Motafina Fall 2019: Hulkberry, Damnesia, Jack Herrer, Gelato OG

Good call on the removing the lower stuff.....was going to recommend that before you flip. Open that canopy up and that light do its magic!

I'm not very aggressive with pruning....I should probably cut more. I didn't remove any fan leaves. I'll post pictures.

I gave them their first tea feeding yesterday. Hoping to have the microbes break down all those amendments in the soil.

Here's pictures from this morning - day 57 from seed - 53 of veg.

First off, here's the defoliation job. This is pre-flip so I didn't want to remove the big 'solar panel' fans up top, just clear out the small branches that won't ever reach into the canopy. I'll do another pruning at about 2 weeks after flipping to 12/12.

Damnesia:

Gelat.OG:

And here's a tent shot and some individual shots from above:

Gelato:

Jack Herrer:

Hulkberry:

and Damnesia (from above and from the side):

I'm planning to flip them in two days. So they'll be starting week 9 of veg in 12/12. I count flowering days from the first sign of pistils, so maybe 7-10 days after flip. Given most of these are 10-week strains, I'm looking at having these buds in jars right around Christmas!

Update - Day 60 from seed - Day 56 of veg - Day 2 of 12/12:

I flipped to 12/12 on Saturday - two days earlier than I had planned.

The plants are getting big....I'm worried they'll outgrow my space. The Jack Herrer and Hulkberry I can drop about 4 inches if necessary, but the Gelato and Damnesia could get pretty big. My experience with the Damnesia is about 70-80% increase in height during stretch. The Gelato I have no idea, but it's indica-dominate so maybe it won't stretch too much.

Next up will be swapping out the 400w MH to the 1000w HPS, probably in about a week from today.

Here's some photos and descriptions of buds I've got stored in jars from my last two grows. Most are about 6 months old. But the older cookies buds are now 10 months old.

Liberty Haze - harvested 4/15/19:
These buds are not super dense, but not at all airy or light. This was the biggest plant of the last crop. It yielded over 8 oz. They smell very fruity, with strawberry and blueberry dominating. It's not super strong, but definitely does the job and is a sativa-leaning high. I've found a few seeds in a couple of buds, so not sure what happened there. I think I may have pollen lingering in the tent from my first grow in this tent a couple years back.

RQS Critical - harvested 4/6/19:
This plant yielded just under 7 ounces of pretty dense and very aromatic buds. The smell just permeates the room when you open the jar. It's hard to nail down a description of the aroma, but it's dank, a little earthy and with some skunky/perfumy combination. A very enjoyable smoke - indica dominant - but not couchlock-inducing. Just a nice, fun high.

Royal Cookies - harvested 11/30/18:
This stuff is DENSE and STICKY. It's so sticky that we've taken to mixing it with other strains just so it doesn't gum up the grinder too bad. Plant produced about 5 1/4 ounces. Buds are still smoking excellent after 10 months. They smell a little of soap and lavender mixed with a little earth and dank. Super strong - hard hitting, but with a nice sociable high.

Royal Cookies - harvested 4/13/19:
We haven't gotten into these jars much yet since we've still got the older plant - probably 1/2 oz to go. This plant produced just over 5 oz. It's a strange strain. The plants almost seem mutant with leaves having overlapping lobes, branching that is not normal for cannabis, and no really big buds - just little ones. I didn't expect to get much out of either of these plants, but in the end, the buds are so dense and resinous that the weight is much higher than you'd expect from the size of the plant. Same qualities as the earlier plant, but buds are not quite as sticky.

Damnesia - harvested 4/16/19:

My wife's favorite.... produces fat, dense buds with a wonderful aroma and high. I've grown this a few times now and it always comes out similar, so it's a fairly stable strain. I've seen two phenotypes, and mostly just one of them appears. The buds dry in a way that has a grassy aroma on the outside, but when you begin breaking it up, the true smell comes out. It's a dank, slightly skunky aroma mixed with a sweet candy-like smell that is hard to describe. The high is uplifting and long lasting. It's a little heady for me so I have to be careful with this one. This plant produced 6 2/3 oz.

Beautiful plants man. I think the main difference between our grows as far as soil goes is that I used the Nectar for the Gods #8 soil to cut into supersoil and haven't been adding additional nutes besides what they get from my EWC tea and epsom salts. Do you like the Coast of Maine soil? I saw it at the grow store the other day in town.. I live 15 minutes from the Coast of Maine :) Take it easy - jodyhighrollr

Do you like the Coast of Maine soil? I saw it at the grow store the other day in town.. I live 15 minutes from the Coast of Maine :) Take it easy - jodyhighrollr
Hey Jody...thanks for stopping in.

Yeah, I love their Stonington Blend. Its a great soil available locally at a decent price. I also re-use my old soils. I do several transplants - 4" pot --> 1 gal --> 3 gal --> 7 gal. I like to start out with pure Stonington Blend, then add progressively more of my supersoil to the pots when I up-pot. The 7-gal pot gets pure supersoil.

I thought my supersoil for this batch might be a little 'hot', but the plants seem to love it so far.

I also use the Nectar for the Gods liquid fertilizers, but I don't use much until I'm into flower.

Update - Day 68 - Day 2 of flower:

It took 9 days for pistils to appear on all plants. They started to appear first on the Gelato, probably due to it being Indica? I installed the 1000w HPS bulb and watered last night. The plants looked a little sad this morning, but hopefully that's just temporary. Here's some pics:

Looking like a jungle in there Mota! :popcorn:
No kidding man. It's hard to get a decent photo because it's all one big mass of vegetation. I'm going to take them out of the tent to clean it out real good. I'll try to get some decent pics then.

Next up will be tucking, folding, supercropping and finally defoliating the lowers again.

18 days from seed - 14 days Veg: Yesterday I put the lights and intake fan on a timer. It's set to run from 2 PM to 8 AM (18/6...down from 24/0).

The plants are already growing out their sixth node, so tonight I'll top them all down to 4 nodes. I would have done it last night, but I was ripped! In my too-stoned state, I felt bad for the plants....they looked so good, I couldn't bring myself to cut them!
Lol I’ve done the same exact thing in the past for the same reason :ganjamon:

All caught up and your plants look great!:slide: :popcorn:
Thanks Candycane!

I'm just starting to notice some interveinal discoloration on the Damnesia. It's just in the very topmost leaves, so I think it might be light stress, but could be the beginnings of some nutrient problem too. I'll try to get a picture when my lights come on tonight.

Ok, here's pictures of the changes to the Damnesia. This has happened pretty much overnight. I run lights 6 PM to 6 AM and I checked in at about 5:50 AM yesterday and noticed just the faint beginnings of the discoloration on the Damnesia. At around 9 PM last night I checked them and took these pictures. So whatever is the problem, it's progressing quickly. I'm guessing Potassium toxicity or maybe just light stress. No lower leaves are affected, and the very newest leaves look fine too. Just those newer leaves that are approaching full size are affected. Any ideas, opinions or advice would be appreciated. Here's pics:

Dang! @MrSauga is the bomb at problem solving he might be able to help you better than I could. I’m leaning towards the potassium issue but I’ve not run into this particular type of problem yet..

The problem on the upper leaves of the Damnesia hasn't spread much, so I think I'm just going to let it ride for now. I see a tiny bit of it on two of the other plants too, but doesn't seem to be increasing or spreading. So maybe it was just heat or light stress from the introduction of the HPS bulb....not sure.

I gave them a taste of the Nectar for the Gods nutes last night. 1/2 dosage. Day 9 of flower now. I'll try to get pictures tonight when the lights are on.

I was only able to get a couple of pictures before my camera battery crapped out. Here's Damnesia and Gelato:

Hard to tell on the Damnesia, but I trimmed off a bunch of the lower growth. I'm not very aggressive with that....nowhere near lollypop-ing it.

Update - Day 80 - Day 14 of flowering:

The plants are doing well. I'm starting a routine of water, feed, water, feed, water tea. I'm only feeding 1/2 strength and adding cal-mag on the plain water days. I'm starting to add SLF-100 (enzyme) on alternating feed days. I finished up my trimming of the lower branches.

Here's pics:

First, here's the trim job on the Hulkberry and Jack Herrer:

Some tent shots:

The girls:

and some budlets:

I'm not seeing any one plant in the bunch standing out above the rest. They all look great at this point. One thing of note is that the plastic pot requires much less water than the fabric pots. I'm giving the Gelato about 1/2 as much water as all the others.

Update - Day 87 - Day 22 of flower:

I'm already starting to see some signs of fading on lower leaves and bigger fans. But other than that, they're still coming along nicely. Gelato, Hulkberry and JH are all stacking really nice. The Damnesia is falling somewhat behind...not bulking up like it should. It's a 10 week strain, so hopefully she'll thicken up.

Back
Top Bottom