Jay's Move From SCROG To SOG - Jock Horror - Aurora Indica - & Papaya

Today is day 23 post flip and Jock Horror is showing all female, Papaya is showing female flowers but I think she may be a hermie because it still looks like there might be male flower at the nodes on the main stems in a couple places, Aurora hasn't shown any flowers yet. Normally by 3 weeks post flip I would see more flower development but the lights being out while I was gone coupled with low temps might be slowing them down a bit. I removed the ducting from my exhaust so it pushes the tent air back into the garage to help keep the temps up. I moved to a new house down the street but haven't been able to move my setup yet. The new garage is insulated and attached un like the garage I am in now so that should help. Over all the plants are looking good and Im happy with their growth. I just changed out my MH bulb for the HPS. I read on another journal that keeping more blue in the first few weeks of flower helps reduce stretching, it seems to have worked as I have three dif strains going and they are all staying the same height and haven't stretched too much.

From left to right:
Aurora, Papaya, Jock Horror

IMG_202230.JPG
IMG_202334.JPG

I'll follow along if you don't mind. I've got some Nirvana Jock Horror fem seeds here and will be curious to see how yours does. I'm also intrigued about leaving the MH bulb in to reduce stretch.

I'll follow along if you don't mind. I've got some Nirvana Jock Horror fem seeds here and will be curious to see how yours does. I'm also intrigued about leaving the MH bulb in to reduce stretch.

Welcome, Scrogdawg! Glad to have you along for the ride!
Now that I've switched over to the hps I'm interested to see if they start to stretch more or not. I also wonder if the lack of red/orange light in those first weeks slows flower production. I guess it's hard to tell without a control batch to compare.

I have ordered from Nervana twice and have been happy with their delivery time (2 weeks) and packaging. These are the first seeds I've grown from them, so far I'm happy with them. If the seven seeds I planted only one didn't germinate, the rest popped up in 4 days. The phenotypes seem to very in each strain as far as appearances in veg which is to be expected to some degree. I'll know more once they have fully flowered and I can really compare them to what was advertised.

Five days after switching to HPS and I think they have grown a few inches. Also, flowering has picked up and more pistils are showing.

IMG_208136.JPG
IMG_208336.JPG
IMG_208427.JPG
IMG_208532.JPG

I confirmed that the Papaya is indeed a hermie and found male flowers at the branch nodes. I plucked off all I could find as I didn't want to make the decision to pull her from the tent just yet. I may let her flower longer and pollinate the others a little to get some seeds. I don't know yet and I'm kinda bummed, she is looking so good!
IMG_208036.JPG

My HID ballast took a shit on me some time in the past two days, went to check on the girls last night and it was off. Swung by the local hydro shop and picked up a used ballast for $75 for the time being while I wait to get it replaced. I have only had it for 5 month so it is still covered under manufacturers warranty.

Well at least you'll have a spare once they warranty the fucked one, and that never hurts.

Well turns out it was my HPS bulb that is bad. I plugged in the "new" ballast and it did the same damn thing, so I swapped the MH back in and it worked perfectly. Tried both ballast with the MH and no problems, guess I should have tried that first. lol But like you said at least I have a backup now!

The girls are flowering nicely, the Papaya is looking so good I have decided to leave her and her balls in the tent. Ill just end up with some seeds and I'm cool with that. Any seeds on the Papaya will be feminized and anything on the others should be a cool cross.

Left to right
Aurora, Papaya, Jock Horror
IMG_211436.JPG

Aurora
IMG_211533.JPG

Papaya
IMG_211633.JPG

Jock Horror
IMG_211833.JPG

Just a beautiful leaf from the Aurora
IMG_210338.JPG

Picked up a new HPS bulb and plugged it in and everything is back up and running great!
The Aurora has really stretched above the other two plants and she was started a week after them. I'll keep that in mind the next time I grow that strain. The girls are looking great and healthy with no issues as of yet, fingers crossed.

Left to right:
Jock Horror, Papaya, Aurora

IMG_214632.JPG

Jock Horror
IMG_214731.JPG

Papaya
IMG_214825.JPG

Aurora
IMG_214929.JPG

Found my first 11 blade leaf on the Aurora
IMG_215427.JPG

High JayC,

Beautiful looking Aurora lady! You must have a great regimen of nutes to grow plants that look so nice! Great job!

High JayC,

Beautiful looking Aurora lady! You must have a great regimen of nutes to grow plants that look so nice! Great job!

Thanks Bode! I use FoxFarm nutes and follow their feeding schedule as close as possible. This is my first time exclusively using their products and I would say that the results have been very good!

The girls are getting frosty and starting to fill in more, I only make it over to the old house once every 2/3 days so it always looks like they have grown so much.

Papaya:
IMG_218638.JPG
IMG_218930.JPG

Jock Horror:
IMG_218733.JPG

Aurora:
IMG_218830.JPG

Monday I did a full flush on all the girls. First I ran 2gal of regular tap water with FF sledgehammer ph'd to 6.3 through each pot. Checked the runoff and it was right at 6.3. Then I ran another 2gal of RO water with 1/4 strength nutes ph'd to 6.3, checked the runoff and it was at 6.4. Seems like the soil ph is holding steady even with the heavy feeding schedule and no strait water feeding in between. I wish I had a ec meter to check where the salts are but the plants look better than any I have ever grown so I think I'm on the right track. I am heading over to the old house to pack up a few things and check on the girls, I'll post some pics later on today.

The Papaya is definitely the front runner, she has the best bud structure and has more trichromes than the other two. I am glad I didn't get rid of her when she started popping male flowers here and there. I have actually taken some of the pollen and cross pollinated with the other plants on select branches and marked them so I can identify them later.
IMG_222728.JPG
IMG_222831.JPG
IMG_222929.JPG
IMG_223024.JPG

The Jock Horror is doing well and just behind the Papaya in turns of bud size and trichs. I also found a couple male flowers and self pollinated a lower branch and marked it as well. I also cross pollinated with the Aurora.
IMG_223127.JPG
IMG_223229.JPG

The Aurora stretched a lot in the first few weeks of flower and her bud production is mainly small popcorn type buds. She is def a sativa dominant strain. I hope that I get some good seed cross from the Papaya and her because I think it would be a nice mix.
IMG_223326.JPG
IMG_223433.JPG

Left to right:
Papaya, Jock Horror, Aurora
IMG_223525.JPG

I know that if a plant self pollinates it will produce feminized seeds because it lacks the male chromosome to make male seeds. My question is, is the same true if you cross those with another female plant will those seeds also be feminized? If anyone know or would like to share their thoughts that would be great!

Finally got the grow tent moved over to the new house and set up! All I have left to do is hook up the exhaust to the vent in the wall. I bought an adapter without measuring and it was smaller than the vent hole. Oops! It's nice to be able to check on the girls without having to get in my car and drive down the road. It was kind of nerve racking driving down the street with my grow tent in the bed of my truck. I waited till it was dark out to move the plants and they rode in style in the cab, now my truck stanks of bud lol. I'm hoping that the warmer temps will help the Aurora and Jock Horror fatten up, it was damn cold in the old garage!

IMG_227137.JPG
IMG_227331.JPG
IMG_227434.JPG

High Jay,

It's always fun moving into a new house. Getting the grow set up is of paramount importance. Nice job.

Back
Top Bottom