Let's grow some Weed!

Retired Three

Well I guess the time has come that I start a Grow Journal! Up until now i just felt that it just wasn't exciting especially considering the fact that the wife and I had only decided to grow a "plant" for laugh and giggles and to help make us feel "younger".

When we found 420 magazine it just was "in line" with our interest so therefore it humored us. little did either of us know that growing a plant would be such a challenge.

Over the months of our grow we had found it to be something that was mentally interesting and from there it suddenly became a hobby.

7 Months later we have found it to become not only a hobby but something we have both found of interest and mutual growth.

Thanks to all of the really great people here we have found ourselves "growing" along with our plants with a new interest and meaning of life.

My wife and I hope that this journal will help all of the "newbies" and "regulars" realize the "enjoyment" of just growing a plant for "fun"!

Ok! Getting high from it really helps to!

My friends who smoke are more excited than we are! We give away a few joints to our "old" friends and they are soooooooo thrilled! This is not a for "profit" thing this is all about reliving the joys of our youth!

Ok Let's get started here:

This is the only seed I have been able to Germinate from some seeds I had bought in the Spring of this year. Here is the description from the web page that I had bought the seed from:

Mixed pack of premium marijuana seeds. A selection of our top premium seeds like White Widow, plus Indica and sativa hybrids. Our mixed marijuana seeds are suitable for indoors, outdoors or the green house. It also offers an interesting lucky dip of seeds and an inexpensive way of trying out several seed varieties.
Seeds are not individually labelled.

Indica/Sativa mix

As far as nutrients go I had switched over to Fox Farms Grow Big & Big Bloom

The Potting Soil: Dr. Earth Pro Biotic Pot Soil
(And may I note that I feel this soil was contaminated with a tiny flying black Bug) I now have to deal with this problem and dummy me I was so excited about buying a high end potting soil that it never occurred to me to sterilize the potting soil before using the product.

Oh yeah! She (I hope she is a she) was born Sept. 20 and we are currently in day 7 of sexing (the 12/12 thing).

Current lighting setup: #5 100 watt equivalent CFL bulbs (uses 26 watts each) and #1 300 watt equivalent CFL bulb using 76 watts.

IMG_02604.jpg

My Amateur Grower friend "FREAKED" me out last week when he came over to visit and took a good look at my new 2nd. Grow Plant and came up with some pretty convincing commentary scaring me into thinking my new grow which I sourced from a seed bank could very possibly be a "MALE" plant.

I am currently in Day 7 of sexing this plant (lights 12/12) and still no signs of sex...

None the less this "triggers" me into "PLAN B" because I really want to harvest my first grow soon and start smoking it. I was so "Freaked out" I actually started to panic realizing that if the plant is a male I will have to start all over and for the "life" of me I can't get any seeds to germinate.

Now here's the funny part I don't have a "Plan B" LOL! In my panicked state I PM'd a couple of friends here at 420 magazine and asked them "how" to clone a cannabis plant. (Thanks Spike & Oldgrowerdude) They both gave me a quick tutorial and a list of "stuff" that I would need...

Well I started cruising the internet trying to find a source for "Clonex" so that I could clone my 1st grow female plant before I harvest her. Low and behold I found on the Clonex web site a list of vendors who sold the product and one of them was located in my area! I was soooooooooo thrilled and ran out there on Friday (the next day) so I could begin the cloning process immediately. When I got to the hydroponics store it was like a weed growers paradise.

The Hydroponics store is a Weed Growers Paradise they had it all on Display! Grow Rooms! Grow Tents all sizes! Halite Lighting! T5 Lighting! Hydroponic setups! AND a really wonderful helpful staff willing to answer all of my "NEWBIE" questions. The woman who helped me out gave me a "live" demonstration on how to clone a plant and then recommended what supplies gave her the best results.

Well $80 some dollars later I purchased a heated "HYDROFARM Hot House w/6" dome" for germination and cloning! Rootech Original Cloning Gel and RAPID ROOTER plant starters (a bag of 50). I can clone a FARM NOW!!! lol!

Well I rushed home a immediately cloned 2 plants from my first grow plant and here they are!!!!

IMG_02731.jpg

I also have 3 seeds that are in a pot and I have been trying to start from scratch from 4 weeks ago. I thought maybe it's a good idea to stick them in the Hot House... Maybe I will get lucky with one of them.

This just gets more fun all the time!!!!!!!!!!

Welcome to the show Joe! Just a tip, but you'll want to keep those new babies moist, both seeds, and clones, and I'd also cut a third off the ends of the leaves to promote root growth.

Good luck!

Welcome to the show Joe! Just a tip, but you'll want to keep those new babies moist, both seeds, and clones, and I'd also cut a third off the ends of the leaves to promote root growth.

Good luck!

How long does it take for roots to develop? How long should I leave them in to germinate? I'm still going to clone a few more.... I just wanted to make sure I knew what I am doing!

How long does it take for roots to develop? How long should I leave them in to germinate? I'm still going to clone a few more.... I just wanted to make sure I knew what I am doing!

Roots can take a few weeks from a cutting to show through. May be different in your setup, but my wick cloner can take that long.

Wick Cloner: simple, cheap and effective

Check out my wick cloner above.

Hat's off to ya Munki! There's nothing like putting together a setup with items found around the house and I like the cost! I was going to rig up my own stuff but when I found the Hydroponics store and they had all of the gear I was looking for I pulled my credit card out so fast it all became just a blur.... LOL! I really didn't expect to find a store locally that had everything I was looking for... Oh yeah... I was looking for a quick fix...

Yea Joe I'm on board, got the couch locked :roorrip: and looking foward to the new grow. Munkis poormans cloning setup ROCKS! I did a similar thing to what he did except I put my cups directly in the water and I was getting real good roots btwn 7 to 10 days. I cloned too many plants and passed along what I could but still I had 7 too many and ultimately I let them go to the wayside as I thought that I might have freaked them out into hermies by being in the cups stressed out for so long they died. Man I wish I could have sent those your way. If you want to see it Ray Gunn Gallery - 420 Magazine Photo Gallery

Hay whats up Joe thanks for the invitation to the grow party lol!

On that cloning aspect I have another cheap soultion. I've heard of a method that only requires beer cups (20inch plastic), a bag of pro-mix hp or any other peat-based soiless mix, cutting scissor or rasor blade, and you fav nutes. Dip 'n' grow is also a plus when considering root developement and time. Its up to you to put holes or not in the bottom of your cup.

Fill the cups up with the soilless mix. Then cut a clone with a long stem up to 9inches or longer. Remove all the lower branches below that 6inches. With the clone planted water each cup with 4 ounces of half strength nutes and place them a few undew the flouresents. In a week or two they'll have roots!

Looking great joe, I get a kick from just wanting to see a little seed form too now a clone setup with to nice ones starting out you grow joe Pease

Joe, thought you might also want to check out the sub forum 'Seeds, Clones, and Strains', has some great info on cloning.

Looking great joe, I get a kick from just wanting to see a little seed form too now a clone setup with to nice ones starting out you grow joe Pease

Thanks! I am really getting a kick out of this and I'm learning too!

Here's a new surprise thanks to my new heated germination station!
I had 3 seeds that I couldn't get to germinate so I threw the pot in the germinator and SUPRISE! SUPRISE!

A NEW SEED Start!

www.420magazine.com/gallery/data/500/IMG_02783.jpg

IMG_02783.jpg

Here's a peak at my first grow plant.
It appears she has kicked in with some new shoots at the top of the plant!
She is loaded with small to medium sized buds.
The switch to Fox Farms nutrients seems to beginning to have a positive effect on her...
No more MIRACLE GROW.... It just made my plants sick.

IMG_02762.jpg

Back
Top Bottom