MotaFina - 2nd Indoor Grow - Damnesia & Special Kush - Supersoil - HID

Did they stretch much under the MH ? They look tall, how high are they from soil ?

Do they have some premature yellowing this time ? Hard to tell under the HPS... everything looks yellow ;-)

BP

They about doubled in size. The tallest tops are about 25 inches from the soil. Not sure how big they would have gotten under HPS. They're still pretty fragile, but are really starting to stink!

No premature yellowing yet, nothing like that last batch. Hopefully the switch to HPS won't bring that on.

One interesting thing about this grow is that the leaves are all pretty small. There are no really big fan leaves at all. And it doesn't appear to be a phenotype, as both strains are that way.

One interesting thing about this grow is that the leaves are all pretty small. There are no really big fan leaves at all. And it doesn't appear to be a phenotype, as both strains are that way.

Generally, blue light suppresses extension growth; plants grown with blue light are usually shorter and have smaller, thicker and darker green leaves compared to plants grown without blue light...

From this site : Effects of Blue Light on Plants – Greenhouse Product News

Generally, blue light suppresses extension growth; plants grown with blue light are usually shorter and have smaller, thicker and darker green leaves compared to plants grown without blue light...

From this site : Effects of Blue Light on Plants – Greenhouse Product News

That would explain it! MH throughout veg supplemented with 6500K CFLs = lots of blue light. I did nearly the same on my last grow, except I started the grow with a transitional MH bulb that had much more red light. I had large fan leaves on the last grow.

Update - Day 71 - Day 16 of 12/12 - Day 8 of Flower:

I watered today with almost full strength NFTG nutrients. It's hard to get a good photo with the HPS in place, but here are a few pics:

TentBud_10_18_17.JPG

10-gal pot:

D2Bud_10_18_17.JPG

Special K:

SKBud_10_18_17.JPG

Damnesia:

Bud_10_18_17.JPG

They're looking great so far.

The warm weather this year is helping, but I'm sure cooler days are coming. I've got a removable venting system to the outside. I have to manually cap it in the evening when lights go out, and remove the cap and insert the exhaust tube in the morning before lights go on. If I were to forget to do this on a really cold night, it could mean very cold plants in the morning.

Here's what I'm talking about:

Vent101817.JPG

Update - Day 76 - Day 21 of 12/12 - Day 13 of flower:

Watered today with 3/4 strength NFTG nutes. Everything's going well so far. Here are some bud pics:

Bud3_10_22_17.JPG

Bud2_10_22_17.JPG

Bud10_22-17.jpg

The one below is the Damnesia in the 10-gal pot. The buds are filling in significantly more on this one than the smaller pots. Not sure if it's the root space or the pheno, but I'm liking it!

Bud4_10_22_17.JPG

Darn token expired... :nomo:

Looking great !

Less than 50 days left ? Harvest around mid-december, just before Xmas ?

Yeah, Special K should be done in ~6 more weeks - so the first week of December. It should be dried and almost cured by Xmas!

The Damnesia need 1-2 more weeks than the Kush - so harvest should be just before Christmas.

Update - Day 80 - Day 25 of 12/12 - Day 17 of flowering:

Watered today with 1/2 strength NFTG nutes - 4 gallons total - using the "Early Flowering" schedule. I added Bloom Khaos into the nute mixture (it's typically a foliar application up to mid-flower) and added an extra tablespoon of Herculean Harvest to give the BK extra calcium to work with.

Here's some pictures:

Damnesia 2 (in 10-gal pot):

D2_10_27_17.JPG

Damnesia 3 (in 5-gal pot):

D1_10_27_17.JPG

Special Kush (7-gal pot):

SpecialK_10_27_17.JPG

Special Kush bud:

SKBud_10_27_17.JPG

Damnesia bud:

DamnesiaBud_10_27_17.JPG

I'm noticing a little deficiency in a few lower leaves - interveinal chlorosis - possibly magnesium deficiency. I'll have to keep my eye on that.

Beautiful photo SK-Bud...

lol...there's hope for me yet. It's amazing how much the trichomes stand out when using the flash. Those shots are from an old point-and-shoot. I'll have to try out my wife's DSLR one of these days.

Are the buds getting chunkier, or are they in that phase when it looks like nothing is happening ?

Yeah, the later for sure. They're just slowly gaining some girth, but it's pretty slow going.

We had a wind storm & power outage for about 7 hours yesterday during lights-on. I wasn't too sure what to do, but I decided to just let them complete their 12 hours last night, then reset the timer back to the normal routine this morning. So they only had about 5 hours of darkness. Hopefully not a big problem.

I'll post some pics when I get some time later today.

Update - Day 84 - Day 29 of 12/12 - Day 21 of flowering:

I've been seeing a continuation of the deficiency on lower leaves, especially on the Damnesia plants. So yesterday, during the power outage, I watered with FULL strength Nectar for the Gods fertilizer - early flowering schedule. They seemed to like that, as even those lower leaves are now standing more at attention. I'm still uncertain what's causing the deficiency.

- nitrogen deficiency
- magnesium deficiency
- too much light
- not enough light getting to lower branches
- too much time between watering
- too much water in the lower half of the buckets
- ????

I hope I'm not seeing the beginnings of a repeat of the last grow, where the yellowing leaves took over the plant and the plants pretty much died before being harvested. A lot of things changed in this grow, and some things stayed the same. So, again it would be hard to pinpoint the problem.

Still, overall, the plants are looking great and growing well.

Here's pictures:

Grow room shots - starting farther out and getting closer in:

DSC_014140.JPG

DSC_013942.JPG

DSC_014043.JPG

DSC_014245.JPG

Bud shots:

Bud_10_31_17.JPG

Bud6_10_31_17.JPG

Bud5_10_31_17.JPG

Bud4_10_31_17.JPG

Bud3_10_31_17.JPG

Bud2_10_31_17.JPG

I think that to some extent... the slow dying of lower parts of the plant is somewhat normal.
I think the plant feels it is easier to get some of the nutrients she needs from lower leaves rather than from the roots.
And she cares less and less about those lower leaves, as she's programmed to die after flowering, so...

But I know how you feel, and we'd wish for the plant to stay pretty, green, and healthy all the way !

One thing is for sure, you are not in the same boat you were on the last grow.
Flowering is well established, and you have minimal concerns in comparison to last grow.

It'll all be fine. :thumb:

BP.

Update - Day 88 - Day 33 of 12/12 - Day 25 of flower:

I'm finding it necessary to water every other day now. I'm settling into a routine of feed, feed, water, feed, feed, water....although I might try to add a compost tea into the mix. Never done one, but I'd like to get some fresh microbes into the soil.

I had a little scare. One of the upper buds on Damnesia #1 had some ugly brown leaves that looked very much like bud rot. Initially I just trimmed away the brown leaves and frantically searched the Internet for info on bud rot. Apparently it typically starts inside the bud and works it's way out. I got out my magnifying glass and took a closer look. I didn't see anything at all in the inner part of the bud...it appears to have only affected a few small leaves. But just to be safe, I cut off the top 3 inches or so of that bud. I checked the humidity level in the tent and it's only 45%, so not too high. I also realized that this strain is a cross between Amnesia and a strain called "A.M.S", short for "Anti-Mold Strain". So, I'm not too worried at this point and I haven't seen any more of it.

Here's a shot of the bud where it happened. It looks bad in the photo, but that's just shadow. I don't see any discoloration at all within the bud:

P11100013.JPG

Here are some more photos from today:

Damnesia 3 - you can see a little of the yellowing lower down in the first shot. This seems to be limited mostly to D1 (7-gal pot) and D3 (5-gal pot). D2 in 10-gal pot is green all the way down:

P11009941.JPG

P11009921.JPG

P11009931.JPG

Assorted bud shots:

P11100022.JPG

P11009991.JPG

P11009981.JPG

P11009971.JPG

P11009961.JPG

P11009951.JPG

Back
Top Bottom