Jon’s 3 Autoflower - 3 Pounds Attempt Grow

Watermelon WeddingCake Pistils

If anyone remembers the first WWC from my last grow (the almost 13 oz. auto), you’ll remember the pistils. They were super thick, and almost greasy looking. I had never seen that before and assumed it was a strain thing.

Well, see what happens when you assume? :rofl:

Here’s the current WWC. Normal pistils, what I always expect to see. So apparently it’s not a strain thing but a phenotype thing?

6AA69DE2-B171-4463-8DDA-9B38962ECCCD.jpeg

Melinda
Banana Sherbet Autoflower
NOT
SherBERT
Day 85

We are painfully close here. Imho this is now “I can chop whenever I want territory,” ie, even today would be fine. I’m not going to chop today. I’m thinking Friday, on day 87. Two more days should put me around 10% amber top to bottom (in a perfect world, lol). It would be a cool way to head into the weekend too. We’ll see if it works out that way.

In looking at trichomes, I see a lot of dead leaf pieces, a very occasional bug, a dog hair or three, etc. I have never bud washed an indoor grow, although I am well aware of the benefits. I’ve been lazy, I admit it. But now I have no more excuses since I had to buy four new 5-gallon food grade buckets in order to leave my stepdad enough water when I went on vacation. It’s too easy when the infrastructure is already in place to not do it this time.

So a lot of you guys bud wash. I have several tutorials from several of you (thanks!). One thing I can’t find that I’d like to know better is this:

Okay so I am holding a long branch of buds and sending it through its’ paces in the buckets. I can envision holding it by the stem and twirling it around - a little swishing if you will. All good. But how long do I swish in each bucket? Are we talking 20 seconds, hold up to let drip off most of the water, proceed to next bucket, repeat? That’s the impression I get. Anyone with input is appreciated!

Here’s a bunch of pictures. There’s some trichome pics, a few bud shots, a few frost shots, and a cool picture of one of my beautiful foxtailish bud tops. They look pretty ready, we just want some hairs to curl in and some amber to creep a few days. The foxtails I now know from experience will keep popping hairs like you see here for a long time, so as you assess and tell me wait longer (lol), consider that what happens to a foxtail top itself may not necessarily be the best gauge of if the buds look “finished” or not.
C5536E67-0669-49EA-92CD-9993A2D26F7C.jpeg

84F32312-3C48-4F0D-9126-B1C81340A495.jpeg

AA494885-9E53-4AB1-9CC8-EA60F65AD32B.jpeg

AC9EC91D-2732-4586-8F77-438B17473CB7.jpeg

DF2EF0CB-C80F-4989-8C12-93AE7E6596C6.jpeg

46A0DA51-D64C-4853-8A5A-5E8DA293E383.jpeg

08A600D1-5806-44D5-88EA-926BF46A6100.jpeg

FE28E2DE-CBC5-41DD-A6EA-C7B39E325739.jpeg

356C4AE2-6BB4-45F9-8FF7-72D487ADA107.jpeg

I haven't done it more than the once truthfully. When I did the wash, I just did a couple of seconds with each bucket. Just long enough to stir the bucket, and give the branch a good quick soak.
I can't say that's the proper way, there was a video for it, but I can't find the link this morning :nomo:

Melinda
NOT
SherBERT
Day 85

We are painfully close here. Imho this is now “I can chop whenever I want territory,” ie, even today would be fine. I’m not going to chop today. I’m thinking Friday, on day 87. Two more days should put me around 10% amber top to bottom (in a perfect world, lol). It would be a cool way to head into the weekend too. We’ll see if it works out that way.

In looking at trichomes, I see a lot of dead leaf pieces, a very occasional bug, a dog hair or three, etc. I have never bud washed an indoor grow, although I am well aware of the benefits. I’ve been lazy, I admit it. But now I have no more excuses since I had to buy four new 5-gallon food grade buckets in order to leave my stepdad enough water when I went on vacation. It’s too easy when the infrastructure is already in place to not do it this time.

So a lot of you guys bud wash. I have several tutorials from several of you (thanks!). One thing I can’t find that I’d like to know better is this:

Okay so I am holding a long branch of buds and sending it through its’ paces in the buckets. I can envision holding it by the stem and twirling it around - a little swishing if you will. All good. But how long do I swish in each bucket? Are we talking 20 seconds, hold up to let drip off most of the water, proceed to next bucket, repeat? That’s the impression I get. Anyone with input is appreciated!

Here’s a bunch of pictures. There’s some trichome pics, a few bud shots, a few frost shots, and a cool picture of one of my beautiful foxtailish bud tops. They look pretty ready, we just want some hairs to curl in and some amber to creep a few days. The foxtails I now know from experience will keep popping hairs like you see here for a long time, so as you assess and tell me wait longer (lol), consider that what happens to a foxtail top itself may not necessarily be the best gauge of if the buds look “finished” or not.

I swish mine around for 20 seconds in each bucket & after the final rinse I shake ‘em pretty vigorously, like a spin cycle in a washing machine.

I do about 20 seconds in each bucket. I also add airstones to my buckets for better agitation. I'm always amazed at how much comes off the buds when washing an indoor grow, especially if grown in soil.

I do about 20 seconds in each bucket. I also add airstones to my buckets for better agitation. I'm always amazed at how much comes off the buds when washing an indoor grow, especially if grown in soil.
Airstones?!?!
That's cheating!
I like it and will do that too next time

:thanks:

@Jon I washed my buds for the first time because of a little PM. The outbreak wasn't bad but I washed just in case. It was amazing what came off the plants.
I didn't have buckets, I used plastic bins but it's the same concept. To ensure I killed any PM, I let the buds sit in the first bin with 5 gallons of water and 2 cups of H202 for 3-5 min, agitating every so often. The second bin had 1/2 cup baking soda, 1/2 cup lemon juice and 5 gallons of water. This bin was dirty as hell, I was amazed at what came off the plants. The third bin was plain water. I shook the buds quite a bit to get water off then hung them in my 2x4 tent with a fan outside on low for 2-4 hours, or until they felt like they do when first harvested. From there, I continued with my wet trim and normal drying process. Hope this helps!

Melinda
NOT
SherBERT
Day 85

Gorgeous trichs! Almost looks like you droughted her some or something! Just yummy AF.

Ive been budwashing everything. Ive seen time in the drinks anywhere from 30 seconds to five minutes. Ive been doing about a minute or two. Dunk swish for 10-15 seconds let sit a bit and repeat. I get gentle for last bath. The only thing I dont like about the wash is that theres some hairs I see floating every time. and it irks me but then I look at how much is actually there in the bucket and its absolutely nominal compared to the dirt and bugs and hairs etc.

I did some very localized before and after trich pics just to reassure myself and yeah not much difference at all. I didnt even see any capitate stalks get decapitated.

White Widow Training

87DE4816-70FB-4F70-9D34-4A748CA2CA37.jpeg

DB282CB5-F9EC-4509-8A86-63B325541BAD.jpeg

4BAF0F90-542B-4A00-8B63-32CA057AAB6B.jpeg

This plant grows crazy side branching everywhere and is shaping up like a sativa. I pulled what I could out for the lower ring and left what I had to. Needed some separation and some defoliation. Note the difference between the first two pictures. First one is colas pulled out, second one is defol.

@Jon I washed my buds for the first time because of a little PM. The outbreak wasn't bad but I washed just in case. It was amazing what came off the plants.
I didn't have buckets, I used plastic bins but it's the same concept. To ensure I killed any PM, I let the buds sit in the first bin with 5 gallons of water and 2 cups of H202 for 3-5 min, agitating every so often. The second bin had 1/2 cup baking soda, 1/2 cup lemon juice and 5 gallons of water. This bin was dirty as hell, I was amazed at what came off the plants. The third bin was plain water. I shook the buds quite a bit to get water off then hung them in my 2x4 tent with a fan outside on low for 2-4 hours, or until they felt like they do when first harvested. From there, I continued with my wet trim and normal drying process. Hope this helps!
Sure does, thanks @oldmanjj !

Geopot sells those too, in a few different sizes! ;)

Trichs look yummy, so the most important part of washing is not to hit the sides or bottom of the bucket. :thumb:
Thanks for the heads up, didn’t know they had the Velcro opening ones for transplanting. And great tip on the washing. It’s gonna take a while I guess. It’s a one branch at a time thing, or one of whatever you’d hang at a time. For a scrog? It’ll take a few minutes. Lol!

It's a one-branch-at-a-time thing to make sure you're not scraping the sides of the bucket. For smaller branches I will grab a few and wash them together though.

And for long branches you wash the bottom half and then flip it over and dunk the top!
Another easy thing I never would have thought of! Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom