Let's grow some Weed!

I am treating my 2nd grow plant for fungus gnats ....
I had repotted her with DR. Earth Pro Biotic Soil and I didn't go thru the sterilizing cycle with the soil and low and behold a bug problem.
I haven't watered the plant in several days and will try a 1/4 solution of hydrogen peroxide in a few days.

IMG_02752.jpg

I have a yellow sticky card to help control the gnats
IMG_02742.jpg

And I have treated the soil with this stuff:
IMG_02802.jpg

Hey Joe I can relate to your first post I have grown before but that consisted of sticking a seed in the ground and watering once in a while. So I considered myself skilled HA!
I started a Hydro grow recently
Stealthy's NL/BB Hydro Grow
and its a very steep learning curve I been trying to kill 3 poor little plants but damn their tough buggers.
I think Ive got the basics now but its been fun.
I try to get the wife involved but she just likes to look at them and name them oh well better with only one Chief and one Indian right?
Looks like your doing good there cloning and germination are skills that take time like anything I guess.
Well goodluck

My 2nd grow plant is showing some white hairs sticking out! I have been sexing the plant for 2 weeks now and I'm pretty sure we have a GIRL!

IMG_05262.jpg

My 2nd grow plant is showing signs of stress from treating her for fungus gnats...
They are a real bugger to treat...

IMG_0528.jpg

JC,
Looking good. Hope you get a handle on the bugs. I need to start learning the cloning process.

One tip, fill your buckets within about 1" of the top. No point in a 5-gallon bucket if it has 4-gallons of soil.

+1 hes actually got about 3.5 gals, so yah fillerup

Hey Joe how is that hydorgen peroxide solutin working out for you?

Thanks for asking! Well it's been a tough battle and I was less than 24 hours away from pulling the plant out of the pot and transplanting into a new container. The ONLY thing that had held me back was the new container was not as large as the 1st. I had already prepared a new soil mix and had sterilized the soil by baking in the oven at 300'.

Here's what's happening at the war front with the fungus gnats...

Indoor Pharm Product: $14.95 This product specifically identifies that it kills fungus gnats by suffocating them in oil.... PHOOOHEY!!! It didn't work!

3% Hydrogen Peroxide 25% diluted with water: $1.00 I read it kills fungus gnats on contact.... PHOOOHEY! Didn't work...

Hot Shot Kitchen Bug Killer: $3.95 This stuff mowed them buggers down!!!!!!!!! I had applied for the first time yesterday and they were all gone... Today I could only find 1 fungus gnat flying so I reapplied.

Hopefully this is the answer...... otherwise I am going to transplant with fresh soil into a new container.

IMG_03023.jpg

IMG_03043.jpg

JC,
Looking good. Hope you get a handle on the bugs. I need to start learning the cloning process.

I am currently trying the process that I had read from this tutorial.

How to Clone a Cannabis Plant

Here's what's happening with the cloning process:

So far to date I have lost 2 clones that I had attempted using a method demonstrated to me at the local hydroponics shop.

I have since then replaced the two failed attempts utilizing the process in the above tutorial.. The clones are only a few days old so the jury is still out on whether or not I am successful.

My overall opinion on cloning is that it isn't as easy as it seems.

IMG_03013.jpg

Glad you got a handle on those little suckers. I think the hydrogen solution you used might have been too weak of a solution. I used a quart of hydrogen peroxide per gallon of water. My plants didnt show any affect of too much peroxide and my gnat problem went way down, but yea you are right, I still have a few buzzing around. Where I am at the weather is getting real cold, teens and that seems to have an affect on them too. At least my girls are nice and warm with the little space heater, relay and tstat that I made. My grow room is built in my unconditioned garage. If I didnt have that heat going, I bet my girls would have froze to death as we are going down to single digit tonight.

Glad you got a handle on those little suckers. I think the hydrogen solution you used might have been too weak of a solution. I used a quart of hydrogen peroxide per gallon of water. My plants didnt show any affect of too much peroxide and my gnat problem went way down, but yea you are right, I still have a few buzzing around. Where I am at the weather is getting real cold, teens and that seems to have an affect on them too. At least my girls are nice and warm with the little space heater, relay and tstat that I made. My grow room is built in my unconditioned garage. If I didnt have that heat going, I bet my girls would have froze to death as we are going down to single digit tonight.

I poured the hydrogen solution straight on those gnats and it wasn't killing them.. I liked the idea of the hydrogen solution because it made sense the plant would like it based on the chemical formula of H2o2. The spray definitely is wiping them out and I have zero tolerance to the Gnat problem expanding to my other plant(s) and possibly ruining them.

Based on your description I think it's fair to say your North of where I live even though the forecast is calling for flurries by the weekend. My grow is in the basement so the girls will just have to learn to thrive on temperatures around 74f.

Teen's? Yikes, thought it was cold here in the low 30's. I've been allowing the night time (lights out) room temp to lower to 65 to emulate temperate outdoor conditions as the plant nears completion. I hope to compare results, and effects when I grow this same strain (clones) next Spring, when the room maintains warmer temp's at night. From what I've read, cooler temp's just slow growth, therefore I should expect an increase. Have to wait and see.

As to your question regarding clone roots developing, I was surprised when the two clones I took a few weeks ago showed roots after 10 days. But all strains are different, some are just slow starters.

Nice looking crop of MJ you have going on!

Teen's? Yikes, thought it was cold here in the low 30's. I've been allowing the night time (lights out) room temp to lower to 65 to emulate temperate outdoor conditions as the plant nears completion. I hope to compare results, and effects when I grow this same strain (clones) next Spring, when the room maintains warmer temp's at night. From what I've read, cooler temp's just slow growth, therefore I should expect an increase. Have to wait and see.

As to your question regarding clone roots developing, I was surprised when the two clones I took a few weeks ago showed roots after 10 days. But all strains are different, some are just slow starters.

Nice looking crop of MJ you have going on!

I have been doing the 12/12 lighting as well and plan on continue doing it. It doesn't seem to have a negative effect on my plants and it lowers the cost of electricity.

I hate winter weather... I wish it would be spring all year long...

I am currently trying the process that I had read from this tutorial.

How to Clone a Cannabis Plant

Here's what's happening with the cloning process:

So far to date I have lost 2 clones that I had attempted using a method demonstrated to me at the local hydroponics shop.

I have since then replaced the two failed attempts utilizing the process in the above tutorial.. The clones are only a few days old so the jury is still out on whether or not I am successful.

My overall opinion on cloning is that it isn't as easy as it seems.

Will you be trying a simple wick cloner soon? Again, it is not fast but works well and needs practically zero maintenance. If you need clones for your grow method, I would recommend making one and using it along with your other methods to see what works best for you.

Will you be trying a simple wick cloner soon? Again, it is not fast but works well and needs practically zero maintenance. If you need clones for your grow method, I would recommend making one and using it along with your other methods to see what works best for you.

No doubt about the fact that there is a need to experiment with the cloning until I find a method that works. I don't consider losing a clone as a failure it's just more like I need to refine my methods...
Most importantly I am learning and it interests me...

Back
Top Bottom