPP is a beautiful plant and you have her going great. As for light in flower I have seen some really nice grows done with both HPS and metal halides in 400 Watt versions. The most magnificent grow I have seen was done under 1000 watt metal halides. I might also someday fool with a 600 watt though.

Im goin to check on my moms and the little babies tonight, so ill have some pictures but from what i hear 4 of the clones r doing great and 2 of them not so great.
I just picked up a 360watt HPS conversion bulb today. So im thinking of switching the light cycle of the mothers today. its been a soild 2 months since the seeds have been germinated. we will do the standard 12/12 cycle

I am also goin to put a 15 mintue interval timer on the clone machine as well today.

So i checked everything out today. still no sign of roots on the clones but it has only been a full 7 days since i cut them, and i also took them out of the peat pods to put them into the aero cloner so that probably shocked them a lil and stunted growth. but it is staying nice and humid under the humidity dome still. water temperature is about 80*F. Ambient temp is about 78*F. Also i put a 15 minute interval timer on the pump so it is only on for every other 15 minutes.
Im having a problem with the new conversion bulb i bought. It gets really hot after being on for about 4 minutes and then it shuts off. the ballast has a thermal protection thing on it so it could be shutting it off because the bulb is gettin so hot. The ballast itself isn't hot but the bulb could fry and egg on it. It gets super bright for about 4-5 minutes then shuts off for about 5 minutes, then turns back on. I asked a few people about it, say that the ballast is just to old which they are probably right. ballast must be at least 4 years old. So now i am goin to just buy a 400watt HPS package on amazon. one with a cool tube so i can fan cool the light. In time i will buy a new MH ballast and see if that bulb works. ill have pics of the clones up soon

PS: Clones still look healthy as all hell, slight discoloration on the tips of the leaves but the clones are already growing new shoots? but there is no roots formed yet how can that be?

IMG_20111108_205029.jpg
IMG_20111108_205035.jpg

Is the light colored mottling on the leaves from spraying water on them? If so I would use distilled water to wrinse it off and stop spraying them so much, you don't want to reduce the plants ability to respirate by coating the leaves with residue.

And about your bulb. I have balasts that are at least 20 years old and doing fine. I would exchange the bulb. Any defect that might cause the bulb to pop isn't worth the chance of getting super hot and sharp pieces of shrapnel in your eyes or in your skin.

I once had that exact problem, the ballast was a bit older as well, wasnt mine, never used it myself.
In the end the bulb was damaged, used a 250W bulb on 400W ballast. Unfortunately I never tried a new bulb on the old ballast so I can't tell I which on screwed the other up.
But I think the old ballast still works well.
Would in your case also replace bulb first, specially when it's an older one. Recheck cables and contact inside socket and stuff.

The clones look nice. Transplanting certainly gives stress. I think DrRW has a point there, the clones seem to need water and air through the leaves. It should start breaking down main nutrients from leaves for root growth.
Something like evaporating very fine drops of water. Creating mist rather than spraying large drops of water on the leaves. But probably keeping air humidity very high instead of spraying might do as well.

Guessing it might have to do with passive nutrient transport inside plant. The roots are the most active transporting part in plants, saying it decides what to take up from substrate and it costs energy, passive transport on the contrary goes without costing energy, but most likely also isn't controlled as well.

For me personally, I never mist my clones. My first set of clones were in rockwool but I cut the leaves back for transpiration purpose and I just kept it in a humidity dome for about 4Days then they got fresh air from there.

If they are still green that means they are getting water somehow. They will be fine.

Back
Top Bottom