MaxYields' First Grow - Warlock - Alien Dawg - Berry Garcia - CFL Closet Grow

Also meant to post a PPM chart that you can kinda go by. Ive used it in my hydro and soil grows. Once you get the hang of things you can start tweaking a little and know what the plants want and dont want.

Seedlings, Early Sprouts 0 to 150

Early Vegging 300 to 400

Full Vegetation 450 to 700

Early Blooming 750 to 950

Full Mature Blooms 1000 to 1600

A ppm meter is great because you can measure how much nutes you have in your water before you feed. If you stick pretty closely to this chart you should always be good. Just watch adding a lot of different things as this will really raise the PPM. Most nute lines have Advanced charts for all their lineup and will tell you how and what to mix even on the bud enhancers. Also every strain and plant is different so these are just guide lines of course. You can slowly raise PPM each feeding until you find a happy spot.

Remember less is more when it comes to nutes!

Hey everybody!

So I have decided to take Hunter's advice and invest in a PPM meter sometime soon, I have recently determined some issues in my grow due to nutrient issues so it seems like a good idea. Live and learn right? Probably going to invest in a PH meter just for the hell of it and I assume I will need it one day.

Anyways, here is a --QUICK UPDATE--

Berry Garcia

Why not start with the healthiest of the group! This lady is becoming a monster.... she is growing so perfectly, it is so fun knowing that I can manipulate her growth by doing different things to her. Most recently I topped her growth closest to the the net, and her top closest to the ground shot up towards the light like a rocket ship! So much new thick growth... this lady grows with some vigor, definitely going to take some clones of her when the chance arises.

Her leaves are getting very large and are staying a beautiful dark rich green all through out the plant, her tallest top has made it through a hole in the ScrOG Net so I will start tucking her new growth soon! going to let her stretch a little more before I make the initial tuck. I gave her a feeding yesterday, first time she hasn't let ANY water escape through the bottom, so that makes me happy!!!

Yesterday (December 14, 2014) she was fed 15ml FF Big Bloom, 15ml FF Grow Big, 10ml FF Tiger Bloom, 10ml PBP Grow and 3ml PBP Cal-Mag in a gallon of water.

Warlock

This little lady is the second largest plant, just an inch or less shorter than the Berry Garcia, and just as beautiful. I really like the leaf formation on this plant, serrated beautifully and very rich green... I could stare at her all day! Not much new here, she received another topping (only topped the one that didn't get topped last time around) this past Thursday and it has recovered and started to grow. I really love the branching and bushiness of this plant, it has about 6-9 very prominent tops and I cant wait to start Scrogging her.

Gave her a feeding yesterday, also the first time she didn't let any water escape through the bottom (she got the exact same feeding as the Berry Garcia). Also did a bit of Super-Cropping with her, and I love the way she has responded. I am gonna give her another round of it this Wednesday before I leave the state for a little Christmas vacation.

Alien Dawg

So, I believe I figured out what was stunting this little ladies performance and growth, I couldn't figure out why the growth was so green and healthy looking but why it was growing so slowly... but after some research I believe it is an early stage of a Nitrogen Abundance. Now I forget if I said in my journal that I added Dolomite Lime to her soil mix, but now that I think about it I am pretty sure I forgot too. Out of curiosity, would Dolomite Lime help keep the Nitrogen levels in the soil down? Because the other two pots both got some and they haven't experienced any problems so far.

Anyways, after some research, the best course of action seemed to be this;
  1. Leave the plant and soil alone until Sunday (Feeding Day).
  2. On feeding day, topdress with Dolomite lime.
  3. Give a Nitrogen lacking feeding.

So she received her topdressing and feeding yesterday, we will see how she responds within the coming days. She let water get through the bottom of her pot, however it seemed to be less than in previous waterings. I gave her regular strength FF Big Bloom, Tiger Bloom (P and K heavy) and NO FF Grow Big (N heavy)... Instead she got 1/4 strength PBP Grow (N heavy) plus the regular strength Cal-Mag.

Yesterday (December 14, 2014) she was fed 15ml FF Big Bloom, 10ml FF Tiger Bloom, 5ml PBP Grow and 4ml PBP Cal-Mag.

That's it for now, I will be posting some pictures later this week before I leave for my trip.

Just give you some tips on the drying and curing. You should dry for 3-5 days with a RH of 60% and temp around 70 degrees F. After that you can put the straight into jars and start the curing and burping jars daily. If you brown bag them after there hang drying i feel that would dry the buds out to much for a good cure.

Personally i would recommend a 400-600 watt HPS cooltube for your grow. You can get the complete 400 watt kit for $122 free shipping and you will see 3 times the yield and growth than that LED... My temps for my 600 watt HPS is only a 5-6 degree rise from room temps... Thats is if you wanna step up to the big boy toys =). I hesitated and went back and forth and almost ordered a LED.... I have made the switch to HPS and will never look back until new technology comes out that shows me different results.

what he said hahaha

So you agree with HunterNitro on the HPS/LED debate? Do you guys believe that the HPS system is the better option only because of the specific LED I am considering?

Thanks in advance for the feedback!

I Think they both are valuable in their own way - you cant beat trich production under LED but you cant beat HPS yield for the money - I am in the middle of the road kinda guy - I think and HPS and LED combo is the best - If i had to go one or the other due to funds i would go HPS only due to yield - It would cost sooooo much in LED panels to equate to HPS yield that it becomes not worth the panel price...... If they would drop LED panels by at least half then maybe there would be a closer battle in my eyes - I run HPS and LED - But i would not run LED alone without a large amount of wattage draw.........

Even if i had funds to buy all the panels i wanted i would still use 600w or 1000w HPS and use an LED panel as supplemental lighting - this is the best set up in my eyes :)

ps hunter and a few others talked me into the HPS switch as i WAS LED only from the start - best decision i ever made - Still thanking hunter for this!!

I Think they both are valuable in their own way - you cant beat trich production under LED but you cant beat HPS yield for the money - I am in the middle of the road kinda guy - I think and HPS and LED combo is the best - If i had to go one or the other due to funds i would go HPS only due to yield - It would cost sooooo much in LED panels to equate to HPS yield that it becomes not worth the panel price...... If they would drop LED panels by at least half then maybe there would be a closer battle in my eyes - I run HPS and LED - But i would not run LED alone without a large amount of wattage draw.........

Even if i had funds to buy all the panels i wanted i would still use 600w or 1000w HPS and use an LED panel as supplemental lighting - this is the best set up in my eyes :)

ps hunter and a few others talked me into the HPS switch as i WAS LED only from the start - best decision i ever made - Still thanking hunter for this!!

Hmmmmm, a lot to think about, but I actually kind of see what you mean. I have been judging LED set ups based on people like DocBud and other god-like growers... and it would make sense that they have the capitol to get the most out of their LED set ups... but I definitely don't have the amount of money it would take to get a couple nice panels, and most likely wont for a little while... DAMN YOU COLLEGE!

Haha but anyways, I guess I am leaning more towards an HPS system then. Unfortunately I will end up spending as much on the HPS as I do on the LED because I will have to figure out how to vent my dumb closet better haha..... Architecture school drains me of my money but definitely gives me the knowledge to design & build wonderful grow spaces!

I guess I will start looking for a replacement door that I can saw vent holes in haha, if anyone has recommendations for good quality but semi-inexpensive HPS Systems (Ill need hood, ballast... everything haha) by all means leave them as a reply! I have only really done good research on LEDs.

Thanks a lot mrrobert, your help means alot!

The Dolomite Lime does not keep nitrogen levels down. It doesnt work that way. Its a pH neutralizer that keeps the pH stable in soil while providing Cal/Mag also. To my knowledge it has no nitrogen in it.

How are you feeding? Are you giving nutes with every watering? Most people feed with nutes, then water with plain pH water, then feed with nutes and so on. Currently im watering with 1300 ppm, then around 500 ppm, then 1300 and so on. I personally go by PPM and my own mixes as i know what my plants want and need. You will get the hang of that also once you get a PPM meter! They are also only around $8 online from the bay. I have found through my transition with flowering it is better for me to feed the scheduled im on so i see no deficiencies during flower. If unsure and until you get the hang of it always feed 50-75% of recommended doses until the plants show signs of needing it. Work your way up slow.

I have read a topic that when feeding your plants you give plain water first and then water with your nutrient solution you will never have nutrient burn. I have been using this method and really like the way its working so far. Yesterday for example i watered with 2 gallons of regular water, then watered with 2 gallons of my 1300 ppm nutrient solution.

Also, make sure you are getting some run off when you are watering as this acts kinda like a small flush and i have had better results when i at least get 1 gallon of runoff per 5 gallon smart pots. You will learn what works best for you! Good luck!

P.S. im also private messaging you right now with the links to 400 watt cool tube and 600 watt cool tube packages that include everything.

:goodluck:

Hunter is probly sending you same links i would :)

yea hunters links are cheaper by about 10-20 bucks - my link just has a better return policy :)

Depends how important that is to you :) - I like the fact they pick shit up right off my porch for free lol when i return items :)

The Dolomite Lime does not keep nitrogen levels down. It doesnt work that way. Its a pH neutralizer that keeps the pH stable in soil while providing Cal/Mag also. To my knowledge it has no nitrogen in it.

How are you feeding? Are you giving nutes with every watering? Most people feed with nutes, then water with plain pH water, then feed with nutes and so on. Currently im watering with 1300 ppm, then around 500 ppm, then 1300 and so on. I personally go by PPM and my own mixes as i know what my plants want and need. You will get the hang of that also once you get a PPM meter! They are also only around $8 online from the bay. I have found through my transition with flowering it is better for me to feed the scheduled im on so i see no deficiencies during flower. If unsure and until you get the hang of it always feed 50-75% of recommended doses until the plants show signs of needing it. Work your way up slow.

I have read a topic that when feeding your plants you give plain water first and then water with your nutrient solution you will never have nutrient burn. I have been using this method and really like the way its working so far. Yesterday for example i watered with 2 gallons of regular water, then watered with 2 gallons of my 1300 ppm nutrient solution.

Also, make sure you are getting some run off when you are watering as this acts kinda like a small flush and i have had better results when i at least get 1 gallon of runoff per 5 gallon smart pots. You will learn what works best for you! Good luck!

P.S. im also private messaging you right now with the links to 400 watt cool tube and 600 watt cool tube packages that include everything.

:goodluck:

Hunter is probly sending you same links i would :)

yea hunters links are cheaper by about 10-20 bucks - my link just has a better return policy :)

Depends how important that is to you :) - I like the fact they pick shit up right off my porch for free lol when i return items :)

Thanks you guys! Yeah you both sent me links to the same products, and I must admit it looks nice. The dimmable ballast is a huge plus for me as well as I was really looking for that. This is most likely what I will end up buying, I was wondering what you guys thought about the glass tube that's on it? Do you leave it on or take it off?

Thanks for helping me out so much! I really appreciate it, cant wait to get these lights installed and get my Flowering/Perpetual grows started!

Thanks you guys! Yeah you both sent me links to the same products, and I must admit it looks nice. The dimmable ballast is a huge plus for me as well as I was really looking for that. This is most likely what I will end up buying, I was wondering what you guys thought about the glass tube that's on it? Do you leave it on or take it off?

Thanks for helping me out so much! I really appreciate it, cant wait to get these lights installed and get my Flowering/Perpetual grows started!

I got the cool tubes with the wing reflectors for my closet because they are so small and i cant fit a full hood in there - In my 10x10 i have the air cooled hoods and i really like them - keeps all the light out of your face and focus's the light on the ground more - If you can fit the air cooled hoods i like them - If not go cooltubes with the reflectors :) again only my .02 :)

If you remove the glass you get 20-25% more lumens but then your not air cooled

i tried no glass for 2 days but i kept hitting 80 plus in the tent - glass back in max out at 72 :)

If you remove the glass you get 20-25% more lumens but then your not air cooled

i tried no glass for 2 days but i kept hitting 80 plus in the tent - glass back in max out at 72 :)

Definitely, that makes sense.... I will probably have to keep the glass tube on my set up as that closet gets hot as shit very.

I was wondering if I might be able to vent my grow room through my light though? Say I was to take the glass off and instead of only drawing cool air from outside through my lamp and then out, I got a 400-600 cfm vent fan to suck air out of the grow room as well... would that work based on my bad description? haha I know I am asking A LOT of hard to answer questions, I appreciate whatever answers are given.

First of all HunterNitro, seriously thank you SO MUCH for all of the help and input you have given me. You alone have been my mentor for this grow and you have no idea how much I appreciate it!!

Thank you for clarifying the different stages of ScroGing for me, based on your journal I had planned on tucking for two weeks of stretch... Just makes me feel much better getting clarification from someone with experience. This also makes it much easier for me to make the decision to flip to 12/12.

And unless I see a problem, I will probably follow your advice, avoid the flush and water with week one of Flower nutes (most likely 75% FoxFarm Trio Dosage, 25% Botanicare Pure Blend Trio, and 75% FoxFarm Water-Soluble Trio... but obviously that could all change haha). Also I will let the ladies get 16 of the usual 18 hours of light on the last Veg day, then switch to 12/12 at 9pm that night to start flower.

I am also pretty set on buying the FoxFarm Water-Soluble Nutrient Trio... I kind of made the decision to get it before I asked you all haha just figured unless someone gave me a really good reason not to use this trio, I would. I LOVE FoxFarm so far, I had read a lot about how FoxFarm soils can be too hot for plants or how full strength nutes can cause mad nutrient burns... but so far I have had 0 problems. I actually added more nutrients to the full strength dosage!

Also, just for everyone's information.

I am still debating whether to get a Mars Hydro 98x3W Reflector Series LED or a 600W HPS system..... Hunter has made some good points towards the HPS system, and up until his recommendations I had been leaning towards that LED... I have seen the outcomes of both systems, and honestly at this point in my growing career.... I'm not really convinced that one will perform better than the other.

My set up at this point is very small (will grow, already have plans), and on top if its size it is in a closet with NO ventilation and I can NOT install ventilation in there.. This is because the Grow Room is at my old house, which I was renting (roommates still live there, which is why the plants can still be there), therefore I cant fuck up the door or closet walls by sawing holes for vents. At this point if the door is fully closed, the optimal conditions rise to 90+ degree temps and 85% Humidity... Which is why the door has a constant 1 inch crack which seems to keep things perfect.

I was debating removing the door and purchasing a cheap replacement door that I would be able to saw holes in, but I haven't made much progress in that regard. So at this point, that LED is looking like the better option because I have no way to vent a big HPS bulb like that

ALL input on this situation is welcome, I wont be purchasing whatever it is I decide to purchase until after Christmas so I have some time.

Thanks in advance for all of the input everyone!

Well, no ventilation is a problem regardless of what light you are using. For the space you have, I would recommend a p300 from PlatinumLED. They run really cool, you might be able to continue without adding ventilation. HPS will require it no matter what.

HPS will need: ballast, bulb, hood, fan, ducting.

LED will need: LED

P300 is $369 before 420mag discount.

And you will continue to save money on electricity with the p300 over a 600w hps.

Definitely, that makes sense.... I will probably have to keep the glass tube on my set up as that closet gets hot as shit very.

I was wondering if I might be able to vent my grow room through my light though? Say I was to take the glass off and instead of only drawing cool air from outside through my lamp and then out, I got a 400-600 cfm vent fan to suck air out of the grow room as well... would that work based on my bad description? haha I know I am asking A LOT of hard to answer questions, I appreciate whatever answers are given.

You can pull the grow room air through the reflector to cool both the room and the light.

But unless you get a new door and vent that space, it will be much to hot with HPS.

The most important thing in a successful grow is the environment. Nothing will make a bigger difference.

There would be no filter and you would pull some smell unless you kept the glass in and put a carbon filter before light - like this---------------carbon filter - light - ducting - pulling fan -

its not the most efficient but its doable.....

I usually recommend separating the light and room ventilation but hey sometimes i dont even heed my advise lol haha

I
There would be no filter and you would pull some smell unless you kept the glass in and put a carbon filter before light - like this---------------carbon filter - light - ducting - pulling fan -

its not the most efficient but its doable.....

I usually recommend separating the light and room ventilation but hey sometimes i dont even heed my advise lol haha

For sure, well smell isn't really a problem because it's legal here and I don't think anyone who still lives in the house would care. But I might have to end up investing in a tent and some other supplies.... I guess I'll just have to experiment and see what works and what doesn't, nothin better than some trial and error right!?!

Thanks again for the help, I will be posting updates as I make decisions and such!

hey Max I saw you in one of Doc's journal.

I read a zillion journals and didn't have time to read all of yours, but I did some picture browsing.

are the lights that far from the plants just for picture taking, or do you always keep them that far away?

If so, you need to get them with 2-6" max or you might get thin lanky plants.

You can pull the grow room air through the reflector to cool both the room and the light.

But unless you get a new door and vent that space, it will be much to hot with HPS.

The most important thing in a successful grow is the environment. Nothing will make a bigger difference.

Hey tavosvo, thanks for stopping by and providing your input on my lighting/heat issue! It really helps a lot!

I will most definitely have to get a new door or a grow tent... trying to decide what would be most economical, and honestly moving to a tent might be better in the longterm. Regardless I am happy to know that if I do remain in a tight spot I can vent my grow room through my cool tube reflector.

I absolutely understand why you and so many other great growers say that now, achieving and maintaining a perfect environment can be quite the challenge when starting out and it does definitely make a difference... However I am definitely excited to learn a lot from this grow.

hey Max I saw you in one of Doc's journal.

I read a zillion journals and didn't have time to read all of yours, but I did some picture browsing.

are the lights that far from the plants just for picture taking, or do you always keep them that far away?

If so, you need to get them with 2-6" max or you might get thin lanky plants.

Hey Hash Hound! Thanks for stopping by I really appreciate it!

I actually did only have the lights that far up for picture purposes. Most of the pictures (mainly the ones that are of the plants from above) were taken while they were outside of the closet getting a watering. I definitely check the lights daily to make sure they aren't too far above the ladies. So far I think I have done a good job, they seem pretty bushy to me.

I will get some more profile shots on my next photo update. But like I said, thank you very much for stopping by, it is very encouraging! I am always grateful for advice :Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom