Legal & Laid-Back in Colorado - Indoor Soil Grow With CFLs

re: Legal & Laid-Back in Colorado - Indoor Soil Grow With CFLs

Have you thought about Defoliation? It helps with node length and keeping the plant shorter. It goes hand in hand with LTS. By removing the fan leave the bud sight gets more light, after doing this the growth is explosive. Just remember We want to grow buds. The big Fan leave are for the storage of energy for the plant when needed, BUT, your feeding the plant on a schedule. This will force all of the off shoots to reach for the light.It's our job trying to keep the canopy as even as possible. This is only if you want multiple colas though. It is a very popular way of growing. Your plants look good.

So, this week's report:

I took everyone's advice and started trimming fan leaves. Probably not enough yet, but I got a lot of them. They smell wonderful, all green and spicy. Really nice.

Two and Three are in ten-inch pots now. I've started training Two's side shoots. Three needs a few more days to grow.

One is showing the barest sign of pre-flowers. Still too small for me to say whether they're male or female. Should know in another week though.

Oh, and my tomato and eggplant seedlings are growing great. We'll have good eating this summer :) I know you all were wondering about that.

Here's some photos.

Plant One's main stem is about 24 inches long now. It's definitely hogging all the light.

2013-May-One-stem.jpg

Plant One main tip. Looking good.

2013-May-One-Tip.jpg

Plant Two in the six inch pot. Could have moved to ten inch sooner, as the side shoots are getting a bit woody and hard to bend. I had a busy week though, so oh well!

2013-May-Two-a.jpg

And Two in the ten inch pot and back on the shelf. About five or six side shoots tied down.

2013-May-Two-b.jpg

Three in ten inch pot. You can see all the shoots coming off the main stem. Side shoots will be long enough to tie soon.

2013-May-Three-a.jpg

And three back on the shelf, showing the main tip.

2013-May-Three-b.jpg

Over all, the plants look good and healthy dark green. My main worry at this point is which ones will turn out to be male and have to be sacrificed. I want to keep vegging at least another couple weeks so Two and Three grow out a lot more. But One has grown so fast and big that it's taking over the shelf. Fingers crossed that there's at least one girl in there somewhere!

If you don't get a female & are near southwest CO then I can share females with ya, got clones galore...I imagine you're no where near me though!!

Mid-week check-in: I am watching Plant One with some anxiety. The little pre-flowers are looking like tiny pollen sacs rather than female buds to me. I'll let them grow out quite a bit to be sure, but I hate giving up light and soil and water if I have to sacrifice the plant in the end.

Distressing. /sigh

Just move it outside until you can collect pollen & make your own seeds.....Seeds are fun & I'd gladly pay shipping to take some off your hands:)

Hi folks! I haven't forgotten the thread. The plants are growing happily but not doing much other than that :) Plant One's pre-flowers are still inconclusive. That plant is just huge compared to the other two, and if I were only growing that one I would definitely push it to flower. It's ready!

But I only have one growing shelf and the other two are way too small to bloom yet, though they look real healthy. They need more time. So I'm trying to decide what to do. If One turns out to be male I would be very sorry to start Two and Three into flower so early.

Guess I'll wait and worry for a couple more weeks. Here's some photos.

First, Two (left) and Three alone on the shelf. They would be perfectly happy if One never returned. I am trimming fan leaves pretty aggressively now.

2013-May-Two-and-Three.jpg

Two has been in training 31 days, Three in training 23 days. One has been in training 37 days.

Here's the base of Plant One in the 10-inch pot.

2013-May-One-base.jpg

And here's the main tip. The main tip is at least a foot higher than the base of the plant. One thing I've learned: the ten-inch pot is inadequate for keeping this monster main tip trained down. It looks like a Christmas tree!

2013-May-One-tip1.jpg

And here are all three on the shelf together. One is at left, Two in the middle, and poor Three once again pushed to the side.

2013-May-all-shelf.jpg

I think in the future I'm either going to have to stick to two plants, or make another shelf/lights area for growing. This is about three square feet and it is not enough room for all three plants to get what they need.

Ah well, live and learn and continue to practice ;)

I wanted to add that I love the BioThrive organic fertilizer. Stuff really stinks, which is not so great, but I haven't seen the slightest sign of any deficiencies, and growth has been really strong on all three plants.

Edit to add: this thread is really useful in giving me a chance to look at the grow more carefully, so thanks for providing a place for that.

In looking at the pictures, I can see that the problem here is that main tip of One, which is up so high that I've got the 125 watt CFL raised so far that Two and Three aren't getting the light they need to grow faster. So if I don't go to flower quite yet, I think I'll tie the main tip of One to the shelf, to bring it in line with the rest of the plants. Then I can lower the main fluro-wing CFL at least a foot and the other plants will be much happier.

I wanted to add that I love the BioThrive organic fertilizer. Stuff really stinks, which is not so great, but I haven't seen the slightest sign of any deficiencies, and growth has been really strong on all three plants.

Edit to add: this thread is really useful in giving me a chance to look at the grow more carefully, so thanks for providing a place for that.

In looking at the pictures, I can see that the problem here is that main tip of One, which is up so high that I've got the 125 watt CFL raised so far that Two and Three aren't getting the light they need to grow faster. So if I don't go to flower quite yet, I think I'll tie the main tip of One to the shelf, to bring it in line with the rest of the plants. Then I can lower the main fluro-wing CFL at least a foot and the other plants will be much happier.

Good work man! Are you using the GO BOX? Its what I use and I am reading more and more about it. Seems I have made a few mistakes with it. No need to PH it. It will PH its self according to the plants needs.

Hey hank123! No, I picked up a bottle of BioThrive Grow and one of BioThrive Bloom for my regular houseplants, actually. :) Didn't know about the GO Box, but it's got some nice stuff in it. Thanks for the tip.

I haven't even take a pH reading, to tell the truth. I'm seeing no signs of fertilizer burn, no salts on top of the soil at all. I add the fertilizer a little below recommended strength every second or third watering. That's all.

Hey hank123! No, I picked up a bottle of BioThrive Grow and one of BioThrive Bloom for my regular houseplants, actually. :) Didn't know about the GO Box, but it's got some nice stuff in it. Thanks for the tip.

I haven't even take a pH reading, to tell the truth. I'm seeing no signs of fertilizer burn, no salts on top of the soil at all. I add the fertilizer a little below recommended strength every second or third watering. That's all.

Nice work. I would pick up a go box. About 40 bucks with tax and comes with lots of good stuff. At your point I would start steeping up the feedings. The organic nutes are not as hard on them. If you get the go box start around 1/3 then little more then half then close to full. see how they react. if they are good then start moving to the heavy dose. I used them almost every watering.

Anyone else please post on this.

Hank123 has given you some good advice. i use the General Hydroponics 3 part Flora series myself, if you wanted to go with organic growing General Organics could be a way to get all needed nutrients for your grow. i have 6 quarts of General Organics products myself. you will want to add as much nutrients as your plant requires as it grows to maximize the amount of medicine your plant can produce. if you see a sign of problems go back to pH adjusted water till the problem subsides. whatever nutrients you decide to use, you want to gradually increase the amount given so as not to nutrient burn your plants and still feed what they require for nutrients for optimal growth.

Back
Top Bottom