Landrace Genetics 101

Oh man, she's really pretty.

Thanks guys my first indoor grow with a 100% Sativa, I'm kinda proud of her! .
You betcha. I'm curious if you're gonna like the smoke :)

Thanks Conradino23 for the education. Likewise for Graytail, Big Sur, Pennywise, and all the rest of the posters on this thread. For me, you have only confirmed that knowing from which base you are starting from is key to growing expected product, whether it be plant or animal. Predictability is essential to expected production. Even then there are surprises, thankfully. I know the girls are the goal, but I don't hear enough about the males and their contribution to the genetic pool. The sires in other genetics (animal) are the usual focal point. Good mamas produce good daddies and good daddies produce good mamas, as a general rule. Of course we do run into the prepotent individuals on occasion. Anyway, thanks again for all the knowledge, it has been a very interesting 74 pages. Think I can say that the Landrace Genetics and the IBL's are the basic building blocks of genetics that can be repeated and expectations can be attained.

Thanks Conradino23 for the education. Likewise for Graytail, Big Sur, Pennywise, and all the rest of the posters on this thread. For me, you have only confirmed that knowing from which base you are starting from is key to growing expected product, whether it be plant or animal. Predictability is essential to expected production. Even then there are surprises, thankfully. I know the girls are the goal, but I don't hear enough about the males and their contribution to the genetic pool. The sires in other genetics (animal) are the usual focal point. Good mamas produce good daddies and good daddies produce good mamas, as a general rule. Of course we do run into the prepotent individuals on occasion. Anyway, thanks again for all the knowledge, it has been a very interesting 74 pages. Think I can say that the Landrace Genetics and the IBL's are the basic building blocks of genetics that can be repeated and expectations can be attained.
Males are undervalued topic indeed, cause they are mostly familiar to breeders and folks who produce their own seeds. We know they contribute a lot to the genetic poll, but as the seed market starts being dominated by feminised seeds, they are just left out and not studied enough.

It sure is nice to welcome another person who appreciates the necessity of having access to landrace genetics! :cheesygrinsmiley:

I liken it to colors - pigments, dyes, etc. You use the basics to create gorgeous colors and hues, but what happens when you run out of pure red? You used up all your pure red making some pretty color?

It's great that some breeder created an amazingly colorful, fruity sticky strain called "dosido cookies bomb" - I love to see the new stuff. But ... where are the original strains? What if I want to work a Durban/Thai line? What if all I can find is Durban x Skunk#1 or Afghan x Thai? I hate Skunk#1. And I'd rather find my own Afghan if I want to work with that, thankyouverymuch.

It's like a meal with too much salt and sugar. I can add salt if I want to. I can add sugar. But I can't get it out of there once some jackass has polluted it.

:Namaste:

I just grabbed 10 Golden Tiger Standards .

Seems like I've heard that's a good one. One of the parent strains of Zamaldelica, isn't it? I heard that's a good one, too. Hoping so, as someone gave me a couple seeds (of the latter) last year.

I happen to be smoking a Golden Tiger cross right now. :cheesygrinsmiley: Still have some Zamaldelica cross, too. The Zam is especially nice, with a light fruity taste. I'm guessing it caught some GT pollen. That, or Purple Haze. DrZiggy did a pollen chuck in a tent with all of 'em. The GT has a dark green Malawi look to it, so it might have caught Zam. :slide:

I hit a branch on my Malawi with Alaskan Thunder Fuck.
If you catch the right pheno, it can be deadly. It gets to 24-27% in these tiny trichs. I think I loved the smell even better than the smoke. Pungent jasmine oil incensey kind of stuff and really psychedelic sweaty high when you hit your bong :laugh:

I recently grew out three Golden Tiger regs, all turned out female and all were very similar to each other.
This latest batch of GT is quite unlike the GT I grew a couple years ago and was so enamoured with (and still am). That GT was my favourite smoke ever and I'm trying to find it again. This latest round was much more Malawi influenced.

IMG_376619.JPG

IMG_376716.JPG

IMG_376915.JPG

IMG_378419.JPG

It looks almost the same as Malawi and the high is more Malawi-like too- more speedy and busy. I like Malawi a lot too but sometimes I wish I could smoke larger amounts of it without going ballistic.
The GT I grew last time grew a large single cola that smelled like Thai- had a mellower Thai-influenced high than this last round of GT. It really hit the sweet spot for me as the perfect cannabis high. :drool:
I read on another forum, where Ace has a member, that they'd reworked the GT and worked a little more Malawi into the equation. That must have been outdated info I don't know. Because on Ace's latest GT promo they say the exact opposite- that they reworked the GT in 2014 to put more Thai into the equation. :hmmmm:
Anyway- hopefully that blend that I liked so much is still at large. Do any of you know the GT I mean?

The buds in those pics were pollinated with a Honduras male, hence all the seeds.

And- while I'm on here blathering- here are a few pics of the Honduras. :) Supposedly a pure sativa landrace according to the Ace site. *

IMG_443814.JPG

IMG_443113.JPG

IMG_445217.JPG

I don't know if any of you will remember but many moons ago on this thread we discussed trying to find some 'weak weed'. The sort that a person could enjoy smoking cigars of all day and still function. The guys at Ace recommended Honduras- so I got some seeds and grew out a few. It's a lovely plant- has a wonderful lemony-pine smell and large foxtaily buds. I still don't like the high as much as I expected- seems to have some indica effects- but I'm going to give it another try or two now that it's been curing longer.

Seems like I just keep gravitating back to Thai and Thai crosses...

Cheers landrace lovers :passitleft: Hope everyone is well.

* re-reading the Ace info about Honduras it looks like it would be worth planting more of those seeds in the hopes of a different pheno, sounds like I might find some with a high that I like better.

Real deal legit Hawaiian strains & landraces favored by many but so rare today.....now offered by local breeders. Pua Mana Ohana offering Maui Wowie, Kona Gold, Puna Budazz, Kauai Electric, & lots more. Decades old genetic lines preserved by underground island breeders/growers. Lived a few years there for surfing long ago & quality over there was way beyond what is called Hawaiian nowadays. Much of what's called Hawaiian today on mainland is watered down or even fake. Da kine pakalolo! :Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom