Lil Neutrino's 2nd Indoor CFL - Bagseed Planted New Year's Eve During the Blue Moon

Lil Neutrino

Planted four seeds during the blue moon on New Year's Eve to try and kick the new year off right...last year began with an unexpected trip to the hospital for my gf and being laid off, hopefully this one goes better. No pics, they're all in your run-of-the-mill red plastic drinking cups with soil substrate (FFOF). Details below:

What strain is it? Wait and see

Is it Indica, Sativa or Hybrid? It's actually your common variety surprise species.

Is it in Veg or Flower stage? Germinating

Indoor or outdoor? Indoor

Soil or Hydro? Fox Farms Ocean Forest

If soil... what is in your mix? All kinds of stuff, check their web page

If soil... What size pot? 12oz plastic drinking cups atm...or maybe 11oz, or 10oz...something.

Size of light? Starting with the 10 (or is it 12?) 26W 6500K CFL's from the last time...and still have 11 (1 burned out) of the 26W 3000K CFL's for use later on. We'll see where it goes. The 6500K's are rated 1300 lumens (mean, not initial output) and I forget about the 3000K's.

Is it aircooled? Yup

Temp of Room/cab? Room varies between 65-72F, cab untested with new fans but before temps were hovering around 10-15F above ambient air temp.

RH of Room/cab? Dunno...probably pretty dry considering the cold air/heater combination.

PH of media or res? Untested and I forget what FFOF pH'd at under normal circumstances last time. I use a Milwaukee pH 600, so far so good and well worth the $20 for the peace of mind (or stress if it shows the pH is off lol).

Any Pests? Money

How often are you watering? When the soil has had a chance to go through a dry cycle...no scheduling, just listen to the plants!

Type and strength of ferts used? I have some Earth Juice Bloom and Catalyst that seemed to work pretty well.

For those who followed my first grow (link in sig) you will recognize the cabinet but I've done some modifications to it after the initial "maiden voyage". This first post will outline what I've done with pics to follow eventually as I've finally got most of the resin cleaned off my camera lens LOL! Not quite as perfectly sharp as before but plenty good for my purposes at the moment.

I refer you to the posts below that are from my first journal to give you an idea of what the cabinet looks like until I get new pics up. The power supply was moved to the outside of the cabinet on the back at the recommendation of McBudz, lowered my cabinet temp by 1F...every bit helps but other than that nothing else really changed.

It had two 50CFM computer exhaust fans (rated...reputable company but it's probably a bit under that) for a rated 100CFM and a cabinet volume of 32ft^3 so the internal air was exchanged roughly 2.5-3 times per minute. Intakes were created by cutting out three square holes in the floor to ensure I had more intake area than exhaust (it's a pressure/smell thing) and allowing air to be pulled in from the sides of the cabinet as the front and rear extend to the floor. Actually the front is about 1/4-1/2" above the ground but the carpet gives the impression it is flush, makes it easier to open for sure.

Lighting "chandeliers" were achieved with various light fixture goodies from the hardware store...pretty self explanatory. Interior is coated with white primer and sealed with 100% silicon. Other than that there's not much to describe that isn't shown in the pics.

--------------------------------------------------

CABINET CHANGES

1)
Flexing. Had to fix some minor structural issues, namely flexing of the top sheet at the front and a tiny bit on the right hand side where the latches are. Easily remedied by adding some more strips of 2X2's where there was none.

2) Light leaks from front door. This was due partially to the flexing mentioned above and a poor job of weatherstripping it in the first place. I am going to try some wider weatherstrip but haven't decided on which yet...rubber based most likely as it is more durable than foam. With the added 2X2's around the edge of the front I have a wider surface area to create a seal between the weatherstrip and the wood...before it was trying to seal along the 5/8" edge of the OSB board, worked ok but had some very minor light leaks.

3) Light leaks along the back out of the exhaust fan ports. Not for sure yet but I'm thinking some black 90 degree PVC elbows to place over the fans and silicone in to place. May move the fans to the outside of the box in that case as silicon is not usually easy to manipulate once it's dried...in my experience anyway. Also if that doesn't block enough light I'll have to see about extending the end of the elbow while trying to position the opening near the top in the center to maximize air circulation.

4) Light leaks from the intake holes in the floor. Lots of light spills out the sides of the box as you can imagine and this is something I haven't quite figured out how to remedy yet...not easily that is. I'm leaning towards some dark mesh doubled up over the intake ports with one sheet on the inside of the cab and the other sheet on the outside. The fans I am using don't have much static pressure so I have to be very careful with air flow restrictions.

5) Cabinet temp versus ambient temp. Last time my cabinet temps were on average 12F above ambient air temperature. Since it was also mid-summer and I was trying to save on utilities I ran the A/C as little as possible so my plants were seeing 85F-90F depending how hot it was that day after the lights had warmed up. Now that it is winter my indoor temps are down 10-15F so that should help immensely however I couldn't help but wonder if my air exhange rate was too low with those fans. After some research I decided to go with some 110CFM (rated) fans to replace the existing 50CFM models. Even if they only push 80% of their rating that's still about 80CFM per fan so times 2 = 160CFM divided by 32CFM = 5. So each minute I should be replacing the interior volume of air five times...six if they push 100CFM each. This is much more than the "paltry" 100CFM total I had before and should help.

6) Front door too heavy for hinges. I used three spring hinges but physics dictated that the front door was too long and heavy for those springs and required me to add a couple of casters to the other side to hold it up and ease opening/closing of the door. The wheels rarely stayed aligned and I found myself having to lift the door up slightly to open or close it or one of the casters would drag. I decided to cut the front panel in half so I have two 2' X 4' sheets. The sheet for the left side of the cabinet will be screwed in to place and sealed with silicon and the remaining sheet will be the new door but half the size. Experience showed me that I did not need that huge door for only 2-3 plants but one could easily decide to make it a double door that is hinged in the middle somehow. I haven't yet figured out how to hinge the new door to the other panel but I have figured out a way to create a nice seal at the door's pivot point. Easier to show pics when I'm done than describe...goes back to wider available surface area if anyone wants to try and figure it out. lol

7) Light fixtures. Yeah, I can't say I'm too proud of the lighting job I did last time. Meant to go back and redo it but once the plants took off there was no time. This time I have a great idea if I can make it work. Unfortunately it too is hard to describe without a picture but should have something setup this weekend. The important thing to keep in mind is that if it works it will save about 4" of mounting depth for the lights over using a power strip and the receptacle-thread converters (whatever they're called...the ones that plug in to a receptacle and have a light fixture on the other end) plus other fixture adapters and I think anyone dealing with limited space would love an extra 4" of plant height :D Beyond that it will be about as narrow as a power strip so it won't interfere with internal circulation as much as a larger, rectangular sheet of wood/metal/whatever would with the fixtures hanging underneath. Summary: Same amount of lights in the same space but requires ~4" less height and has a narrow base to mount the lights on.

8)
Latches. Original design didn't work out, used sliding latches on the edge before I realized you can't bend metal 90 degrees to lock it lol. Had to cut a chunk of wood to mount along the outer edge so that I could get the slide to work properly (pic is worth 1000 words eh?). Still completely unsure how to latch this door closed...except...NOW I'M NOT! :D Just came to me, one of those obvious solutions you overlook. I could have it latch in the middle which would make a very easy spot to mount everything and just reuse my spring hinges. However this would require me to rethink how to seal the door with weatherstrip. Hmmm...maybe time for another wake and bake session this weekend :grinjoint:

So uh....is anyone still reading this novella? lol

Re: Lil Neutrino's 2nd Indoor CFL - Bagseed planted New Year's Eve during the blue mo

Planted four seeds during the blue moon on New Year's Eve to try and kick the new year off right...last year began with an unexpected trip to the hospital for my gf and being laid off, hopefully this one goes better. No pics, they're all in your run-of-the-mill red plastic drinking cups with soil substrate (FFOF). Details below:

What strain is it? Wait and see

Is it Indica, Sativa or Hybrid? It's actually your common variety surprise species.

Is it in Veg or Flower stage? Germinating

Indoor or outdoor? Indoor

Soil or Hydro? Fox Farms Ocean Forest

If soil... what is in your mix? All kinds of stuff, check their web page

If soil... What size pot? 12oz plastic drinking cups atm...or maybe 11oz, or 10oz...something.

Size of light? Starting with the 10 (or is it 12?) 26W 6500K CFL's from the last time...and still have 11 (1 burned out) of the 26W 3000K CFL's for use later on. We'll see where it goes. The 6500K's are rated 1300 lumens (mean, not initial output) and I forget about the 3000K's.

Is it aircooled? Yup

Temp of Room/cab? Room varies between 65-72F, cab untested with new fans but before temps were hovering around 10-15F above ambient air temp.

RH of Room/cab? Dunno...probably pretty dry considering the cold air/heater combination.

PH of media or res? Untested and I forget what FFOF pH'd at under normal circumstances last time. I use a Milwaukee pH 600, so far so good and well worth the $20 for the peace of mind (or stress if it shows the pH is off lol).

Any Pests? Money

How often are you watering? When the soil has had a chance to go through a dry cycle...no scheduling, just listen to the plants!

Type and strength of ferts used? I have some Earth Juice Bloom and Catalyst that seemed to work pretty well.

For those who followed my first grow (link in sig) you will recognize the cabinet but I've done some modifications to it after the initial "maiden voyage". This first post will outline what I've done with pics to follow eventually as I've finally got most of the resin cleaned off my camera lens LOL! Not quite as perfectly sharp as before but plenty good for my purposes at the moment.

I refer you to the posts below that are from my first journal to give you an idea of what the cabinet looks like until I get new pics up. The power supply was moved to the outside of the cabinet on the back at the recommendation of McBudz, lowered my cabinet temp by 1F...every bit helps but other than that nothing else really changed.

It had two 50CFM computer exhaust fans (rated...reputable company but it's probably a bit under that) for a rated 100CFM and a cabinet volume of 32ft^3 so the internal air was exchanged roughly 2.5-3 times per minute. Intakes were created by cutting out three square holes in the floor to ensure I had more intake area than exhaust (it's a pressure/smell thing) and allowing air to be pulled in from the sides of the cabinet as the front and rear extend to the floor. Actually the front is about 1/4-1/2" above the ground but the carpet gives the impression it is flush, makes it easier to open for sure.

Lighting "chandeliers" were achieved with various light fixture goodies from the hardware store...pretty self explanatory. Interior is coated with white primer and sealed with 100% silicon. Other than that there's not much to describe that isn't shown in the pics.

--------------------------------------------------

CABINET CHANGES

1)
Flexing. Had to fix some minor structural issues, namely flexing of the top sheet at the front and a tiny bit on the right hand side where the latches are. Easily remedied by adding some more strips of 2X2's where there was none.

2) Light leaks from front door. This was due partially to the flexing mentioned above and a poor job of weatherstripping it in the first place. I am going to try some wider weatherstrip but haven't decided on which yet...rubber based most likely as it is more durable than foam. With the added 2X2's around the edge of the front I have a wider surface area to create a seal between the weatherstrip and the wood...before it was trying to seal along the 5/8" edge of the OSB board, worked ok but had some very minor light leaks.

3) Light leaks along the back out of the exhaust fan ports. Not for sure yet but I'm thinking some black 90 degree PVC elbows to place over the fans and silicone in to place. May move the fans to the outside of the box in that case as silicon is not usually easy to manipulate once it's dried...in my experience anyway. Also if that doesn't block enough light I'll have to see about extending the end of the elbow while trying to position the opening near the top in the center to maximize air circulation.

4) Light leaks from the intake holes in the floor. Lots of light spills out the sides of the box as you can imagine and this is something I haven't quite figured out how to remedy yet...not easily that is. I'm leaning towards some dark mesh doubled up over the intake ports with one sheet on the inside of the cab and the other sheet on the outside. The fans I am using don't have much static pressure so I have to be very careful with air flow restrictions.

5) Cabinet temp versus ambient temp. Last time my cabinet temps were on average 12F above ambient air temperature. Since it was also mid-summer and I was trying to save on utilities I ran the A/C as little as possible so my plants were seeing 85F-90F depending how hot it was that day after the lights had warmed up. Now that it is winter my indoor temps are down 10-15F so that should help immensely however I couldn't help but wonder if my air exhange rate was too low with those fans. After some research I decided to go with some 110CFM (rated) fans to replace the existing 50CFM models. Even if they only push 80% of their rating that's still about 80CFM per fan so times 2 = 160CFM divided by 32CFM = 5. So each minute I should be replacing the interior volume of air five times...six if they push 100CFM each. This is much more than the "paltry" 100CFM total I had before and should help.

6) Front door too heavy for hinges. I used three spring hinges but physics dictated that the front door was too long and heavy for those springs and required me to add a couple of casters to the other side to hold it up and ease opening/closing of the door. The wheels rarely stayed aligned and I found myself having to lift the door up slightly to open or close it or one of the casters would drag. I decided to cut the front panel in half so I have two 2' X 4' sheets. The sheet for the left side of the cabinet will be screwed in to place and sealed with silicon and the remaining sheet will be the new door but half the size. Experience showed me that I did not need that huge door for only 2-3 plants but one could easily decide to make it a double door that is hinged in the middle somehow. I haven't yet figured out how to hinge the new door to the other panel but I have figured out a way to create a nice seal at the door's pivot point. Easier to show pics when I'm done than describe...goes back to wider available surface area if anyone wants to try and figure it out. lol

7) Light fixtures. Yeah, I can't say I'm too proud of the lighting job I did last time. Meant to go back and redo it but once the plants took off there was no time. This time I have a great idea if I can make it work. Unfortunately it too is hard to describe without a picture but should have something setup this weekend. The important thing to keep in mind is that if it works it will save about 4" of mounting depth for the lights over using a power strip and the receptacle-thread converters (whatever they're called...the ones that plug in to a receptacle and have a light fixture on the other end) plus other fixture adapters and I think anyone dealing with limited space would love an extra 4" of plant height :D Beyond that it will be about as narrow as a power strip so it won't interfere with internal circulation as much as a larger, rectangular sheet of wood/metal/whatever would with the fixtures hanging underneath. Summary: Same amount of lights in the same space but requires ~4" less height and has a narrow base to mount the lights on.

8)
Latches. Original design didn't work out, used sliding latches on the edge before I realized you can't bend metal 90 degrees to lock it lol. Had to cut a chunk of wood to mount along the outer edge so that I could get the slide to work properly (pic is worth 1000 words eh?). Still completely unsure how to latch this door closed...except...NOW I'M NOT! :D Just came to me, one of those obvious solutions you overlook. I could have it latch in the middle which would make a very easy spot to mount everything and just reuse my spring hinges. However this would require me to rethink how to seal the door with weatherstrip. Hmmm...maybe time for another wake and bake session this weekend :grinjoint:

So uh....is anyone still reading this novella? lol

What a tease.....:ganjamon::peace:

Re: Lil Neutrino's 2nd Indoor CFL - Bagseed planted New Year's Eve during the blue mo

Haha...you're right, but you have to admit it was informative ;)

Here is a pic of the first seed to sprout...eight days to break the surface and get the top off the ground. Hopefully the other three aren't duds, if they are I have a couple more I can try. They've been sitting on the mantle above the fireplace to make sure the soil gets warm and I've been keeping the water bottle next to the fire as well to keep it warm so it doesn't cool the soil too much.

Sprout_002_rsz.jpg

Hi Lil Neutrino Yes it was informative I have to admit.:ganjamon:

Man. 8 days.....I hate that when they take so long. I hope your others pop up soon. Glad you have some in reserve. All joking aside, I hope you have good grow my friend. I'll be rooting for you. Sounds like you really put in some hard work on getting it all ready. CFLs Rule :goodjob:

Thanks OMM :) I hate it when they take that long too...these seeds can be pretty old. For those who did not catch my first journal the seeds I am using I have been collecting for about five years or so which means these seeds could be anywhere from one year to five years old, stored in a desk drawer in a medicine bottle most of the time. They were not placed in a refrigerator until March of 2009 so viability is pretty iffy so even if I only get one out of four to germinate I don't consider that too bad all things considered lol. I have five more seeds that I will probably plant tomorrow and see what happens. I figure out of nine seeds total I may get five to sprout at best and of those five at least two will probably wind up being male given my experience lol. So that leaves three which will fit perfectly in my cabinet, I can squeeze four if need be and two works out very nicely as well...fingers crossed!

I put the seedling I posted above in the cabinet with two 26W 6500K CFL's on it and the same fan from last time to provide air movement even though it is not finished. I mainly wanted to get some lighting on it to stop it from stretching any more than it has.

Also hit a snag...hardware store did not have the fixtures it did the last time I purchased some so my previous plan may not pan out. I have a backup plan and also found something at a good price somewhere. Pics if I decide to purchase.

Had a second seed pop today...2 out of 4 in 9 days, not too bad imho. Gonna give the other two until next weekend sometime, haven't decided on a cut-off date. With my experience last time I would prefer at least three to sprout but maybe I'll get lucky with females this time.

Had a second seed pop today...2 out of 4 in 9 days, not too bad imho. Gonna give the other two until next weekend sometime, haven't decided on a cut-off date. With my experience last time I would prefer at least three to sprout but maybe I'll get lucky with females this time.

I sure hope you do too Bro Put 3 fem'd in today planning for my next grow. I had started 4 more, but spent a couple of days in bed not feeling good, but they were wasted when I went to check. Good luck to us both:ganjamon:

No real updates yet...waiting for that other sprout to break the surface still and the other one pictured above is the usual purple-stemmed green-leafed seedling. I have been unable to really do any work to the cabinet all week as my gf is going on day 4 of a serious migraine (unbelievable, didn't know they could go that long) with an average pain rating of 8-9 on a scale of 10. She's been taking Celebrex (200mg, anti-inflammatory), Frova (2.5mg, anti-migraine, works on 5-HT receptors iirc), Flexaril (10mg, muscle relaxer), and Vicodin (5mg, painkiller)...plus our meds and it's barely fazing it. Seems the expeeeeensive Frova ($50 copay for 9 pills a month) either does not work at all or actually makes it worse so that was a waste of money. She has an MRI scheduled soon too, seems like a repeat of last January (I'm laid off and she's having medical problems, at least not in the hospital this time) :(

Anyway with her migraine persisting all week I can't cut any wood, screw any screws, or really do anything as we live in a small, humble abode. Hopefully it'll go away soon for her sanity more than anything. I'll update again when I get a chance to work on the cabinet.

No real updates yet...waiting for that other sprout to break the surface still and the other one pictured above is the usual purple-stemmed green-leafed seedling. I have been unable to really do any work to the cabinet all week as my gf is going on day 4 of a serious migraine (unbelievable, didn't know they could go that long) with an average pain rating of 8-9 on a scale of 10. She's been taking Celebrex (200mg, anti-inflammatory), Frova (2.5mg, anti-migraine, works on 5-HT receptors iirc), Flexaril (10mg, muscle relaxer), and Vicodin (5mg, painkiller)...plus our meds and it's barely fazing it. Seems the expeeeeensive Frova ($50 copay for 9 pills a month) either does not work at all or actually makes it worse so that was a waste of money. She has an MRI scheduled soon too, seems like a repeat of last January (I'm laid off and she's having medical problems, at least not in the hospital this time) :(

Anyway with her migraine persisting all week I can't cut any wood, screw any screws, or really do anything as we live in a small, humble abode. Hopefully it'll go away soon for her sanity more than anything. I'll update again when I get a chance to work on the cabinet.

Oh!Man! Now that sucks for her. She is the important thing now. I hope it breaks soon. Sending good wishes to her. :peace:

Thanks OMM...the doc gave her a different anti-migraine med to try that seemed to actually have an effect, it wound up lasting 4.5 days total but she's still really sore from all the tensing and whatnot. Nothing a lil medicine can't help :)

So I still haven't gotten around to doing the cabinet upgrades but should be soon...in the meantime here is a pic of the second one that sprouted, can't say it looks all that great but my experience with freshly germinated seedlings is still pretty limited. It seems to be a bit white but has finally begun to turn a little green with some chlorophyll so I'm hoping the lights will help influence it to produce more. It could just be damaged genetics as these seeds could be up to four years old and not always kept the coolest.

1-17-10_031_rsz.jpg

Pic of the first sprout...and I must say it is quite the odd looking seedling. The first set of true leaves are shaped a bit weird and one even has a slight mutation to it. Almost like it tried to grow another leaf but decided at the last second not to lol. You can see it on the bottom of the leaf on the left near the stalk. Another oddity in my limited experience is the new growth. I thought it was brown and was having a hard time believing it was being burned as the temp has yet to break 80F and averages 70-77 depending if the lights are on or off (just four 26W CFL's so far). My gf said they looked red so I took some pics and sure enough...they're a reddish/purple color. I know the stems often have a dark purple color especially in younger plants but on the new growth is a new one to me.

Anyone else seen this before?
1-17-10_033_rsz.jpg

Hi Lil Neutrino:ganjamon:

Glad you lady is feeling better. :surf:

That second picture? I have no idea what that is, but I think it's beautiful,
too bad there is no Sprout of the Month contest, that baby would win. Let it grow man, it could be spectacular later. I love things like that. The unknown.:clap::rofl::clap:

Hey Lil Neutrino,
Good to see you back on the scene, im back and recently started a new grow also!

As to your redy colour, ive seen a few other memebers look similar, i will try and find their journals and take a closer look. Strains can have all red stems, but normaly it turns later in the flowering stage.

Hope all's well!

:peace:

Subscribed :bongrip:. Interesting little plant you got there, should be an interesting grow.

Hey Lil Neutrino,
Good to see you back on the scene, im back and recently started a new grow also!

As to your redy colour, ive seen a few other memebers look similar, i will try and find their journals and take a closer look. Strains can have all red stems, but normaly it turns later in the flowering stage.

Hope all's well!

Hi fuuji, good to see ya around again! I'll check out your second grow too, this one is not off to the best start lol. I remember all of my other seedlings from the previous grow had the purple stem but not on the actual new growth at the top of the plant, that's what is throwing me off.

Subscribed :bongrip:. Interesting little plant you got there, should be an interesting grow.

Hopefully so...about to try and germ the other seeds I have and see what happens. I'd like at least two plants to tend to this time around!

Lil Neutrino! Your back man, that's great! Looks like I'm not the only one to have sprouted a mutant! Hope it turns out to be a female, both my mutants had 6 tops growing and both turned male. Hope you have better luck than I did.

My JW strain is so unstable when they first sprout out but they look good now. Welcome back brother!

Lil Neutrino! Your back man, that's great! Looks like I'm not the only one to have sprouted a mutant! Hope it turns out to be a female, both my mutants had 6 tops growing and both turned male. Hope you have better luck than I did.

My JW strain is so unstable when they first sprout out but they look good now. Welcome back brother!

Good to be back! Hopefully I'll have better luck than you did...I can't tell if the other seedling has grown a little or if the soil packed down but for now I'm considering it a dead plant in a cup.

She might be that once in a blue moon plant!!!! :grinjoint:

Hmmm...hopefully you're on to something, maybe that and the mountain air!

Couple of update pics, the new growth is starting to take off and reach for the lights. Still a bit odd colored on the edges but I'm not complaining. The new growth looks more like what I'm accustomed to seeing but still very "gnarly" (literally and figuratively).

This is 19 days since it was planted, it took 8 days to break the surface, so 11 days as a surface dweller.

1-19-10_003_rsz.jpg

1-19-10_005_rsz.jpg

Kinda starting off like a bride of frankenstein, she looks healthy though, just kinda different :smokin:.

"if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, get an ugly girl and make her your... ?" Sorry that was supposed to be a oldies song, I forget who from but.. You get the picture.

Don't judge a book by its ugly ass cover?

Back
Top Bottom