InTheShed Grows Inside & Out: Jump In Any Time

What are your night time temperatures and what temp are you looking for in the Oval of Brightness®?
I'd love to get a low of 65º in there at night, and outside temps have been in the low 40s but are moving up a wee bit these days.
temps.JPG

Also do you have a salt system/chlorine generator on your hot tub?
I don't. I add chlorine every morning using plain bleach. Makes the water pretty salty over time, but not in a way that acts as a disinfectant.

but they are frosty and stink up the entire backyard
They may not be your largest harvest but I’d bet they will support some extremely flavorful smoke for the family members that partake.
:drool:

Shed, your ladies are looking really nice (as usual).

Excellent commentary the past few days on topping / training / pruning.
I read a comment a while back (I think it was someone here) who said "I'm not growing plants, or leaves, or flowers; I'm growing trichomes. I'm growing THC."
If you think about this during the entire grow process it becomes clear how important it is to properly train your plants in order to maximize yield and deliver a quality product.

This hobby is not just growing weeds. It is an art form.
And Shed, you my friend are an artist!

They may not be your largest harvest but I’d bet they will support some extremely flavorful smoke for the family members that partake.
Thanks Nev! I've got two goals for this grow: I'm hoping that the Jack Herer is a good enough representation so that we'll know if it lives up to reputation (I've got a clone going if it does), and to have some Sour G to be able to compare to the droughted plant.

We'll see!
Shed, your ladies are looking really nice (as usual).

Excellent commentary the past few days on topping / training / pruning.
I read a comment a while back (I think it was someone here) who said "I'm not growing plants, or leaves, or flowers; I'm growing trichomes. I'm growing THC."
If you think about this during the entire grow process it becomes clear how important it is to properly train your plants in order to maximize yield and deliver a quality product.

This hobby is not just growing weeds. It is an art form.
And Shed, you my friend are an artist
That's very nice of you to say Grateful, thanks! Training and trimming are really everything once nutrition is sorted, and once you find a method that works there's no shame in sticking with it.

But different methods will work for different growers, which is why I'll always say "This is what I do," and I explain why. But some folks like larf I guess! :cheesygrinsmiley:

... I've got two goals for this grow: I'm hoping that the Jack Herer is a good enough representation so that we'll know if it lives up to reputation (I've got a clone going if it does), and to have some Sour G to be able to compare to the droughted plant.
Shed,

Are you growing Jack Herer from Sensi Seeds? I grew Jack two years ago, and the end-product certainly justified its reputation of a "perfectly" balanced hybrid. I would grow her again next year... Why droughted? Not enough water?

Jack Herer from Sensi Seeds? I grew Jack two years ago, and the end-product certainly justified its reputation of a "perfectly" balanced hybrid. I would grow her again next year... Why droughted? Not enough water?
Yeah who is the breeder of the Jack you have? Jack is on my short list for the outdoor monster grow plant selection in the spring, and everyone has a version. I want the best and purest version. It's my favorite strain ever, although depending on how good it is, Super Silver Haze is up there too. Both have a similar thing going that I find irresistible in the terpenes. Drives me nuts. I could pick Jack out of a 20 strain lineup with my eyes closed. So I am hoping for you that yours comes out "the way it's supposed to," if there is such a thing. I know what you're looking for. Hope you get it. You will. That plant looks amazing. I'm sure you know the whole who Jack Herer was and what he did for pot cultivation, etc. thing, right? The whole thing fascinates me and led to this mighty strain. Good luck man.

I'd love to get a low of 65º in there at night, and outside temps have been in the low 40s but are moving up a wee bit these days.
temps.JPG

I don't. I add chlorine every morning using plain bleach. Makes the water pretty salty over time, but not in a way that acts as a disinfectant.
Haha we have the exact opposite problems shed :) I have to let my tap water sit for at least 12 hours to evaporate chlorine and you need to add it to your water hehe

Are you growing Jack Herer from Sensi Seeds? I grew Jack two years ago, and the end-product certainly justified its reputation of a "perfectly" balanced hybrid. I would grow her again next year... Why droughted? Not enough water?
Hey Emeraldo and :welcome: to my perpetual grow journal! Nice to have you drop in. The Jack Herer is from @Weed Seeds Express where I get a lot of my seeds these days. The Doug's Varin is theirs as well.

I went with the JH because hybrids seem to be a favorite in my house, so I was looking for another winner. The two faves so far here are both crosses from members/former members here: DTF from Van Stank (Alaskan Thunderfuck x Durban Poison) and Sour G from Rooster (Sour Diesel x GG4 x THC Bomb).

Droughting is a technique for stressing the plants late in flower, and with that stress comes a measurable increase in THC and CBD (if it's in the genetics). The discussion of it in this thread starts here with a great post by @Maritimer on the process. The process is based on Deron Caplan's original research.

Martimer has a whole thread on it here with great research on increasing resin content through drought, along with using MeJA (methyl jasmonate) on his plants.:

Yeah who is the breeder of the Jack you have?
The one time I don't mention WSE is the one time people want to know!
Haha we have the exact opposite problems shed I have to let my tap water sit for at least 12 hours to evaporate chlorine and you need to add it to your water hehe
LOL! The chlorine is for the hot tub. :cheesygrinsmiley:
Plant look Great shed , do you leave the heat on all day ? It don't take much as you know to cool it off when the sun drops '
Thanks sb! The heat goes on in the shed as soon as I move the plants in there around 3:30pm, which is when the sun drops below the roof next door this time of year. On the plus side, the days start getting longer next week!

Hey Emeraldo and :welcome: to my perpetual grow journal! Nice to have you drop in. The Jack Herer is from @Weed Seeds Express where I get a lot of my seeds these days. The Doug's Varin is theirs as well.

I went with the JH because hybrids seem to be a favorite in my house, so I was looking for another winner. The two faves so far here are both crosses from members/former members here: DTF from Van Stank (Alaskan Thunderfuck x Durban Poison) and Sour G from Rooster (Sour Diesel x GG4 x THC Bomb).

Droughting is a technique for stressing the plants late in flower, and with that stress comes a measurable increase in THC and CBD (if it's in the genetics). The discussion of it in this thread starts here with a great post by @Maritimer on the process. The process is based on Deron Caplan's original research.

Martimer has a whole thread on it here with great research on increasing resin content through drought, along with using MeJA (methyl jasmonate) on his plants.:

Thanks for the welcome sign hangin' on the Shed, Fred, tie me kangaroo down! ;)

Thanks for the link to that discussion. Stunger has described the "droughting" technique (and even experienced it returning from vacation). Measurable? How? Do you have a well-irrigated control plant for comparison? I always thought this was just cruelty to cannabis! I never really believed it would intensify the THC. Does it really?

There are so many Jack Herers.

It's a fascinating story though. High Times summarized Sensi's JH genetics this way:

Short flowering period (50 - 70 days)
55% Sativa / 45% Indica

High Times about the lineage:
While Sensi say the exact lineage is a closely-guarded secret, it is accepted that Jack Herer is a 3-way hybrid of Skunk #1, Northern Lights #5 and Haze. The precise lineage is probably Haze x [Northern Lights #5 x (Northern Lights #5 x Skunk #1)] which suggests that Sensi began by selecting a male from their NL5 x SK1 seedline (AKA Shiva Skunk) and backcrossing him to the NL5 female cutting. As Sensi purchased Neville's breeding plants, they had both the Haze A and C males, so it is likely that they then chose a female NL5 x (NL5xSK1) plant and pollinated it with one of the Haze males to create Jack Herer., this would make Jack 50% Haze, 37.5% NL5 and 12.5% SK1. This gives Jack Herer a similar composition to Super Silver Haze and Mango Haze which are 50% Haze, 25% NL5 and 25% SK1.

It would be fun to compare several versions, though I haven't the time to do that. I'd like to develop one though. I'd like to back-cross the Sensi strain next year with a skunk, just to re-infuse and emphasize. Sort of a homemade Jack Flash.

If that is too skunky, I'd then re-cross with a haze.

Another thought would be to pollinate a female Shiva Skunk (Sensi) with pollen from an ACE Purple Haze x Malawi, resulting in a Shiva Skunk x PHxM cross, 50% Shiva Skunk, 50% haze. That'll prolly be a pretty good one by itself! Then back-cross with pollen from that to a female Jack Herer. JH's 50% haze genetics would remain constant, I am thinking, with the Shiva Skunk component upped to around 37%.

Anyway, it's a great way to spend the winter months, dreaming about crosses and back-crosses.

Any thoughts?

Happy Sunday all...and the sun is definitely out here!

Thought I'd post a few pics of the Doug's Varin from @Weed Seeds Express on day 48. I've been tucking those enormous fan leaves under the nodes they're covering but they still block others below that. I may have to go with Extreme Leaf Tucking®, which I've never tried on fans this wide:

I'll be starting to lay the top nodes flat in a few days. I can almost get StankClips around them now.

In shed-heat news, here were the temps last night:

I think the heater knob got bumped because it was drawing under 200w/hour, so I've moved it up a bit for tonight. We'll see!

I hope your weekend is going well and all your presents are purchased and hiding in the closet. :)

Quotes:
Any thoughts?
Thanks for all that detail Emeraldo! I don't have a clue what the parentage of mine are (the website states: Haze x Shiva Skunk x Northern Lights #5 as you mentioned) and I'm really not one who delves into the history of cannabis strains. The one who would know that type of info is no longer here, so I just read your description and marvel at how much history there is on many of the popular varieties we all like to grow.

I kind of assume that someone just took the original and made feminized seeds of it rather than trying to get it right recreating it from original parents.

More than be concerned about how true to the original lineage my plants are, I just like them to be as-advertised in terms of how they fall on the mythical indica/sativa scale. As long as it's a quality hybrid, it could be named after anyone or anything!
I know right?

I'm sure there was a post somewhere in your journal about this, but, why is your hydrometer all markered up?
He accidentally got water on it and it froze those upper readings or some other such incident.

I've been tucking those enormous fan leaves under the nodes they're covering but they still block others below that.
Those really are some hugh fan leaves.

and all your presents are purchased and hiding in the closet.
I spent the last couple of days wrapping presents, so ours are all under the tree now.

I see your low temp was 61*. I know you said before that you’d like to see 65* for a low. I hope bumping it up a bit helps.

There are so many Jack Herers.

It's a fascinating story though. High Times summarized Sensi's JH genetics this way:

Short flowering period (50 - 70 days)
55% Sativa / 45% Indica

High Times about the lineage:
While Sensi say the exact lineage is a closely-guarded secret, it is accepted that Jack Herer is a 3-way hybrid of Skunk #1, Northern Lights #5 and Haze. The precise lineage is probably Haze x [Northern Lights #5 x (Northern Lights #5 x Skunk #1)] which suggests that Sensi began by selecting a male from their NL5 x SK1 seedline (AKA Shiva Skunk) and backcrossing him to the NL5 female cutting. As Sensi purchased Neville's breeding plants, they had both the Haze A and C males, so it is likely that they then chose a female NL5 x (NL5xSK1) plant and pollinated it with one of the Haze males to create Jack Herer., this would make Jack 50% Haze, 37.5% NL5 and 12.5% SK1. This gives Jack Herer a similar composition to Super Silver Haze and Mango Haze which are 50% Haze, 25% NL5 and 25% SK1.

It would be fun to compare several versions, though I haven't the time to do that. I'd like to develop one though. I'd like to back-cross the Sensi strain next year with a skunk, just to re-infuse and emphasize. Sort of a homemade Jack Flash.

If that is too skunky, I'd then re-cross with a haze.

Another thought would be to pollinate a female Shiva Skunk (Sensi) with pollen from an ACE Purple Haze x Malawi, resulting in a Shiva Skunk x PHxM cross, 50% Shiva Skunk, 50% haze. That'll prolly be a pretty good one by itself! Then back-cross with pollen from that to a female Jack Herer. JH's 50% haze genetics would remain constant, I am thinking, with the Shiva Skunk component upped to around 37%.

Anyway, it's a great way to spend the winter months, dreaming about crosses and back-crosses.

Any thoughts?

Quotes:

Thanks for all that detail Emeraldo! I don't have a clue what the parentage of mine are (the website states: Haze x Shiva Skunk x Northern Lights #5 as you mentioned) and I'm really not one who delves into the history of cannabis strains. The one who would know that type of info is no longer here, so I just read your description and marvel at how much history there is on many of the popular varieties we all like to grow.

I kind of assume that someone just took the original and made feminized seeds of it rather than trying to get it right recreating it from original parents.

More than be concerned about how true to the original lineage my plants are, I just like them to be as-advertised in terms of how they fall on the mythical indica/sativa scale. As long as it's a quality hybrid, it could be named after anyone or anything!

I know right?

@Emeraldo - While Shed just looks for the phenotype to match up with the seed info, he and his family are happy.

For me, I look for the terpenes that work best for me. Whenever I hear about a strain that I might like to try, I try to find out as much info about it before buying. I research the terpenes from a variety of sources in order to get the average terpene profile and then I look at the genetics of the strain to see if it matches the genetics in the terpene profiles I prefer.

I know that online info on cannabis strains is fluid and spotty but most of the time, what I buy works.

Also, just as an aside, I skimmed this thread recently and think you might find it interesting:

"A compendium of cannabis strains" from 2000 by Baudeclaire (posted by Tokin Roll with help from Teddy Edwards)

@Emeraldo - While Shed just looks for the phenotype to match up with the seed info, he and his family are happy.

For me, I look for the terpenes that work best for me. Whenever I hear about a strain that I might like to try, I try to find out as much info about it before buying. I research the terpenes from a variety of sources in order to get the average terpene profile and then I look at the genetics of the strain to see if it matches the genetics in the terpene profiles I prefer.

I know that online info on cannabis strains is fluid and spotty but most of the time, what I buy works.

Also, just as an aside, I skimmed this thread recently and think you might find it interesting:

"A compendium of cannabis strains" from 2000 by Baudeclaire (posted by Tokin Roll with help from Teddy Edwards)
Hehe I'm alot more simple.

I want 27%+ THC and a fruity taste. Everything else comes 2nd. That's how I picked my current 3 strains and how I am picking my next run :)

Monday update, and it's chilly in the shade when I move the plants into the sun every morning:

44º in the shade but it's about 64º in the sun, so I don't worry about air temps.

I mentioned StankClips® yesterday, so I thought I would show you what they look like in action on the Doug's Varin in case you're unfamiliar with them. I learned this from @Van Stank, and it's a great way start to flatten your top node before the branches are long enough to tie down to the pot:

Two short pieces of pipe cleaner attach the nodes to the petioles of the fans below them, and then you tie those fans to the rim of the pot to pull everything down. You don't usually need them for long, but it does get the branches headed in the right direction from an early age. That makes them less likely to snap when you do tie them flat to the pot.

And you can see that the next node down (in front and behind the clipped ones) are nearly at the top already, so those will also get tied flat as they grow.

In other news, I got the WiFi microscope out to see what was going on with the flowering two on flip day 50. Not the best pics because I was running late, but I have at least 10 days on both of these.

Sour G:

Sour G:

Sour G:

Sour G:

Jack Herer:

Jack Herer:

Jack Herer:

Still haven't nailed down the heat in the shed yet, but I did find two air leaks this morning and sealed them up, so I'm hoping tomorrow morning will show a more narrow temp range.

I hope this is the start of a great week for all y'all! :high-five:

Quotes:
Those really are some hugh fan leaves.
And this is supposed to be a sativa! Not only that, at 4.5g/gal equivalent it's already showing N def on the lowers, so I need to bump the feeding next watering. Doesn't sound like a light-feeding sativa to me. :)
I spent the last couple of days wrapping presents, so ours are all under the tree now.
Santa is on it! :thumb:
I see your low temp was 61*. I know you said before that you’d like to see 65* for a low. I hope bumping it up a bit helps.
Thanks BigD. Still too low last night so I hope some duct tape and insulation material will help. We'll see!
While Shed just looks for the phenotype to match up with the seed info, he and his family are happy.
I'm glad you've found that the ones you do end up growing hew to the research you've found online. Nice to be able to trust some of what's out there!
I skimmed this thread recently and think you might find it interesting:
Oy, a big collection of individual images rather than a single pdf file! I have a PM with Teddy about this right now.
I want 27%+ THC and a fruity taste. Everything else comes 2nd. That's how I picked my current 3 strains and how I am picking my next run
Remember that stated THC claims are usually way over what we grow ourselves. Their tests are done on highly controlled crops, and the highest results are selected for publication.
Hell Yes THC / Fruity Tutooie !!! Shed is this the guy you refered to as not belng here no more >>
Unklerawb ????? Thanks
I don't know what you're talking about sb! Is Unklerawb a new pop singer? Cannabis variety? Training method?

Back
Top Bottom