InTheShed Grows Inside & Out: Jump In Any Time

You did an accidental one and I can't even get an on-purpose one going! Thanks DrD. :)
Try darkness. For me one branch got caught under my scrog net after I adjusted something like 3 weeks into flowering. So it was just one branch in the dark shade for the last 5-6 weeks and that branch turned fully male. Only the larf under the scrog net got pollinated so it worked out well for me and didn't ruin many nice buds. It was the 10th clone of that plant and the only one that ever had any male parts so I don't think I really have to worry about hermie issues with the offspring but I'm just now growing my first two so we'll see.

:passitleft:

Try darkness. For me one branch got caught under my scrog net after I adjusted something like 3 weeks into flowering. So it was just one branch in the dark shade for the last 5-6 weeks and that branch turned fully male. Only the larf under the scrog net got pollinated so it worked out well for me and didn't ruin many nice buds. It was the 10th clone of that plant and the only one that ever had any male parts so I don't think I really have to worry about hermie issues with the offspring but I'm just now growing my first two so we'll see.
Interesting! So if I cover one branch in flower with a dark bag with tiny holes for air at the bottom, I might be able to get it to reverse? I'll try that with my next flipped Candida and see if it works!

Phew. I just caught up after days and days away. I don't know how you do it man. Your own thread is so completely comprehensive with tons of interesting and educational side discussions, and then you're all over the place in a bunch of threads helping people out. You should probably be getting paid, lol. Anyway, your plants look amazing. That Jack Herer is making me salivate. I learned a ton on training just in the several pages of catching up as you covered that pretty extensively. I've never topped above the 9th node for example, duh, why not. Saw that and noted it. Also, never kept a plant in a one for 40 days before!!!! That's insane! I'm doing a similar thing with the Apple Blossom right now, who is in the exact same pot (the black plastic one) and is going to the exact same 7 you use (nice pots, wish they had handles), only mine will stop in a three on the way to the 7 for a while. Lol. Anyway, nice to know that can be done. I tend to jump the gun a little bit. The DV is looking just so sweet, can't wait to see what her buds look like. Any strain named after a dude tends to be pretty special, just look at your sweet ass Jack.

Anyway, sorry I've been so focused on my own stuff and haven't stopped by recently. You know my deal.

Also I really dug the part about how you remove buds at that point that aren't going to make the cut. If I had done a bunch more of that in the tent on those photos my yield would likely have been much higher. I had already made note of that for my grow on my own, but then to see that whole discussion cemented my fledgling observation/thought. You da man.

Phew. I just caught up after days and days away. I don't know how you do it man. Your own thread is so completely comprehensive with tons of interesting and educational side discussions, and then you're all over the place in a bunch of threads helping people out. You should probably be getting paid, lol. Anyway, your plants look amazing. That Jack Herer is making me salivate. I learned a ton on training just in the several pages of catching up as you covered that pretty extensively. I've never topped above the 9th node for example, duh, why not. Saw that and noted it. Also, never kept a plant in a one for 40 days before!!!! That's insane! I'm doing a similar thing with the Apple Blossom right now, who is in the exact same pot (the black plastic one) and is going to the exact same 7 you use (nice pots, wish they had handles), only mine will stop in a three on the way to the 7 for a while. Lol. Anyway, nice to know that can be done. I tend to jump the gun a little bit. The DV is looking just so sweet, can't wait to see what her buds look like. Any strain named after a dude tends to be pretty special, just look at your sweet ass Jack.

Anyway, sorry I've been so focused on my own stuff and haven't stopped by recently. You know my deal.
Thanks for stopping by during your break from trim jail! Glad there are some tidbits to pick up here too...I try to detail my process and reasoning as much as I can for anyone interested. I hope some of it's useful to somebody!
Also I really dug the part about how you remove buds at that point that aren't going to make the cut. If I had done a bunch more of that in the tent on those photos my yield would likely have been much higher. I had already made note of that for my grow on my own, but then to see that whole discussion cemented my fledgling observation/thought. You da man.
Yeah I posted about that in your thread when I saw your comment about larf. Works for peaches, works for cannabis. :thumb:
Oh yeah, I couldn't resist this: we can still see the Rh numbers.
LOL! I just didn't want anyone distracted by them since they're about 40% low. :) I felt like a fool when I noticed that I hadn't taken it off the soil before I watered the plant a few years back. :rolleyes: On the plus side the temperature seems to still work fine!

Thanks for stopping by during your break from trim jail! Glad there are some tidbits to pick up here too...I try to detail my process and reasoning as much as I can for anyone interested. I hope some of it's useful to somebody!

Yeah I posted about that in your thread when I saw your comment about larf. Works for peaches, works for cannabis. :thumb:

LOL! I just didn't want anyone distracted by them since they're about 40% low. :) I felt like a fool when I noticed that I hadn't taken it off the soil before I watered the plant a few years back. :rolleyes: On the plus side the temperature seems to still work fine!
LOL! I hadn't yet seen that in my thread, thanks, I'll look for it.

Hey Shed I have a training/counting nodes question I'm sure you'll know the answer to. So I just today topped my Apple Blossom above the fourth node, her first topping. When the two main cola branches I now created begin to grow upwards and develop nodes, is that where I would begin counting? So like the first actual set of leaves on the new two colas is my 5th node? Or is it the 6th since technically I chopped the 5th off? I intend to take a page from your playbook and top both these main colas again, and since they're going to be in veg through a 1 to 3 to 7 up potting, I have time to do whatever. So if I wanted to top them above the 9th node as you did in your post, would that be topping the new colas above their 4th set of new leaves?

Do those questions make sense? Lol?

Hey Shed I have a training/counting nodes question I'm sure you'll know the answer to. So I just today topped my Apple Blossom above the fourth node, her first topping. When the two main cola branches I now created begin to grow upwards and develop nodes, is that where I would begin counting? So like the first actual set of leaves on the new two colas is my 5th node? Or is it the 6th since technically I chopped the 5th off? I intend to take a page from your playbook and top both these main colas again, and since they're going to be in veg through a 1 to 3 to 7 up potting, I have time to do whatever. So if I wanted to top them above the 9th node as you did in your post, would that be topping the new colas above their 4th set of new leaves?

Do those questions make sense? Lol?
Here's my take: When I say that I'm topping above the 9th node, that just means that there are 9 nodes left on the plant from the soil. I don't top after that, only train. If you were to top after that I don't think you'd be counting nodes unless you were doing specific training techniques to hit a specific number of tops in the end.

[I topped the DV above the 9th node and took the first two off, leaving me with 7 nodes or 14 branches.]

So once you top your Apple Blossom above the 4th node, that leaves you with 4 nodes (8 branches). If you want to top again (and felt the need to count) you would probably begin counting again on each node, because the second node on a topped branch is not the same as two more on the original trunk. When someone says they topped at the 6th (5th, 4th...) that means on the trunk rather than side growth.

Here's my take: When I say that I'm topping above the 9th node, that just means that there are 9 nodes left on the plant from the soil. I don't top after that, only train. If you were to top after that I don't think you'd be counting nodes unless you were doing specific training techniques to hit a specific number of tops in the end.

[I topped the DV above the 9th node and took the first two off, leaving me with 7 nodes or 14 branches.]

So once you top your Apple Blossom above the 4th node, that leaves you with 4 nodes (8 branches). If you want to top again (and felt the need to count) you would probably begin counting again on each node, because the second node on a topped branch is not the same as two more on the original trunk. When someone says they topped at the 6th (5th, 4th...) that means on the trunk rather than side growth.
Gotcha, and thanks. The last part - that's what I was wondering too I guess. The branches that develop once you top are no longer considered trunk connected in terms of nodal counting and such. I feel the need to understand, not necessarily to count. But also glad you tossed in not to top above the 9th node. You said a lot in a few words.

:thumb:

Gotcha, and thanks. The last part - that's what I was wondering too I guess. The branches that develop once you top are no longer considered trunk connected in terms of nodal counting and such. I feel the need to understand, not necessarily to count. But also glad you tossed in not to top above the 9th node. You said a lot in a few words.wha

:thumb:
How do you think it would work out if I let the two main colas I now have grow out maybe three nodes or so and then supercropped both of them in opposite directions? Would that give me, in theory, a nice strong trunk up to the topping point, and then two very strong main branches to help hold the top up? Do people do this?

I made an attempt to keep the heat in the Oval of Brightness® last night just before lights out.
That’s some redneck engineering or perhaps “necessity is the mother of invention” is more appropriate. Either way, let us know how it works out.

And finally, when I upcanned the Doug's Varin to 7 gallons I trimmed off the first node. Today I trimmed off the second and stuck the branches in perlite to see how long/if these take!
We’ll be waiting.

The sun hasn't been out much this week
As an outdoor grower, I feel your pain.

But also glad you tossed in not to top above the 9th node. You said a lot in a few words.
Thanks Jon! I may have said a lot in a few words but I hope I didn't indicate never to top above the 9th node.

I usually top there because that's how I train my plants to get them big but still be able to fit through the shed door. @BeezLuiz tops lower and grows much bigger outside plants than I do. His just don't go through doors (lucky guy!). And topping taller is just as valid a method if you have time and space.
How do you think it would work out if I let the two main colas I now have grow out maybe three nodes or so and then supercropped both of them in opposite directions? Would that give me, in theory, a nice strong trunk up to the topping point, and then two very strong main branches to help hold the top up? Do people do this?
I'm not sure I'm following you here. When you say two main colas it sounds like you might be considering everything below the top node as less than. If you check out my Jack Herer you can see all but the very lowest nodes are just as tall and strong as the upper ones.

That said, no reason you can't supercrop your tops to get more tops. I often supercrop my branches to fill in empty space with more growth. As a matter of fact I have an entire thread on it in my sig!
That’s some redneck engineering or perhaps “necessity is the mother of invention” is more appropriate. Either way, let us know how it works out.
I'll know how last night went in there as soon as I make it out to the shed!
We’ll be waiting.
From past experience, we could be waiting a really long time. :rolleyes: Odds are good I'll get roots in any cuttings stuck in ProMix before these do anything.
As an outdoor grower, I feel your pain.
I know right? And even when the sun is out the plants are only in it for about 6 hours a day this time of year. Someone remind me next winter not to flip in October!

Friday update, where we get to see the chilly un-bulked Sour G and Jack Herer!

Temps in the shed weren't much better, so I will be bumping the heat tonight to see if that helps. This is around 260w/hour:

Just to show you how lollipopping drives growth to the tops, here is the Candida I thinned last week:

And here are the two in flower (both on flip day 47), starting with the Jack Herer:

And the Sour G:

There's no weight on these branches and I'm not sure that they will bulk up this late even if I do get the shed temps sorted, but they are frosty and stink up the entire backyard!

I hope your week went well and the weekend looks sunny and bright. I'll be out much of this afternoon but I will catch up with y'all later. :ciao:

Quote:
Rednecks in Cal. LOL
Har! It is a huge state with every type of person covering every stereotype imaginable, so we might even have more rednecks than Alabama. :thumb:

Hey Shed! I think the Chocolope might be almost ready but I still don't have the eye for it. What do you reckon, another week?
IMG_20211218_030142.jpg
IMG_20211218_030041.jpg

Hey Shed! I think the Chocolope might be almost ready but I still don't have the eye for it. What do you reckon, another week?
Well from those pics that is one set of cloudy-only trichomes with hardly any clear or amber...I'd call it peak THC! If you prefer to wait for some amber then give it another week, but with so few clears in there I don't think it's going to get any stronger for waiting.

Temps in the shed weren't much better, so I will be bumping the heat tonight to see if that helps.
What are your night time temperatures and what temp are you looking for in the Oval of Brightness®?

Also do you have a salt system/chlorine generator on your hot tub?

Back
Top Bottom