MJ Crescendos 'Operation Snowflake' Journal

You're going to have a very full tent ;).

Plants are looking great!

I prefer LST to topping. Topping shocks and stresses the plants, and you lose time while they recover. When you LST, they just start branching out the same day. Both techniques work very well, but one is more efficient, IMO.

Besides, every plant I've topped has needed LST anyway down the line, so topping doesn't work well for me.

You can top, but the plant's still in control, unless you want to keep snipping away, but I don't play that game.

When you LST, *you're* in control.

Wise words. Forget the topping, it's all about the LST :blunt:

Day 1 Flower

After 30 days of vegetative growth on a 20/4 schedule, I finally decided to flip the switch over to 12/12 lighting. They got to sleep an extra 8 hours last night and I think they can already feel the lighting change as the tops have become light green on all the girls.

They got fed 1/2 strength grow big for the last 2 weeks. The dark green in all the fan leaves tells me that they are in good condition. I'm surprised I never had to up the dose of grow big, but next watering will be plain water then I will begin my tiger bloom phase of nute feeding.

IMAG00501.jpg

IMAG00513.jpg

IMAG00524.jpg

IMAG00562.jpg

Fem HMW
IMAG00531.jpg

SW Group shot
IMAG00541.jpg

The HMW and SW#1 have side branching all over the place and should start to show bud sites in many places :yummy: I've been tucking some fan leaves to let the branching reach to the top canopy. The penetration looks great thus far from this light and these are some really dense girls. They certainly are not the biggest, but I truly believe this is a by product of the led light. Hopefully yields will still be great and all these branches will put on a good bit of weight. The LST did a wonderful job of maximizing bud sites (4-8 per LST plant) I'm really interested to see how they will stretch out over the next 2 weeks. They are all 8''-10'' tall and hopefully will be 20''-24'' once full flowering begins.

Exciting times ahead :Rasta:

The girls are looking great and today they were foilar sprayed. Hoping that I did not flip the switch too soon. They were vegged for 30 days which seems to be about average for most grows. The goal is to see a variety of yields from the different plants according to their pot size. They are all unique and I can visibly notice the smaller air pots are producing smaller plants (no surprise there)

They are about 11'' tall thus far and I am hoping to yield 1g/watt so something in the 180g dry. I am thinking that flowering them at this size will better allow the LED to fully cover the area. The maui waui is turning into a bush and sw#1 is not far behind (both in 3 gal air pots) The 2 gallon air pots do not seem as bushy, but still very happy plants. The ice has fat indica leaves and a stout height, but still a lot of bud sites. Really hoping that the ice pulls through as a female. Will be checking every day for female traits, but prob won't see any for another few days.

They were all watered 2 days ago and the soil seems dry after 3 days. The ocean forest retains water pretty well and gives me a break from watering all the time. Next watering will have 1/4 strength tiger bloom. I have been reading about fox farm chemical nutrients and because they are chemically based, I have to feed them everything. What I am getting at is that there are no microbial life to support them. This makes me think that they may need more consistent feeding, but at lower doses (1/4 to 1/2 strength). I will still do plain waterings, but probably less often so I can keep the girls fed. Going to keep the nitrogen up for the stretching phase of flowering, then drop it out of the feeding. Luckily these fox farm nutes have all the macro and micro nutes they need. They don't seem to be too picky about it thus far.

Smell was a slight problem until I turned down the vortex fan. I believe having it at a higher speed was not properly allowing the carbon to filter out smell. Slowing it down gives the filter more time to do its job and I can tell the difference. So glad that the led does not put out that much heat because they would be baking with this lower air exchange. Ambient air temps have been around 87 degrees during the day and 77 degrees at night. This seems high, but with the led's different type of heat, I do not think the plants are heat stressed at all.

Anybody want to chime in and give some input on me putting them into flower? I really hope I wasn't being inpatient and flipped too soon. It is only 2 days of 12/12 and they seem to like the new schedule. Hope these led pictures are good enough. :Rasta:

IMAG00571.jpg

Looking good!

No way did you flip them too early.

Your tent is going to be packed full, especially horizontally.

When it gets thick in there, which won't be long, it would be a good idea to set up one or two small ventilation fans blowing straight up through the plants from below to prevent mold and encourage growth. I keep the fan speed on low, just enough to move the leaves a little.

Looking good!

No way did you flip them too early.

Your tent is going to be packed full, especially horizontally.

When it gets thick in there, which won't be long, it would be a good idea to set up one or two small ventilation fans blowing straight up through the plants from below to prevent mold and encourage growth. I keep the fan speed on low, just enough to move the leaves a little.

I've been looking through your journals and there is some great stuff in there. I even saw the picture with the small fan blowing up. That is such a great tip and I will make sure to use it. I have a small battery operated fan that can do that for now. I'm glad that I flowered at a good time. It's going to be really fun to watch from here on out. There are tons of bud sites from the LST :smokin: aka horizontal growth. Thanks for tagging along in the journal SS.

~Peace~

Day 9 Flower

They are drying out their pots every 2 days now. Must be thirsty from all the new growth. They all received 5mL tiger bloom and 5mL cal/mag supplement on the last watering. Everything looks really good and stretching is going smoothly. The HMW is finally showing its sativa side and outgrowing the rest, but SW#1 is keeping up nicely. The ice is showing light green top nodes which may be female traits. The fem snow whites all began their first pistils about a day ago. No flowering has really shown yet, but a lot of stretching accommodating the switch. I believe I am right on schedule. This tent is filling up quick!

IMAG00592.jpg

IMAG00622.jpg

IMAG00611.jpg

IMAG00602.jpg

~Peace~

Day 11 Flower

I found some pistils around the bud sites on the ice. The ice is not flowering vigourous as the others, but I am pretty sure it is a female. I was really excited about that because I have heard such good things about the strains smoke :blunt:

The HMW is stretching, but LST has kept it all under control. The SW#1 is coming along perfectly.

SW#1
SW_1.jpg

HMW
HMW.jpg

Group shots
IMAG00643.jpg

IMAG00654.jpg

The solo cup SW has been looking droopy today. The medium is still moist and it was plain 6.5pH water last time. Maybe she is mad about her final grow container (solo cup). Mostly everything looks healthy and happy and bud sites are just starting to show up everywhere. Flowering has finally begun :popcorn:

I added another half solo cup of soil under the solo cup snow white. Did not look like too much transplant stress, except she is light green. All leaves have perked up in the happy way. Ice is flowering slowly, hoping that it is just the genetics and her bloom will still go well. Tents getting full :)

IMAG00686.jpg

SW#1 Top
IMAG00695.jpg

HMW Top
IMAG00704.jpg

Group shot. Notice the color difference on solo snow white.
IMAG00715.jpg

So far the 3 gallon air pots are my favorite plants that took to LST great. I think four 3gallon air pots under this 180w w/ LST would be the perfect way to go in a DR80. If you can find some square trays for underneath it'd line up nicely.

By the way I am using one of the Organic Air carbon filters and even though it fits really well in the tent, it does not filter out the smelly air well at all. Definitely going to upgrade to a Phresh carbon filter in the next round.

18 Days Flower

Ice has finally begun to flower. The rest of the girls are on a much more vigorous pace. I cut out the bottom of the solo cup and placed it in another solo cup of soil, then duct taped it all together so that she would not have to be root bound for now. HMW is competing for all the space, sativas.. All of the snow white girls look very happy and have been stress free.

IMAG00762.jpg

IMAG00773.jpg

IMAG00753.jpg

IMAG00785.jpg

Temps have been steady 82 degrees and humidity has been 45-50%. Runoff pH was 6.6 on the 3 gallon air pots. Everything going in is pH'd to 6.4 or 6.7 depending on it's nutrient composition. They have been eating mostly tiger bloom and bud candy lately. Hoping that these soil girls yield some very tasty product.

~MJ~

Day 22 Flower

Been feeding half strength tiger bloom once a week and alternating to advanced nutes bud candy for the other weekly watering. The bud sites seem to like it and no noticeable deficiency's in the fan leaves. The ice is slightly lighter green than the rest, probably due to me only giving her tiger bloom. I believe the addition of more bloom nutes to the ice is why she finally switched into flower (must be picky). The other are looking great and the solo cup snow white is perky, but also light green fan leaves. With the cooler weather approaching the tent has been at a steady 80 degrees. Hoping that the 50% humidity levels will not be a problem later in flowering.

All the pot sizes have led to variable heights in the girls. The tops of sw#1 and HMW are only 6'' from the light. The rest of the girls are 8''-14'' away from the light. Hoping that the tops closest to the light don't experience any problems. They seem to enjoy it so far, but 6'' may be too close. The smaller plants that are farther away seem to still be getting enough light intensity at 8''+. This is 3 weeks into flowering and they have residually gotten closer to the light, which I believe attributes to why they can handle the higher intensities so well.

IMAG00822.jpg

IMAG00834.jpg

SW#2 top cola. She has the most frost on the fan leaves and has been pushed to her limits with nutes (see the slight burning on the tips) but she is in great health
IMAG00844.jpg

IMAG00854.jpg

Things are growing fast and looking healthy. This light is performing to my expectations and it looks like I will have a bud filled winter :yummy:

~Peace~

Looking really good MJ!

A bud-filled winter sounds good to me!

I did a couple of grows with different sized containers, and it was too much hassle keeping up with the different watering schedules and plant heights.

I decided after that to use the same containers for each grow, and that has been a lot less work and vigilance.

Unless I'm experimenting with different container sizes and/or media, I just use the same size.

very nice grow, bro!

looks super i was reading something you posted on another journal about no filter on your intake GET ONE spider mites will come in thru there better to be prepared then craped on wondering how they got in !!!!

My DR80 is in a clean indoor room. It's about 10 feet away from a screened in window that I occasionally open to allow fresh air into the room. Have never seen any pest at the window and have kept my place practically bug free. I still may add the 'organic air' carbon filter to the intake, but mites should not be a problem. I also keep a can of raid and fox farms 'don't bug me' around for the first sign of pest. Thank you for your concern and I will have a sharp eye on pest and I'll take a good look at my passive intake.

looks like the leds are workin out great for you. they are nice. plants look nice and healthy. good job mate

Thanks man. This is my first LED grow and I have really enjoyed it thus far. I try to keep everything simple and the plants have remained very lush green. I guess they like me :smokin: The tent is packed full and I am hoping that this light really creates some potent, dense meds

I did a couple of grows with different sized containers, and it was too much hassle keeping up with the different watering schedules and plant heights.

I decided after that to use the same containers for each grow, and that has been a lot less work and vigilance.

Unless I'm experimenting with different container sizes and/or media, I just use the same size.

very nice grow, bro!

Always offering the best advice SS! I began this grow with the materials at hand and have now come to the conclusion that different size containers are too much work. I must say that the air pots have grown great looking plants. I feel that air pruning works really well and they won't be getting root bound in them either. I have just read so many grows in different containers and I wanted to see the difference with my eyes. It will be very interesting to have final dry weigh in's for each plant as they are either LST'd, not LST'd, large air pot, small air pot, regular pot, and solo cup. Once I see the data I'll make the final decision on the next round of pots. I'm rootin for LST in 3gallon air pots. The 2gallon air pots w/o LST may be a close contender. That fat single cola looks great to me :slide:

It will probably come down to:
A) Four 3gallon air pots with LST (vertical growth sog style)
B) Six 2gallon air pots w/o LST (6 large colas)

Only time will tell..

-MJ

It will probably come down to:
A) Four 3gallon air pots with LST (vertical growth sog style)
B) Six 2gallon air pots w/o LST (6 large colas)

Only time will tell..

-MJ

That's pretty much exactly what I've evolved into doing, except with regular pots.

There's also the option of doing something like a 12/12 grow with maybe around twenty 5" square pots or one-gallon grow bags. One and two-gallon grow bags are great. They're tallish, which MJ plants love, and very space efficient.

Another option would be growing one or two larger plants by giving them more veg time and maybe using 5-gallon containers and lots of LST.

I love growing, it's so much fun ;).

Growing is so much fun! After taking the girls out to water them today, I can really spot the uniquenesses of every plant.

3gal SW#1 - Bud sites everywhere, but younger looking bud sites
2gal SW#2 - Super frosty everywhere and orange pistils beginning
2gal SW#3 - No LST and putting all the power into one cola
16oz SW#4 - Tall as the rest, but petite all around, a lot of filling out to do
3gal HMW - Bud sites everywhere and filling in nicely. Love me these old skool sativa genetics
2 liter Ice - About 15 days behind the rest (unknown why she wouldn't flower) sort of the runt of the group, but budding none the less

Back of the tent (smaller girls)
IMAG00866.jpg

3gal SW#1 (my fav and model for future grows)
IMAG00883.jpg

IMAG00914.jpg

IMAG00906.jpg

3gal HMW (beautiful sativa)
IMAG00876.jpg

SW#1 - HMW
IMAG00895.jpg

Flowering is starting to smell and I can't believe how happy they are at 4 weeks flowering. Been picking off a few dead leaves at the bottom of the plant, but everything else is green. Trying to figure out why SW#2 is flowering so much faster than the rest (genetics?) she is so frosty and should be some prize bud :Rasta: SW#1 and HMW will be my high yielders that for sure. Really curious to see the final weights on SW#3 and it's single cola. I'm estimating another 5 weeks on the SW's. Another 7 weeks on HMW and hopefully ice will finish up with HMW since it's 2 weeks behind. I guess we'll see what the girls tell me in a few weeks. They've been fed tigerbloom & ca/mg in one watering. Bud candy in the next watering, then plain pH'd water on the third. This schedule seems to be working.
:peacetwo:

-MJ

Day 37 Flower

Hey all, I feel like I haven't dropped an update in a while, so today I had some free time. Having some issues with the plants and taking every step I can to correct it, but maybe you guys can help too.

SW #3 w/ no lst - her upper leaves showing brown markings? She is still fattening up at a good rate and trichomes look great. I don't know what deficiency or problem this is, but it seems to be on the upper leaves. She has been receiving 1/2 a gallon of plain 6.5 pH water the last two waterings.
IMAG00994.jpg

This is the pain in the ass solo cup SW. She is budding nicely as well, but seems to be very finicky. Showing similar symptoms and light green, but she has been that color the entire grow.
IMAG00982.jpg

SW#2 w/ lst - in great health w/ dark green fan leaves and hairs changing colors as well, these cell phone pix do no justice to how many trichs she has.
IMAG00954.jpg

IMAG00942.jpg

SW#1 - great health and filling in quickly. looks like she's gonna be a good yielder :slide:
IMAG00972.jpg

IMAG00964.jpg

rH has been high w/ all the damp weather. Been running ventilation a little higher and have kept the rH in the 50-55% zone. Temps have been a steady 83 during the lights on time. This looks to be the fattening up stage and there is a ways to go. I feel like this is the beginning of the 3rd trimester of flowering and this stage is when most weight gains are made. Today they were all watered w/ 6.6 pH water w/ 5mL of unsulphered molasses. Looking forward to see'n how they respond to it. I think I have at least another month to go in flowering. The tent smells lovely :Rasta:

Anyone know why SW#3 is having issues? I have kept a close eye on her the past week and she seems to be stabilizing, but fan leaves still look the same. Hoping that it doesn't affect yield, maybe going to give her a 5mL/gal h2o2 solution next watering and try to clean out the root system. Been watering all the plants every 3 days which is usually when they begin to slightly wilt. I read that wilt stress can be beneficial at this time in flowering. I believe stressing the girls helps them produce better and more bud. My main stressors have been water stress, air pruning roots, lst, and competition for space. As far as I know, stress for these ladies is a good thing as long as it's in moderation and all other environmental factors are in check. Hopefully I will reap the benefits via yield/quality :blunt:

So my spectra 180 is actually a 240w of led light. This would mean that it's similar to 250w hid grows. I have been researching 250w grows and the average grow yields .5 g/w so about 125 grams. I have also been looking at other cannasumer reports w/ led's and I believe that this light has capabilities to produce 1 g/w. If this is true and my grow tent is at max capacity then I should be able to achieve 200+ grams. Maybe just hope, but a man can dream right haha The SW's are really dense thus far so it's possible. Only time will tell :popcorn:

-MJ

So I did a little calculation for my grow tent. It's a DR80 which, I read, has a 31.5''x31.5'' square base. This equivalates to 6.9 square feet. The spectra 180 is technically a 240w light. This would mean that the girls are getting approximately 35w per square foot.

I read that for an HID grow that 50w sq ft is the 'sweet spot.' Since I have a lot more horizontal growth and the light is 8'' from the top of the canopy's, I think I am really close to the 'sweet spot' for my setup. I have even removed the glass on the panel, which should maximize intensity. I was worrying the other day that the buds may not fatten up to full potential because of this watt to sq ft dilemma, but now that I have done the math, I feel much better about the intensity of light in my tent.

Of course, two spectra 180's or one 300 would be preferred. The spectra 300 actually is around 52w sq ft which is 'bout perfect (SS is rockin it) Since I am an amateur grower I really hope that I can have a reputable yield on this grow and prove that the spectra is perfect for a small medicinal garden. :yummy:

Just ordered four 'new' 3 gallon (12.5 liter) air pots (larger diameter holes on the sides for increased air pruning) to have my setup as: four 3gallon air pots under a spectra180 in a DR80. The strain in the next grow will be Reserva Privada OG #18 fem. This grow has at least another 4 weeks, but still excited just thinking about the next one. Should hopefully get the next grow started in January '11. :rocker:

If anyone is looking to purchase these: Superoots Air-Pots information and United States retail sales

Enjoying this grow :welldone:

Looking to get DR60 + Spectra 180 with some SLH for my first grow... so you're educating me!

Keep it up MJ! Wishing you awesome yield...1+g/w :yummy: :goodluck:

Back
Top Bottom