In The Lab

Re: "In the Lab" with Doc Bud

Doc

I know you intended this to be an instructional journal, so I'll start with a procedure question.

I see back in post 12 where you discuss watering seedlings after transplant, then letting them get to the point of looking like they need water before watering again to build roots.

Any advice on watering when sowing direct in your soil? I don't want seedlings to look like they are starting to wilt before I water do I?

I started 2 seeds direct in your kit soil, and planted 2 3 day old sprouts. in 1/2 gl pots.
Sprinkled the root zone, and watered with the transplant mix.

The 2 started direct in your soil up in 3 days look so healthy for sprouts (6 days old now). They are like a glowing green.

The 1 transplanted sprout is doing fantastic too (12 days old). And 1 was real weak even before the transplant so I took her out and sowed another direct in her spot. I anticipate her arrival tomorrow.

Doc

I know you intended this to be an instructional journal, so I'll start with a procedure question.

I see back in post 12 where you discuss watering seedlings after transplant, then letting them get to the point of looking like they need water before watering again to build roots.

Any advice on watering when sowing direct in your soil? I don't want seedlings to look like they are starting to wilt before I water do I?

I started 2 seeds direct in your kit soil, and planted 2 3 day old sprouts. in 1/2 gl pots.
Sprinkled the root zone, and watered with the transplant mix.

The 2 started direct in your soil up in 3 days look so healthy for sprouts (6 days old now). They are like a glowing green.

The 1 transplanted sprout is doing fantastic too (12 days old). And 1 was real weak even before the transplant so I took her out and sowed another direct in her spot. I anticipate her arrival tomorrow.

I really like germing in 1/2 or even 1 gallon pots. After an initial watering, you've got to keep the top just a tad moist, so the seed germs and the emerging radicle has some moisture. However, even a seedling with two sets of immature leaves can have roots six inches long. So, yeah, let 'em get good and dry after the first small top waterings.

Update:

I am 100% encouraging the use of a leaf wash!

Here's what I did and I am PUMPED about the results:

1.)In five gallon bucket number 1: 30tbsp lemon juice, 60 tablespoons Baking soda
2.)In five gallon bucket number 2: RO water
3.)In five gallon bucket number 3: RO water

Cut branches off plants, remove fan leaves and nothing else.

Submerge and agitate freshly cut, untrimmed produce in each bucket for 30 seconds. ?Start with bucket 1 and proceed to bucket 3. On long cola's, attempt to spin the stem between your hands, especially when drying it out after the final dip.

Either trim and hang, or hang and trim later. I chose the latter method and found it was much easier than my usual trim/hang.

A lot of crap washed off these buds! And the flavor of the final product after the wash is unparallelled. It's everything I could want in weed....a step up from previous harvests that I thought were great.

I strongly encourage everyone to give this a try. Try it with a few buds if you're skeptical.

Doc

If you combine baking soda with vinegar it foams up a lot. Why doesn't this happen with the lemon juice? Isn't it real acidic also?

What kind of lemon juice? One of those squeeze lemons from the produce dept?

Was this dipping done even after you did the lemon/soda spray wash?

Lemon Drop Kush,,, I called it first,,,:laugh:

Doc

If you combine baking soda with vinegar it foams up a lot. Why doesn't this happen with the lemon juice? Isn't it real acidic also?

What kind of lemon juice? One of those squeeze lemons from the produce dept?

Was this dipping done even after you did the lemon/soda spray wash?

Lemon Drop Kush,,, I called it first,,,:laugh:

Vinegar is acetic acid.....lemon juice has a small amount of citric acid. The former is much stronger.....plus we're diluting the whole mess with lots of water.

I'm using el cheapo bottle of lemon juice from the grocery store. Citric acid could also be substituted.

I'm not going to bother with the plant wash with this solution. I'm going to try the lab's product, which they recommend every 2 weeks.

But honestly, I don't know how much even that is needed....unless there's deep residue on really dense buds. Maybe just one spray halfway through bloom. We'll play with it and figure it all out.

But from now on, I'm never going to harvest without washing it first.

Update:

I am 100% encouraging the use of a leaf wash!

Here's what I did and I am PUMPED about the results:

1.)In five gallon bucket number 1: 1.875 cups lemon juice, 3.75 cupsBaking soda
2.)In five gallon bucket number 2: RO water
3.)In five gallon bucket number 3: RO water

Cut branches off plants, remove fan leaves and nothing else.

Submerge and agitate freshly cut, untrimmed produce in each bucket for 30 seconds. ?Start with bucket 1 and proceed to bucket 3. On long cola's, attempt to spin the stem between your hands, especially when drying it out after the final dip.

Either trim and hang, or hang and trim later. I chose the latter method and found it was much easier than my usual trim/hang.

A lot of crap washed off these buds! And the flavor of the final product after the wash is unparallelled. It's everything I could want in weed....a step up from previous harvests that I thought were great.

I strongly encourage everyone to give this a try. Try it with a few buds if you're skeptical.

Edited for the Americans ;) lol.. can't get mad at me I wasn't born here but I live here haha
Blogging this for use after cut!

Just like veggies :) makes perfect sense to me.

Any thoughts on using bloomit along with the new drench Doc?

I just plucked fan leaves, washed, rinsed and hung the freakish Jack Herer plant. The buds were so plump and the leaves are super hydrated after the washing. They look beautiful. I wish I had my camera. I'll get some pics tomorrow of Lemon Paki harvest.

I also harvested a lemon paki today.

Some other news. The cherry pie I harvested last week, washed and hung, was manicured today. 3 1/2 ounces and it won't even fill a quart mason jar. The buds feel like they were epoxied, but they burn super clean and have the best flavor yet. I finally get the "cherry" part of cherry pie. Back to the yield, these are the densest buds I've grown thus far, due solely to the resin. I'll get picks of these tomorrow too.

You guys aren't going to believe how cool the bud washing is....you have to try it!

Regarding using Bloomit, I've given it a lot of thought and I'm going to give it a try. The question is when to use it?

The post mortem on the Lemon Paki that got the cationic drench in early bloom shows a bud structure of nothing but swollen calyx's....no pistils. I wonder.....I don't know the answer to this....but I wonder if pistils are more to the vegetative side of the blooming process?

I say this because if those pistils get pollinated they die and the calyx swells up with a seed. That's the true reproductive portion of the bloom cycle.

So, could it be that using a soil drench that strongly stimulates seed production could hinder pistil formation and encourage calyx swelling? Sounds logical. It also sounds like I'm high...which is also true. Scissor hash from the cherry pie manicure.

Anyways, I think we need to experiment with using bloomit at different times in the grow cycle, but I'm going to try to optimize the timing of the cationic soil drench first, as it had such a profound effect on the crop.

Wow....long post. Drifted off a bit there.

So, let me know if you work with it a bit. BTW, don't ever mix Amaze with Brix. Burned holes in my leaves.....not good.

Edited for the Americans ;) lol.. can't get mad at me I wasn't born here but I live here haha
Blogging this for use after cut!

Lol....I used tablespoons. haha.

I was writing that post in chunks at work, and I was doing math to go from tblspn per cup to gallons...and I didn't finish my math and just typed it out.

You gonna try the leaf wash? Bro, I hope you do, you're gonna love it. This is a real-life good idea. I haven't heard of this being done before, but I predict you're gonna hear about it from now on....unless something bad I'm not aware of happens. The buds dried perfectly and will cure great. I think it's a winner.

Definetly giving it a whirl. Ill do some side by sides etc when it goes down. But anything I can do to make the hash that much cleaner u better believe ill go all out lol. I'm kinda embarrassed to admit that I had never even thought of an organic leaf wash at harvest. Reps to u sir.

I just plucked fan leaves, washed, rinsed and hung the freakish Jack Herer plant. The buds were so plump and the leaves are super hydrated after the washing. They look beautiful. I wish I had my camera. I'll get some pics tomorrow of Lemon Paki harvest.

I also harvested a lemon paki today.

Some other news. The cherry pie I harvested last week, washed and hung, was manicured today. 3 1/2 ounces and it won't even fill a quart mason jar. The buds feel like they were epoxied, but they burn super clean and have the best flavor yet. I finally get the "cherry" part of cherry pie. Back to the yield, these are the densest buds I've grown thus far, due solely to the resin. I'll get picks of these tomorrow too.

You guys aren't going to believe how cool the bud washing is....you have to try it!

Regarding using Bloomit, I've given it a lot of thought and I'm going to give it a try. The question is when to use it?

The post mortem on the Lemon Paki that got the cationic drench in early bloom shows a bud structure of nothing but swollen calyx's....no pistils. I wonder.....I don't know the answer to this....but I wonder if pistils are more to the vegetative side of the blooming process?

I say this because if those pistils get pollinated they die and the calyx swells up with a seed. That's the true reproductive portion of the bloom cycle.

So, could it be that using a soil drench that strongly stimulates seed production could hinder pistil formation and encourage calyx swelling? Sounds logical. It also sounds like I'm high...which is also true. Scissor hash from the cherry pie manicure.

Anyways, I think we need to experiment with using bloomit at different times in the grow cycle, but I'm going to try to optimize the timing of the cationic soil drench first, as it had such a profound effect on the crop.

Wow....long post. Drifted off a bit there.

So, let me know if you work with it a bit. BTW, don't ever mix Amaze with Brix. Burned holes in my leaves.....not good.

You don't sound high to me. Then again I am too...lol

I was thinking flipping the switch from veg to flower and keeping it flipped and just use bloomit and the reproductive drench together along with brix weekly. I've noticed that in late bloom my plants didn't get stressed in my grow so there was really no reason to spray it. So I'll see what bloomit does to this CVK that has about 4 weeks left in flower. I'll also use bloomit exclusively on one blueberry gum that is just starting to flower now, just for conversations sake :)

You don't sound high to me. Then again I am too...lol

I was thinking flipping the switch from veg to flower and keeping it flipped and just use bloomit and the reproductive drench together along with brix weekly. I've noticed that in late bloom my plants didn't get stressed in my grow so there was really no reason to spray it. So I'll see what bloomit does to this CVK that has about 4 weeks left in flower. I'll also use bloomit exclusively on one blueberry gum that is just starting to flower now, just for conversations sake :)

Sounds like a plan....
From what I can tell, the ionic drench has had the most effect so far. Bloomit has pretty much the same stuff in it....

I just started (3-12-13) 6 clones using Doc's brix mix.
My lighting schedule will be the gaslight method (read about that on the last Icemud grow journal).
I'll probably try to scrogg too when it's time to flower.

I used a 10' x 8 ' tarp to mix the ProMix with the kit amendments inside my house.
It was a little easier for me to break up the ProMix using a small plastic shovel instead of in large garbage cans.

I made mashed potato type mounds and mixed the gravy in that way; worked very well and then I wrapped it up like a big present.
Having a big pile of mix made it really easy to fill my pots for the clones and it will make it easier for me to fill the 7 gal pots using the plastic shovel.

The directions (I copy/pasted from this thread into a Word file) were easy to follow with the initial mix and doing the clones (4 Cheese and 2 Dipsey Ellsey) and will be easy to follow for the rest of the grow.

I work from home online doing search engine optimization and building WordPress websites for clients. And I have my own sites selling all kinds of stuff. When I get a chance, I'll build a Brix Mix WordPress site and chronicle this grow then try and start a grow journal here at 420 with the same/similar information.

So far so good.

Thanks for reading!

High Brix Kit “Quick Start” Guide

The soil takes about 30 days to condition. During that time, nothing should be planted, and the soil should be placed in a container that will allow moisture to remain. A plastic tub or barrel is perfect. There is no substitution for “cooking” the soil!

However, there is a little trick we can employ that will allow us to plant now....and grow starts until the main soil is ready.

We use the Root Zone product in order to do this. This is not the product contained in the kit....it's an extra amount that must be ordered. Here's what to do:

1.)use 6 containers, ½ gallon in size.
2.)Take Root Zone and either divide it 6 ways or not.....your choice.
3.)Fill each container with ProMix HP Mycorrhiza, then dump soil into mixing tub. You can do one at a time or all 6 together.....your choice. The idea is to use 3 gallons of soil....either a half gallon at a time or all together, depending on the number of plants.
4.)completely mix the Root Zone product into the soil.

Now you have pre-mixed, pre-cooked soil! Treat this new soil exactly as if you had cooked it for a month.

Using this, follow the directions in the kit, water with transplant water, etc.

By the time the plants are ready to transplant, the main soil will have had time to compost!

The extra Root Zone product must be specified at the time of order, otherwise extra shipping must be charged.

Can anybody help with my cuttings. I use root riot plugs{slightly moist} in a humidity dome with a heat matt ,light spray of stress daily but cuttings wilt in a few days .what am i doing wrong .i dip cuttings in clonex when i take them.

Back
Top Bottom