Motafina Fall 2019: Hulkberry, Damnesia, Jack Herrer, Gelato OG

Yeah it WAS pricey and like you I only got one (felt really lucky when the nbr of seeds had a single!) so putting faith in RQS for that one; against advice!
I got a big bee in my bonnet about lots of seed companies and the way they do business with promos n free seeds, grinders etc etc and to get to the actual product and find I can only pay top dollar for more seeds than I want as a minimum really is a bugbear.
Not to mention the way they use flowering time as the benchmark to growers amongst other 'less than helpful' practises.
I get why, but don't think it helps the customer in long run.
Seedbanks that offer cheaper individual seeds, no freebies and specs n reviews is like unicorn tears!
Sorry, just had a hit off my ak47 got me on my soap box.
Anyhow, I'll be keeping a watchful eye on yours for tips ;)

Update - Day 19 from seed - Day 15 of veg:

I topped everyone today. Here's some pics:

Next tasks will be to install the 400W Metal Halide bulb and then start some trimming and training on lower branches.

Oooh you gon' done it now ..!

Now sit n watch them take off.

Yeah it WAS pricey and like you I only got one (felt really lucky when the nbr of seeds had a single!) so putting faith in RQS for that one; against advice!
I got a big bee in my bonnet about lots of seed companies and the way they do business with promos n free seeds, grinders etc etc and to get to the actual product and find I can only pay top dollar for more seeds than I want as a minimum really is a bugbear.
Not to mention the way they use flowering time as the benchmark to growers amongst other 'less than helpful' practises.
I get why, but don't think it helps the customer in long run.
Seedbanks that offer cheaper individual seeds, no freebies and specs n reviews is like unicorn tears!
Sorry, just had a hit off my ak47 got me on my soap box.
Anyhow, I'll be keeping a watchful eye on yours for tips ;)

Free seeds haven't really worked out so well for me yet. I've been enticed by the offers, but when I got the seeds, I wasn't really that interested in the strains. This grow, the Jack Herrer and the Gelat.OG are both freebies. We'll see how they do!

Update - Day 22 from seed - Day 18 of Veg:

All is well. I'm continuing to do some trimming of lower leaves and branches and doing some very mild training (just with my fingers) to get the branches to start getting used to growing horizontal. I might have made a mistake by not getting started on trimming earlier. At this point, it looks like I'll be trying a quadline on the Damnesia, and some sort of general topping/training on the others. It'll be a good learning experience/experiment.

Pictures are from before I did some more trimming of lower branches:

Looking nice and healthy @MotaFina . great job bro.

Thanks Sparkey. Not sure why, but I'm finding it hard to commit to the quadline training. I probably should've started it earlier. Now they're growing so fast and healthy, I hate to trim them down to the fourth node for the quad. The Damnesia is the only one going quad for now.

Update - Day 25 from seed - Day 21 of Veg:

I installed the metal halide light. I think the amount of light from the 8 CFLs was sufficient for this stage, but I have to group them together too much using those bulbs. With the MH, I can spread them out more. I removed 4 CFL bulbs. And I've been tying down branches to get horizontal growth.

Here's pics:

Damnesia:

Gelat.OG:

Hulkberry:

Jack Herrer:

Tent Shot:

Full Tent Shot:

Next tasks will be up-potting to 3-gallon plastic pots in about a week. And I'll continuing with training. I'll top all branches once they get above 4 nodes.

Update - Day 32 from seed - Day 28 of veg:

All plants have been up-potted and almost all branches have been topped the 2nd time.

For up-potting, I first mixed up some of my recharged supersoil with additional worm castings, a mild amount (1 Tbsp/gal of soil) of Earth Juice dry 'Grow' organic fertilizer, a very small amount of Coast of Maine fish bone meal, a little Big Foot Mycorrhorizae, and additional perlite for drainage. This mix I put into the bottom 1/3 or so of the pots. Then I pulled the plants out of their 1-gal pots and placed them into the 3-gal pots. I then packed straight Stonington blend with added perlite around the roots.

The plan is to use mostly plain water and an occasional compost tea for the next two weeks. That should give the plants' roots time to fill out to the edge of the pots. I'll then up-pot again to their final containers, which will probably be 3 x 7-gal fabic pots and one 10-gal plastic pot for the Damnesia. Once in their final pots, I'll go another 1-2 weeks before flipping. How long will be determined by how fast they grow. I don't want them to get too big for the tent.

I topped all the branches that had grown clear of their 4th node. A few weren't quite there yet, so those will get topped tonight.

I'll post some picture tomorrow.

Update - Day 39 from seed - day 35 of veg

Pictures and commentary:

Jack Herrer: She's doing great, although showing some signs of stress or something. The upper parts of branches seem soft and the topmost growth is kind of wispy, not super robust. But I think overall this one is doing well:

Hulkberry:
This one seems to have stalled somewhat from the transplant. It looks really healthy overall, but has fallen a bit behind the others in size. And I had to wait almost an extra week before she had cleared the 4th node on a couple of branches. She seems to be putting her energy into branches and (I'm guessing) roots, as the stalk is the thickest of the lot even though she's the shortest plant. Hopefully she'll start growing more up top and start charging along again:

Gelat.OG: This and the Damnesia are the healthiest....still growing really well. The Gelato has lots of branches, so is growing different from the Damnesia, but is charging right along:

Damnesia:
She's a quadline and is doing amazing. I'm beginning to appreciate the difference with the quad, in the strength of the branches and in how it directs the plant's energy into just the topmost branches. So far, so good:

Tent shot:
I'll need to raise the MH light up a few inches pretty soon. All in all, this grow is going along as planned. I just wish the Hulkberry would pick up and grow a little faster. Next up will be up-potting again to their final pots and then some defoliation on the lower branches - to prevent larfy buds, and to get some airflow down there.

Hey there Mota, gonna pull up a seat for this one if you don't mind. Cheers!

Absolutely! Thanks so much for stopping by.

Grow looks good Mota! Loving the look of the Jack. I have two going right now.

This Jack's a little odd, but seems healthy overall....I'm hoping for the best!

Update - Day 46 from seed - Day 42 of veg

We're six weeks into veg now. I'll start transplanting to their final pots this week, let them get used to the new pots for a week, then do a light defoliation of the lower branches. After that, it'll be another week to flip. These girls are doing great. Here's some pictures:

Quick update - all plants are now transplanted into their final pots. I'll post pictures later.

I transplanted the Jack Herrer and Hulkberry into two fabric pots that had been cleaned thoroughly from their last use, then dried in the sun and stored in the garage. A day after I transplanted into these two, they started to stink of mildew. That's got me a little concerned and making me think that maybe I'll go back to using plastic exclusively. I like the configuration of the fabric pots - the lower profile. And the air-pruning is a good argument. But so far, I can't really tell any difference in final product - in either yield or quality. And if you need to replace them with each use to prevent mildew, the cost factor goes in favor of plastic.

I had planned to put the other two into two brand new fabric pots I got off Amazon. They're supposedly 7-gal pots, but they sure seemed small. I reluctantly transplanted the Damnesia into one of them, then decided they look more like 5-gal. So I'm leaving the Damnesia in the new pot, but I put the Gelat.OG into a 7-gal plastic. The plastic pot is a few inches taller than the fabric, so now I'm looking at a pretty uneven cannopy.

Pictures to come later today.

Here's the pics:

Tent shot: The two fabric pots in front were used in a previous grow and are smelling like mildew. Hopefully it'll go away and not affect anything.

Damnesia: Quadline - growing a little leggy conpared to the others, but also has been tied down to even it out. So it should fill up in the middle over the next few days.

Gelat.OG: This one looks really good. It's the tallest to begin with, and the it's in a taller plastic pot. So I need to boost the others up a little to even it all up.

Hulkberry: Cruising along. A little behind the others, but I think she'll do well overall.

Jack Herrer: This one seems a little sensitive. Sometimes she looks a little droopy....other times she looks just fine. Not sure what's up with that. She looks great right now!

Here's the tent at 7 weeks into veg:

Jack Herrer is in front-left and Hulkberry in front-right. Both these pots are sitting on about 4" of books to stay even with the plants in the back.

Gelat.OG in back-left and Damnesia in back-right.

The Hulkberry is staying very low - probably not more than 8" tall at this point. I'm hoping to see a lot of stretch on this one after the flip.

I plan to flip in one week. I'll be doing some defoliation of the lower branches (leaves and unproductive branches) over the next couple of days. Then I'll probably do another cleanup between weeks 2 and 3 after the flip.

Back
Top Bottom