Mars-Hydro LED Grow Light Discussion

Hey Jon I just ordered an 80x5 mars II in the flower spectrum - this is the one you mimicked the a51 light specs right? Any regrets in replacing the blue w/white? Appreciate the insight and you paving the way for us less adventurous folks :)

Awesome thanks bro! Any advise for a long time hps grower in rockwool with fluoranova? Will I need calmag?
I was along time hps grower myself before I took the plunge into led's bro, it took some getting used to but I have no regrets at all. Cal mag will depend on strain really, my 8bk needs extra calmag because its a nute pigs but the rest dont right now, just keep an eye out for early signs of rust spots and adjust if its needed:)

I was along time hps grower myself before I took the plunge into led's bro, it took some getting used to but I have no regrets at all. Cal mag will depend on strain really, my 8bk needs extra calmag because its a nute pigs but the rest dont right now, just keep an eye out for early signs of rust spots and adjust if its needed:)

I second that!!! I took a long time to be "convinced" that LED's work like they are supposed to. Took the plunge and now I am all for LED!! they work well!! and TOP LED makes a great product!

So the TOP LED flowering spectrum is exactly what??

Is it all just red/white and IR?

Or is there other colors too?

I wish there were breakdowns of what LED spectrums are used in each model.

it was the 240 x 5 w unit and I have no regrets at all its a great light:)

Hi is this just for bloom or both? I've just got my 900 and asked for same as area 51 think it's same as yours more or less bit seems a lot of white compared to normal mars I got,
Also
Needed for veg n bloom

Hi is this just for bloom or both? I've just got my 900 and asked for same as area 51 think it's same as yours more or less bit seems a lot of white compared to normal mars I got,
Also
Needed for veg n bloom
they are the exact same spectrums as my area 51 full spectrum panels, the only downfall is there are no switches to go from veg to bloom so no power savings, my area 51's have 4 switches right from seedling to veg to early flower and finally full flower, there are significant power savings to be gained if you are using these panels for veg and flower, the 600w panels only draw 300w in veg and still cover the full 4 x 4 space, im hoping TopLed will at least put 1 switch to go from veg to bloom with the 5w panels. I see no reason why you cant veg with them there will just be alot of unnesesary light that wont really be used until you flip, I wouldnt put seedlings or young clones under them unless you have a good 4 feet inbetween the plants and panel until they have a few sets of leaves, hope this makes sense im quite medicated right now:)

If one was to customize a Mars II....what available diodes and spectrum choices are there? I would really like to have a 380nm UV or even a 410nm deep purple added to a panel...does anyone know if these are available with Top LED?

Also, does anyone know what white LED color temps they have available. I know they have warm white and cool white but what color temps are available. also is there availability for 8 or 10K LEDs?

The reason I ask is that I plan on replacing my 400w CMH with 2 Mars II 80x5w, one will be the standard spectrum that I currently am using in flowering. The other which will sit between the 2x 80x5w LEDs will be the custom one.
my tents lighting will look like this....(this setup should give me a great blend of the Par lighting from the A:'s and a blend of fuller spectrum from the B Light)

A: Standard spectrum 80x5w
B: Custom Full spectrum 80x5w with UV or possibly stepping it up to the 140x5w

5'
_____A_____ B______A_______
[...../--\....../--\....../--\
7' [
[

I want to blend a more full spectrum adding: UV (380-410nm) probably 4 total chips
blue green (490-520nm) probably 2 total chips
yellow/orange (560nm-610nm) probably 4 chips
I also would like to add more white LEDs both warm white, cool white, and if they have any 8 or 10k whites.
To do this I may remove a some of the reds, and maybe 2 blues, but I think the change would be worth it for a fuller spectrum.

The reason is I would like to replicate my CMH spectrum much closer with LED, it is by far the best MH bulb I have used for flowering and is a full spectrum almost a perfect blend between CRI and PAR.

I also would like to know if reflectors can be added to the Mars II panels....

Sara? or anyone ?

Hi,

I'm totally new to all this, but am so far for my first setup i'm thinking of getting a 5 x 5 Gorilla tent and a 1200w Mars 2 LED.

Forgive me if this question has already been covered but i just wanted to clarify

My question is, would the 1200w Mars 2 LED work all the way from seed to harvest with just one light? Or do i need to get two different lights (say 2 x 700W Mars 2's) with different spectrums instead, to achieve good results? I ask because they have 3 different types of light on the website, standard, veg and flower....it's a bit confusing for a noob! Is there a simple answer to this?

Great thread by the way, really informative. Thanks in advance for any help you can give me :)

what do you mean by together? if you mean 2 400's with 2 hoods side by side your footprint will be around 2.5 x 5, hope this helps:)

G'day Jon, the question is coming from the perspective, if two 400 units hung as close as possible, blending into each other's footprint you would have say 2.75x2.5 but then they would need to be hung higher creating more like a 3.5x3 footprint? Just comparing my 2x400&700 and trying to work out the most economical setup & intensity. The led spacing on the 400 is the biggest gap between LEDs making a bigger footprint but not as intense. The spacing seem to be the same for 700 900 1200 with an extra circumference of LEDs as you go up sizes. So the 1200 extra led row travels the furthest to its footprint,then 900 & 700. But the 700 2.5x2.5 footprint should be more intense than a 400 because LEDs are closer together? So Im thinking the 700 is the most powerful light footprint. Now a 1200 does 5x5 but 3x400 only do 5x5x2.5x2.5x2.5x2.5 same amount of LEDs drawing same wattage but the 3x400 would have a 2.5x2.5 less footprint. Hope all this makes sense and somebody could explain this to me. Peace

Hey Gang,

Just finished up my first round with 1200W MARS II lights.

I had two running a a 5x5 tent and totally stoked with the results for first time with LED.

Rock hard buds and the quality was outstanding!

I do have a question for Sara in regards to power draw. Plugged in both lights to a Kill a Watt meter and here are the actual power readings for the MARS II 1200W

Light #1 - 530 watts

Light #2 - 467 watts

These lights were ordered/shipped at the same time with identical spectrums so I'm puzzled by the big difference in draw?

The heat difference is amazing between these and HPS but I believe thats because these are running close to half the power of a HPS

EIther way I'm sticking with LED after this round because it suits my style of growing and delivers for my medicinal needs

GB

Got a question for those knowledgeable in spectrums.

If you could order whatever custom light spectrums you wanted for a veg light, what would you order?

Here is what I'm thinking of getting. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

70% - Pure white - 5500-6500 K
15% - Blue 460 NM
15% - Blue 430 NM

What I'm not real sure of is the difference between the two blue colors. Should they be at the same percent level?

Anyone have any thoughts overall about this?

Thanks.

Hey output, you did ask if anybody had a view overall on this. Cough cough, here we go, I've heard that the company spec creates a tighter internodes on the plant and are good for veg. You not happy with the spectrum for veg or results your getting. My thoughts, are totally irrelevant to your question, so sorry, but a veg light is just that, nothing else. Cfls will veg a lot of the time before the led is required, unless your thinking an area of 5x5 for veg but then you would get another 1200 the same as what you have or a flower spec so the panel that's used for veg is interchangeable between your grow rooms for times of trouble. Governmentchz journal is amazing and he used the company spec for veg, check it out. Something to think about before the veg panel answers roll in. Peace man

yes, total cost for custom spectrums is a bit higher now, our factory is too busy, I have to charge a bit more to ask them to make for me. they are really too busy. our factory will have holiday from 20th,Jan ~7th,Feb, it is a really long holiday, so theya re trying their best make enough stock lights. we have a container in UK, three container in US, and half container in Australia , so we have enough product now. if you want standard light, you can order anytime you want, do not worrying about the price raise.
Wow, TOPLed site really raised the prices for the custom spectrums. Ouch.

Hey output, you did ask if anybody had a view overall on this. Cough cough, here we go, I've heard that the company spec creates a tighter internodes on the plant and are good for veg. You not happy with the spectrum for veg or results your getting. My thoughts, are totally irrelevant to your question, so sorry, but a veg light is just that, nothing else. Cfls will veg a lot of the time before the led is required, unless your thinking an area of 5x5 for veg but then you would get another 1200 the same as what you have or a flower spec so the panel that's used for veg is interchangeable between your grow rooms for times of trouble. Governmentchz journal is amazing and he used the company spec for veg, check it out. Something to think about before the veg panel answers roll in. Peace man

Hey Griz, I'm extremely happy with the results I'm getting overall. I originally got the cob light with an extra UFO blue-and-white light. But I have actually had my plants growing under one of my 1200's with Standard specs and they are doing great. Since I have nothing in flower yet, I decided to go ahead and use one of the big lights.

Was just thinking about getting something dedicated to the veg tent. I could absolutely go with another standard configuration. I'm just always trying to test what's best and go that route. There seems to be more and more information coming out these days on spectrums and figured I might as well see what the state-of-the-art might be.

Your thoughts are relevant to my question and I appreciate you responding.

I've even thought of trying the new area 51 specs for veg.

Just looking for the Best way to go.

Back
Top Bottom