Jon's First Outdoor Grow: Sugar Breath Photoperiod & Strawberry Banana Autoflower

Well, it's a system. I am using it exactly as intended. And it lists a flush at the end. That's it. So I'm talking about ONE flush, not a series, and not multiple events. If the answer to best time is 2 weeks before harvest, great. If the answer is it doesn't matter and isn't necessary, then why does PB have it in the suggestions?
In a synthetic grow, it is necessary. FF, PB and others have it in their instructions because they know what is happening at the end. After feeding heavily from week 3 on, following their instructions, it is very likely that you are beginning to have a salt lockout. If you see sun leaves starting to brown and crisp out, this is very likely your problem. It is only bro-science and its proponents who claim it isn't necessary. This is one of the reasons that the most common advice that I give around this place, is to follow the directions.

For you strainhounds....

I watch the environment and the plant's response to it religiously. Learning how to watch has been a process in and of itself over the course of all my grows. At this point I'm able to discern fairly minute differences albeit always a work in progress. Watching this Apple Blossom from Humboldt S.C., she seems to be at her peak at 77 degrees and 45% RH at the moment. I can see very small differences in her prayer angle based on the environment, as well as when ALL the buds are praying properly, and at this point in flower, that's where she seems to like it best.

For what it's worth.

In a synthetic grow, it is necessary. FF, PB and others have it in their instructions because they know what is happening at the end. After feeding heavily from week 3 on, following their instructions, it is very likely that you are beginning to have a salt lockout. If you see sun leaves starting to brown and crisp out, this is very likely your problem. It is only bro-science and its proponents who claim it isn't necessary. This is one of the reasons that the most common advice that I give around this place, is to follow the directions.
OK, that's how I THOUGHT I knew you felt. So back to the question then, is 2 weeks before the end when to do it? They don't tell you WHEN. Just "at the end."

For you strainhounds....

I watch the environment and the plant's response to it religiously. Learning how to watch has been a process in and of itself over the course of all my grows. At this point I'm able to discern fairly minute differences albeit always a work in progress. Watching this Apple Blossom from Humboldt S.C., she seems to be at her peak at 77 degrees and 45% RH at the moment. I can see very small differences in her prayer angle based on the environment, as well as when ALL the buds are praying properly, and at this point in flower, that's where she seems to like it best.

For what it's worth.
It has been written that the optimum temperature for cannabis is 79 degrees, with RH being a factor. Some strains are different though, and is the reason for some of the careful hybridization we have seen in this industry... the plants are being designed to like mid latitude temperatures rather than tropical or desert conditions that might be native to a variety of pot, by merging it with a plant from more northern regions. The reason for all this intentional manipulation? Follow the bucks. This allows growers in the USA and southern Europe, varieties that better match their climate and light patterns.

OK, that's how I THOUGHT I knew you felt. So back to the question then, is 2 weeks before the end when to do it? They don't tell you WHEN. Just "at the end."
Yes, because that 6 week point is when the plant changes gears and instead of general gathering of energy and initial formation of the buds, it starts building on what it has now put in place. You can see it on the buds too. Carefully watch the white pistils up till the 6 week point and you will see that suddenly a majority of them have started to bend at the top or the middle, instead of sticking straight out in search of pollen. I actually have named this as a stage... final bud swell. For that next 2 weeks the buds will grow in weight and girth rather dramatically, and I believe that this is when the terpenes and resins begin to fill the buds and that this last two weeks is really where the potency and flavor are added to the overall profile.

So during this last 2 weeks of building, you want to make sure that the buds can get everything they need. It makes perfect sense to clear the pipes, clear the soil and hit the finishing nutes hard during this last phase of the grow. A proper flush right before going into this stage, in a synthetic grow, makes perfect logical sense.

Yes, because that 6 week point is when the plant changes gears and instead of general gathering of energy and initial formation of the buds, it starts building on what it has now put in place. You can see it on the buds too. Carefully watch the white pistils up till the 6 week point and you will see that suddenly a majority of them have started to bend at the top or the middle, instead of sticking straight out in search of pollen. I actually have named this as a stage... final bud swell. For that next 2 weeks the buds will grow in weight and girth rather dramatically, and I believe that this is when the terpenes and resins begin to fill the buds and that this last two weeks is really where the potency and flavor are added to the overall profile.

So during this last 2 weeks of building, you want to make sure that the buds can get everything they need. It makes perfect sense to clear the pipes, clear the soil and hit the finishing nutes hard during this last phase of the grow. A proper flush right before going into this stage, in a synthetic grow, makes perfect logical sense.
Muchas gracias senorita.

One Trichome Shot to Show Something Cool

Had to show this one, not for the trichs, but cuz I managed to accidentally capture a half decent new growth shot. This is what it looks like inside when I see new growth on the outside of the buds. Pretty cool.

Cool new growth shot.jpg

Going to SensEmilya school. Class is in session! :thumb:

Yeah, well, I think she's writing a book, so she's well ahead of either of us. :laughtwo:
:rofl: Don't know about you, but in my case "well ahead" would be a dramatic understatement. Lol!

:rofl: Don't know about you, but in my case "well ahead" would be a dramatic understatement. Lol!

I think we all learn a lot from her on the why's of what we do. There are lots of recipies for growing good herb, but having the reasons behind the practices brings a lot of things together, for me at least, and I'm sure many others feel the same.

Kind of like baking bread. You can just follow a recipe for baking bread and do fine, but knowing how the yeast works, why to give the dough a rest period, how gluten forms, etc. makes you a better baker in the end. Same applies here.

To replace the loss of [K] in the mix, I began adding the Weed Easy seaweed supplement. It's been three feedings this way, and they seem fine, so I'm going with it. Bill, you see any reason this would be a problem?
I can see the 18 being a problem along with all the other K in the FF nute line. Big Bloom is only 0 - 0.5 - 0.7 and you're replacing the 0.7 with 18!

Just something to watch out for.

I can see the 18 being a problem along with all the other K in the FF nute line. Big Bloom is only 0 - 0.5 - 0.7 and you're replacing the 0.7 with 18!

Just something to watch out for.
True. Also replacing an entire tbsp. of BB for 1/8 tsp of the Easy Weed. I was hoping that would mitigate it. I don't have anything else to use. I am watching them though closely. It's been now four days in a row and so far I don't see any negative impact at all. Probably look the same if I just left it out too, you think? Maybe that's the more prudent course of action. We're talking about three more waterings or so though - be kinda hard to F them up now.

Gracias.

It has been written that the optimum temperature for cannabis is 79 degrees, with RH being a factor. Some strains are different though, and is the reason for some of the careful hybridization we have seen in this industry... the plants are being designed to like mid latitude temperatures rather than tropical or desert conditions that might be native to a variety of pot, by merging it with a plant from more northern regions. The reason for all this intentional manipulation? Follow the bucks. This allows growers in the USA and southern Europe, varieties that better match their climate and light patterns.
If this plant is any indicator, I've been close to 79 most of flower so far, and only down to around 68 at night. Going for much warmer flower and far less dramatic a difference between night and day. So far there hasn't been a moment really when they haven't been sweetly praying for me on the right angle. I think I realize the extent to which I'm compromising my growth with going 76-58 so early in flower. I get great leaf and bud colors, great. But the growth I'm seeing at these higher temps trumps a bunch of dumb colors. Lmao.

There Be Frost Here!
(Use Captain Ahab voice)
CJS Apple Blossom
Grow Day 83
Flower Day 23

This morning I took careful ppfd measurements with the Phototone app, being careful to get a nice steady hold on the phone for the readings. I measured in the exact middle beneath the light, then a small ring around the center dot, then expanded to the outer ring, and then took measurements on each of the most outer buds, either the ones one the walls or as close to the corner as they come.

Here's what I'm working with at the moment:

Center - 1260 ppfd
Center Ring - 1310 - 1290 ppfd
Outer Ring - 1120 to 1040 ppfd
Edges/Corners - every reading was at least 960 ppfd

The plant is loving it. The @NextLight 420h just shreds a 3x3. Destroys it. It's amazing. To have my very lowest reading on a canopy almost at 1000 is stupendous. The only light I have that can provide a more consistent footprint than that is the big girl in the 5x5. Again, bravo NextLight.

So why would the very center spot in the canopy be slightly lower than the little ring directly around it? I believe it is due to the design of the light. There's a square, small plastic cap-type piece right in the middle of the light and there are no LEDs there. So it's a very small spot of less light - totally inconsequential but interesting. Also interesting is that when I say this light shreds a 3x3, I mean it SHREDS it. If I crank the light to 100% (it's at approximately 60%, lol) the ppfd in the center is 1960!!!!!! That's completely insane. This plant will never see numbers higher than she's at now, and even though it's an approximation, 60% is pretty crazy low. Guess I'm saving a few pennies on electricity. Heh.

For those of you who are cringing at the ppfd numbers thinking they're too high, I get it. But they're not. Just look at the plant and you can easily see. No leaf curling. No taco-ing. No tips curling up or down. Nothing but snow white pistils not burned or browned on top. And a 45 degree prayer angle constantly, sometimes even more depending on minor temperature and RH variations. By all observational assessments this plant is loving these ppfd numbers, and I've burned enough plants now that I *think* I have a handle on this at this point. If I lower the power on the light and the ppfd numbers from where they are I get this crazy prayer angle which clearly is the plant saying "more light please, now." So we'll go with it for now. Constant reassessment.

Anyway, other than that she looks good, smells more and more like sweet green apples every day, and is starting to frost up.

Here's our girl today:

EDIT: I looked a bit closer and we're gonna scale it back just a touch. Minor minor browning on a pistil or two I didn't notice the first time. Easy. Scaled it back about 100-150 points across the board.

2 11 friday.jpg

2 11 friday 2.jpg

Cool frosty.jpg

Obligatory Trichome Shots from Cocotown
Flower Day 70

Both of these girls have what I would describe as a very long window in terms of trichome change. I'm very surprised the Strawberry Lemonade still looks like this. The Dos Si Dos is very similar. These damn plants may finish at the same time, which would make trim jail that much more of a treat. Oh well, at least then I could dry them in the tent. It looks to me from the pics that these could have all come from the same plant.

So here's the state of affairs today, first two Strawberry Lemonade, one of which includes a nice hair, second two Dos Si Dos.

SL tr 2 2 11 with hair.jpg

SL tr 1 2 11.jpg

DSD tr 2 2 11.jpg

DSD tr 1 2 11.jpg

That's right! I need a copy signed when it comes out!
She'll probably be a sponsor then and it'll be on sale at a discount on the site. Lol!! The whole deal - part of a prize pack, signed copies, etc.... Ha!

Back
Top Bottom