Mars-Hydro LED Grow Light Discussion

I have a question regarding heat. I read that the temp rise in the tent should only be 5 degrees higher without exhaust fans running with the lights on. I have my drivers outside the tent, three 8 inch clip fans inside for circulation and a straight oscillating (not round) fan on the outside of the tent blowing in through a side vent with the vent on the opposite side open. All the doors are zipped so the only thing open are the 2 side vents. The tent is in the basement. The exhaust is a 6 inch 350cfm pulling through a 24 inch carbon filter. There are two sp250 lights in the tent. My temp in the tent is 81 degrees f with an outdoor temp in the low 70s when the lights are on and all the fans running. Now the questions, Is the temp about what I should expect? Should I look at putting a 4 or 6 inch inline blowing into the tent to try and get the temps down further? Keep in mind, as Shultz would say " I know nothing"!!!

Hi Budlite, I am not sure what is the problem, usually if we put the driver outside, the light heat will drop down a lot. Maybe you need a little bigger tent, :hug:
I would like to ask for help from our growers. :circle-of-love:
@Old Salt @Ganjagrandaddy Do you have any clue on this? :thanks:

I just took some measurements from a 2' X 4' X 5' (60 X 120 X 150 cm) tent with a TSL=2000. The power supplies are still mounted on the light. The tent is not ventilated very well.
Before the lights come on the temp was 20°C / 68°F, rh 67%
One hour after the lights come on the temp climbed to 29°C / 84°F, rh 45% at 12" below the light
The temperature rise was 9°C / 16°F, rh dropped 22%
Temperature of the reflector was 28.9°C / 84°F
Temperature of the power supplies was 45.1°C / 113°F

From this, I'd say your results are expected. LEDs are not 100% efficient. Count on each SP-250 acting like a 75W heater, without the power supplies.

If the temperature rise is too much, pull the air from directly above your lights. I did this in my 2' X 4' X 7' (60 X 120 X 210 cm) tent with a DIY eight COB array set to 350 watts. The temperature rise below the light is negligible, even with the power supplies mounted on the light. I pull the air from three 4"-5" (10-12.5cm) diffusers. I did this mainly for more vertical grow room in the tent.

full

Exhaust From 2' X 4' (60 X 120cm) Tent

Thanks for the reply Old Salt. I did a few more tests myself and in the end I am seeing a 6° to 8° f jump with both lights on at the top of the plants. It is actually about 3° less at the top of the tent. This is with the fans running. Looks like I ain't doing too bad I guess. These temps are from in the tent, the temp throughout the basement is yet a few degrees cooler and was the number I was comparing to originally. If I use this temp then the temp rise is more like 12°. Still seems to be what is expected.

Thanks for the reply Old Salt. I did a few more tests myself and in the end I am seeing a 6° to 8° f jump with both lights on at the top of the plants. It is actually about 3° less at the top of the tent. This is with the fans running. Looks like I ain't doing too bad I guess. These temps are from in the tent, the temp throughout the basement is yet a few degrees cooler and was the number I was comparing to originally. If I use this temp then the temp rise is more like 12°. Still seems to be what is expected.

No energy conversion from one form to another is 100% efficient. There are always losses. With electrical devices such as lights, motors (fans), power supplies etc, that lost energy not converted to light or motion is converted to heat.

That heat can be useful, especially in the cold months. I let the night temperatures drop to 16°C (61°F), and the waste heat brings the temperature up to 24°C (75°F) when the lights come on.

Woot our SP 250 arrived!!! Thank you mars hydro!

Will be busy installing it when the babies are about to wake up!!!

The construction is fantastic. Happy with the "off" light so far. Just need to see what the on light does!
Haha, this may give you an idea...

2019-05-13-10-27-31.jpg
2019-05-19-07-10-07.jpg

My last group loved them!

:thumb:

Have a very close friend in Hong Kong :p
lucky you! Hongkong is a great place with a comprehensive culture and many delicious food. have you been there before? :green_heart:

I am using a 4x4 tent with two sp250s. I gather from your comment that there is something wrong then.? I was not sure if the temps were what was to be expected.
Hi Budlite, two of the SP 250 is perfect for the 4x4 tent, it will be total 460w totaly,:Namaste: and the heat output is depending on the wattage, the energy conversion. It will be something alike no matter it is a HPS or LED if using the same wattage. The way that LED save more energy and more cooling is actually because you need less light, for example, if traditional HPS, you may need 600~800w HPS, but now only 460w, and the difference in wattage, will lead to the heat dropping and energy saving. :green_heart:

I just took some measurements from a 2' X 4' X 5' (60 X 120 X 150 cm) tent with a TSL=2000. The power supplies are still mounted on the light. The tent is not ventilated very well.
Before the lights come on the temp was 20°C / 68°F, rh 67%
One hour after the lights come on the temp climbed to 29°C / 84°F, rh 45% at 12" below the light
The temperature rise was 9°C / 16°F, rh dropped 22%
Temperature of the reflector was 28.9°C / 84°F
Temperature of the power supplies was 45.1°C / 113°F

From this, I'd say your results are expected. LEDs are not 100% efficient. Count on each SP-250 acting like a 75W heater, without the power supplies.

If the temperature rise is too much, pull the air from directly above your lights. I did this in my 2' X 4' X 7' (60 X 120 X 210 cm) tent with a DIY eight COB array set to 350 watts. The temperature rise below the light is negligible, even with the power supplies mounted on the light. I pull the air from three 4"-5" (10-12.5cm) diffusers. I did this mainly for more vertical grow room in the tent.

full

Exhaust From 2' X 4' (60 X 120cm) Tent

Thanks Old Salt for giving some advices for me. :)

That plant was Pakistan Chitral kush x Erdpurt and tasted like cherry cough drops. The Mars Pro II did a fantastic job!
Thanks Penny! :circle-of-love: the only disadvantage of the light compare to other led grow lights from Mars Hydro is its' cost is higher. :green_heart: But with the promotion, the price is very nice,spent money that mars II cost can get the pro II, is really worthy a try! :ganjamon:

Back
Top Bottom