Mono's 12/12 From Seed - Test Grow

I wouldn't let it get to that if growing in a grow bag Like the polypropylene I am using the roots grow easily through the sides and then are air pruned however if medium is put there the root's will grow into it so then your able to add as much extra medium as you like around the grow bag so as not to even disturb the root's at all.

You can split the larger container in half and then reattach around the growbag.

For instance I have a round 1.2 metre across circular plastic dish that is about 6 inches high containing 50/50perlite and soil at the base of my 110litre polypropylene grow bag which contains 80/20 perlite to soil.

This is working our great for me as she now has an extra resevoir aswell, any ways just ever since that time i did the side by side with the 50 and 75 litre pots and the larger pot did so much better, ever since them I'm crazy for root's hahaha crazy for root's yeah

Hmm, transplanting half way through flowering might be a thought in that instance then?

Dunno if it's worth the risk bud. After stretch I've observed much less root growth than before stretch so I guess the safest bet is to get transplanting shock out of the way and then flower in a pot that's plenty big enough.

Wish I had the option of transplanting in NFT.....the pump was trimming the roots on my auto purple amnesia for the last few weeks :biglaugh:

I wouldn't let it get to that if growing in a grow bag Like the polypropylene I am using the roots grow easily through the sides and then are air pruned however if medium is put there the root's will grow into it so then your able to add as much extra medium as you like around the grow bag so as not to even disturb the root's at all.

You can split the larger container in half and then reattach around the growbag.

For instance I have a round 1.2 metre across circular plastic dish that is about 6 inches high containing 50/50perlite and soil at the base of my 110litre polypropylene grow bag which contains 80/20 perlite to soil.

This is working our great for me as she now has an extra resevoir aswell, any ways just ever since that time i did the side by side with the 50 and 75 litre pots and the larger pot did so much better, ever since them I'm crazy for root's hahaha crazy for root's yeah

That makes sense, and I understand where you are coming from... However ;)

I notice you said with your side by side grow you transplanted a week before flowering. The extra yield might not have been due to root growth throughout the flowering period but due to the increased space available for root formation during the final week of vegetative growth and first couple of weeks of flowering (stretch).

I remember Thecapn on here stating a single week of vigorous vegetative growth can result in almost twice the harvest weight which brought me to that conclusion with what you said about transplanting a week before flowering. (His blogs are really good, consistent 20 ounce plants under 600 watt hps)

Were the plants used in the side by side grow both clones from the same mother plant, grown for the same amount of time. Transplanted at same time into same size pots etc? No pest or health issues?

Not trying to prove you wrong mate, just really interested in how roots grow and form during flowering to improve future harvests :)

Totally makes sense that a plant will form roots when there is space available, and like Kushtie said he has seen it happen in hydro where the roots have a less restricted area to grow. And obviously a root bound plant will not perform as well as a plant growing with enough space...

On the other hand, especially for those growing in soil - An over-sized container would surely lead to over watering, or at the very least have less than perfect nutrient uptake and oxygen availability within the medium opening the door for root rot, salt buildup and pH issues. Unless watering, and feeding were done at a less intensive rate which seems a little step backwards since the use of the larger pot was to increase yield...

Edit

From what I've found is the most important part of root formation that takes place during the flowering period is in the first two - three weeks (stretch)

After that, the plants are replacing old roots, and filling parts of the container that are not rooted. So transplanting a week or two before flipping to 12/12 would be advised.

What do you guys think?

Dunno if it's worth the risk bud. After stretch I've observed much less root growth than before stretch so I guess the safest bet is to get transplanting shock out of the way and then flower in a pot that's plenty big enough.

Wish I had the option of transplanting in NFT.....the pump was trimming the roots on my auto purple amnesia for the last few weeks :biglaugh:

:thumb:

You replied just as I typed the essay above haha.

From a bit of research and a good head scratch I had came to pretty much the same conclusion that it's the first couple of weeks of flowering where most of the roots are formed. But the consensus seems to be to double the pot size about a week before flipping the plant into flowering.

:laughtwo::laughtwo: By the look of your harvests the pump doing a bit of root trimming isn't all a bad idea. Could be a good new inovative piece of growing kit... Automatic root pruning for hydro systems....

You heard it here first, Copyright 2016 :rofl::rofl:

The flowering tent ;)

IMG_2078_1_.JPG
IMG_2081_1_.JPG
IMG_2082_1_.JPG
IMG_2079_1_.JPG
IMG_2080_1_.JPG
IMG_2083_1_.JPG

Looking great mono and yes definately makes sense that's how I've also done it, with my extra large amount of medium she has filled it all no worries, that blue blueberry is going to be a ripper mate

Those plants are very healthy and happy. Looks like they will reward your effort, and all in record time as well.

I think anyone would be happy with 1/2 that monster.

Cheers

Finally it's time to start training Mono's Monster 2.0 into a high yielding plant. We have round 8 inches of clear stem between the first set of leaves and the coco. Allowing for lower sucker branches being removed during early flowering that should leave around 12 inches, plenty of room to work with :thumb:

It's going to get meticulous now, tying down and removing leaves on a near daily basis now for the next 6-7 weeks. The biggest pain is going to be removing all the ties, transplanting and tying her back down again haha

IMG_2089_1_.JPG
IMG_2088_1_.JPG

High Mono. Great to see you back in action mate! :)
Our grow lives seem to parody each other atm. I too had land lord issues last year. Luckily they didn't call the cops. Just asked me to move which spurred me into buying my own place so ended up being a good thing. I did lose my first attempt at a monster tho which sucked...
I'm now working on another and she's looking great! Swing by sometime and we can compare notes! In the mean time I'll pull up a chair back here and fire up the portable vape! :volcano-smiley:

Finally it's time to start training Mono's Monster 2.0 into a high yielding plant. We have round 8 inches of clear stem between the first set of leaves and the coco. Allowing for lower sucker branches being removed during early flowering that should leave around 12 inches, plenty of room to work with :thumb:

It's going to get meticulous now, tying down and removing leaves on a near daily basis now for the next 6-7 weeks. The biggest pain is going to be removing all the ties, transplanting and tying her back down again haha

IMG_2089_1_.JPG
IMG_2088_1_.JPG
Looking great mono, about the transplanting and re tying ,I cut of the top of the grow bag the plant is in leaving all ties attatched Like a ring.

I transplant then attatch the ring to the new grow bag it is very easy hassle free.

I grow in extra large polypropylene shopping bags they only cost 2 dollars each so I'm not fussed on cutting them.

Need some advice here. Looked into 12/12 just recently and wanted to do some photos on my balcony. Cant have them in big pots, prob around 8" diam. Would this work out ok and keep the plants small? If parents come round i need to move them to the dry room and covered with black bin bags. I intend to leave on balcony and cover and uncover every 12 hours for natural sun (faces south too). Plants can only reach a height of 12" or so. Anyone think this is doable?

Hi Mondo, looking good. I moved my seedlings into my 12/12 tent at 7 days above ground. It's on now, I'll see how it goes.

Cheers

Update time

Been a few days (lol) since my last post. Work has been coming in left right and centre :)

Anyway, flowering is well under way in the tent. Currently on day 21 of approximately 60 for the northern lights x blueberry and i must admit im pleased with the bud formation so far :thumb:

Feeding at full strength 1.5 liters of nurtrient solution per plant per day. No more training to do on them so time to sit back and watch them grow...

Mono's Monster 2.0 is another story all together...

Pics First :)

Back
Top Bottom