LKV 420 Outdoor Grow Journal 2022

Hiya LKV!

I'm kinda in the same boat - trying to dial in my dry / burp / cure process to optimize bud flavor and aroma. I wash and hang to dry for a few hours, then I dry in the fridge. I think where I went wrong is I jarred for burping when the RH was around 62%. I think is better to dry until it's around 66-68% RH, then place into jars and burp twice each day for a week, then burp once per day for a week. Slowly getting the RH down to 62% over a 2 week time frame.
And per Shed "it's not just about lowering the RH% - it's also about air exchange."

Hiya LKV!

I'm kinda in the same boat - trying to dial in my dry / burp / cure process to optimize bud flavor and aroma. I wash and hang to dry for a few hours, then I dry in the fridge. I think where I went wrong is I jarred for burping when the RH was around 62%. I think is better to dry until it's around 66-68% RH, then place into jars and burp twice each day for a week, then burp once per day for a week. Slowly getting the RH down to 62% over a 2 week time frame.
And per Shed "it's not just about lowering the RH% - it's also about air exchange."
I dried to 68 last year then burped in jars still smells like hay. May be the bud wash with lemon juice and bkg soda that’s killing the smell

I dried to 68 last year then burped in jars still smells like hay. May be the bud wash with lemon juice and bkg soda that’s killing the smell
Interesting.
Others here wash with no issues.
On Shed’s recommendation I switched to citric acid and baking soda to see if that improves terpene aroma.

How many days between harvest and sealing the jars for curing? I recommend 21 days to allow the chlorophyll to leave: ideally that's 7 days hanging, 7 days burping twice a day, and 7 days of burping once a day. If I can't hang them for 7 days I add days to the first burp week.
After bud wash and wet trim, early morning harvest, they are hung same day in dry room at 60% RH for 7 days. this puts them at about 65 to 68 when they go into jars and then are burped daily for a month them once a week till they settle at 62RH. No matter what they smell like dry hay.

This has been a really shit month for me. My best friend, 14 yr old Shihtzu has gone into heart failure and fading fast several ER visits this week.:(😫 I just got my lab results snipped of one plant (still in pot) cut on 10/4 and the results suck. I'm hoping it gets higher the longer I wait to harvest without loosing to bud rot.
It's so disheartening to grow shitty strains. Makes me want to throw in the towel.

So sorry to hear about your puppy. :(

How do the ones that smell like hay smoke? Harsh? Any flavor?

In terms of testing, THC is not the sole factor that determines the effects of cannabis. Have you smoked any testers yet?
no I haven't not smoked any of this years harvest yet, will wait till it cures. Last years harvest I haven't smoked since last year. I think it was smooth not harsh, but not much taste to it. Thanks for the encouragement.
Screen Shot 2022-10-08 at 10.25.56 AM.png

One note, Since all my plants (leaves) all looked a bit different, They could be all different strains. Sure wish I could afford to test them all but I will just do it buy smoking and testing when they dry. 3 are still drinking

Sorry about your puppy.

Hang in there with your grow. The longer you can wait the better - even if you end up losing some to rot. I also get discouraged when I hit bumps in the road. Stick to your plan.

@GratefulBud Did you continue to have the issue of hay smell after switching to citric acid?
I just now tried it on my harvest earlier this week. So far no issues. Buds are currently drying in the fridge. I'm nervous as hell hoping the terpenes remain. So far so good.

@GratefulBud Did you continue to have the issue of hay smell after switching to citric acid?
Wow you dry in the FRIDGE? why? I've been reading a lot about Lemon juice and bkg soda causing the buds to look a little "brown"and not smell good after they dry. Also the lemon juice takes off the "sticky" from my fingers! So that had me concerned about using it again. I think I will wash with clean water only when I harvest my remaining plants and see how they smell.

Wow you dry in the FRIDGE? why? I've been reading a lot about Lemon juice and bkg soda causing the buds to look a little "brown"and not smell good after they dry. Also the lemon juice takes off the "sticky" from my fingers! So that had me concerned about using it again. I think I will wash with clean water only when I harvest my remaining plants and see how they smell.
Yeah I'm in SoCal where it is really warm. I can't dry outside, and I can't dry inside the house (wife hates the stinky smell). I found this site while searching for a way to dry in the fridge. Several users do it and swear by it. I've done it several times now and my buds were just OK. They looks great, and when you grind it they smell fantastic, but the jar smells a tad grassy. I'm searching for the sweet spot.

Back
Top Bottom