Mars-Hydro LED Grow Light Discussion

Us barbarians are trusting folk (or at least, we start out that way). When you provide two sets of measurements and choose NOT to include a disclaimer such as WARNING: We just made this shit up over a long drunken lunch, well, we tend to assume that both sets are equal - and, therefore, that either set may be used. Next time, use a disclaimer (you can use mine ;) ). Or just place the words "Made in China" at the top of every page... As you alluded to in a previous message, we know what happens when we buy clothes that are made there, lol.

I remember when they tried to switch us over to that in the schools back in the 70s (disliked trying to learn it as a kid), didn't last very long before they gave up and removed all the kph signs on the freeways and went back to mph only. We still do things in gallons too, even though they keep trying to pass off liters on us all the time on foods ;)

I remember when they tried to switch us over to that in the schools back in the 70s (disliked trying to learn it as a kid), didn't last very long before they gave up and removed all the kph signs on the freeways and went back to mph only. We still do things in gallons too, even though they keep trying to pass off liters on us all the time on foods ;)

I actually have no problems with the metric system - because it makes sense - I can add 3 kilometers, 257 meters, 52 centimeters, and 18 milimeters together in about five seconds, lol, but adding 3 miles, 257 yards, 52 feet, and 18 inches would probably take me a minute... since conversions in the imperial system are a whole lot more complicated than just moving the decimal place back and forth. Even the temperature measurements are logical, with zero being the point at which water freezes and 100 the point at which it boils.

I just think that when one uses two different systems, they ought to get their math right, that's all. And report dimensions honestly/factually, of course.

BtW, I-19 in Arizona received metric signage - for distances/exits, not speed limits - along its entire 63 mile length in 1980. AfaIK, most of it is still that way.

I purchased a Mars II 700 from a retailer and to my surprise no veg flower option.

Wish they advertised that the Canadian version didn't have the switch.

At least that's what customer service told me.

Otherwise I would of bought a different light. Still disappointed but what do you do.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using 420 Magazine Mobile App

I purchased a Mars II 700 from a retailer and to my surprise no veg flower option.

Wish they advertised that the Canadian version didn't have the switch.

At least that's what customer service told me.

Otherwise I would of bought a different light. Still disappointed but what do you do.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using 420 Magazine Mobile App

I have 2 old 400s and 1 900 (built before the switches). They run great. Many people don't even use veg mode, just full power. :peace:

I actually have no problems with the metric system - because it makes sense - I can add 3 kilometers, 257 meters, 52 centimeters, and 18 milimeters together in about five seconds, lol, but adding 3 miles, 257 yards, 52 feet, and 18 inches would probably take me a minute... since conversions in the imperial system are a whole lot more complicated than just moving the decimal place back and forth. Even the temperature measurements are logical, with zero being the point at which water freezes and 100 the point at which it boils.

I just think that when one uses two different systems, they ought to get their math right, that's all. And report dimensions honestly/factually, of course.

BtW, I-19 in Arizona received metric signage - for distances/exits, not speed limits - along its entire 63 mile length in 1980. AfaIK, most of it is still that way.

Oh I agree, just easy/makes sense doesn't always mesh with the "stuck in our ways" American way at times ;). I used to be a Millwright and hated how half the bolts were Metric and half Standard, as it depended on where the parts were made (why a Crescent Wrench is like a Socket Set to a Millwright ;) and if you can't fix it get a bigger hammer lol). Oregon had the speed limit signs in both for a few years and now most have just the mph (as they have a 2nd speed limit one for Trucks on the Freeways), and far as I know they don't teach Metric system in depth for the kids in school like they tried back in the 70s (but I could be wrong).

Hey everyone,

So, we have a Mars 2 400w and Reflector 192 (5w)..

The tent is 120cm x 90cm x 180cm..

Would putting both lights in the tent be overkill? And could we daisy chain the reflector to the mars 2?

Cheers

What can cause leaves to crumble and get shorty like this? Growing in soil using Mars 2 900w at 65 - 70 cm approx 2 ft only use fertilizer in at mimum! But the buckets are standing in water so i can feed them that way!
20161015_133039.jpg

20161015_163356.jpg

:circle-of-love:May i know which height of the PAR value you want to know? We have measured the PAR value at a regular height which most customer commonly used,because the height is also various.:Namaste:

PAR at 60 cm/24 inches (not a "perfect" conversion :cheesygrinsmiley:) is a typical distance.

You've listed lumens at several distances ... PAR at 12/18/24 inches and 30/45/60cm is as much as anyone would need to know. But to be useful, it really needs to be a grid, too. That can get pretty confusing for customers ... :hmmmm: It depends on how the marketing department wants to handle it. Directly under the panel, PAR will be the highest. At the edges, it will rapidly go down.

If it were me, I'd list a PAR number for the panel, from 24 inches, directly under the panel. That would be my marketing number. :cheesygrinsmiley: Then I'd have a link to another page with the full PAR grid charts for 12/18/24/30 inches and 30/45/60/75 centimeters, for the customers who understand the charts and want the detail. It might be a good idea to put all the measurements on it, including the tents - make it the tech/data page for the geek types.

:Namaste:

To add to that, I would make sure that the PAR charts cover the entire advertised footprint for the product, plus an additional six inches (152.4 mm) all the way around, so prospective customers will know how much light will hit their walls.

To add to that, I would make sure that the PAR charts cover the entire advertised footprint for the product, plus six inches (so prospective customers will know how much light will hit their walls).

That's kind of a tricky area for marketing, isn't it? PAR only stretches so far. :laugh: You can concentrate it with reflectors and lenses, but you lose spread. It gets brighter in the middle and dimmer at the edges. So when you get to the edge, PAR drops off dramatically. :straightface: Like to 1/4 or 1/5 or worse. So if you show a 4x4 (120 x 120) chart for all your panels, the footprint is pretty clear. :laugh:

Marketing, shmarketing. I try to help increase knowledge, not ad departments. For that matter, I figure the best way to sell things is full disclosure - combined with a quality product.

Shakespeare said, "The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers," in his play Henry VI - but I'd line everyone who was in a marketing/advertising department up against the wall first... Because I have occasionally caught a lawyer telling the truth.

To add to that, I would make sure that the PAR charts cover the entire advertised footprint for the product, plus an additional six inches (152.4 mm) all the way around, so prospective customers will know how much light will hit their walls.

Sara, this and similar ideas would make Mars-Hydro relatively unique in the 'budget' LED market. Plants grow well in a pretty wide range of 'PAR' values or 'PPFD', and quite simply the more light that they get (up to a point) the better the product.

The PAR charts would help the grower arrange your lights to suit their needs. But the important part is that the PAR charts could be used as a design tool to suit the needs and the budget of the grower.

What I would like to also see are some PAR charts for the older models, because that could help determine a future purchase as somebody with an 'old' model could use that as a basis. I mean, I've got some 3x96 Reflectors that grew some good stuff. I wanted more light, so I built my own COB fixtures because I could plan, at least on paper, how much light I was going to get. The 'PAR' charts and 'PPFD' values of your lights, especially with the new configurations that are in the planning stage, could greatly aid in the tent's lighting design.

I also think that this information would get you more business than you might lose, so you might want to present that to your boss(es) if you need to.

But that's just my opinion. And you know what they say about opinions.

It gets brighter in the middle and dimmer at the edges. So when you get to the edge, PAR drops off dramatically. :straightface: Like to 1/4 or 1/5 or worse. So if you show a 4x4 (120 x 120) chart for all your panels, the footprint is pretty clear. :laugh:

You can overlap the edges and get an additive affect. It's not uniform coverage, but I haven't seen that anywhere...at least in the LED world.

Anyway, what's your soil type? Ph? Runoff ph? Neuts? What do you mean they're standing in water?

As you can see on these old pic, the big square box is filled with 5 cm of water And my "buckets" have holes in the bottom so they can suck the water that way. Dont know if that make any sense to you! And the ph is 6-6.5
But i see that my soil is fertilised with all sort of healthy things for houseplants ;) Maybe there is too much fertiliser in the soil! And iv given them 2x 2ml 10-2-11 fertiliser but maybe thats to strong..
20161003_074026.jpg

As you can see on these old pic, the big square box is filled with 5 cm of water And my "buckets" have holes in the bottom so they can suck the water that way. Dont know if that make any sense to you! And the ph is 6-6.5
But i see that my soil is fertilised with all sort of healthy things for houseplants ;) Maybe there is too much fertiliser in the soil! And iv given them 2x 2ml 10-2-11 fertiliser but maybe thats to strong..
20161003_074026.jpg
I've never seen this done before. It seems like a good way to build up salts and bacteria, but I have no experience with bottom feeding.

PAR at 60 cm/24 inches (not a "perfect" conversion :cheesygrinsmiley:) is a typical distance.

You've listed lumens at several distances ... PAR at 12/18/24 inches and 30/45/60cm is as much as anyone would need to know. But to be useful, it really needs to be a grid, too. That can get pretty confusing for customers ... :hmmmm: It depends on how the marketing department wants to handle it. Directly under the panel, PAR will be the highest. At the edges, it will rapidly go down.

If it were me, I'd list a PAR number for the panel, from 24 inches, directly under the panel. That would be my marketing number. :cheesygrinsmiley: Then I'd have a link to another page with the full PAR grid charts for 12/18/24/30 inches and 30/45/60/75 centimeters, for the customers who understand the charts and want the detail. It might be a good idea to put all the measurements on it, including the tents - make it the tech/data page for the geek types.

I agree with you on this. It would be nice to see PAR grids available at at least 3 different heights. Say 12/18 and 24 inches. Unfortunately most makers of panel style LED's probably won't do that because then the masses could actually see how exaggerated their "coverage areas" are. I have found that coverage areas are grossly exaggerated by almost every company. That's one of the biggest reasons why I build my own now.

That and that alone would give growers all of the tools they need to make the right choice for their needs.

Thank You Graytail for posting this, that is the info that I had been asking for the par values .

Thank You, Thank You :thanks:

Back
Top Bottom